“RIchmond is a nice stay....5/10/09 & 5/15/09” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
20% OFF OUR BEST RATE!
Ranked #138 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Michigan
“RIchmond is a nice stay....5/10/09 & 5/15/09”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Richmond the evening before and an evening after our Cruise. We arrived on 5/10/09 around 12:30pm, knowing we could not check in until 4, we were able to change clothes, and check our luggage with them until our room was ready. We took a walk down Oceanview Ave, located behind the hotel and we on our adventure to find lunch. About a 15 minute walk we were on a nice strip of shopping and cafe style eateries. We ended up at a place called "the Front Porch", I had their Chicken Parmesen with Pasta Salad, and my husband enjoyed a club sandwich. Both were very good, service was great too! Considering this was Mother's Day and mid afternoon the city was bustling with people, but the staff was very attentive. We walked back to the hotel and sat pool side for a little while, and were able to check in around 3pm. The room was on the smaller side, but was clean, and very cozy. After reading some reviews here, we were a bit skeptical but found our fears pushed aside. Our room was a smoking room by request, and faced another building. The hotels in this area are very close together, however we never heard a peep in our room from the other facilities.
We experienced no problems with any staff member, or the amenities. The only complaint was the hotel resturant is pricey, but we knew this from reading other posts. Pancakes w/meat were $15.50. McDonalds is just a short 7 minute walk to Lincoln Rd.
The short walk to the beach was great! We also ate dinner at a place called BBQ Beach, located just a block down from the McDonalds. Great Food and service! Portions are large, my husband and I could have shared a meal!! Avg meal was around $20 a piece.

After our crusie we stayed another night at the Richmond. We arrived at 9:30AM and once again were prepared to check our luggage and walk the town, however the front desk clerk checked to see if our room was available and it was! We immediately put our stuff away and off to town we went. This time our room was larger (#420), however we could not adjust the air conditioner temperature nor turn it off. We did mention this to the staff, and the front desk clerk apologized immensly. This room faced the pool area to the other hotel, not a bad view at all. This room was also an adjoining room, we did hear some noise from the neighbors side but nothing other than their water running.
Both rooms were equipped with safes and were very comfy. Location in the city is great! Walking distance to everything! Our second room (420) did not have a hairdryer so we informed the front desk and had one delivered within 10 minutes to our room. We did enjoy the best Strawberry Daquri's at the resturant, they were made with fresh strawberries and no syrup base flavoring. But we suggest waiting for the drink special as our first two drinks were $29, but they went on sale 2 for 1 during happy hour (4-6pm), so the next two were only $14. The cook/bartender was very articulate about his preparation of our drinks...he was great and even delivered them to us poolside.

We would definitely stay here again however we were informed that eventually they will be a smoke=free facility. Bummer for us with that bad habit. We do recommend to check out Orbitz, Expedia, etc for the best price. We paid under $100 the first stay and under $130 the second.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Gravesend, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

we only stayed at the richmond for a couple of nights, if u want to stay at an artdeco style hotel for a reasonable price then this hotel isnt to bad. the checkin is 4pm and the hotel was not accommadting in getting us a room any earlier even though we arrived at 10am on our honeymoon. but apart from this the hotel is well situated wiv lincoln drive 5mins walk away. wiv some lovely restaurants, bars and shops,the beach can be reached by going through the swimming pool area which does not have many sunbeds at the back of the hotel. the rooms were comfortable decorated in the artdeco style, some would say old fashioned ( der) its supposed to be like that. the room size i thought was ok, i think some people believe a room should be the size of an apartment. its supposed to be a room to sleep in and get ready in.if u want a hotel in a good position at a reasonable price that is comfortable and clean then i would recommend the richmond. no it is not one of the best hotels in miami, if u want that, then go and pay hundreds of $ but still get a room not much bigger than one at this hotel

Staffordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

My wife and I were taking a three week vacation in Florida. At short notice we decided to have a long weekend in Miami Beach. We were recommended the National Hotel, right on the beach, but this was too expensive ($390 per room per night) for our budget, so we used lastminute.com and found the art deco Richmond Hotel, right on the beach and just one block away from the National, at half the price. This turned out to be a good choice. We were able to park our car in a nearby car park and leave it there for the weekend - Miami beach is very congested and busy, but you can get almost everywhere by walking if you choose a central location. We were allocated a decent sized and clean room on the third floor. some traffic noise at the front of the hotel - better to request a room at the rear; helpful staff; a very friendly and interesting octogenarian proprietor (who turned out to be a gold medal winner at the Chelsea flower show some years earlier) a lovely pool/jacuzzi in the rear garden, which leads directly on to the beach itself.

We took breakfast in the hotel one morning, ok but more expensive than the restaurants in the nearby pedestrianised shopping street Lincoln Road.
Overall we were very happy with our choice and would certainly use this hotel again in the future.

Altrincham, Cheshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

We arrived at The Richmond late afternoon after a long transatlantic (UK) flight. The receptionist was very helpful and we were given room 523 which was located towards the rear of the property and boasted a sun deck area (sunbeds etc.). The room was fine, clean, airy, (air con ok) light and adequate for our 4 night stay. The hot water took a while to run hot and the air con units from the surrouding buildings were slightly noisy.
The location of the hotel was near all the shops and just through the back gate was the magnificent beach. The pool area / garden was fine ,but in busy periods you would struggle for a sunbed. It has loads of shade under the palm trees if required. We did not experience the hotel food, there are many food outlets not very far away (Lincoln / Collins ave area)
We enjoyed our stay at the Richmond and we returned to the hotel after our cruise a week later for 5 hours whilst awaiting flight home. We used all the facillties at no extra cost!
Despite £/$ @ 1.50 not a bad deal via Hotel.com (shop around for best deal!)

Newyork
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

Greetings to those reading this review and who might plan a trip to the infamous south beach hotel known as The Richmond. I have traveled these past years back and forth from New york to Miami to attend various social events and enjoy the thrill of the diverse culture and nightlife accompanied by the title that Miami Beach has earned itself. But to be frank the Richmond has really disapointed me this year. My stay was brief but my experience was unforgettable most of the staff was courteous and understanding while some mainly in the management department and front desk were just plain out rude. Now keep in mind I have worked with various hotels throughtout my life as a manager myself and have earned plenty of commendations for my communications and service skills. But what was displayed to me in the form in which things run at this establishment is disturbing. I had booked a room through a agency which I prefer not to name to prevent damaged reputation. When i arrived i was greeted and was told my room would be ready at 4pm. After finally getting my key I entered the room and was quite unhappy with the smell of smoke. I called the front desk and politely asked for a room change. I was told to wait I did 2 hours later nothing could be done. I asked myself why it would take this long for a simple room availability check. I went down and spoke with the Front desk and asked to speak to the manager . They told me the manager was gone for the day and I then asked for a different room and suddenly a room popped up. I was escorted by a bellman to the new room and found it much worst then the next . I went back down to the frontdesk and was told thats as good as it gets and if Im not happy , to vacate the premises. There was no one of authority there I could speak with no help from anyone . After I checked out I asked for the manager once more and nothing more excuses. I wanted my refund and a talk with the owner but in the end i got none. This was the worst run facilities I have encountered with. And the parking prices were extremely expensive.Maybe I will get an explanation. Hope the readers understand why my stay was far from the average hotel experience.

• Stayed April 2009
New York, New york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

What a very nice and peaceful stay, I can help but tell others what a nice hotel and staff that this hotel has. It was a pleasure to stay there, the front desk staff was excellent. The front desk manager Richard was very helpful and went out of his way to suggest places to go and things to do. Very nice pool area and great location right on the beach. this hotel is within walking distance to everything in South Beach!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

We have just returned from a Cruise vacation, which ended on a sour note, as we'd booked one night in Miami at the end of the trip, at the Richmond Suites (part of the Richmond Hotel). The confirmation email said: a Deluxe Studio apartment, incl. kitchen, etc.) .
On arrival, we were told by the manager, Richard, that the check-in was only at 4pm, but he would see about getting us into a room earlier, which we thought was rather nice. From then on, the service rapidly deteriorated.

We were told by Richard that the apartment (suite) we had booked no longer exists, as they had been turned into a second hotel, and so he couldn't give us what we had paid for. So we had to stay in the hotel itself. We found this to be completely unacceptable, as we had obviously been mis-sold something and that's false advertising, which - as far as I know - is illegal. But as we only had one day in Miami, and a lot of luggage, we decided to make the best of it. The hotel looked nice enough from the outside, and the proximity to the beach was excellent. And that's the only good thing about this place.

After walking around Miami for a few hours, we returned to the hotel and were told room no. 336 was available. When the porter helped us take our luggage to the room Richard had allocated to us, we could immediately smell that it was a Smoking room, and when we informed Richard we had requested non-smoking, he told us we could move our own luggage into the next room available. No. 323 - a small, Non-smoking room - was what was allocated. We immediately changed and went to spend the day on the beach. On returning to the room, we showered and got ready for an evening out in Miami and then realised just how dirty the room was. Our feet got dirty just walking on the carpet and bathroom floor. The bathroom hadn't been cleaned - there were long black hairs everywhere (I have blonde hair). When we complained, Richard said he couldn't upgrade us, as he'd just given 2 SUITES to another two couples - who had arrived after us! - who'd insisted on being upgraded. (At this point, we had not realised that the suites he was referring to were the ones across the road - the ones we had actually booked in the first place!!!!!) But there was nothing we could do about this, as there were no more suites available.

To add insult to injury, the hotel bar overcharged us: we ordered 2 Virgin Pina Coladas, and - although no alcohol was in the drinks - they charged us for 'Alcoholic cocktails', at $7+ per drink (by the way, that's the price of an alcoholic Pina Colada on the very expensive Freedom of the Seas; the non-alcoholic/Virgin Pina Colada is only $4.00 on the ship)! We only saw this description on the bill when we checked out the following morning, but we were in such a rush, we couldn't do anything about that either.

The reason we were in such a rush? We'd requested a morning wake-up call the night before, stressing that we had to be up at 5:30am, in order to make our flight, and we awoke by ourselves at 6am, and had to rush to get ready. We had to take our own luggage downstairs (2 big suitcases and 4 carry-on's), and when we asked at Reception about the missed call, the night guy said the person we'd asked for a wake-up call (Joseu or something like that) never remembers to write it down. And he laughed.

I can honestly say that out of all the excellent 3* and up hotels we have stayed in, this is the second worst in the world. We should have taken heed of the negative comments on Tripadvisor, but there were a few good ones that we chose to believe instead. More fool us. Unfortunately, we'd already paid for the booking on Lastminute.com before we left home, so we couldn't even negotiate a better rate at the hotel. I emailed the hotel proprietor on our return, asking for an explanation and some sort of refund, but am still waiting for a reply. We did not get what we paid for and were lied to by the staff, and now they don't even have the decency to reply to an email.
Disgusting.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Richmond Hotel? Share your experiences!