“Good stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #137 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Atlanta
“Good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

This was a really decent hotel. Im really picky about where I stay as well as how I flights friends say Im "Bougie". But I was definitely please with The Richmond, Great Location, within walking distance to Washington Ave and Ocean Dr. Directly on the beach, necxt door to Lowes and across the street from the Catalina Beach Club. The hotel is older but very clean and updated, the elevator was small. Customer Service was great,when requested something they brought it right away. The room was very clean, bed was comfortable, we were away from alot of noise, so no complaints with that. Only thing is we had to wait for like 6 hours upon check in, when Ismael told me that a room would be available for me when I arrive. Also, there were ants in the bathroom sink, but overall Great Stay, Clean, Comfortable, Excellent Location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from noise, walls are very thin.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
RichmondManager, Front Office Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for posting your review. We are happy you had a good experience. We always do our best to offer an early check in when ever possible, but unfortunately we were unable during your stay. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

As a general rule, I only write reviews if my experience has been absolutely wonderful or absolutely atrocious. Unfortunately, after my second experience at The Richmond, I am writing this detailed review with the hope of encouraging other tourists who visit South Beach to spend a little more money and stay at a well-regarded hotel that will actually allow you to ENJOY your time in the hotel. You never realize how critical a nice room and good customer service are until you are in a situation that lacks BOTH.

Many people believe that staying at this hotel is a wise decision, because it is in a fabulous location and extremely affordable. Well, the old-adage is true, "You get what you pay for." And this is worth keeping in mind as you make your vacation plans.

This was my second time staying at The Richmond Hotel in South Beach Miami and I will NEVER be returning. (The first time I came for a brief weekend stay and this last trip I was there for four nights.) I believe management has changed since my first visit, because there is not an aspect of my trip that didn't decline the second time around.

I have reviewed different aspects of the hotel in detail below by section.

FRONT DESK:
I knew that my friend and I were in for a rough visit when I called to make an edit to our reservation - I got hung up on THREE times by the front desk receptionist. Placing someone on hold and transferring a call is not difficult - especially when it is one of the primary duties of your job.

THE ROOM & HOUSE CLEANING SERVICE:
First off, our bed was a FULL-SIZED, not queen as advertised. We spoke with other guests at the hotel who had been deceived into signing up for the "Ocean Front View Package" and they also had a full-sized bed after being told they would have a queen. In addition to being small, the bed is hard, and the pillows are extremely overstuffed and the sheets didn't cover the entire bed. Nothing about the bed was relaxing at all. And an interesting side note on the "Ocean Front View Package" - the women we spoke with told us that the continental breakfast only includes one cup of coffee or tea, hard toast, and a fruit cup. I've stayed at much less expensive hotels, even some motels, that have a more enticing continental breakfast.

Second, there were bugs in our shower when we arrived....which I was actually willing to overlook, UNTIL we found an empty beer bottle underneath our bed.

Third, as other guests have observed, everyday house keeping came they removed all the towels, washcloths, hand towels, and floor mat, and they only left clean towels. Each day we had to call the front desk and request additional washcloths, floor mat, and hand towels. If you take something, you should replace it. Why is this such a hard concept to understand? I agree with other guests who have said that The Richmond attempts to portray a "green" identity when really they are just cheap. I also don't understand why it took twenty minutes for house keeping to bring additional items when they were requested. I believe the hotel could be understaffed or else the majority of the staff is incompetent - but then again, it could be both.

Fourth, I would be doing you a disservice if I didn't stress how THIN the walls were. Seriously, our neighbors woke us up by 7:30 each day. When I called the FRONT DESK to ask if they could speak to the neighbors and ask them to be quiet, the woman told me she would have the manager speak with them. I asked when the manger would be in and she said 10:30-11:00AM. I actually laughed. How did she think this was an appropriate way to resolve a problem that a customer is having in the moment??!

CHECK OUT & THE GENERAL MANAGER:
The checkout experience was the icing on the cake of this "wonderful" hotel experience. We overheard the people next to us telling the front desk that they actually had the names on their reservation COMPLETELY wrong - not misspelled - just 100% wrong. Our experience was ten times worse than theirs. It took us 40 minutes to check out and reconcile our bill. We were also overcharged for two nights of parking. After calling an employee who was on his day off, they removed one of the charges. But they insisted that we pay an additional night's parking fee when they couldn't find the proof that my friend paid for one night of valet service. It was absolutely ridiculous and had we stayed at a W or Hilton this never would have happened.

The general manager, Stuart, was a real piece of work. He spoke to me like I was a child and even told me that I was a liar. He also responded to all of my concerns by telling me that "other people like the hotel." I really shouldn't have been surprised considering the rest of the experience but still, I expect a manager to have a certain level of professionalism - ESPECIALLY in the hospitality industry.

*There is one EXCEPTION to this review, Chris, front-desk staff during the night shift. He was competent, friendly, & a pleasure to work with!

Room Tip: All rooms have paper thin walls. This will be a problem no matter what your plans - people wake up e...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
RichmondManager, Front Office Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Dear guest,
I'm sorry you had such a negative experience, and chose to portray the hotel in such a manner. I can guarantee you that we are a group of very competent people. The front desk staff are highly trained, and professional agents. I doubt very much, they would hang up on you 3 times. Perhaps other unknown factors may have been an issue. The hotel offers queen beds in every room, and not full size beds. We offer very comfortable mattresses, that are changed out every 6 months. The bugs in the shower, and the beer bottle under the bed are definitely unacceptable, and I will look into this personally. The hotel replaces all linens on daily basis. They may not have everything ready at the same time, and will bring it up later in the day. We consider ourselves a green hotel, because we are conscious of the environment. I don't understand what being cheap has to do with anything it, but I digress. You were not alone in the hotel, and your neighbors chose to begin the day at 7:30 AM. This was obviously a reasonable time for them. We will contact noisy guest's during the overnight hours, but someone people just start their day early. The General Manager of the hotel has been in the business for 25 years, and always displays the utmost professionalism.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

After arriving this past Friday night and requesting a different room due to the stench of cigarettes in our first room, we arrived to our room on the 4th floor after walking down the dungeon-like hallways. The room was dirty and the bathroom was worse than some gas station bathrooms I've been in (see picture attached). The room that had a locked connecting door but the door had about a 3-inch gap under it and thin walls. After trying unsuccessfully to stuff towels under the door in an attempt to muffle the sound of the girls staying next door, who were not yelling but speaking at a normal volume, I could not help feeling like the conversation next door was happening in my room. I went down stairs to ask the front desk to see if there were any rooms available without any neighbors after explaining that I could hear their entire conversation even though they were not yelling, the lady at the desk replied, "I know, all the rooms are like that, sorry. They sell earplugs at Walgreens around the corner if you like." Needless to say, we left the next morning after a horrible night sleep even though it meant forfeiting what we had prepaid for the weekend stay through Groupon.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs unless you plan on getting wasted every night just so you can pass out in the room.
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are a non smoking hotel, but unfortunately some people disregard the policy. I'm glad we were able to immediately resolve the issue, and assign you a different room. We take pride in the upkeep, maintenance, and daily service of all the rooms. We are a very long hotel, and so are the passageways. We keep them well lit, and very clean. Unfortunately the walls are a bit thin, but the 3 inch door gap estimate seems kind of excessive. The Front Desk Agent offered you the ear plug option as a possible solution, when no other options were available.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We stayed two nights at the Richmond and we enjoyed it. It was so close to everything and it was a fantastic price. The employees there were very nice. As other reviewers said, the walls were paper thin and you could hear everything your neighbor was saying. It didn't matter to us, we were out all night enjoying our vacation and literally slept when we needed to. The hotel is very clean. I check things like that since i am in property management and work at a high-rise. It has a nice pool and beach access. I would stay here again.

Dear guest,
Thank you for great review. We hope to see you again very soon.
Best regards,
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at The Richmond, and the experience was awesome! This quaint personable hotel nestled in the middle of S. Beach is a wonder. Great staff, clean rooms, great service and very elegant. Our concierge Mariano was fabulous. He really knows how to make a guest feel at home.

We were only a few minutes’ walk from Lincoln Plaza, a host of shops and restaurants and all the activities S. Beach offers. This hotel sits on the beach and is gated for security. Beautiful ambiance and décor and is affordably priced.

However, the walls are thin and the elevators are a bit small, we used the stairs the majority of our stay. The bed was a bit hard for my taste, however my husband loved it. My overall opinion of the hotel is EXCELLENT. I don't think I could have gotten a better deal with all the amenities, great service, and ambience in the thick of S. Beach Miami. So; Great Location - Great Price - Great Service - Great ambience. When vacationing in S. Beach we will always stay at The Richmond.

Mr. & Mrs. Hart

Room Tip: The also have apartment suites, because of the thin walls one of these rooms may suite you best.
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your great review. We are proud to be you home away from in Miami Beach.
Best regards,
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

We stayed here for a night before going on a cruise. And were so glad it was only one night. The front desk employees were friendly, but not very accommodating. After squeezing into their tiny, and I mean tiny, elevator we were overly anxious to see what type of room South Beach had to offer. It faced the street, but we could hardly even get the windows open to see out. We got them about 1/3 open before they stuck tight. The room itself was just ok, it wasn't the cleanest (dust on tv, chipped paint, damp carpet etc.). But it was the bathroom that really put me off. The shower curtain was really gross, there was still hair in the bathtub, and it did not appear to have been scrubbed down since the last few guests.

A call to the front desk proved disappointing. They said there were no comparable rooms that we could switch to. There wasn't even an offer to send someone up. Our next move was to just spend as little time there as possible, and just keep thinking "it's only one night here, it's only one night".

The location is great. You can walk to all the nightclubs, restaurants, and the beach which can't be beat. There was also a nice roof top sitting area- but it doesn't face the ocean. It's also surrounded by suites, which makes the area open and not private at all.

Overall, I found the art deco theme to be a cover-up for the lack of updates and cleanliness of the hotel. Did I mention the tiny elevator? If you suffer from claustrophobia you're going to be taking the stairs. I would not stay here again. In fact, I would probably avoid South Beach unless I was ready to spend $400+ a night for a semi-decent hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
It sounds like you had a less than enjoyable experience, and we apologize for the inconveniences. Our hotel offers 2 separate, 4 person elevators. They can easily accommodate 4 people and their luggage. Our windows are designed to open partially for security purposes. I will inform our housekeeping department about bathroom issues you experienced. The solarium deck on the fifth floor accommodates only 2 suites. That's a far cry form being completely surrounded. It offers a very private setting. We pride ourselves on offering the classic Art Deco experience form a time long ago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Its a great location however it filthy. If you are used to a four or five star hotel this is not the place to stay. The room had roaches and the carpet was sticky and nasty. This was suppose to be a special occassion for my husband and I. Now they dont want to refund my money due to false advertisment. I would never recommend this place to anyone. Outside looks real nice however that look is decieving. This was the mose horrible experience ever.

Dear guest,
I'm sorry you left the hotel with such a negative experience. We are an excellent 3.5 star resort hotel. Our housekeeping department clean the rooms on a daily basis, and a housekeeping supervisor make a final inspection to ensure everything is perfect. I'm very surprised that any room was left with a nasty or sticky carpet. I am very concerned about false advertisement accusation? We have been in business since 1941, and we haven't done so with bad business ethics. I would very much like to further discuss this issue in detail. Please feel free to contact me via my email.
ismael@richmondhotel.com

Been to Richmond Hotel? Share your experiences!