“You get what you pay for....” 3 of 5 stars

Richmond Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1757 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #118 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
Indiana, Pennsylvania, United States
“You get what you pay for....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend in South Beach. We did not have high expectations based on the price of these rooms and based on reviews. In January, we stayed at the Loews, but did not want to spend $650/night on a room this time, but we did still want an oceanfront hotel. This hotel was a great option for a much cheaper price. With the lower price, we totally expected to make compromises. Our room faced the street....I would definitely ask to not have that room again....street noise is one thing, but South Beach street noise is a whole different issue. Also, many of the doors on the rooms don't seem to seal well...we had a lot of noise from the hallways at all hours of the night as well. I suppose ear plugs would have solved this issue...put that on the list for next time. Yes, the building is a bit run down...a bit of maintenance could make a world of difference. We also had no cold water. Even the toilet had nice steamy water. Not a big deal...we laughed it off even though a cool shower would have felt much better on sunburnt skin than a hot one. The beds and the pillows are pretty fantastic, though. The pool area is quite nice and was fairly calm and quiet. The maid service did a great job (except for slow delivery on my request for additional toilet paper to be brought to the room, but hey, tissues are basically toilet paper in box form, right?).

If you're going to South Beach to have a good time on the beach and to go have fun, this hotel offers an inexpensive option. If you're planning on spending a ton of time in your room, maybe try another hotel with upgrades and additional amenities. Hotels in South Beach are the same as the restaurants in South Beach.....if you don't want to spend a lot of money, go to Sbarro for dinner, but don't expect a fantastic culinary experience. My husband and I went into it with an open mind and we were rewarded with a great vacation.

Room Tip: Stay away from street facing rooms, although, I have a feeling that most rooms are not "sound p...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
RichmondManager, Front Office Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you guys a good experience. I will share the cold water issue with our head of engineering. As we are a older property, the walls are a bit thin, but we do our best to relocate our guest's to a more quiet part of the building. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Not sure what all the complaining is about - I say this place is a great value and find for the cost. No it's not luxurious. No it's not perfect. But it was clean, efficient, comfortable, GREAT location and FAR LESS expensive than the other hotels in the area. I'm not sure what some people expect, you want perfection go next door and pay 3 times what we paid. We checked in being fully prepared for anything after reading these reviews, but after our 3 nights last week I've already booked another stay. We had a very reasonable deluxe room with a partial ocean view, great bed and bathroom. I wish the internet was better but honestly, who needs to be on line for a couple days at the beach?

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the north side on an upper floor (south side view is a wall). And spend a few dol...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your great review. I will share your comments with our staff.
Best Regards,
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Someone else's post asked, "Can you believe I waited almost two hours to get my room?" another said "You get what you pay for." At least they got something.
After a very long drive from Northern Florida we were looking forward to getting into our room. My husband has hip replacement surgery coming up and long drives, walking any distance or having to stand for any time is very painful to him. His only relief comes when he lays down with pillows under his legs. I am attending a seminar here and he came with me so I didn't have to be alone. We prepaid our hotel as was required when booking, we have our confirmation letter in hand and are quite weary. The front desk clerk took it and said "just a minute" then disappeared in the back. In the next 45 minutes she would return to answer a front desk call and then back to the back room. On one of her trips out front I asked her if they had oversold, she said yes but her manager was 'dealing' with it. After standing at the counter for almost an hour this mystery manager appeared and said the convention people had changed my reservations and they couldn't help me and handed me back the paper. I asked if they could pull up my reservation with that number and did they not charge my credit card for the night, he said yes. I asked if they had anything in the record to indicate that someone had changed the reservation and who that was. He answered that no, there really wasn't. (never tried to explain his short uninformative answers unless I asked the right specific questions). I asked if there were no indications that someone had actually changed the reservation then what was he basing the conclusion on. His answer was, "well, I don't know what happened, I have to check into it but I don't have a room for you." I asked what he was going to do about it. He said it was out of his hands. After going round and round several more times I told him he needed to put us up at another close hotel. He said he couldn't. My husband stepped in and said that he needed to accommodate us somewhere. At this point the "manager" went into the back room again for another 30+ minutes. Now at this point I need to add that my husband, who is in a lot of pain at this point has to be at the Miami airport at 6:30 am the next morning to fly to NYC for a meeting and then fly back to Miami in the evening for a dinner we have arranged. I will be in the seminar all day the next day.
The manager comes back out and says he found us a place. We can load all of our stuff that is sitting in the lobby back into our car, drive to the new hotel (according to the rack rates cost about half as much and much further from the convention center), the stipulation being that we have to check out of that to pack our stuff back up the next morning, check out of that hotel and come back to his hotel and go through the checking in process again. I said that was just not practical, we would need to stay at the other hotel both nights. He said "then you will have to pay all of the expenses over there and you are on your own."
I can't express too much here how nasty and confrontational this person was to us. It was like he came out of that back room looking for a fight and started the conversation out like we were that bad guys and he would show us who was in charge.
These hotels down here are very close together so my husband hobbled next door to see about a room for us. He did find one at the South Seas that cost us twice as much because it was rack rate and we didn't have prior reservations. While he was next door the manager came out to the driveway and told me I had to get my car out of the way. I said my husband is right next door and will be right back. He said that I had to get my car out of there right now or he was going to call a tow truck and have me towed.
At this point I had had enough of this man bullying us so I told him "Please do that" He went back in and slammed some stuff around on the front desk, was talking in very loud voices to the staff and pointing outside at me.
So, moral of the story. If you have any choice at all as to where you stay in South Beach, stay away from this place. An experience like this can spoil your whole trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
RichmondManager, Front Office Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear guest,
We apologize for the inconvenience of this situation. It is unfortunate when there is mix up with reservations, but it happens from time to time. We always do our best to accommodate the guest. What is more unfortunate is when someone uses websites like this one, to obscure and bend the truth. We did our very best to help you, but obviously it was not enough, and for that we apologize.
**Neither yourself, or your husband were hobbling.
**You did not stand at the front desk for an hour. It took me about 20 minutes to find you alternate accommodations, but we'll get to that soon.
**It was unclear why or what caused the mix up, so I did not have an immediate answer for you. I explained, that it would take me some time to investigate the issue.
**We found you alternate accommodations at very nice hotel, that was 1 block away.
**The alternate hotel was 2 blocks away from the convention center. The same as the Richmond Hotel.
**We would cover your room and tax for the first night, at the alternate hotel.
**It is true, that you would have to relocate back to the Richmond Hotel for the second night.
**I also offered to comp your valet parking fee for both nights, at the Richmond Hotel hotel.
**I never came to the front desk looking for a fight. Nor did I proceed to slam things on the front desk.
**You failed to mention the part, when you pulled out your camera phone. You began to berate me and the hotel. I believe you were trying to get a rise out of me, and capture it on video.
**After all was said and done, you decided to book a room on your own.
**You left your vehicle on our ramp for half an hour. This caused a severe traffic jam on our ramp. We had vehicles back up, onto the main drag. This started blocking the flow of traffic. I asked to you move your vehicle, a you responded "I'm not going anywhere".
**As this point, I had no choice but to have your vehicle towed away. Fortunately, you moved the vehicle after 15 more minutes.
It was unfortunate that this situation couldn't have been resolved. We did our best to accommodate you, but nothing was going to be good enough.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

The location is the only thing it's really worth it.
The service is terrible (meaning, extremely slow and sometimes rude).
The breakfast is expensive ($13 including tip for 2 toasts, 2 eggs a cup of oj and coffee??) I think it's too much. I don't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
RichmondManager, Front Office Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. We train our staff to offer the utmost customer service, in a timely manner. I'm surprised you received such bad service? Our menu prices are very competitive, for the South Beach area. I would like a chance to discuss these issue with you. Please feel free to contact me via email.
info@richmondhotel.com
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The bed was extremely comfortable, I loved the pillows and I slept really well. The bathroom could have been a lot cleaner though, it was covered in a layer of grime when we checked in, I had to scrub it a few times during our stay. Wifi connection was terrible, I had to pirate from the neighbouring hotel. Otherwise, the room décor was lovely, and the location and the pool were terrific.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
I appreciate you taking the time to post your review. We pride ourselves on maintaining a very clean property. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the bathroom, and the Internet. This is definitely not the lasting experience, we want our guest to leave with. I would appreciate the chance to discuss these issue with you. Please feel free to contact me via email.
info@richmondhotel.com
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We've been in South Beach 3 times and always in different hotels. We stayed at The Tides and The Waldorf Towers both of them in Ocean Drive but this time we wanted something cheaper and not necessarily in Ocean Drive so we gave a try to this hotel. Location is great, nice receptionist and no complains at all of the cleaners as I have read. To be honest it will do with a "facelift" but if you find a great deal as we did (3 nights for less than €500) then take it! Walking distance to Ocean Drive and Lincoln Ave, you have restaurants everywhere. The only thing they should offer is WiFi free but they don't. The pool is great. Furniture is original Art Deco. Mattresses a bit soft for me. Small bathroom.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you choosing the Richmond Hotel for your vacation plans. Unfortunately we do not offer free wi-fi, but we do not charge a resort fee, or any other hidden fees.
Front Office Manger
SOUTHAMPTON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here before, a couple of years ago and at the time found it to be one of the best value for money hotels on South Beach. With direct beach access one side and a short walk to the Miami convention centre it seemed perfect (particularly compared to some of the shocking hotels locally!)

This year however I felt it was just tired and too basic. So much promise in terms of location, the staff, the pool area and pool, the poolside bar/restaurant, easy beach access and cleanliness, however the rooms need to be freshened up, some new carpets, bathrooms need money spending on them and a luck of paint wouldn't go a miss. Honestly speaking I can stay in 5 star hotels for less money across the world, so why should I put up with a 2 star just because it's Miami Beach? Shame... It has a lot of potential.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,
Thank you taking the time to post your review. The Richmond Hotel is a 3 1/2 star property. I'm sorry you had a negative experience during your stay. We are always upgrading, and maintaining the property. This becomes a little more difficult during the high season. I will definitely share your review with all the hotel departments. We need to double our efforts.
Front Office Manager

Been to Richmond Hotel? Share your experiences!