“A Gem in Miami Beach” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #106 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Oceanside, New York
“A Gem in Miami Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We just arrived home from a wonderful, long weekend stay at The Richmond, a beautiful Art Deco boutique hotel in the heart of Miami Beach (Collins Ave just a short walk from Lincoln Road).
The accommodations were delightfully updated, but retained the flavor of the deco theme. The staff was most accommodating, from Marco at the front door, to Ismael at the front desk, to Stuart Weintraub the General Manager, and Ramon at the dining room. Every need was met with a smile and an offer for further assistance. The pool area was very comfortable with direct beach access to a private, "manned" cabana area. My wife and I highly recommend this delightful Miami Beach "treasure." Enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the rear of hotel make the pool and beach a bit more accessible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you VERY much for your kind comments! This is the experience that we dedicate ourselves to delivering to every guest that visits our special property. We look forward to your next stay with us.

757 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Mahwah, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Grest location, good room, back door access to the beach, nice pool - I couldn't complain at all. Parking is a hassle and expensive but that's an issue pretty much everywhere. Breakfast is not included in price. Hotel provides complimentary beach towels and onthe beach, for $30 you can rent 2 lounge chairs and an umbrella for the whole day, which was awesome. If you are looking for something lavish, this is not for you. But if you are budget traveler, go for this, you won't miss a thing...

Room Tip: Stay on an upper level on the back side of the building to avoid noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Levittown, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

hi, we stayed at the Richmond from August 15 to August 19th. Beware there is a $35 + tax DAILY charge (not included in the price of your reservation) if you wish to use the hotel's valet parking service. There is no available parking in the area so there really isn't much choice in the matter. The hotel itself is nice, excellent location to the beach. My husband left his sunglasses behind and we called to see if they can be mailed back. We were told this was not a problem, however, we never received them! We waited a long time for towels and the AC wasnt really working well, but all in all it was a very enjoyable experience a few annoyances but thats life. My biggest issue was not knowing I was walking in to a valet parking charge. The hotel was pricey enough. Parking I would think is a courtesy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Richmond for your South Beach visit. We truly appreciate your business! Following your departure, we were called that your husband thought that he had left his sunglasses in your room and our Front Desk agent agreed that we could make arrangements to return them to you, however: we were unable to locate these glasses. Parking is extremely limited and costly throughout Miami Beach - especially in South Beach - and this impacts the cost of available parking to anyone that comes to the area. Our daily charge for this service is very modest for our location; and we do not charge additionally for each time that a guest takes their car throughout the day (like public parking lots a few blocks away or metered street parking does). We are not aware of any hotels in the area that provide complimentary valet parking for their guests. As we advise many of our guests, so much of the excitement of South Beach is easily accessible to our visitors: there often is no need for a car when enjoying our destination.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

From the very first moment i arrived at the richmond hotel till i left everything was great, from the front desk people and everybody else. It was my birthday which i didn't tell them, i'm sure if i did they would would have been even nicer. my room was cold and i asked them if they could do something about it, they went out of their way to make it pleasant for me. so for the guy who said cold room, hey dude just ask nicely and don't forget the tip.
i had the BESTEST TIME and i thank you all.
shohreh vaziri
wash DC

Room Tip: defenitely ocean view would be a better choice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank You!!!
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I booked my room through Hotwire /Expedia and $105 a nite was supposedly 40percent off. This was not the case since that night I checked the web and the room was everywhere for $98. In addition...I had asked to be upgraded to an oceanfront and the woman at the desk told me it would be $60 more a night when every website had an oceanfront room for $135 a night...that's half of what the front desk told me...luckily I did not upgrade since the only difference between the standard, superior and oceanfront if the view and it barely makes a difference. This issue is the least of the issues I have with this hotel. Getting the room cleaned seems to be more of an accomplishment then getting a meeting with the President. The first day it was raining so after walking around I came back to the room at 3pm and the room was still not cleaned. I was told at the front desk..don't worry..the room will be cleaned by 5.... Really? I shouldn't have access to a clean room all day? Then today at 5:05 I come back to the room and it is not cleaned. I went to the front desk and was told it would be cleaned right away...a half hour later I had to call again and FINALLY three women came to clean my room. You would think at least they would have offered me a free drink at the bar since I was inconvenienced twice but nothing. An apology just doesn't cut it. In addition....the pool is less than relaxing since at 12 pm they decided to power wash the deck and they were doing construction on the hotel so the pool was filled with rocks and noisy as hell. I guess you get what you pay for..to be honest despite everything I never ld have written this review if it had not been for the room cleaning issue and the fact the the front desk did absolutely nothing for me despite the inconvenience. Poor customer service.
D

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
RichmondManager, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
We are very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. I wish that either I or one of our managers, who are on property every day, was able to assist you. Fortunately, you were able to purchase a hugely discounted rate on a short-term promotion, however: our Desk staff was correct in the amount charged for an upgrade to an oceanfront room (our most expensive room category). In order to maintain the property properly, we - and all neighboring buildings - pressure wash our decks and try to schedule these actvities at times where they will least inconvenience our guests. Unfortunately, in your case we did not do so. While we typically get rave reviews on our housekeeping and hospitality, we evidently did not satisfy you and we are discussing your comments with our staff; as our goal is to provide an excellent guest experience to our visitors. Should you decide to try our hotel again, I will be pleased to personally assist you in making your arrangements.
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I just spent six nights at Richmond Hotel and I truly say that it is one of the best charming hotels in Art Deco District. Ismael at the front desk is very helpul and his collegues do your best to make your stay very comfortable. The swimming-pool is a real one, very clean with view on a direct access on the beach. You can have a nice Greek salad at the restaurant with wiew on the swimming pool at lunch time (closed for dinner) at a very good price.
For sure I will come back next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Villa Park, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Our room was to hot when we got there and noticed paper over the vents, manager came and said people before us complained of it being to cold. He removed paper. Thermostat for rest of the weekend , no matter what we did would always reset itself to 55.5 degrees therefore making room to cold. At $600 a night peak season and $250 a night off season I expect a working temperature control in my room. The hotel knew off this before giving us our room but did not care.

This hotel just like Miami beach itself does not care about the tourists, in off season water fountains have algea. So long as they have your money they don't care. Always go to the keys!!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Richmond Hotel? Share your experiences!