“Best Value Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #101 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York, NY
“Best Value Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

I am in love w/ the South Seas Hotel! I go to South Beach 3-4 times a year and the South Seas is by far my favorite. The location is great, the room and entire hotel are clean and the staff is a pleasure. Love the pool as well not to mention the complimentary breakfast.
I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed January 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2006

I and my girlfriend stayed at South Seas during June 3 to June 7, 2006. This is my second time to visit Sobe so I already have the idea of location and what to expect in Miami. I chose this hotel due to its price offered thru the internet travel site as well as its prime location. It turned out to be a good pick and I will definitely stay there again if the price is right. A 4 days/3nights package with air costed $700 for 2 people.
With the big price range of South Beach's hotel stay, what we need is only the clean room and the convenience. South Seas offers more than this. Our room equipped with a walk in closet, in room safe, fresh orchid and complimentary breakfast every morning. very clean room except that there is no room view. luckily, we have a room looking out a banana flower (kind of a scene). the choice of its breakfast is enormous, not only a pastry and coffee type. It is a buffet, all you can eat, with Tazo tea bags (many flavors), all juices, coffee, toast, criossant, cold cuts. YOU name it. We are so impressed with this. Moreover, this hotel has the direct access to the beach without the hidden resort fee charged by many other hotels.
People work there are nice and helpful. This is a cozy, warm hotel without the fancy interior like Delano, Shore Club or many others. but this is definitely a good place to stay for couples, small family and singles who are mature and not party oriented.

Lastly, i can only say: This is exactly what you want in Sobe. you won't go wrong unless you want the fancy hotels which charge $400 per night. I hope I can find the good deal soon to stay there again.

Tips: you don't need to hire a taxi from MIA for a flat fee of $32. A cheaper alternative is to catch the local bus # J from ground floor Concourse E where takes you to 41st and Collins. Then transfer to any bus going south. bus fare is $1.50 with an additional of $0.50 for transfer. Ask the bus operator for the transfer ticket. They are helpful and patience to tourists.

• Stayed June 2006
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2006

My wife and I spent 5 days at the South Seas, and we very much enjoyed the stay. I was in town for a conference at the convention center, which is within walking distance of the hotel, so we experienced the resort from both the business and R&R perspectives.

The staff were very friendly and accomodating. Everything was clean. Nice pool. Right at the beach. Good continental breakfast. Couldn't have asked for more for the price.

Sure, the rooms are small and yes the hotel is older, but it is kept up just fine. FYI - I did witness a few other people checking in that were less than courteous to the hotel staff, and in return didn't get treatment as friendly as mine. Oh well, their own fault.

I would book another stay here without question. Any time I were to go to South Beach, I'll stay at the South Seas.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Buffalo, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2006

My husband and I were looking for a hotel that was right on the beach, with a decent pool, clean, near the action of South Beach for about $200/night. South Seas met our needs.

You should not have stellar expectations unless selecting a location such as the Delano or the National for $450/night. That said, we found the hotel to be FINE! Our room (6th floor) was clean, very bright, comfortable bed. The service was not anything to write home about...but is anything in Miami?! Didn't plan to spend much time in the room anyway as the beach is very nice...and the pool is acceptable.

Recommendation: If you plan to spend great quantities of time in your room, this is NOT the place for you. South Seas serves as a good location for sleeping, changing...going in and out.

First, ask for a room on the fifth or sixth floor as there are more windows and the room is brighter. Second, walk down to the beach in front of the Delano to hang out as they have the best beach chairs...for $20/per chair/per day...WORTH the comfort. Third, for nice dinners, visit: A Fish called Avalon (Ocean Dr.), Pacific Time (Lincoln) and as a special treat...The Blue Door at the Delano. MOST SoBe restaurants/bars include gratuity in all prices so be careful...even drinks have gratuity figured in the price.

• Stayed May 2006
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2006

I spent a week on vacation in Miami with a friend and it took me weeks to find a suitable hotel, that had a pool, good location, good price and some good reviews. it was incredibly hard and I finally whittled the selection down to South Seas and I gotta say we had zero problems at the hotel and it was a great experience. its surprisingly difficult to find a good hotel on South Beach with a pool that isn't super expensive a'la the Delano.

I travel constantly around the world due to work and I've experienced many hotels and I never care about if someone carries my bags or if there's not enough soap in the room or some little things like that, I dont really care. I do like to be comfy though.

For the cheap rate we got, the South Seas was bang for the buck. The rooms are small, yet very nice, white, feel fresh and the comforters are a nice touch. The bathrooms are small but always clear, there's some amenities and enough towels every day. There was good sized walk in closet, which was very useful. The hotel has a varied clientele, but the old and young seemd to mix well. The free breakfast is a rarity in the US and it was really good, though very busy every morning. Plus its freezing in the lobby areas, I wish the AC wasn't turned to maximum everywhere in the hotel.

The pool are is truly great. It gets quite full, but its still comfy, the pool is nice and the sandy area with the hammocks between the beach and the pool is great, it has shade and its a nice hang out spot. The beach is accessible through it, which is great. The restaurant between the entrance to the pool and the hotel was surprisingly reasonably priced and it offers the basic fare of burgers etc, just average.

The staff I dealt with was sufficiently nice, no problems. The valet, as were were told, was quite slow, but thats ditto for South Beach's smaller hotels.

To be fair, for what we paid, this was amazingly comfy and good. the South Seas is definitely more suited to younger audience coming to party on South Beach, which is what we did for a few days, but the nice thing is that the hotel is just on in the quieter area, yet its very close to Lincoln Road, Delano and the Mynt...all you need!

• Stayed July 2005
Neenah, Wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2006

We recently stayed at South Seas for our first time at Miami Beach. This hotel is a wonderful place for the "average" traveler who is not looking for $1000 a night rooms. I cannot imagine what the other bad reviews are about. We loved the pool area, hammock and beach area and most of all the great location to the City beach and brick walk along South Beach. The room was clean, quiet and pretty.

The staff was nice considering some had been working 16 hours at the front desk; this may explain some of the customer service issues. We have found worse service in our lives and I would never have considered the service here poor.

So bottom line, if you want a nice place to stay but want to save your moneys for other things such a nice meals or excursions, this is the place to stay for the average every day citizen. Good job South Seas. Oh and when you arrive, you can pull your car up off of Collins Street and someone from the "valet" service will take it to their private lot and our car returned safe and sound.

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2006

As a member of the travel industry, this hotel is at the absolute worse I have ever been to in the the world. Do yourselves a favor and do not be fooled by prices or glossy pictures on a website. I don't know where to start. Staff members from Front Desk to maid (dis-service) was rude. Rooms are a definite dump. And the list goes on and on. This hotel should be rated a 0. Will never stay here again much less recommend anyone.

• Stayed January 2006

Been to South Seas Hotel? Share your experiences!