“back again - August/September 2013” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #94 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
“back again - August/September 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I returned to South Seas for my FOURTH visit in September (just a few weeks ago...) Had such a peaceful time.

As always Irwin ensured my accommodations were stellllllar! I loved the room. Size, location, amenities. Sheer heaven. And although I had to work part of the time, the room made it easier to do so. The sunrises and sunsets were spectacular...

Naturally, as one enters the property and the valet service is on the ball, that sets the tone. They were ok this time, but they are getting better. Nighttime service has definitely improved.

Upon entering the front doors, if one doesn't see Laura and Anna - its a huge disappointment. They are the pillars and keepers of the proverbial castle that is South Seas. When I see them, I know I'm home and in good hands. I had a chance to enjoy some pictures of family and their stories. That was a blast!

In keeping with the front desk staff, Robert gets an A+++ for being the gentleman he is. Robert is astute and resourceful and ever diplomatic no matter the hour. He is never anything but pleasant and courteous. It's like a great book-end. Anna/Laura in the daytime and Robert at night. It doesn't get any better. Robert goes OUT OF HIS WAY to ensure the patrons feel comfortable with where they are going and the options that are available to them. Sooo very pleasant and polite. My goodness.

Pilikia staff are always cool, but the neatest of all is Laura. All who know her, love her. Charlotte recently did some amazing flower arrangements for a Bruno Mars event they held there and the flowers were STUNNING. If South Seas management were paying attention, they'd get her on contract. Those flowers arrangements added even more class to this lovely hotel.

Speaking of management... There is ONLY one manager who, to me, is sincere and approachable. He is Miguel. That man is on the ball and so very cordial. We greet each other like family and catch up as often as we can. It is my sincere contention that managers, not just at South Seas, but in general, could learn from this capable and personable manager. He oozes sincerity where the others do not, in my opinion.

In terms of breakfast staff and the continental breakfast, I will continue to say that the continental breakfasts (and the menu in general at Pilikia) is a disappointment. In a recent trip, one morning crew member (Martha) chided me for filling up my pitcher with hot water, rather than offering to go into the kitchen to do so. She was rude and offensive, in my opinion. Rosario, contrarily, was and has always been delightful and sweet. Such a honey.

Overall, I will always go back to South Seas and am headed back there again in November. Its my retreat...

Room Tip: ocean view rooms are great... even partial views are nice.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Reinier C, Guest Service Manager at South Seas Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Anahid:

Thank you for the time you have taken to write about your recent stay with us. We are so pleased to know that you continue enjoying your stay at the South Seas Hotel. I appreciate your heartfelt sentiment mentioning our dedicated staff. I had already acknowledged everyone you've mentioned.

Looking forward to meeting you in person on your next trip.

With warmest regards,

847 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Valdobbiadene, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

For sure this hotel is very well located on the main road in Miami Beach. Great surroundings and direct access to the beach.
The hotel itself is crap. Rooms carry old and bad looking furnitures and they are smelly too!! Bad smell also on the corridors.
Breakfast is cheap and the bar, including the service, is bad. Not worth the money they ask for.
It was the worst hotel experience I had in the US.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. My most sincere appreciation for recognizing the convenience of our location, featuring direct access to the beach.

I would like to apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our products and services. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you would like to discuss further.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Respectfully,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed the last 4 days there and all the employees were very helpful, but Angela from the bar was the best ever! She recommended places to go out to and we enjoyed all!!!Susan and Charlotte were also great, we will definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed August 2013
Reinier C, Guest Service Manager at South Seas Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

On behalf of our team at the South Seas Hotel, I would like to personally thank you for reviewing our hotel. I already extended your appreciation to Angela, Charlotte and Zuzanne. They were very grateful for your words. Please accept my sincerest appreciation for recognizing our staff for their exemplary performance.

We look forward to serving you in the near future.

With warmest regard,

Jensen Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Located on Collins Avenue with direct access to the beach area gives this hotel a good rating. Rooms are very clean, compact with above average staff. Pool area is small but accommodates the needs of children and adults 5ft - 8ft. Breakfast is a fairly typical continental style but it covered our needs.

Being on Collins Avenue it affords people the ability to dodge the touristy traps along Ocean Blvd. many fine restaurants within walking distance and shops to cover all needs, Lincoln covers all the top end shops and is a five minute walk away, plus many, many restaurants try Paul's it is a landmark, just look at the desert counter and sit down, or walk away ......if you can.

Room Tip: For a pool view ask for rooms 135-137, 235-237 or 335-337
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your nice review. At the South Seas Hotel we truly appreciate our guest feedback. I was delighted to know that you enjoyed our pool area, our complimentary breakfast, our great location close to bars, restaurants and shops. It is true that we are just 5 min away from Lincoln Rd!!!

Hope you return again soon... our team at the South Seas Hotel and your favorite restaurant on Lincoln Rd will be waiting for you.

Warm regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Hotel staff is always friendly, accommodating, and welcoming. This past visit makes our 7th year straight staying in Miami at the South Seas. The restaurant, Pilikia, has the best food and the service is always consistent. Never disappointed. How can you complain... there is a beautiful view of the pool while you eat a delicious meal! The portions are huge by the way! My hubby and I always split a sandwich and a single appetizer and leave stuffed. Plus the restaurant has the $50 for $70 deal with their gift card. You pay $50 and get $70 worth of food/drink.
We have stayed in the average rooms and have found them comfortable, clean, and relaxing. We have also stayed in the penthouse-- a dream come true of a room--where the view is like watching a painting come to life. You wont need a TV staying up there.
Each stay has been different, but more than satisfying each time.
The free breakfast is a huge help! Eat and walk just steps straight to the beach!
The location is within walking distance to everything. No need to rent a car. Do your research for restaurants & shopping ahead of time and you will see you don't have to go far. The South Seas is perfect. We have no need to stay anywhere else in South Beach! Thanks Ana (front desk). You are a pleasure to talk to!
Xoxo,
Erika & Dennis
Lancaster, PA

See you next summer!

• Stayed August 2013
Reinier C, Guest Service Manager at South Seas Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

I sincerely appreciate your nice review! Thank you very much for your continuous loyalty. Your words “Always the best stay ever...” means the world to us! My most sincere appreciation for acknowledging the efforts made by our Chef Mark and his team at “Pilikia by the pool”.

Once again, thank you so much for your patronage and we look forward to providing you with another great stay.

With warmest regards,

Neuchâtel, Neuchatel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Excellent art deco hotel style, we stayed 2 nights, the situation is very good, closed to South Beach shops and restaurants, few steps from the beach
good breakfast with organic soja milk and fresh fruits
Nice view and sympathetic team
very quiet, we had a room on the beach side with sea view

Room Tip: Beautifu view on Miami Beach, nice swimming pool and very closed to the beach on foot
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Herve B.:

Thank you for the time you have taken to write about your recent stay with us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at South Seas Hotel. It felt great to share your comments with our staff and they were very happy to know you had an amazing time with us.

We can't wait to have you back!

Best regards,

Normal, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My mother and I stayed at this hotel for the weekend. Overall the hotel staff was very friendly. The biggest issue was the waitresses at the hotel restaurant. My mother and I were told how good the food was so we decided to eat there one night. The food was mediocre at best and the service was horrible. Not once did the server check on us, we had to flag her down to get refills on our drinks and to get our check. This wouldn't have been as big of a problem if there wasn't an 18% gratuity included in the bill. That server did not deserve a tip, yet we were forced to tip her anyway. Despite our bad experience we decided to give the restaurant another try one night, but we waited almost 20 minutes and had yet to be noticed by a server so we left.
The rest of the hotel staff was very friendly!
As far as cleanliness goes, the rooms were ok.. The air conditioning barely worked and we discovered ants in our room. Also, our room was not cleaned at at all while we were there, nor were we ever given fresh towels.
The pool was definitely the best part of the hotel! It was very clean and the entirety of the pool area was very relaxing. Not to mention that the beach is just steps out of the back gate!
I've definitely stayed in worse hotels than this one, but I don't know that I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Meghan B.:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. We are reviewing where we felt short and rest assured that your comments will definitely help us to better serve our guests in the future.

My most sincere appreciation for recognizing the convenience of our location and for acknowledging our pool area: "definitely the best part of the hotel".

I would appreciate if you could please contact me directly so that we can discuss further and we hope to have the opportunity to have you back with us.

South Seas Hotel

Been to South Seas Hotel? Share your experiences!