“Home away from home - always” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #94 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
“Home away from home - always”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have stayed at South Seas Hotel for nearly 7+ years each time I go to Miami (avg 3x/yr). It truly has become my home away from home. Miguel greets his patrons with a great sense of hospitality and especially those who are returning patrons. It's always wonderful to see his pleasant demeanor and he runs from one place to another (the man doesn't sit still!).

Laura and Anna at the front are not only the BEST 2 faces to see when I arrive at the hotel (a sure sign that I'm home) but they inevitably ask me about my family et al. Their coridiality amidst the front desk chaos is much appreciated and recognized.

Irwin in Reservations is, bar none, the most proficient, accomodating and efficient representation the hotel has had in the Reservations area. Not only was he ever concerned about my well-being (as a return, long-time patron) but also ensured that he took the time to greet me when I did arrive on the property during my stay. Where do you find such personable staff?

The one thing that continues to lack, for me, is the valet service. I was struggling with my luggage and the valet person(s) remained at their post and didn't offer a hand to me. I was staying about a week so I did have a bit of luggage. When I called down for my car, it was often quite a bit of time before the car actually arrived. This is commonplace for the valet service. For the price of the service, I would probably expect a little more in the way of service. Perhaps that's not their role. Not sure.

Pilikia - the restaurant - has always been staffed by so many wonderful, warm and truly amazing people. Back in the day, Jean lit up the place with her effervescent personality that many people, near and far, would return to experience. Laura is so delightful and full of wonderful anecdotes that it is a pleasure to relate with her. They have a new staff person I met at night, and for the life of me, I can't remember her name, but she was LOTS of fun. Talking about basketball - she was DEF not a Celtics fan - lol and was wonderfully knowledgeable about the game and exceedingly hospitable and courteous. You know who you are, Miss Lady... lol

The breakfast: Hmmm - of course, I'm an old-timer - lol - so I remember back in the day when one could get eggs (even boiled) et all as part of the complimentary breakfast. Now one has to pay for that. Utterly disappointing. I do not eat a lot of carbs nor fruit, so it was very disconcerting that I had to munch on cheese if I wanted to have only protein. The variety is gone and overall, the breakfast is a significant downgrade from years ago. I found myself having to go out to eat breakfast in order to get something of viable nutrition. It might suit others, just fine though. :)

The rooms are always wonderful. Sometimes a few tweaks are needed here and there, but by and large, the staff is HUGELY accomodating and ever thorough. I appreciate them all.

The pool: One thing that continues to resonate with me (regarding the pool) is that there is no staff to monitor behavior and volume of the kids. I have no issue with children. I have children too, but they were always well-behaved in public, no matter where we were. These children (no matter what country they are from (and this is not ALL kids who visit the hotel, but some), yell and scream across the pool, splash guests who are lounging or relaxing either poolside or inside the pool, run often and risk injury etc. [ps: I'm not a huge fan of salt water pools... This one is a salt water pool... ]

I DO have to say that I compared South Seas Hotel to one of its peers The Raleigh during my stay and there was NO comparison. The front desk staff was rude and arrogant and absolutely snobbish. The wait staff in the restaurant were quite kind. Poolside staff doted on the patronage which was very sweet. Would I ever switch? NO WAY! I just wanted to see what else was out there. I do prefer their pool (chlorine) but not the uppity, entitled staff and patrons who are present therein. They do not hold a CANDLE to South Seas in terms of the staff and the quality of the property for the price. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Reinier C, Guest Service Manager at South Seas Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Anahid K:

Wow!!! We are super excited that you recognized our entire team at South Seas Hotel. I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to provide with an invaluable review to other travelers and to ourselves. I would also like to thank you for your loyalty throughout the years.

It’s great to hear we continue meeting your expectations and providing to you a “Home away from home” experience. I will definitely extend your appreciation to all of the staff members mentioned by you so that they can build on their strengths.

We look forward to welcoming you back to South Seas Hotel in the near future.

Thank you very much for your kind words,

Reinier C.

890 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Just returned from our third visit to the South Seas and enjoyed a great experience. The hotel has an excellent location on the beach and near Lincoln Road, and is a short walk to all. The room was comfortable and just the right size--not too big or overcrowded. We appreciated the convenience of the complementary breakfast buffet and newspapers made available, including the NY Times. Most important to us, however, is the excellent team at the hotel. Ana remembered us from prior visits and made us feel welcome. We and our family have stayed at this hotel before, and we hope to do so in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

We’re pleased that you recognized our efforts to provide you with a great experience at South Seas Hotel. I'm glad our location was adequate for you and it made it easier for you to enjoy from shops, bars and restaurants around Lincoln Road. It’s also great to hear our breakfast and newspaper selections were to your liking as well. These are some of the best amenities mentioned by our guests.

I will definitely extend your appreciation to Ana and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

With warmest regards,

Reinier C.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We just returned from the trip to South Beach Miami. We stayed at the South Seas Hotel for a week. The hotel is remarkable for its great location. It has decent pool, access to the beach at the back and walking distance to all nearby attractions including famous Lincoln Rd and Espanola way, and also numerous stores. Hotel itself is old, but clean. The room was small with the view of the white wall of the next door hotel. Staff is friendly and helpful. There is a breakfast included in our stay, which consisted of fresh fruits, bagels, muffins and coffee/tea. The beach is outstanding, clear blue water, white sand. There is a charge for the beach chair and umbrella. If you don't want to pay, just bring the towel with you. We did not use valet parking, instead we parked at the nearby parking lot for $30/day (James avenue between 17 street and Lincoln Rd). Overall, we had a great time and choose this hotel for its location. I would recommend this hotel for the travelers who don't need a luxury stay.

Room Tip: Park your car at James avenue between 17 street and Lincoln Rd. You can negotiate the price.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Gloucester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here numerous times and stopped coming for a few years and decided to try again....... Well well well. It's tired and the rooms and halls are in desperate need of a much needed rehab. As my husband and I travel frequently for work we expect common cleanliness etc. I have always loved this location and used to love this property a lot, but the deal breaker is the rooms, bathrooms etc. We stayed in an ocean front room and when we got in the room, the ac unit was hanging off , there was gum in the chair and I felt that I was at an equivalent of a Super 8. Sorry South seas. Positive though was bar staff, especially the girl from Kingston, Ma. She juggled a lot of guests on her own. This during prime season. We left for the Keys for the Weekend and are going back to South Beach tomorrow. Not staying South Seas though. Guys fluff and buff this place please.

• Stayed March 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Warning, the hotel looks quite good at first. Rooms are small and moisty. The baathroom is so small that you cant close the door. It gets stuck in the toilet. Our family and other guests have been complaining regarding pool water quality since we arrived 3 days ago. The pool is disgushing. Hair, salive and skin are floating in the pool. They cant seem to fix it and therefor this isnt a temporarily problem. You Will see and feel it then you arrive.

Summary

Good location
Filthy pool
Rooms à joke
Staff à bit tired, Why do you complain, we are fully booked, new customers every day, live with it

Final, a sharp smell when entering room after cleaning, this could only be cooked Down to some kind of animal poison

Room Tip: Please upgrade to another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

So the best thing about this place is it's location right on Collins Ave and only a few blocks away from Lincoln. You walk through the pool area and you're on the beach, hard to beat that. The rooms themselves are pretty mediocre, definitely not nice, but not terrible. You're definitely paying for location here and they at least give you free breakfast which is serviceable. I wouldn't mind staying here again since it was right before New Years and rates were astronomical with very limited choices, but it would have to be a similar situation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

To start off the valet was very rude and in attentive when we pulled up, and the staff was even worse at check in! After check in we walk down the hall and it had a very strong moldy odor and one of the staff was spraying air freshener to try and cover it rather than cleaning the problem!! Finally at the end they tried to tack on 300$ in extra charges for two night! Worst hotel experience Ina long time and way over priced for the quality!!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to South Seas Hotel? Share your experiences!