“Very dated suite, but friendly staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa - North Miami Beach

Save Saved
You added Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa - North Miami Beach to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa - North Miami Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   17375 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles, Miami Beach, FL 33160   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 20%!
Ranked #59 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Tampa, Florida
“Very dated suite, but friendly staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for the July 4th holiday. I arrived a little early, so my room was not quite ready, which was okay. I waited on the terrace, which has a beautiful view of the ocean, until it was ready (about 40 minutes). Check-in was very easy and Rebeka and another lady ( cannot remember her name, she was petite with short dark hair and expecting) were very nice and explained the activities that were going on for the weekend. I was upgraded, as an Hhonors Diamond member, to room 15081 which is a 2 bed 2 bath suite. The views were great, however I had a problem with the ice maker in the kitchen. Maintenance did come up to fix it rather quickly. This room, even with its nice wrap around balcony and partial ocean views, was a disappointment.

There are numerous issues with this room. The carpet is very old and dirty throughout the suite. You can see dark soiled stains in different areas throughout the suite. The kitchen countertops are terribly cracked in several places and the appliances are very outdated. The furniture in the living room area has stains on it, particularly the chair near the patio. Whoever cleaned the bathrooms must have been in a hurry because I found nail clippings on the counter in the master bathroom, and hair in the tub in both bathrooms.

The closet door in the master bathroom has a wheel missing at the top. It's one of those sliding closet doors, and it does not stay open properly because the wheel is missing off the track at the top. I told the assistant front desk manager (I forgot her name) about these issues when I checked out around 8:30am this morning. On a good note, the bed was comfortable, but I have to say, in my opinion, that unfortunately that was the only good thing about the room. I really was not impressed with this "upgrade". This room should be placed out of order until they can do upgrades to it and fix all the issues.

On a better note, my guest and I had dinner at the hotel Thursday night for the italian buffet for $10, which was very nice and the food was pretty good! We ate dinner Saturday night as well, but ordered off the menu instead of getting their $15 three-course plate special, again, a good meal and our server (I'm so bad with remembering names, sorry) was very nice! We also ate at the pool bar Thursday for the July 4th food specials, a little overpriced though($9.00 for a hot dog, chips and drink, etc...) but got a 25% discount for being Hhonors Diamond which helped. Apparently there's discount for the different Hhonors levels, which is nice, and as long as you're wearing the little wrist band associated with your level, you get those discounts. We also ate breakfast at the hotel, and you can upgrade your breakfast from a continental buffet (I had coupons for a complimentary continental breakfast) to a full buffet (the hot food, like eggs and sausage) for just $6.00 more, and that's the better deal.

Just a few more things to point out about this hotel. They now have a DAILY $20 resort charge ADDED to the room rate, and it covers 2 beach chaise chairs, $10 food and beverage credit, local and toll free 800 calls and Wi-Fi in the guest rooms and public areas. Luckily I made my reservations online before this started. Also, this hotel does not offer shuttle service. There are a few fast food places nearby that you can walk to, as well as a Tony Roma's a few blocks away. Other than that, you'll have to take a cab to other restaurants. Aventura Mall and Bal Harbor Shops are near the hotel, but are not within walking distance. We took a cab to Aventura Mall on Friday and it was around $11 each way, not including tip.

This hotel is one of the better hotels in North Beach, especially if you're looking for relaxing beach trip without a lot of drama. If you want a more social atmosphere and nightlife, you need to be in South Beach! South Beach is a good 10 miles away from this hotel. One more thing, Miami International Airport is a good 40-45 minutes away from this hotel, so I would suggest using Super Shuttle because they are much cheaper than taking a taxi. The only reason I gave this hotel 3 stars was because of the staff, and I really don't think I would stay here again only because of the disappointing condition of the room I was in.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are better
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

831 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Doubletree Ocean Point provided a fantastic experience.
How anyone can give a low rating is a mystery, they must have very unrealistic expectations.

Location: For those somewhat unfamiliar with the area as I was this hotel is located in Sunny Isles Beach / North Miami Beach, not Miami Beach as stated on numerous websites including their own oceanpointresort.com "As one of the most spacious Miami Beach Florida hotels..." While they also reference Miami Beach North, you cannot walk to South Beach from this hotel let alone Miami Beach because there are many miles between the two. I get the marketing aspect, but, don't call it what it's not.
However, this resort is situated on an incredible stretch of clean beach is scattered with small shells and pieces of coral. Nice area overall, located near some Trump properties. Strip malls across the street, pharmacy, fast food and Epicure Gourmet Market & Café ( must do for a break from hotel food).

Samson Park next door is a massive open grassy area--great for throwing a ball, frizbee, etc.

Major construction next door for a new high rise provided some noise early morning around 8 AM.

As far as first impressions go, Doubletree Ocean Point scored big—a winner!
I received an email 48 hours before my check-in date from a manager asking me to let her know if we would be arriving early so we could be provided with information to use the facilities and amenities.

Checkin: Incredible! We arrived at 1:15 (3 hours before check in) and our room was ready shortly after 1:30—a top floor suite! The woman who checked us in was very friendly and welcoming. In fact, practically everyone I came in contact with was very friendly (more on hotel staff later in the review).
But…no cookies?? (haven't stayed in a Doubletree in a number of months, maybe you don't get cookies anymore?)

The hotel seems a bit older—in a classic sense and room furnishings were a bit older and worn, but neither impacted our stay. The hotel common areas—lobby, pool area, bathrooms and lockerroom /healthclub were very clean, a testament to good house-keeping.

Room/Suite: Very spacious, spotless clean, ample towel supply(over-sized and plush !) and a million dollar view of the beach, ocean and intra-coastal water way.
Most important to me is climate control and bedding. No restrictions on climate control, we got to keep the room cool and comfortable and the beds were also very comfortable.

Lunch, poolside, was terrific and the service was excellent. I was surprised that the following day a woman said; hello in passing while I was relaxing poolside and it turned out to be our waitress from lunch the day before.

Breakfast Buffet was your typical hotel buffet.
Strangely, the waitress seemed to ignore us. When I asked for coffee, she responded she wasn’t our waitress, but she would get her for us. Glad she was willing to do me that favor--Poor service! Our waitress on the other hand was fantastic.

Minor Issue:
This hotel has only 3 elevators serving 27 floors, so with elevator inspections taking one car out of service it took forever to get an elevator. It literally took 45 minutes to ride up to the 27th floor, then back down to the lobby. It would make sense to me with only 3 elevators, that the hotel would have the inspections done overnight when demand for the elevators is at their lowest and guests would be impacted least.

Bigger issue
Mentioned in a different review—the guys on the beach who do the chairs and umbrellas.
Their attitude stinks. We sat down on 2 chairs, which we are entitled to as hotel guests and the guy rudely asked if we were renting an umbrella. I said “with heavy clouds at 3:00, NO! “ so he ripped the umbrella out of the sand and took it away. Hospitality not at it’s best !

Hotel fee: There is a $20 resort fee per day.
The hotel off-sets this with 2 lounges, free wifi and a $10 meal credit.
Personally, I prefer to pay $20 more per night and have it include my chairs.

Valet Parking:
Major pluses, unlimited in/out and the guys were fast and efficient.
When I arrived, I mentioned I would be leaving by 5:30 for evening plans and they offered to keep my car near valet pick up spot.

More good stuff:
**Check out was at noon, but we were allowed to use the facilities for the entire day including clean showers in the lockers through health club area.
**Valet guys held our bags for the day.
**Unlimited large plush beach/pool towels
**Restaurant discounts for Hilton Honors members
**Convenience store at the pool with sandwiches, beverages and sundries.
I could keep going, but you get the idea.

I would rate this a 4.5 if that was an option.
Stay at the Doubletree Ocean Point and enjoy a pleasant experience too !

Room Tip: Get a lower floor if you want to reduce your elevator wait time-3 working is not enough. Request a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Stallings, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here June 24-28 to celebrate our anniversary. Check-in was a breeze and the accommodations were everything we were hoping for. We had a quick bite at the bar after check-in (the burger is exceptional) and Bryan served us. He was very welcoming and we enjoyed chatting with him and another guest. He recommended some nearby restaurants for us to check out which were all excellent. We ordered room service that night which was delicious. And we also had breakfast in-suite the following morning. That day, Tuesday the 25th, we had a very unpleasant encounter with the beach manager. I didn't catch his name as I didn't want to spend a second longer interacting with him because he was extremely rude. We paid the $20 resort fee which included the use of two chaise lounge chairs. When we checked in, the guest service agent gave us our wristbands and told us that we would need to wear them the whole time in order to get towels and chairs. This was the extent of the instructions we received on the matter. So when we went down to the beach Tuesday morning, we walked right down to all the chairs set up and found an empty "bed" underneath an umbrella. We were laying out for about 20 minutes when the beach manager approached and said, "You guys gonna rent this beach bed and umbrella for $90?" to which we answered no...he then proceeded to rip the umbrella up out of the sand and take it away without another word. So then I figured that we could only use to lounge chairs and not the bed so I sent my husband after 2. So as he was getting chairs for us, the Beach Manager re-approaches us and says "you guys have to pay for those." I answered back and told him that the we were told we get to use 2 chairs. He replied, "who told you that?" I answered, that the front desk did and that I paid a resort fee for the use and showed him our clearly visible wrist bands. He continues on in a very rude and condescending tone and says, "you see that hut up there? well we're in there all day and you have to check in and wait for us to seat you." I told him that I wasn't aware of that and proceeded to give him our room number to verify. I work for the Hilton family so I understand how frustrating the hospitality business can sometimes be. It can get on your nerves when guests don't properly follow what you know to be "the way things are done." But the way he spoke to my husband and I was completely unacceptable. We were simply uninformed to the way the system worked and he didn't need to make us feel unwelcome and just flat out stupid. He upset me a great deal and I think that this issue should be addressed. Anyway, continuing on through our visit , we received excellent service from every member of your restaurant staff. (Edin, Maria, Diane, and another young lady whose name I can't for the life of me remember.) We were always very well taken care of. The housekeeping staff was wonderful as was every employee that we came in contact with. Mindi assisted us at checkout and was absolutely wonderful. Overall, our stay was very enjoyable and we would love to return again with our daughter sometime.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

My mother, sister, and I stayed for 5 nights. At checkin we had a bit of a problem but the General Manager and Front Desk Manager solved the problem efficiently and professionally. Everyone was accommodating and the breakfast was a huge highlight! The pool, spa, and store located on the BC level were well stocked, clean, and relaxing. Beautiful rooms and the view is georgeous! We don't get to see each other often only every two years or so. This place made our time together special. I am proud to be part of the Hilton Team and this property does the name proud. Thank you for wonderful experience!

• Stayed June 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We arrived from Las Vegas, NV around 7am Eastern Time. Since we were early they said we could lay down in the lobby until our room was ready around 10am. Well, 10am turned into 2pm. I was exhausted and felt homeless. Finally we received the room key, ready to shower and go walk around to see the sites. 1hour later our luggage was still not brought up to us, i called several times to the front desk... nothing came from this so I went down and had to bring the luggage up myself. The room was not clean, the balcony door had finger prints all over it and hair all over the ground and carpet. There attitudes sucked and the hotel its self was nothing I would suggest to anyone. We were leaving for the Bahamas the next day so I just held my breathe and patiently waited to cruise on out.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I enjoyed this hotel from check in to check out. some of the staff id like to thank. the food and beverage supervisor at the pool had a great friendly personality, clare at the front desk, Meghan, avena, frantz there are many In wish I could remember there names. this place is right on the beach and close to shopping and off site dinning. anything you request they will bring it super fast to you. the staff is friendlier and better trained then some of the waldorfs I've stayed at. I will return to this property.

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I would never book this place again. People at desk were not pleasant or helpful, with the exception of the manager who resolved an issue for me. The room was not very nice, the housekeeping staff did not make up the room until very late in the day or not at all and the construction noise and fumes were horrible. There are plenty of hotels to choose from so if I returned I would stay at one of them!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa - North Miami Beach? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa - North Miami Beach

Address: 17375 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles, Miami Beach, FL 33160
Location: United States > Florida > Miami Beach
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Kitchenette Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#7 Top resorts Hotel in Miami Beach
#28 Spa Hotel in Miami Beach
#37 Family Hotel in Miami Beach
#46 On the Beach Hotel in Miami Beach
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa - North Miami Beach 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Tingo, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, TripOnline SA, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa - North Miami Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Doubletree Ocean Point Resort And Spa - Miami Beach North
Doubletree Ocean Point Resort & Spa - Miami Beach North Hotel Miami Beach
Doubletree Miami Beach

If you own or manage Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa - North Miami Beach, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.