“Great Location, Bad Hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Winter Haven, Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added Winter Haven, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Winter Haven, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Winterhaven South Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #61 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
“Great Location, Bad Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just stayed there for two nights; right on Ocean Drive literally across from beach & boardwalk. Dining al fresco in the morning was lovely. Room was very small, which is forgivable given the building is old art deco (1920s? 1930s?); part of the charm I guess. The condition of the room was another story. Of the three electronic devices in the room (telephone, television & clock-radio) precisely zero of them worked. I mentioned it to the manager the first morning and they fixed the clock by the time I returned that evening. I'm sure there are better options for the same price in the same neighborhood; I'll never stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid room 419.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel is in a prime location on Ocean Drive! It's just steps from the beach and close to Lincoln Road Mall. When my husband and I arrived, the front desk attendant was very nice and checked us in quickly.

The rooms are SMALL, but nice. They are decorated well and make good use of the space. Since we planned to be out most of the time, the room size was not a bother. The bathroom is small as well, and only have a shower, which wasn't a problem for us. There's a rooftop cabana that's really nice to hang out on as well.

Our weekend was a bit rainy, so we spent more time in the room than originally planned. We discovered that although the flat screen tv was nice in size, the reception was terrible. Also, the phone didn't work. We asked the front desk about it and they told us that there was a problem with their cable/voip that would be fixed by Monday. We left on Tuesday and it hadn't been fixed. The internet worked, however, so we watched tv on my laptop.

The only other negative would be something that's apparently common in the area. Most hotels along that corridor have restaurants in the front. They have people posted out front to pester passers-by to stop and eat. It's pretty annoying. I thought we would get a pass from the restaurant in front of our own hotel as we exited because we were obviously guests, but we were harassed just the same. We had to start leaving from the side door.

For the price, it was a pretty decent deal overall.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thessaloniki, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed for 4days in this hotel and we got a free upgrade in our room. ROOFTOP!
The room was nice, but the glasses at the windows not so clean. Big resting bed, clean bathroom. The breakfast is really poor though (boilled eggs, bread, butter, marmelade, coffe, milk, tea and juice...That's it!)
The location is great because it is within walking distance from art deco area, bars, clubs, restaurants, shops.
Watch it: the rastaurants in Ocean Drive are much more expensive than the ones on the other streets and the quality of food not justifiable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bolivia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed 4 nights .. the Hotel's location is really great, just blocks away of Lincoln Road Mall, in the middle of the Art Deco district and in front of the beach .. quite hard to beat. In the blocks around one can find any possible type of food, drinks, party and shopping you are looking for .. and the ocean .. as wonderful as it can get ..
If you don't come to Miami to stay in your hotel room more than for sleeping and refreshing, then is a good option .. Beds and pillows are just .. from heaven!! And that is basically it. Bathrooms are clean, but VERY small .. with no windows whatsoever. Rooms are decorated in a retro style with some restored furniture, not exactly a piece of art, but fine. TV service is a bit .. weird .. like delayed but again, who comes to Miami to watch TV?
I wouldn't stay in this place again, although I won't forget how convenient and wonderful the location is. I would look for some more modern place nearby .. No frigo bars, no vending machines, hard to get even a bottle of water in the middle of the night without going out .. Could have some details to make it a bit better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My Husband and I spend one night here- we were both very disappointed. The internet did not work at all (they said that the internest didnt work on the 5th and 6th floors... that was the solution to the problem)- The TV was fuzzy at best- also the phones didn't work to call the front desk-(or anyone) which made complaining impossible.
The images online show a martini bar at the front of the hotel... this Martini bar does not exist! so sad...
Also no vanity lights in the bathroom- VERY small room.
If staying in Miami, Spend the extra money and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Great stay for the price
Very close to the beach
In the center of all attractions (bars, cafes, restaurants, clubs, shopping center)
Small but clean rooms
Very friendly staff
Breakfast is satisfactory

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Winter Haven for 10 nights in September. When we got to the hotel and checked in I was informed by reception that although I had requested a twin room they've had to give me a room with a Queen bed which my friend and I would have to share as it was Labour Day weekend and they were fully booked. I was a little annoyed but we didn't want to start our holiday on a bad note so accepted. But the receptionist said that we should check with the front desk on the Monday to try and get moved as most people would have checked out at this point. Also the WiFi didn't work for the first three days of our stay on our floor and I was informed that this was because the storm had knocked something out. So why am I rating his hotel so high, I hear you ask! Well let me say that I appreciate the pressure the hotel was under on one of the busiest weekends of the year. Come the Monday we were immedietley moved to a twin room and the WiFi was sorted out. Anne on reception is an absolute gem and when we told here that we would be spending a night in Orlando, she made sure that she had all our contact details to make sure we were ok as two girls travelling alone. The hotel is at a great location as it is across the road from the beach and close to the action but not so close that the noise is a nuisance. Starbucks is across the road and a great wings joint is a block up. It's one block from the greatest sandwich shop in the world, La Sandwicherie!!! The rooms are nicely furnished and the beds are comfortable. Bathrooms very clean with lots of towels and a good shower. Ok we didn't get a room with magical views but who cares? We weren't there to see South Beach through a window. The rooftop terrace was spectacular and a great place to chill and sun bathe without the beach crowds. Breakfast is nice although a little basic but gets your day off to a good start. Every staff member we encountered was lovely, pleasant and helpful. I would definitely reccomend this hotel and would stay again!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Winter Haven, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!