“First trip to Miami, disappointed in hotel stay” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Raleigh

Save Saved
You added The Raleigh to your Saves list
The Raleigh
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1775 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
30% Off Best Rates!
Ranked #45 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“First trip to Miami, disappointed in hotel stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Let me start off by saying, I used to work at the Four Seasons, so I have personal experience working in the hospitality industry.

The front desk staff was kinda all over the place. There was no uniform/dress code policy or nametags worn by anyone I encountered at the front desk. Seems not to the standard of a "4 star property"...

I had 2 issues while here...First, I purchased a ticket for an open-top bus sightseeing tour. The front desk agent told me that the last bus was @ 6pm. Something told me to check the schedule myself online, but I went to enjoy the beach for a couple hours and then went to wait for the bus @ 6. When the bus came by, it was empty and they told me the tours were done for the day. When I went back to the front desk to ask about a refund, a different agent told me it wasn't hotel policy to sell 3rd party vendors' tickets. Which seemed odd because when I bought the ticket earlier that day, the agent pulled out a binder filled with tickets, so they had to have sold them at some point, or else why would they have so many? This agent told me to hang on to my ticket and that they would look into a refund for me.

2nd issue, Sometime during my 2nd day there the room's smoke detector battery started beeping, this usually happens when the battery needs to be replaced. I informed the front desk on my way out around 7:30 pm. When I returned around 11:30 pm, the smoke detector was still beeping. I also saw a small bug on the wall behind the bed when I returned to the room this time. (I should have taken a picture to prove this because I didn't report it) but I was on my way out. Plus I figured I would be moving rooms anyway because the smoke detector was still beeping. Around midnight, on my way out, I stopped again to tell the front desk the issue hadn't been corrected. I was then told engineering had gone for the day so no one was there who could fix it. Why didn't anyone tell me this when I initially reported it? The front desk agent on duty at this time offered a room change, but I was on my way out and definitely wouldn't feel like moving bags when I came back in the early morning hours. He said "Hopefully the beeping will stop on its own" or that he would offer some form of compensation for the inconvenience.

When I returned around 3 am, of course, it was still beeping. The front desk agent sent someone up with keys to a nearby room for me to sleep for the night. Okay in the end, but overall could have been handled better.

At checkout, I asked about the refund for the tour ticket, as instructed, and again another front desk agent seemed clueless. She asked me to wait for the manager who was in a meeting. When the manager was done with the meeting, she never addressed me to apologize for the issues with my stay, and just sent word back via the agent that I couldn't get a refund for the tour ticket. Needless to say, I will not be staying here again. Luckily, I booked this room at a 48% discount on its full priced rate, but even with a steep discount I would recommend trying another hotel along this strip of Collins Avenue. It just isn't worth it at full price when there are other newer hotels within the same price range nearby. Hope this helps...

Room Tip: Rooms are on the small side and furniture is old and scratched up
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Tiffany M, Front Office Manager at The Raleigh, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I am very sorry to hear that your stay was seriously hindered by the issues you encountered. Please know that any request, inquiry, or anytime there is any form of verbal communication on the part of our guests it is of the utmost importance to respond expeditiously and professionally, it Is my sincere regret that this was not the case on multiple points and certainly if your inquires had been attended to with immediacy I have no doubt that your experience could have been salvaged. I would like to discuss both the situation with this tour you purchased tickets for, the issue with the smoke detector and how this was handled and any other concerns you may still have if you had a moment. We would love to redeem ourselves as a prestigious and classic art deco hotel with professional staff if so graciously given the opportunity by you. Please feel free to contact me directly at any time.

524 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I was with my husband in Miami for a conference, and the Raleigh is perfectly located just 2 blocks from the Conference Center. Close enough to run back for lunch and mojito breaks between sessions.
Everything on South Beach is expensive (some of it is even worth it), so your best bet is to find a place with great service. When I think of great service, I want genuinely friendly, professional staff. Staff that is obviously more concerned with guests enjoying their stay than in simply earning a tip. The Raleigh did not disappoint. Staff were extremely accommodating (had balloons & cake waiting in our room for my husband's birthday, even when we didn't arrive until the middle of the night). The beach staff (David & Trey) were always anticipating what we needed before we asked, without "hovering" when we wanted to relax. The front desk staff (Tiffany & E. especially stand out), were genuinely kind and professional.
The pool and oasis area of the Raleigh property is truly worth a stay. When you are tired of sunning by the pool, move over to an oasis cabana and relax while reading your book. It was really perfect, my most relaxing experience while in Miami. We are not into the party and clubbing scene, but obviously all of that is close at hand on South Beach. Despite the proximity of parties, the rooms were quiet and very comfortable (perfect AC/fan combo), and stylishly sparse (HUGE walk in closet and spacious bathroom with amazing water pressure!)
Would definitely recommend the Raleigh to anyone staying on South Beach!

Room Tip: Room facing the side street was perfectly quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review. We are happy to hear that the Raleigh was a perfect fit and especially convenient and strategically located for you conference. We’re so happy that you were able to mix in some pleasure and leisure along with work and that you were celebrating your husband’s birthday whilst here and that you were pleasantly surprised with balloons and cake in the room. Thank you so much for your acknowledgement, it is my pleasure to make sure you were having a wonderful stay and that you were enjoying yourselves, and I know that I can also speak for Evgenia, David and Trey when I say that your happiness and satisfaction are our best reward. The pool and oasis area are definitely hallmarks for relaxation and leisure and I am delighted to hear that they were a staple during your stay and that you were able to enjoy the rest of what the Raleigh has to offer. We would love to welcome you back very soon.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at The Raleigh.
First and foremost the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, yet no one was ever plastic or 'scripted' when communicating. Kimberly was extremely attentive and genuine. The design of the hotel was great and very appropriate to the deco of south beach in a relaxed way. Both the pool and beach areas were very relaxing and well-appointed with beds, lounge chairs and helpful staff. Thank you Trey. My one criticism is that the double room I shared with my daughter and her friend felt rather small. Certainly better for two people. The second night I was next door in the suite and that felt substantially better.
The café in the lobby had great fresh juices and smoothies and the restaurant had good options for breakfast and lunch.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Tiffany M, Front Office Manager at The Raleigh, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience with us. I am particularly thrilled that it was our staff, especially Kimberly, that stood out the most during your stay. We are happy to say that our disposition is warm and friendly and making sure that you are having a wonderful time is our priority. I will be sure to share your feedback with Kimberly, she will be very pleased. Both the pool and beach areas are two of the hallmarks of the Raleigh where you are guaranteed total rest and relaxation and I am happy to hear that Trey was able to provide you with memorable service whilst there. I'm sorry that you found the double room to be too small but perhaps the suite that you stayed in thereafter will make for a better option for your next visit. The coffee bar and restaurant are also favorites because of some of the delectable options that they provide; I'm glad you were able to enjoy both. Please feel free to contact me directly to assist your return visit.

Lyndhurst, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

we got a last minute cancellation from our previous hotel, and wind up at the raleigh. the front desk staff was great specially Elkin. he made our stay feel like we were royalty...for the first time the price met the quality!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy that you did "wind up" at the Raleigh and that we had the opportunity to have you as our guest. I'm delighted that Elkin form our front desk team made you feel like royalty; Elkin is a superstar and we are so happy to have him as one of our own. We would love to welcome you back for a future visit.

Antwerp, Antwerpen, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Right on the beach this little boutique hotel can make a pleasant stay in Miami. A kind of old colonial type of hotel - the swimming pool is great and so are the restaurants in the hotel. Not very far from the airport and no noise pollution !!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor sea facing
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for review. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the Raleigh to be both centrally located and classically charming. Our pool and restaurant are certainly two of our defining attributes and we are glad to hear that you were able to make the most out of both. We would love to welcome you back.

Regards,
Staten island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Late 20's couple celebrating our anniversary - it was perfect for us

when we arrived on weds morn we were greeted by Kim at the front desk. she spent 10 minutes with us giving us great information. extremely helpful. check out this local cuban place for lunch/dinner on 2nd/collins ave, ask and they will tell you the name of it.

the room was small, but thats what you get in this this 1950's old school hotel. AC worked perfect, the room was freezing whenever we were inside.

the pool is beautiful, best attraction at this place. plenty of places to hang, beds, gazebos, chairs, umbrellas, etc. Bobby and Olga served up great drinks and the food here is awesome. breakfast here is delicious as well. people complain that its expensive, BUT YOU ARE IN MIAMI. if you wanna be cheap goto an allinclusive.

no need to rent a car, everything is either walking distance or a short cab ride.

the beach at the hotel is very nice, they have chairs waiting for you. the water is clear blue and calm. its technically a public beach so dont get alarmed of the seaweed.
check out mangos and oceans 10 for happy hour day party and live reggae music. this hotel is walking distance to lincoln road mall, and many places to eat, party and shop. awesome location.

the hotel manager NIck Comaty was extremely accommodating, helped us with anything we needed, and even showed up on our last day with champagne just to say "happy anniversary". its great because you can relax during the day, and choose when and if you want to party.
if youre looking for a quiet, relaxing, fulfilling and good time in miami, this is definitely the place to go!

Room Tip: ask for a room as far away from the elevators as possible. old hotel, you can hear everything.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Tiffany M, Front Office Manager at The Raleigh, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. Congratulations on your Anniversary and thank you for choosing us as your destination for such a very special occassion. We're glad that you felt that the pool was the best attraction, and that the Oasis, poolside and outside commons were all pleasant and to your liking, aside from the pool there are in fact plenty of nooks and spots to call your own at our property in which to relax and kick back. We're glad that our Front Desk agent Kimberly, that Bobby our pool manager and Olga our server all contrubited in making your staying extra special and leadiving an indelible impressiion, that is after all what we are truly in the business of, bringing smiles and helping you create lasting memories. We would love to welcome you back for you next anniversary or sooner.
Warm regards,

Milton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

My mom and I have been coming to The Raleigh for our "girls trip" for 5 years now, and every visit we are welcomed by the wonderful staff and the cozy ambiance that makes it feel like a second home. The rooms, although small, are quaint and offer something unique from a classic Miami era. Breakfast on the garden terrace by the pool is a favorite of ours, and on our last visit, our best dinner by far was at The Raleigh (coming from foodies...). The pool is without a doubt the coolest pool in Miami, and offers several comfortable lounge beds if you are looking to get away from the beach. The beach staff is exceptional and will do anything they can to accommodate you. On our past visit this April, we met Fernando, a desk concierge, who went above and beyond to make our stay a perfect experience. So, if you are headed to Miami and looking for good food, a great staff, a wonderful location, and a real taste of Miami, I cannot recommend anything other than The Raleigh.

Room Tip: Partial ocean, ocean view, and pool-view rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are honored that you have chosen the Raleigh as you destination for your very special mom-daughter getaway. We do pride ourselves in being more of a home away from home for many of our loyal guests, such as yourself , and even first time guests. Being a boutique hotel, the Raleigh exists on a smaller but more personal scale than many other hotels in Miami Beach, and this certainly constitues a defining attribute. We're so glad you enjoyed breakfast, lunch and dinner at our Restaurant Michael Schwartz which we thins is absolutely fabulous and that the pool is still a favorite and makes an impression every time. Thanks for considering our beach staff as exceptional, we do consider that they are very friendly and helpful, and for acknowleding Fernando, who I know couldn't be happier in making you feel as welcome and comfortable as possible. We look forward to welcoming you and Mom back and to continue being part of your wonderful tradition.

Warm regards,
Front Office Manager

Been to The Raleigh? Share your experiences!