“What a let down!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Raleigh

You added The Raleigh to your Saves list
The Raleigh
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1775 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
30% Off Suites!
Ranked #46 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Buenos Aires
“What a let down!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We chose this over the Delano - what a mistake! Only one night to stay in Miami & we ended up here...

We had an ocean view suite - ocean view corridor more like it... The smallest bathroom in the history of American hotels. You could not stand in the bathroom & close the door at the same time... The door had a groove carved out of it so that it could close around the loo seat.

We were frankly perplexed as to how any larger than normal person could actually negotiate the place.... certainly not sit on the loo with the door closed!

The pool área was sad, in that it was obviously unloved - ie dirty & falling into decay...

All maybe OK except that the Price tag was over 850 USD for the dubious pleasure of staying one night... If the stay had been any longer we would have moved straight out after seeing the room.. Disapointed is an understatement.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
brian v, General Manager at The Raleigh, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your review. We are sorry to hear that the hotel was not what you expected. Your comments are very valuable to us and one means by which we improve. I will note your feedback regarding the layout of the room and the size of the bathroom and the poolside; the hotel is in fact an art deco property, the size of the rooms is disclosed in both our website and by our reservations team and for the most part the pool and surroundings is one of the touchstones for the hotel. Our rates are also comparable and standardized for hotels along the strip, and please bear in mind that rates do vary throughout the year, they tend to peak around New Year's. Once again we truly appreciate your feedback and would love another opportunity to have you stay with us and ensure a wonderful experience.

Best regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Stratford, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

What an incredible experience! I lived in Miami Beach 20 years ago and never had a chance to stay at this amazing, historic hotel. We recently had the opportunity to be a guest while attending a wedding. We are happy to review this beautiful hotel. From the moment we arrived, the entire staff was warm, friendly and fantastic! The valet, hosts, bartenders, and wait staff were extremely attentive. The hotel was simply beautiful. The rooms, the pool, the lounge...all gorgeous. The wedding was pure elegance. We can't say enough positive things about our experience at the Raleigh, and cannot wait to have the opportunity to visit again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Raleigh. I’m so happy that you were able to to experience our hotel firsthand especially because you were familiar with the Raleigh as a local from so far back and that everything, particularly the service, was fantastic. I am thrilled that the wedding was beautiful and that all the bride and groom's friend's and family had a great time. We would certainly love to have you as our guest again and the opportunity to pamper you and ensure you have a terrific time.

Best Regards,

Norfolk, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Just returned from 4 days at the Raleigh and a bill of nearly $10K for two rooms to work off! If this were for a week's stay at a truly 5 star caribbean resort I might expect that kind of expense but this place is more like a tired old YMCA. The rooms are small and cramped, the furniture is scratched and worn out, and the staff is more concerned with talking to each other than taking care of guests. And crazy expensive...when we arrived we sent to the outside bar area to have a drink and a snack....$230 for four! Add in all of the Florida state, local, and county taxes and a "resort fee" which is also taxed and you you a perfectly miserable experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I'm truly sorry that the hotel itself was not to your liking. We are an original Art Deco property and we are widely known for maintaining and staying true to the classic Art Deco arhcitecture and streamline design; hence the hotel might seem a little more vintage and quaint, especially when compared to chain properties. Regarding our prices, both for the hotel and food & beverage, we find that they are comparable to other hotels that offer the same location and amenities(beachfront service, 24 hour rooms service, pool, etc.) The taxes as well are standard for businesses in Miami and do add up to 13%. For your consideration, we would love to have you stay with us again and ensure a more than wonderful and carfefree experience. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like discuss your stay in more detail.

Miami, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Our wedding at The Raleigh was absolutely magical! The staff & the accommodations were exceptional. We had the ceremony and reception outdoors in The Oasis. A beautiful & intimate area of the hotel nestled amongst gorgeous palms and seagrape trees. It was just a beautiful affair from beginning to end..We will cherish all the memories of this truly special moment in our lives and we are so thankful to The Raleigh Hotel for making us feel so welcome.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
brian v, General Manager at The Raleigh, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you kindly for sharing the memories of your wedding and your stay at the Raleigh with us. We are very grateful that of all the options out there you chose The Raleigh to celebrate such a momentous and special day. We are thrilled to be part of the memory of the beginning of your life together. We look forward to welcoming you back for your honeymoon and continuing to be party of your story. We wish you all the happiness and the love in the world.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Came down for a quick stay and it was a total, perfect fit! The setting and decor were charming, romantic and classic. Felt like a time machine took you back to when everything was simple and easy, there is no other place like this in Miami Beach; not even close. I have never seen a pool like theirs! Really unique and beautifully designed and maintained over the years. The drinks at the bar were delicious and you have to check out the cool little bar in the lobby. Super cozy and the bartender made the best cocktails. Overall this hotel was just right for a relaxing getaway and the charm inside is one of a kind.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for amazing review. We are delighted that your stay at the Raleigh was just what the doctor ordered. We love your description of our property for we feel it is a little bit of a time capusle and retreat into nostalgic charm and simplicity. The hotel is classic versus modern and intimate versus grand. Our pool is our defining physical attribute and we'd like to think that it is one of the loveliest and most original pools out there. We would love to have you stay with us again and to continue to be your getaway destination of choice when in Miami. Please feel free to contact me directlly to assist you with your future visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Raleigh on a recent business trip. As we arrived, the building exterior is very charming and stylish, and set the tone for the rest of the experience.
The interior is very sumptuous and comforting and full of art deco details.
There is a strong sense of history and character to the hotel which I really appreciated.
The hotel feels quite small and intimate, and the service reflects this. The staff were consistently polite and friendly without being overbearing in any way. We were made to feel very welcome, and as though we were free to do as we please.
The pool is amazing. Quite a unique design and a joy to sit by especially with a drink.
There are 2 bars by the pool. It's lovely to swim in. There didn't seem to be any restrictions about when we could or couldn't use the pool, so I was able to swim before work, even at 5am.
You can exit the pool area directly onto the beach which is a nice touch. We watched sunset one morning, before coming back to pool side for a wonderful breakfast.
There is a 24hr coffee bar, which does really great coffee and bagels, muffins and fruit; this was really handy for a couple of mornings when we had early starts, and no time for a proper sit down breakfast.
If I had to find anything negative to say, it would be that the walls of the rooms are very thin, owing to the age and design of the building, and sound travels; I could even hear people in the lift late at night. This did not disturb me at all, but may be an issue if one is a light sleeper.
The food was wonderful and the cocktails brilliant.
This was one of the most pleasant hotel stays I have ever had.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy that you had a wonderful stay and a great experience. Despite that you were travelling for business I am glad that you were still able to enjoy a nice swim before work each morning and enjoy an early breakfast at our retro coffee bar. As you stated, The Raleigh is a smaller and older property, dating back to 1940, and the style and look of the Raleigh today is for the most part what it was back then, of course this is one of our defining attributes. It also allows for a more intimate and familiar setting. I am glad that our staff provided warm and friendly service a I am thrilled that this is one of the most pleasant hotels stays that you have ever had and we hope that it is the first of many stays at the Raleigh. Please feel free to contact me driectly to assist you with arrangements for your next visit.

Warm Regards,

Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Our family (two adults, two teens) stayed in rooms 508 & 510 recently for four nights. This was our third stay at the Raleigh in the past five years. Driving off at the end of our stay, we all agreed that the hotel was a disappointment this time & we won’t be returning.

Pros :

Location, location, location! You can’t do much better in South Beach than Collins & 18th Street.

Beautiful pool & pool area, great beach accessible out the back gate (must buzz for re-entry)

Shaded outdoor dining under broad-leaf, twisting gnarly trees

Classic Deco style

Many friendly & helpful staff : for example, when I was shown to my room, it turned out to be the wrong type (Queen rather than King, as I had reserved). The front desk clerk immediately corrected the mistake, putting me into a King room.

Cons :

Cramped bathroom with no electric outlet

Old bathroom fixtures

Zero privacy in rooms with adjoining interior doors. In 508, even with the interior door closed & locked, I could hear every word spoken on the other side of that door in 506, even the people's tone of voice! Their crying toddler woke me up two nights in a row at 5 am .. even when I was wearing earplugs!

Weekend brunch isn’t buffet-style

Many rude staff lacking basic manners

1) I didn’t hear a “thank you”, either on the phone after making our reservation, or at the front desk when checking out.
2) I was falsely accused of smoking in my room. Shortly before checking out, I got a call in my room from the front desk. A guest had complained of smelling smoke by my room. I was therefore going to be charged an additional $250 cleaning charge. I denied the accusation & asked that a manager come to the room to personally inspect. I waited 20 minutes & had to call twice before a security guard finally showed up & agreed there was no smell or trace of smoke in the room. To his credit, he apologized for the inconvenience. On my way out, I asked the front desk clerk to confirm that there would be no additional charge. She made no apology for the false accusation, nor did I ever hear from a manager. Disgraceful!

Room Tip: If you're not reserving two adjoining rooms, make sure to ask for a room without an interior con...