“The Raleigh Chronicles” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Raleigh

You added The Raleigh to your Saves list
The Raleigh
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1775 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
30% Off Suites!
Ranked #44 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York
“The Raleigh Chronicles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is beginning to look like the Raleigh Chronicles. I keep coming back and talking about it.
Since my last stay at the Raleigh in April, there have been a few noticeable changes and there are more coming.
My check in hit a little snag. I do not expect, nor may I demand that the room be ready. I'd rather drop off my bag and jump in the ocean. I do appreciate the fact that I was given a room, however wrong and, perhaps, misguided it was, at the very unreasonable hour before the official 3 pm. Later on, the very pleasant Tiffany, the Guest Services Manager, was able to resolve the issue rather quickly. It really made a difference. I come from a noisy city, and I'd rather have a quieter room. Soundproofing at the Raleigh is an inherent issue. I believe they are looking at addressing it as they begin to refit the rooms, floor by floor, from the top down, next year. As I mentioned before, I hope the fix-up does not eliminate the vintage appeal of this landmark. No beige drapery and furniture, no Fornasetti commonplace, please.
My room wasn't the most desirable (next to the elevator) but it had a small entry way, unlike garden view rooms, where you literally walk into your bed. Tiffany told me that SBE bought the property across Collins Ave. Curious to see how that is developed. I am quite sure it won't have the iconic deco pool. Word to the wise: The Shelborne Hotel next door is being remodeled. It is noisy by the pool.
The restaurant is fully rebranded and it is good (Michael Schwartz is the chef). The Food and Beverage Manager Daniel (?) is out chatting with the guests and buying them drinks (I wasn't that lucky though) and talking about the impending changes, like upgrading the pool furnishings, extending the cabanas, etc.
The menu is great. I had the excellent fish stew, the kale salad, the awesome thin sliced chips, the fish tacos and just about every desert on the menu. Do try the prix fixe in the evening!
The umbrellas at the beach still cost you the tacky $15. Really?? Even with the resort fee??
Lastly, three words: Hillary, Robert and Joan. There's something to be said about seeing familiar faces and being welcomed back. Surprisingly, at the room, I didn't get the always nice handwritten note, nor fruit, nor water this time. Oh, well!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We certainly are happy that you have decided to continue to visit us and work diligently to provide you with the best service. I apologize that you had a little snag in your arrival but as always we ensure to make each of our guests comfortable and happy that we were able to move you to a more comfortable accommodation for the remainder of your stay. Restaurant Michael Schwartz is our jewel and proud that you enjoyed the food as well as the great service that Daniel provides to all of our guests. Our Pool staff is certainly stars and almost compliment the beauty of the pool, happy to hear that you felt welcomed home. We look forward to seeing you again and please feel free to contact me directly when you are ready to book. I look forward to hearing from you!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful stay my wife and I had at this unique hotel. From the moment we arrived we were extremely satisfied with the service and amenities . Our room had a perfect view of the historic pool and of the ocean. The room was wonderful and quiet. Complimentary champagne was delivered for our anniversary. The whole property was spotless and quiet while being in a perfect location in South Beach. The shower was the best shower of any place we have ever stayed. This was our 3rd visit to South Beach and we will never stay anywhere else but the Raleigh.

• Stayed July 2013
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Awesome review! Always proud to have another satisfied guest to leave with positive memorable experiences and what a better time than your Anniversary for a celebration of love. The best news is you are coming back and we cant wait to have you! Please be sure to contact me directly when you are ready to book.

Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

If you are looking for a low key retro hip place to stay in South Beach look no further. This is your hotel. If you're looking for a resort style property with resort style rooms,(and bathrooms), you'll be better off at The Loews or Ritz down the street. And if you're looking for the hippest hot hotel in SB, sbe, the owner of the Raleigh, has got you covered, the SLS Hotel just a few doors away would be perfect for you.
The Raleigh is a wonderful Oasis in all that is South Beach. Slipping through the back gate after a night out, or a day at the beach there's a sense of relief and cool classic vibe. The grounds are fairly quiet at night and glow with the luminescence of the fantastic pool and lights strung through the tree's. There are a couple of great bars to where you can grab a night cap and reflect on the adventures of the day.
Ninety percent of the staff we encountered in our 5 day stay were A+. Thanks go out to those who went above and beyond to make our time at the Raleigh memorable. The Michael Schwartz restaurant is not to be missed whether you stay at the Raleigh or not.
I would put the outdoor space at the Raleigh up against any property in the area. The pool and beach,(staff of both included), are fantastic. One caveat; the music played at the front to the pool is the soundtrack fro the restaurant. It is a fairly refined strongly driven horn based jazz track. It is completely out of context for spending a relaxing afternoon by the pool. Move to the back of the pool for more appropriate chill lounge.
Lastly, be aware that there is construction going on everywhere in SB. Some of it seasonal, as some of the rooms at the Raleigh are undergoing renovations. This will have no impact on your stay other than you can't rent those rooms....which are very desirable. But more importantly there are major properties undergoing major re-do's up and down the strip that will go on long after the slow season is over. Be informed before you book as it may impact your stay.
Choosing the Raleigh is a lifestyle preference that is subjective. For us, it was perfect combination. We'll be back.

Room Tip: See review. The rooms are very nice if you appreciate the Art Deco vibe. The standard rooms are rel...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are so excited that you enjoyed your stay here with us! We certainly pride ourselves on being the Grand Dame of South Beach amongst many properties. An Oasis is certainly what we strive to be amongst our peers, for relaxation and a good time for each and every guest. Your descriptions of the property gives us much joy that you share the love of the charm that the Raleigh portrays. We are pleased that the service and overall feel for the property met your expectations and can’t wait to Welcome you back. Please contact me directly when you are ready to book your next stay!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Half of family stayed here for 5 nights, and the other half in another hotel. I had a lost baggage that was delivered to this hotel. The hotel staff didn't notify until 3 days later I approached them after finding out from the airline delivery company that my baggage had been found and delivered to the hotel. The hotel staffs tried to blame it on me requesting why I didn't approach them before. When I requested written confirmation that they had held onto my baggage without notifying me for 3days, I had to spend literally the whole day arguing with 2 managers to get it (they were worried about legal issues) eventually getting the letter from them at midnight!

Other than this very awful experience, the hotel stay was disappointing but ok. Rooms were big and clean which was positive. Location is good. It was very disappointing that the hotel doesn't offer free shuttle bus to and from airport (which other hotels did, even the 3*hotels). Also no concierge service available (bizarre!) so you have to ask the front desk staff but most of them (except the main managers) didn't know enough to be able to help. We also weren't told that we had free access to fitness facilities in the nearby sister hotel (I overheard the front desk telling someone else the day we were checking out and I was very annoyed!)

The restaurant food was nice with a great atmosphere (especially the tables near the pool at night time), but very expensive. I would not stay in this hotel again, there are much better hotels nearby with better services to offer (some nearby hotels even have free cocktail hour!).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. It has been brought to our attention regarding this matter. It is certainly a hotel standard and common practice to provide excellent service to each and every one of our guest and unfortunate that you were unable to experience this during your last stay. We were advised that the items were at the hotel and claimed on August 1s t , 2013 and sincerely apologize for the lack of communication regarding the storage of the bags. We understand the stress this may have caused and would greatly welcome the opportunity to welcome you back in order to provide you the experience you certainly deserve back . It will be my pleasure to personally handle your reservation and will ensure that your stay is to your expectations from start to finish. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We have not stayed on Miami Beach in at least 5 years. Last time it was at the Lowes. So I guess I am out of touch of reality and how much a decent hotel costs in the area if you want beach access. We just got back from London, Berlin, and Vienna. We have been to at least two dozen hotels in Europe and none, I mean none were as small as this room, 607. Everything was extremely cramped, and the bathroom tiny. Extremelly disappointed that I choose this hotel for my 2 night get away. The pool area is a bit run down and definately needs some elbow grease.
But it is very peaceful and relaxing.
At every single hotel we have asked to stay an extra hour after check out we have always been alliowed. Not with this hotel. In fact 30 minutes before check out they were calling to telll us we had to get out. Then when we left our room and went to the lobby to wait for our car, It took about 30 minutes for them to get our car and we were the only ones waiting for our car.
The location is the most positive aspect, just 2 blocks from lincoln road mall.
Oh another super positive is that we were able to rent their bikes. Either $10 for one or both bikes for the day. This was absolutely the best idea we had and had we not seen the bikes we would never had thought of it. We spent about 3-4 hours all around the south beach area with the bikes and I was in heaven. Both excercise and touring the area. The bikes came with locks and it was so much fun.

Room Tip: Do not allow room 607, but then again i did not see the other rooms. And of course maybe price has s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with you. We are sorry that the room accommodations did not fit your need and certainly understand that the charm of the historic Raleigh may not be fitting for all travelers. We certainly suggest trying out one of our suites on your next visit as these rooms may be more spacious for you. Our Pool Area is world renowned and happy that you were able to find some peace and relaxation there during your stay., We sincerely apologize that you were unable to receive a later departure as we would have loved to offer but must consider the experience of the incoming guests as well. The Raleigh bikes are a great bonus for any vacation and again pleased that they were a positive experience while here. We certainly would love to have you back here with us. Please contact me directly when you are ready to book your return visit to South Beach.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

My family and I booked a 5 day/4 night stay at the Raleigh Hotel. Although I've visited miami on many occasions and have stayed at a number of properties on the beach, this was our first time at this iconic Miami location, and it was the perfect choice. The hotel is spotless, it's staff courteous & welcoming, the location perfect and amenities are top notch. It exudes a sophisticated and unpretentious style that is simply lacking in most of the newer boutique properties in sobe. The place truly oozes character.

Our stay was made even more enjoyable by the warm and welcoming staff. brian and his team went above and beyond to accomodate several special requests during our stay. We had breakfast and lunch on property most days and the fare was delightful and varied.

A review of the Raleigh, however, would not be complete without mentioning its fabulous pool. It's hands down the best pool venue in miami. There are abundant lounge chairs and large cabanas with beds for relaxing. The hotel's beach area looked nice as well; but we didn't get to check it as the pool was just too inviting :)

The team at the Raleigh delivered and I look forward to staying there again next year.

• Stayed June 2013
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We are so humbled that you enjoyed your stay here and that you found our property accommodating for you and your family! We pride ourselves on being a charming Oasis of the “new” South Beach in preserving the history and beauty that resides at the Raleigh. We work diligently to make our guest comfortable in our home and hope that we will have made a lasting impression to see you again. A visit to the Raleigh’s pool is most certainly a mark on the list of things to do and are happy that you were able to enjoy it. We look forward to seeing you soon! Please contact me directly when you are ready to book.

Lamorlaye, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This art deco hotel is located perfectly on the beach (back gate across the promenade and you're there), with wonderful internal decor, a great restaurant that spills out onto an open air terrace and a super outdoor pool. However, even the best hotels can have problems, and when your room is next door to the loudest rudest guests in the world, then it will challenge even the best staff to rise to the occasion.
We were at the Raleigh for 5 nights - the first two our sleep was destroyed by the guests next door. The duty manager intervened but to little avail. On the third night new guests occupied the room - but these were no better!!!!! Then we met GABY ROJAS - the front office manager - and possibly the best hotel employee in the WORLD - and I do not heap praise lightly. She did everything she could to make our last two nights perfect - we were moved to a suite and she personally oversaw our transfer. The Raleigh will do well to hold onto Gaby, who is a jewel in their crown!
But miraculously this hotel has more - Julietta from Argentina makes the finest cappuccino on the planet - and as someone who lived in Italy for 5 years this is praise indeed. Her little coffee shop near reception is a real treasure - she had a wonderful smile, a warm welcome and is a perfect barista. And it doesn't stop there either - breakfast staff were exceptional, bell boys ever helpful, the beach guys were a great laugh and nothing was too much.
Great staff make a great hotel even when things go wrong (and even if there is building going on next door). This is a real example of a great team delivering an outstanding level of service!
To Gaby, Julietta and all the others that Max and I encountered - thanks for a great time!

Room Tip: Never take 308 (or probably any derivative - 408, 508 etc.). For whatever reason theses rooms suffer...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, we really appreciate your feedback concerning your last stay. There is no doubt that the Raleigh hotel is perfectly located for the ideal vacation on the beach. We are always excited to hear that we were able to make or even turn around a guests stay, making lasting and memorable impressions. Our staff works very hard to provide excellent service to each and every guest. We are especially proud that two of our shining stars were able to make your trip pleasant, I will be sure to advise them of how they impacted your stay! We certainly hope to see you again soon and look forward to creating more special moments! Please do contact me directly when you are ready to book!

Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Raleigh? Share your experiences!