Overall I just think this hotel is not a great deal, unless you're really going to utilize the pool + beach and don't care about some flaws and the poor value for money. A couple reasons why I think this:
* We requested a quiet room and were put in a room opposite the elevator, which makes a beeping sound whenever it passes a floor (regardless of whether it stops or not).
* And the walls are very very thin - you can hear your neighbor's conversations.
* In their defense, they moved us to another room when I complained.
* Here is a nitpick: I just can't stand hotels where the bellman snatches your bags within 50 milliseconds of you getting out of the cab, or entering the hotel - you are not given a choice, and this forces you to endure them coming to your room and giving you the inane "explanation of the room" which is all just so much BS for them trolling for a tip. I want the option to say "NO - I'll take my own bag." When I'm not given this option, I get pissed. The Raleigh seems to be a hotel where they absolutely don't give you that option, so be prepared for some douche to grab your bag and then hang out in your room for 5 minutes while explaining the light switches.
* Another nitpick: The alarm clock woke us up in the middle of the night. Yes, we should, and usually do, check it ourselves before going to sleep. But the hotel should make it a point of checking it too when making up a room, no? Especially when you are charging what this place charges.
* Hotel is in that 'retro / worn-down chic' style. If that is your thing, awesome. If not, it just kind of seems like a semi-worn out hotel that is charging a ridiculous amount.
* Didn't like the way the shower worked.
So all in all, there is a lot to not like about this very expensive hotel.
That said, I would be remiss to not mention the 2 huge pro's:
1) The pool, pool area, pool lounge, pool restaurant etc is all very very nice. Really great.
2) Obviously it is a south beach beach front property.
So if those are the 2 things you are looking for, all the rest I mentioned probably won't matter to you. And yes, all hotels on these few blocks of SB are hugely expensive.
But if you're going to spend Raleigh hotel money, I'd recommend just adding the few extra bucks and upgrading to one of the ultra high end hotels ... or downsizing to a hotel a few blocks off the strip.
My2cents - sorry Raleigh!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
March 2, 2013
Dear the travelingBGs,
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are very sorry to hear your experience with us did not meet your expectations. Our goal is for all of our guests to leave our hotel with a positive experience and obviously we were not able to accomplish this during your stay. We have several projects in the works over the next few weeks to spruce up the look and feel of our property as well as a project to correct the elevator noise you noted. As well we have gone back and addressed the issues you have noted upon arrival and with the clock in the room to avoid similar occurrences in the future. We would greatly appreciate the chance to welcome you back to Raleigh in the near future and please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly should you be willing to try us once again.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.