“Vintage Cool...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Raleigh

Save Saved
You added The Raleigh to your Saves list
The Raleigh
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1775 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
30% Off Best Rates!
Ranked #45 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
London
“Vintage Cool...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Just returned back from a weeks stay at The Raleigh...from start to finish it was absolute bliss! When we were first booking our Miami trip, I originally looked at hotels on Ocean Drive - thank god I didn't book to stay there - Ocean Drive, despite its glam associations is totally tacky with loud music and touts from all the restaurants hassling you to eat on their strip of the pavement.
The Raleigh is so different.... it sits on a strip of Collins Ave that includes classier joints such as the Delano and the W Hotel.
The room itself ( Sunset View King- 6th floor) was great - spacious, with Miami Deco/ Mid Century furnishings - a vintage corner sofa, vintage 1950's table, Florence Broadhurst "Kabuki" fabric curtains and fab vintage style lightshades. I loved the bathroom with it's vintage-style fixtures and Deco details...and everything was super-clean. They also seem a bit fashion-savvy, which is great - the magazine reading material in the rooms was the CR book and W magazine - cool!!
Every-one on the front desk were friendly and polite and all the hotel staff seemed helpful - we didn't encounter any problems with service.
The wonderful pool is exactly how it is in the photos - Just stunning!! Towels are provided and the loungers are clean and comfortable. The music at the Raleigh was better than most - we heard the techno blaring out from most hotels, and were thankful that the Raleigh's music was of the Amy Winehouse, Smiths, Beck and Gossip variety.
The Martini bar is great - but very quiet! Plus their cocktail list isn't as extensive as I had imagined - but great nevertheless.
Beach access is great, also.
The only downsides were the dinner menu - as vegetarians there was no real option for us- a shame, as we had much more choice on the lunch menu. Also the restaurant and bar were super-quiet in the evening - quite dead really. Would have been nice if they could create a bit more of a vibe and liven it up a bit in the evenings.(We ended up going out to neighboring hotels such as The Shore Club's Red Room, The Delano and SLS just to be around other people for a drink).The lobby also feels a bit like a dead-zone - it's all a bit brown and heavy - it could use a bit of pizzazz or glamour to match the rest of the hotel.
The Raleigh was perfect for us - full of vintage-glamour, rat-pack cool during the day - just a pity that vibe didn't carry through to the evenings.
Over-all, a great hotel, fab service, great rooms and definitely the most glamorous pool in Miami.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

504 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Arcadia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I called reservations & explained that I needed to chill out after bad experience at another hotel chain. From the moment I made that call the staff at The Raleigh helped me to get a decent last minute rate and accommodated me that same day. The hotel is a gorgeous Art Deco historic landmark & the pool is the best in the area for swimming laps & is absolutely beautiful. During one of my swims the staff turned the fountains on in the pool & I thought I had died and gone to heaven, it is so magnificent! The hotel lobby is stunning & customer service was world class and consistent with all the staff and without any attitude. The chic and glamorous lobby and surroundings made it a beautiful & fashionable stay! The coffee shop in the lobby makes a great latte & was so convenient having it inside the hotel. My sheets, enormous fluffy towels and bathrobe were lush and so soft. Lisa is wonderful & provided excellent service by the pool daily. Everything I ordered looked & tasted amazing. My room had a lovely Ocean & Pool view and was very quiet & very comfortable. Room service meals were of the highest quality in taste, presentation and delivery. The maid service did an outstanding job every day & I never even saw or heard them! Life Guard Joan let me take the rope down to swim my 40 laps daily & was always helpful, fun, professional and happy. My stay here was rejuvenating & very relaxing. The location is a perfect strolling distance from the party scene on Deco Drive & a hop skip and a jump to the great shopping & restaurants on Lincoln Road. Roberto stopped by & checked up on my friends & I daily to make sure everything was to our satisfaction, it was an amazingly relaxing & stress free stay!! I highly recommend this hotel for the frequent traveler who wants to know they can check in to a stunning hotel relax, soak up the luxury & drift around in the peace and quiet. I'm really looking forward to my next visit to The Raleigh Hotel on SOBE.

Room Tip: I called reservations and mentioned I had an injury. To my big nice surprise on checking in, I had b...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is a typical Miamiy Beach Art Deco Hotel with all the benefits and draw backs that come along. The entrance hall is magnificent, the lobby and the bar stylish. The outdoor pool wonderful, the restaurant great. The "gym" is very basic and outdoor, it has three (!) machines, one of them was out of order. The rooms are nice and clean, the bathroom is small and functional, the AC is strong but load. The staff is very friendly, I would come again, but if you need a real gym go elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Back in June, I made reservations to stay at this hotel for a few days. As soon as we pulled up in front there was no one to greet us. When someone finally came out, I learned that they did not have valet parking or ANY parking available.

In fact they only have about ten parking spaces in the front of the hotel, the spots are free to park in but are first come first serve. The staff suggested that we park at the valet for another nearby hotel, or use the street or city parking. When we asked if our car would be towed staying overnight in the city parking they were not able to give us an answer. We ended up using the hotel next door's valet for a very high rate since we were not guests there. I learned from their staff that The Raleigh had a separate parking lot but somehow lost the use of it and parking has been an issue.

When I was finally settled in, I wanted to have a drink in their martini bar. When I went down there, I learned that during this time of the year, the bar is only open when it is raining. I ended up having to sit outside at a pool side bar in order to have a drink. One of the reasons I booked at this hotel was because of the iconic and unique bar.

The hotel is a very unique and beautiful property but the parking issue cannot be overlooked. If a hotel wants to be known as a luxury boutique property it has to have valet parking and just basic parking in general.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I've just spent a week at The Raliegh on my own, and had a really relaxing, thoroughly enjoyable stay. The rooms are ok, the best bits of this hotel however are the service from friendly and helpful staff, the pool is amazing and the food is great! Eggs Benedict for breakfast is a must! 15mins walk from ocean drive its close enough to enjoy the nightlife but far enough away to have peace and quiet too! There is a bit of work happening on the beach aT the moment so steer clear, but the pool is great and you don't hear any noise in the hotel grounds, unlike other hotels nearby. From walking along the beach and ocean drive the Raliegh was the best hotel, big enough to have the facilities you need but small enough to have the right level of service and quality food too. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Don't feta room near the lifts - very noisy from 6am :(
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Jensen Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Service was excellent from the moment we arrived until the time we departed. Valet for carpark, bellman and front desk, friendly and helpful. Always a pleasant greeting and smile during our two night stay. Service at breakfast and lunch great as was the food. Hotel lobby, pool and outdoor eating area beautiful. Room was fine, as was maid service. Location is terrific right on the beach and close to Lincoln Road shopping area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I am coming from a tough year and I have made it a point to go to South Beach to Relax.... I was not let down or disappointed in anything while staying there and now I feel amazingly at ease. The Staff was extremely helpful including Fernando and Crispy. It is my wife and I 10th year anniversary and we were given a corner room FREE UPGRADE that had beautiful views of the pool and was very smooth Modern Features. We Loved the pool and the beach and then lounging for an hour in the room before getting ready to go out. Fernando said. "I was thinking about you guys and a place to celebrate your 10 years- Juvia"- We were amazed that the staff had thought of us and made Excellent Recommendations of places to go like Ola' and PubBelly too so we were not stuck on Lincoln Rd as tourists.
Crispy and the Raleigh Staff sent a bottle of Sangiovese to our room to help us celebrate our anniversary on the house which we took to the beach and enjoyed the Sunset Hours on a Life Guard Station- They really made us feel at home there and we did not want to leave.
We had excellent service throughout South Beach and are making the Raleigh our GO TO SPOT for my wife and I to Relax.
Thank you to all the staff at the Raleigh- Sincerely, Matt and Jen Dougherty

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has Ocean View- And if you can a Corner Room- It allows a lot of light!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Raleigh? Share your experiences!