“Awesome” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
West Palm Beach
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

Excellent experience! Romantic and fun place with great ambiance. Restaurants with great food and service. Will definitely go back when in the area.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,512)
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

My expectation going into this vacation was nothing different in that Fontainebleau was rated fairly high. It is to my disappointment that the accommodations provided to my wife and I were undeserving of a Luxury rating. While there, we experienced a number of issues which as a result made our vacation less than relaxing. To start, we had bought groceries before arriving (note the Tresor tower has a kitchen) in which took the bell hop more than an hour to bring to our room. After a number of calls to the front desk asking for a status and receiving a different answer each time, I finally got a hold of the manager to have our luggage expedited to which it came to our room 20 minutes later.
Another issue came with the level of service the entire staff provided. When we asked a question about something in particular (i.e. pool, workout facilities, nightclubs) we received the answer “I don’t know.” In particular the concierge had advised us to “bring more women” to LIV – the club within the hotel.
Another issue we experienced at the pool was waiting to be asked for drinks. We were on the main grounds of the property and not once asked if we wanted drinks. The servers were more interested in standing around talking to each other flirtatiously and not providing any service to the patrons. We were finally asked by a server almost 3 hours into being by the pool if we wanted something to which we ordered 2 drinks. The receipt was very suspicious in that it provided the drink totals as well as subtotal with the final total being off. According to the section on the receipt which was suppose to state gratuity – the cost was already factored but not illustrated on the receipt. This practice is very deceptive and needs to be addressed with the hotel if not the State Attorney General’s office for deceptive business practices.
The experience that had ended my confidence in the hotel was on the evening of July 4th. My wife and I were in our room getting dressed to go out for the evening of our anniversary to which we hear a loud knock on our door. I answered to which the man addressed himself as hotel security. He stated the he observed me shooting fireworks off of my balcony to which was not the case – as my wife and I were getting dressed (note I was in my underwear). He remained adamant and began to argue with me stating that it was I that was shooting fireworks off the balcony. I told him to leave and go seek other rooms below ours. No apology was provided by the security guard. I would also note that a “Do Not Disturb” sign was avoided as well. After the incident I called to speak to a hotel manager of my experience - was put on hold for 5 minutes – called back and was told that the manager was busy and that they would call me back. Needless to say I never received a call back from anyone. The accusation had ended our evening and hopes for salvaging our vacation.
I am not one to complain however I feel as though I paid good money to have the room we stayed in and received less than acceptable service.
Other things to be mindful of - clogged shower, inoperable internet service, flooding, the smell of mildew in the hallways, floorboards coming up from the walls, and pretentious attitudes.
On a positive note "Gotham Steak" was a great restaurant. Very accommodating and an overall good experience.
I give this a “Terrible” rating based on the service alone. Service to me is such a critical element to leisure travel in that if I am not being treated with respect - all credibility is lost.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

Don't pay attention to any older bad reviews. You HAVE to go and try it out for yourself. You wont regret it.

I've been to this Resort a couple of times since it opened (im local) and each time it's gotten better and better! Yes, when I was there during the opening weeks, I did notice some challenges such as long lines, incorrect information.. But what did you expect for a 1500 room resort that JUST opened? Every employee there was new and there were bound to be some challenges. But regardless, it was great.

If you're a foodie, you'll especially love it. The food I've tasted here is some of the best I've ever had in my life. Hakkasan is to die for. You can close your eyes and point at the menu and chances are you will like it. Vida has deliciously fresh food and their smoothies are all natural goodness! I didn't like the pizza at Fresh, but the sorbets are HEAVENLY! I'm also big on coffee, and tried it while there. The waitress told me they use Lamill coffee and that its exclusive to the hotel or something like that. It was the smoothest cup of coffee I've ever had, went down like water... Scarpetta had the most delicious spagetti I've ever tasted in my life and I dont even like Italian food.. I haven't tried Gotham yet, but I've read some great reviews so I have to try it out.

As far as nightlife, I like the Bleau Bar to hang out. I had a specialty drink while there... Blueberry Mojito. It tasted so fresh and went down so easy. I didn't know alcohol could be so delicious. The bartender told me they dont make some of their specialty drinks at night when it's super busy because they take too long to make (that's how fresh everything is), but if you ask nicely, they'll definitely make it for you. I went to both Blade and LIV. I liked Blade the most. They have an indoor and outdoor patio area so you can walk back and forth. The music was awesome and it didn't take that long to get drinks. A good place to celebrate a birthday. What I liked the most about LIV is that they don't block off the general dance floor (like Mansion does.. it's so annoying when Mansion does this), so you can dance and let go right in front of the DJ booth amidst all the action. Also has wide walkways so you're not spilling your drink everywhere.

I only stayed in a hotel room for one night. The beds were very plush and internet was available for a fee, but when you first log on, it lets you visit certain website for free (like yellowpages.com and perezhilton) so save it for when you really need something. I guess the only thing that could be better was the size. The room is small, but then again I got the cheapest one. The pool area is one of the best I've seen EVER. I like the mini pools everywhere. If I go with a big group next time, I'm going to take over one of those things :)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

Had a great experience at the FB Miami beach, traveled with wife and 3 kids 14, 10, and 8. They had activities for the 10 and 8 at the pool. Rooms were very clean, bed was very comfortable. Big bathrooms with nice amenities. Valet parking took longer than expected. Buffet for breakfast was good service was a little slow if ordered from menu. Pool service was great. Lots of bars and restaurants at the hotel. GREAT VACATION

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

I should first say that I'm biased with regard to the hotel's design - my grandfather Morris Lapidus was the original archtiect. The commission catapulted his career from critically acclaimed store designer to world famous hotel architect - trashed by the critics and his peers. His over-the-top design during a time of straightlaced Modernism drew nasty reviews marked by The New York Times stating that you had to be blind to appreciate his work. It was the autumn of his career - he was in his 50s - and the hotel made him a lightning rod for controvery. Time would reveal the brilliance of his design and today he is considered among the leading architects of the world. But that's the past and the proof of the newly renovated Fontainebleau is in the pudding. And oh how sweet that pudding is!! The new hotel pays homage to his original design -- restoring the staircase to nowhere, bowtie tiles and so much glamour -- but the real tribute is in bringing back the experience of everyone being made to feel like a star. The service is great - which is a feat considering there are 1,600 rooms. The rooms are big and luxe and every room has an incredible view. There's so much to do you don't ever have to leave. From incredible restaurants to all the pools, the gym and the spa to the white hot nightclubs, there's something for everyone. We checked in on a Friday and the place was hopping. We couldn't wait to hit the pool so we sent our bags up to the room and grabbed some poolside cocktails and people watching. You'll see every type from celebrities to star gazers and everything in between. You'll hear every language and see every age, shape and nationality. There's a super fun kids pull with a water slide for the little ones and cabanas, hot tubs and lounging areas for the young at heart. We enjoyed the spa, dined in several of the restaurants and experienced several of the pools as well as the beach - all with great service. We left rested and feeling a little more glam. I would definitely go back!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
South Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

This place was a great mini vaca in your own backyard. I parked my car and never left the property. It was a very busy holiday weekend but it was pretty smooth. My room was located in the tower 3, which I never got the full count of towers there on site. But my room was spacious and nicely done. The bathroom is a great size however today in time a double vanity is a must for me when staying with friends. So if you go with friends make sure to ask for that if you need it. The room great, only problem I did have was the bed was dirty with sand and I had to have housekeeping come change the sheets!!!! I was happy about choosing this location its plenty to see. I did not have a chance to go to the spa. But the pool area is amazing they have 8 pools. They have enough restaurants so you dont have to leave, however I did not have an amazing meal anywhere. I tried the sushi spot Blade and the Italian spot called something with a S??? They both were ok. Blade was just funny place to be in. Awsome decor and set-up. Whatever happen to service with a smile??? No one was very friendly, but that's just my opinion!!! I very much disliked the way housekeeping would allow the door to bang against the latch as they went in and out of a room they were cleaning. Bang, Bang, Bang was all you heard in the morning. Sucks for sleeping after a late night out. Oh yeah... latenight... My girlfriend and I tried the club LIV there at Hotel, it has gotten alot of talk. Well... we both thought it was way to small for all the hype we heard. They only have one room, so you can't go listen to another type of music if you get bored and it really don't have a dance floor. At least have less tables so that people can dance around. We had a table but it was so crowed even around your own table we left. We do not recommend this club! Even having a table was a bunch of crap! They made it like going to something so speacial... NOT! But the hotel was great if I could snag one of those great deals I heard about from others I would for sure go back. The pools was nice, packed but nice!!! I have to try the new W Hotel in Miami next... I love that Whenever, Whatever attitude the staff have!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

We checked in to the FB on July 2nd for the long weekend. Concerned becasue we were told this huge 1600+ room hotel was sold out, so we thought the crowds were going to be impossible and service was going to be terrible. We were wrong. Checked in at 5, took about 5 monutes in all. Our rooms were great (2 connecting rooms) for the 5 of us. Our first day at the resort ws on Friday, wow what a day. Servie in the pool was incredible. Staff was extremely friendly and eager to serve. The wait staff is so cool, they even get into the pool !! We experienced everything at the hotel. The bar at the pool, LIV (wow what a night), dinner in a few of the restaurants (Gotham and Scarpetta), excellent (expensive) but great. Breakfast a little dissapointing as the assortment of food was not in line with this type of resorts, but it was fine, nothing to ruin a great vacation. At Checkout, again concerned for the crowds, checked out on my TV in my room and at 5 stopped by at the front desk to pick up my receipt, again it took a total of 5 minutes.
Will come back soon, excellent location, excellent service, Congrats FB you really made our weekend.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Fontainebleau Miami Beach? Share your experiences!