“Fontainebleau? How About Fountaine-no!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FOREVER FONTAINEBLEAU
Ranked #30 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Houston, Texas
“Fontainebleau? How About Fountaine-no!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

If you looking for a beautiful hotel with a smooth veneer and a nickel and diming undercurrent, this is it. The $18 dollar a day resort fee covers internet access in your room and in the lobby (what nice facility doesn't have complimentary internet access in the lobby?), a chair on the beach, the gym (the gym!) and a newspaper (who charges for USA Today?), but you have to go to the front desk to get it. After signing up for the fee I discovered that I could get a chair on the beach and a newspaper without showing any proof that I paid extra. Who tricks guests into paying extra for something that's really available to all guests? And paying to use the gym is something that I just don't get. My favorite: who pays $180 a day and upwards for a room, asks for a coffee maker in the room and is told that their tower doesn't carry coffee makers - the implication being that the other towers do. Question: "Well, may I please have a coffee maker brought to my room?" Answer: "No." Huh? Really? I finally stopped asking for amenities that are common in other luxury hotels. I was with a very large, well-heeled convention group and almost everyone I talked to complained about the hidden fees. Dear Fountaine-no, we spend money, we just don't like to be tricked into doing it!

Room Tip: If you want early morning coffee in your room, you have to be in a suite.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for reviewing Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your guest room amenities and resort fee. We hope to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,419)
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We were 3 girls who had chosen Fontainebleau known for being such an amazing hotel at different levels. Yes, true, many things in the hotel are expensive but it goes with the kind of elegant hotel it is. The staff everywhere we would go was friendly and very helpful. Even when we wanted more coffee in the room they came right away. They even upgraded our room and we had the ocean view suite in the Tresor tower. We ate at La Cote, facing the ocean view and everything was a delight and food was great. There are 3 pools, it is so spacious, kind of like a resort. You also have a private beach which makes it even more pleasant. The location is not central but we would cab and it wasnt that far or too expensive by taxi. Also the bus is just in front if you would like to go to the Adventura mall (50 minutes by bus though). The only negative aspect would be the club. I know they tell you it is not affiliated with the hotel but it kind of ruins the hotel's reputation in a way. We waited 2 hours, got there at 11:40 until 1:45. They were letting in all the ones they thought were worth enough for the club. Guess we werent. I couldnt believe we were there almost begging to get in a bar and chose people behind us even though we had been there before other ones. Power trip...Plus, they would change the cover as the time was passing by...It was supposed to be 35 dollars on Saturday (concierge told us) and it was then 60 dollars. Therefore, if you are going to this hotel just for the club, I dont recommend as you are not guaranted to get in even if you are a guest at the hotel. But other than that, even the Bleau Bar for a drink was a worth while experience. Overall, all 3 of us loved it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay at Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am delighted to hear of your successful girls trip. We remain at your service and welcome you back!
Leesburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We just returned from another 4 night stay at Fontainebleau, our second trip in less than 2 months, both vacations. We have been to Miami quite a few times in the past, and decided to try Fontainebleau a few months ago. We had visited the hotel for dinner, drinks, etc .. however had never stayed. So 2 months ago, we made our reservation, and were excited to give the hotel a try. We had a very good time, and great stay in May .. however there were a few minor details that could have been adjusted. Upon bringing it to the attention of some rather "detailed" employees, the items were corrected in no time. Now keep in mind, what we experienced were minor .. however I am a picky customer. The staff was attentive, apologetic and super friendly. When I told them we were planning to come back for another visit, they assured that my next trip would go perfect .. and did it ever.

Now that we're back home, and planning another trip in a few months .. here is my breakdown:

Pool - The best in South Beach. If you are travelling with your wife / husband / etc .. the scene can't get much better. If you're travelling with your girlfriends / buddies .. the scene is even better. Fun group, upscale .. and everyone is having fun.

Beach - Incredible service and finding chairs never seemed to be a problem, regardless of time of day. Service is fast, considering you're ordering from the beach.

Restaurants - Unreal. Food is always fantastic no matter which restaurant. Our favorite is Gotham, however La Cote is very good as well. Just wished they kept La Cote opened a bit later. It has a view from the top level that's insane

Bars - Lobby bar is the best place to sit, chill .. and people watch. The service is fast, considering how many people they are attending to on a Fri / Sat night. Lots of overflow from the Liv crowd .. which could be good or bad, considering who you're with and what you're in Miami for

Service - Here's where I think fb gets a bad rap from other reviews. We felt that the service was fantastic. Back office was accomodating, front office was even better. Servers were fast. Bell hops quick and friendly.

Value - Although expensive .. you get what you pay for. You're in South Beach!!! What do you expect. A Marriott is $300 / night, right? Drinks are expensive, but again .. you're in South Beach and paying for the entertainment and social scene. I'm just glad fb doesn't have a casino :-)

I would like to say a special thanks for the awesome Italian girl who helped us all week, and the hotel manager. I don't want to post names, but hopefully they will read this. I'm sure you know who you are!!!

I'll be staying at Fontainebleau for my next biz trip mid August .. and again with the wife in a few months. Love it!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for being a loyal guest of Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am so excited that you are already planning two more trips to Fontainebleau! We appreciate your kind comments and look forward to your next visit!
Picacho, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We booked Fountainbleau because of all of it's amenities and superb location. This was our first trip to Miami Beach. All I had to go off of was pictures and reviews. I choose the best hotel in the area. I don't think I could say enough good things about this hotel. At check-in we got an unexpected upgrade to an awesome suite in the Tresor tower. It was a large balcony room with a sitting area, kitchenette, comfy bed, and big bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. We spent 6 days on the property and left once for happy hour in South Beach. We had no reason to leave. The availability of multiple pools, bars, restaurants and the perfect beach kept us very satisfied. Every employee we had contact with was exceptional and courteous . We ate at Scarpetta which had the most delicious spaghetti I have ever eaten - their farmer's market salad, duck ravioli and lamb chops Bon appetit. Gotham had the most tender steaks. La Cote is a great beach/pool bar for drinks, appetizers, and lunch. We frequented it every day. Both the pool and beach staff were there for your every need. Most employees we spoke with were long term employees, one worked there 27 years. That just goes to show you how wonderful the Fountainebleau is. The hotel was at capacity most of the time we were there but you would never know it because of the magnitude of the facilities, never had to wait in line and always found a lounge chair. Don't forget to spend a day at Lapis Spa, total tranquility. All I can say is if you want to be treated like a king and queen this is e place to stay. I already have a week blocked next year for a return trip, hopefully sooner.

Room Tip: Book the room size you can deal with and request an upgrade during your reservation, just in case th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay at Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations and that you considered your recent trip to Miami Beach your best vacation ever! We look forward to serving you again!
Southampton, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have never had a worse experience at supposedly luxury hotel. Upon arrival we were put in a room next to a bachelor party! I thought they were going to come right thru the wall, the noise level was intolerable. We called the front desk and security did come promptly, both times! I finally had to speak to the manager who begrudgingly changed our room, to right above the pool! His attitude was terrible, telling me that we would have noise in any room so I suspect he took deliberate satisfaction in putting us in a room over the pool where the DJ plays ear blasting hip hop! The pool and beach area's are way too crowded, rundown & the music way to loud. You get nickeled and dimed everywhere and beware when ordering from the bars when paying cash. Make sure to ask how much the drinks are (we got ripped off twice) and know that tips ARE included. The staff working the bars & food do not tell you that and gladly take the additional tip, nor were we ever asked if we wanted change! The staff were an unfriendly, pretentious lot that gave me the feeling they'd rather be any place but at work! We were there for a wedding and the food was mediocre at best. We breakfasted at Vida, overcrowded, overpriced & again mediocre. We tried Fresh for lunch and although food there was fine it was overpriced.The only positive was sitting in the lobby at night and watching the crowd trying to get into the club, that was quite a show!

Room Tip: Avoid the " Chateau building", this is were we stayed. The rest of the family stayed in t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for reviewing Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfied experience. Your comments will be reviewed by our management. We hope to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This hotel boasts the reputation of being an "upscale" establishment. The staff is poorly trained and seem to think that they are the celebrity. There is a total lack of respect for women. Prostitution runs rampant. Not a family friendly hotel. If you are looking for the 5 star experience do not visit the Fontainebleau Miami Beach.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for reviewing Fontainebleau Miami Beach. Your comments will be reviewed by our team in an effort to better your experience. We hope to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations!
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The other day me and some friend went to the fountain bleu for my sister bachelorette outing. When we first got there they had the most friendliest staff in valet. I wish i remember his name. Such a cutie. The hotel was amazingly beautiful. It was our first time and we had a great time. We went to scarpetta restaurant. The food was great. I will be comin back to that restaurant. Then we went to LIV night club. They have great looking men working as security, lol. The atmosphere was real fun, upbeat. Drinks were great and they handed out favors after. While waiting for our car, shared a few laughs with the cashier with red highlights. Really nice staff. The car came up pretty quick, didn't wait that long but overall I can't wait to go back to the Fountain Bleu

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay at Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am delighted to here of your successful girls night! We can not wait to have you back!

Been to Fontainebleau Miami Beach? Share your experiences!