“Bad Check-in and Check-out” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FOREVER FONTAINEBLEAU
Ranked #31 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Montreal, Canada
“Bad Check-in and Check-out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We were there during the Easter/Passover week.
Upon arrival we were surprised to see such a long line at the front desk.
There were people checking in, butting in, checking out, getting room keys, etc.
Check in took @ 40 minutes.
It's a good system, because you are so tired from the check in that you don't care what kind of room you have.
The restaurant Vida had good food and service.
Cold buffet is $22., Hot buffet is $28. An abundance of good food.
The pool had 2 restaurants.
Both were good food, fair prices, good service.
Chicken fingers, grilled cheese, quesadillas, paninis, etc.
There are also children's meals
The pool boys were great. I would like to mention John Paul, Bryan, Pablo, Anthony
They set up the chairs and umbrellas and are very helpful.
The resort is clean and the service was good.
Check out of this hotel is not express.
You have to go to the front desk.
We checked out with Ezra who apologized that we had to wait in line for over 30 minutes to check out.
I don't remember Ezra apologizing for the resort credit of $150 that was charged to the room instead of being credited to the room.
We asked him to get the manager. He said Anna H was in the back.
We could not figure out why she stayed in the back and did not come out to deal with the long line and speak to us.
We finally left without speaking to her as we had a plane to catch and the check out delayed us by close to an hour.
It is a shame that the trip ended on this note, as the staff we met, other than the front desk does what they can to make your stay enjoyable

Room Tip: The rooms in the Chateau are close to the main pool and the restaurants. Try to get a room with a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your generous comments regarding your stay at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I apologize for the delayed check in and checkout process you experienced, and I am very excited that the rest of your stay was more than a pleasing experience. We appreciate you taking the time to recognize our team members: John Paul, Bryan, Pablo, and Anthony. Rest assured that we will share your unpleasant check in and checkout experiences with the front desk team as we strive to provide efficient service. We look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,426)
  • Turkish first
Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

There are many things to consider before staying in this hotel.
First, rooms are small, considering the price. I've stayed a couple of times, if you have view of the ocean is better. Also if you have a higher room is better as the lobby and club get really noisy.
My room was not clean. The A/C had dust that was spread all over the room. Remote control was old and hard to use to change channels.
Food is good in the high end restaurants, Scarpetta and Hakkasan. But very average for breakfast and expensive.
Service is rude, they think the hotel is the trendy club and everyone behaves this way. Te line to complain, called "call Morris", didn't resolve a thing.
My recommendation is to use the same money and book a better hotel, there are plenty!

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am sad to hear of your unsatisfying stay, although we are pleased to hear of your great dining experiences at Scarpetta and Hakkasan. Rest assured your comments regarding service, and guest room amenities/cleanliness will be reviewed by our team. We hope to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

4 nights at the fontainbleau whilst my husband was at a conference and have to say that despite all the glitz and glamour it we were able to get a very nice and homely feel too. We were accomodated in a room with a pleasant living area, desk area for work as well as a fridge, hot plate and microwave. This rounded our experience and made it all the better!

Room Tip: It is expensive+++
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experience of the Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am pleased that we were able to successfully accommodate your guest room needs as we strive to provide our guests with the best facilities and fastest service. We hope to see you again!
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in the tall tower in a suite. Loved the property and the old school swank vibe of the place. Have a cool feel with a swank decor and lots of open space in and out. Busy place with lots of action if that is what you are looking for. Food and bev pricey but no more than other comparable. Added bonus was sitting near Goldie Hawn in the sushi restaurant!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I am pleased to hear you appreciated the glamorous Fontainebleau Miami Beach. Thank you for sharing your experience and exciting celebrity sighting. We look forward to having you back!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Up until a few years ago, the word "Fontainebleau" was synonymous with a tired, worn-out hotel that was decades past its heyday. Wisely, the Fontainebleau waited out the early years of the Miami Beach reinvention "comeback" until it could truly develop a reinvention on its own terms.

The product is amazing. All areas of the property, including the two main 50- some odd year old buildings, feel fresh and modern. The rooms are small but are tastefully decorated and include imacs in the rooms. Most rooms seem to have some ocean view.

The pool area is amazing. It includes one large pool and a series of smaller more intimate pools. There are a few artificial lawns intermingled among the pools. There is one kiddy pool complete with lifeguards, a water slide, and a separate lawn. Bars and restaurants are intermingled among the pools. The beach and boardwalk are right outside the pool area and there are chaises, umbrellas, and cabanas available on the beach as well.

I've seen a lot said on this site about difficulty getting spots at the pool and beach. We were there the week of Passover and Easter when the hotel was 100% full and did not have any problem getting spots. Perhaps if you decided to begin your day at 2PM, then you may have difficulty but if you reserve your spot reasonably, then it is not a problem. The staff does have this annoying habit of putting "tickets" on your chairs indicating that if you do not return in one hour then they will give away your chairs. I did not see this happen and a staff member confided in me that they will not evict a spot if there are belongings left on it.

One minor annoyance was that they reserve the front row of the beach for paid cabanas. The week I was there, this seemed to be taken up by rather obnoxious group of nearly 50 people of all ages who seemed to think that they had purchased the beach all to themselves. They were loud, distributing food and alcohol among themselves, and had total disregard for others trying to enjoy the beach. The beach attendants seemed oblivious to this- perhaps they were distracted by the literal fistfuls of cash, presumably gratuities from these people, that I saw one of the attendants carrying.

Overall the staff was incredible courteous. Here are a few examples.
-At the beach one day, forklifts were moving huts around directly behind our seats. The manager, without us asking, comp'ed our umbrella that day.
-When I misplaced my key, the front desk manager personally walked me up to my room and opened the door.
-The banquet waitress, Iveth, who served us daily during our Passover meals (we were with the Lasko Passover program) was incredibly sweet and nice. She hugged our children, anticipated our needs, and we were privledged to work with her for a week.

One thing that I will say about the property is that while it appears trendy, it is certainly not "the" spot for hipsters like the SLS or W may be. It was a comfortable place for families. That being said, the nightclub at the Fontainebleau, Liv, is alleged the hottest nightclub in Miami Beach.

One mild complaint I had was that there was no turndown service. The explanation I got was that the hotel was full and that they did not have the staff to turndown that week. I felt this was a weak explanation- that's not my problem and I as a guest should not be penalized.

Overall a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Versailles tower was fine and just as close to the action as the Chateau. I saw no reason to pay mor...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your generous comments regarding your recent stay at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am pleased to hear you were impressed with our renovated facilities and amenities as well as our one of a kind service. Your minor displeasure concerning our turn down service will be shared to our team. We look forward for an opportunity to serve you again in the near future!
toronto, canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

2 kids, hubby and I stayed here for part of march break and I really enjoyed myself, my husband found it a little too pretentious. The pools are beautiful, and access to the beach is perfect! The only negatives we found were the food at the restaurants was pretty bad, not what you would expect for a place such as this. We met some other guests and that was there experience too...so not just us! Also, the kid pool...not so entertaining for kids. There is no colour, no activities or toys in the area for kids. Usually in places we stay they have some float devices or other balls etc for kids to enjoy. But what really got us was that the entire kids area did not even have anything which would stand out for kids...I didn't expect mickey mouse all over the place but even the mushroom water fountain was just plain white. I remember coming before the renovation and the place as I remember it was more kid friendly, now its more of a pick up scene!
Overall though the hotel itself is beautiful and staff are really great!! Awesome for couples or friends.

Room Tip: You can rent owner rooms for a fraction of the cost of hotel rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience while staying at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach. It is a pleasure to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed our beach, pools, and service oriented team members. I am sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with our dining and FB KIDS accommodations. Rest assured that your constructive criticism will be looked over by our team. We look forward to your next visit!
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have mixed emotions on this hotel. In some ways its over the top bling was funny although I dont think this was intentional. The hotel is more like a nighclub - good luck trying to get through the lobby with your suitcase after dark as its packed full of very young and very loud kids. Everything was a little too big, too blingy and too crowded for my liking although the spa was excellent. I dont eat meat so the food in all the restaurants was a disappointment. Be careful in Scarpetta especially if you are Jewish, Muslim or Vegetarian. After explaining I didnt eat meat the waiter served me a basket of bread with salami hidden in the middle of it. He wasnt apologetic at all. Overall this is a hotel that thinks it is elegant and classy when the reality is its tacky.

Room Tip: If you dont like noise, ask for a room away from the nightclubs - the Sorrento tower or Versailles.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience during staying at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our relaxing Lapis Spa. I am truly saddened to hear of your troubled encounters with both the restaurant and nightlife. At Fontainebleau, we work very hard to ensure all of our guests are comfortable and expectations exceeded. We assure you that your comments will be shared with our team. We hope to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Been to Fontainebleau Miami Beach? Share your experiences!