We went to Miami this past weekend for a long weekend getaway. I've always wanted to stay on Miami Beach, and several friends who live in Miami told us this hotel was the EPITOME of Miami Beach.
You certainly feel pretty swanky when you pull up to the front of the hotel - valet parks all the nicest cars along the entrance. I honestly wish I could remember the gentleman's name who took our bags because he was the nicest person we encountered....in all of Miami! Valet was also very nice.
The lobby is absolutely beautiful - it just takes you away instantly. It's stunning. It was so packed at midnight on Saturday but it was such a fun scene with everyone there. I loved it. Amazing people watching.
The girl at the front desk was very funny and was a nice welcome to the hotel. In my booking, I said we absolutely MUST have a double - we had another couple staying with us. Then another couple wanted to stay with us for just one night, so I asked for a cot. I originally booked an oceanfront double, but when I asked for the cot she said I wouldn't need one because we had an oceanfront junior suite which has two beds and a pull out sofa- I was NOT complaining! Not sure if we got upgraded because they ran out of doubles or what.
The suite was AWESOME!! Very spacious with a wrap-around balcony because we were on the corner. Views of the ocean were nice - but we were only on the third floor so I think higher up would have yielded nicer views. We were in the Sorrento tower which was nice but it was on the very right of the property next to some other hotels - one of which was BLARING Cuban music for 5 hours straight one night. The Fontainebleau was quiet as far as I'm concerned - or at least I wasn't able to hear any other guests or music from the hotel from where our room was. We were playing music in our room pretty loud and got zero complaints - this hotel is made for partying which I loved.
That's about it for the good. Everything else was beyond dissapointing. The hotel is massive, but aside from that, it is poorly laid out. We weren't able to figure out how to get anywhere and I've been to several larger-scale resorts and had an easier time getting around. Just trying to get to the beach took nearly 20 minutes - and the hotel is ON the beach!
You have to show your room key everywhere you go, so make sure you have it on you at all times.
The food was absolutely NOT up to par whatsoever. Room service dinner was good enough- if we were at a Hilton. The breakfast was so gross by boyfriend who I call a garbage disposal for eating anything, wouldn't eat it. They put something on the eggs that made them taste like someone was trying to blatantly poison you. We got dinner from Vida one night and it was so inedible, we ended up starving ourselves because we couldn't get the food down. I was pretty mad. Friends told us we should have gone to Hakkasan, but we wanted food to take to the room and Hakkasan won't let you do that. We had to leave the hotel to finally have a decent meal.
We never saw housekeeping once. We had to call for towels and I must say, the towels came pretty quick compared to how slow everything else was. We waited 45 minutes for a cart to bring our luggage down - well, we DID wait. Then we just left and carried all of our own stuff because we couldn't wait any longer. I understand in Miami the lifestyle is a lot slower than where I am from up north, but even this was a bit much for me.
Couldn't get the WiFi to work for the life of me - we had a computer in the room which was cool, but I wanted it on my phone and no matter what I did I couldn't get it.
The beach was super crowded but not unbearable. I ordered a drink and got it 45 minutes later (literally - we timed it). They apparently spilled my first drink and didn’t find it necessary to tell me it would take a while for another one. We got a total of three drinks in the four hours we were at the beach, even though we ordered many more that just never came. Super annoying and disappointing. It wasn’t even like the staff was being slow or goofing off - they just didn’t have enough people there or runners to the bar to get the drinks pumped out faster. They need a bigger staff down there I guess. Or a better system.
All-in-all, we paid A LOT of money to stay at this hotel and the room was worth it. It was big, fabulous and I felt like a movie star. But the hotel as a whole just didn’t do it for me. I think when we come back to Miami, I’m going to look for a slightly smaller hotel that’s more intimate.
- Also Known As:
- Fontainebleau Miami Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- Fontainebleau Miami Beach Hotel
- Fontainebleau Hotel Miami Beach
- Fontainebleau Resort Miami Beach
- Fontainebleau Miami
- Fontainebleau Hotel Miami
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A spectacular blend of Golden Era glamour and modern luxury, Fontainebleau today reinvents the original vision of legendary architect Morris Lapidus – a stage where everyone plays their unique part. At Fontainebleau, striking design, contemporary art, music, fashion and technology merge into a vibrant new kind of guest experience. We invite you to enter a world where you are free to play, shop, dine, spa, meet or simply relax – however you define your perfect day. Express yourself in an environment that surrounds you with every kind of pleasure and invites every sort of adventure. Following a $1 billion renovation, the 22-acre oceanfront hotel features signature restaurants by award-winning chefs; two chic nightlife venues; a two-story, 40,000-square-foot spa, expansive poolscape, a pristine Atlantic Ocean beach and state-of-the-art conference and event facilities. A landmark since its debut in 1954, Fontainebleau has been restored and transformed by a team of renowned architects and designers to create the most dynamic destination resort on the eastern seaboard. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Sabre Hospitality Solutions , Amex, Hotels.com, Tingo, Otel, getaroom.com, Venere, Agoda, Fareportal and Jetsetter so you can book your Fontainebleau Miami Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.