“Nice property, very poor management” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FALL FOR BLEAU
Ranked #28 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
new york
“Nice property, very poor management”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Hotel is located on a beautiful ocean front property and manicured grounds, however the overall feeling is of a shopping mall. The management had lost a sense of its dimension, and cannot deliver a service and hospitality that a hotel of this magnitude (and price tag) should. We go to Miami about 3 times a year, for the past 15 years, and have been to most of the top hotels on several occasions (Canyon Ranch, Mandarin Oriental, Delano, etc), but this time we've decided to stay at the Fontainebleau. From the check-in, which resembles JFK airport on the day before Thanksgiving, the mediocre and over priced room service, carless reception assistance, to the the non-stop loud techno music at the pool side (from morning to night) our hotel choice this time was a big mistake! Again, great location and awesome pool, but if you are looking for exclusive service, quality, hospitality, and sophistication, this is the wrong spot at a rip-off price.

Room Tip: Sorrento Tower, hight floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,357)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

12 girls, 1 bachelorette, lots of cocktails. This hotel was the perfect place for it all.

My friends and I stayed here last weekend for our good friends bachelorette party. I used to come here when I was a kid about four times a year, but havent been back in about 10 years. What a difference! The place looks nothing like it used to. Its modern, fun, has tons of restaurants, and a gorgeous pool area with a DJ, hot tubs, amazing poolside service and more.

A few of the girls had dinner in Scarpetta, the in house Italian restaurant that originated in NYC, and raved about how delicious it was. On Saturday night we headed to Liv, the nightclub inside the hotel and it was a blast. Its a huge place but not overpowering. The music is great (mostly dance with a hint of top 40) and confetti dropping galore.

The rooms are a bit small, but to be honest, with all the hotel has to offer you carely spend any time in there anyways, so who cares? The spa is GORGEOUS and defintely recommended. Pricey, but worth it.

The hotel is perfect for large groups as well as couples, but I definitely wouldnt recommend it for families - too much craziness.

Thanks for a great weekend Fontainebleau!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights on holiday. The hotel itself is amazing for its architecture and styling. The staff, with the exception of the front desk, were extremely helpful and professional. Both front desk staff, check in and check out, were not very sharp and I felt treated in a very brusque manner. Very glamorous place to stay. We really enjoyed having drinks in the lobby bar just people watching. I had a fantastic Vesper martini in honor of Mr. Bond's stay in Goldfinger. While everything at the hotel is brutally expensive, it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Yorba Linda, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I was here for a meeting. I had a bad first impression based on the service at the front desk, which never improved. Although there was only 1 couple in line at check in front of me, it seemed the line was taking too long. I started to pay attention. What was happening was folks were walking right up to the desk, bypassing the line, to ask questions or whatever. And the staff were allowing and even encouraging this rude behavior. When my "turn" came, I walked up to the available attendant. She actually sent me back to line to help the guy who had just walked up. When she did grant me audience, I let her know I did not appreciate the treatment. Not surprisingly, my room was small with a view out the window of the opposite tower. If I went to the window and looked left or right, I could see the bay or ocean respectively. Although the rooms have been updated, no amount of marble can make up for the small 1950s sized rooms. The bathroom was particularly small for 1 person and would have been difficult for 2. No in room coffee added to my displeasure. Dinner at Gotham was not as good as a chain steak house such as Ruth Chris, and pricy. The spa was spacious with some interesting features such as the rain rooms although my masseuse was not particularly skilled. Overall, I left the Fontainebleau thinking, thank goodness I didn't have to pay for all this myself. It was So not worth it.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a cool hotel, no question, but for the price it fell short of expectations. Here's where it fell down; Room I reserved was not available at check-in, (King Bed) and I was put in a room with two queen's with no offer to move the following day. Room was dirty; only some channels worked on the TV; alarm clock was broken; valet never answered their phone when we called to have the car brought up. On the positive, food was good; setting is amazing; room was quite; most of the staff were friendly.

If you do stay here, you want an upper floor, higher than 5, to catch the views.

I think the hotel survives because of its location and night life; the nightlife is as good or better than any Vegas hotel. However, the cost and quality of the room fell short of what should be standard at this price-point. When paying Ritz or Four Seasons prices I expect much better than this. My advice is stay close by and simply come here for the nightlife.

Room Tip: Upper floors, even numbers
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Natick, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We checked into the Fontainebleau late Monday night after a 4hour drive from key west. We were so tired but as soon as we pulled in there were plenty of friendly people waiting to give us directions and help us with our bags. We had booked a standard city view room but Athina at the front desk upgraded us to a junior suite ocean view on the 14th floor. I couldn't believe it. My boyfriend and I usually don't stay at places this nice so when we got to the room and went to the balcony we were jumping up and down. The view from these rooms are breathtaking. On one side beautiful view of the pool and Miami beach and the other side star island and a beautiful city view. Our balcony was around 500sqft! Everything at this place is top notch. The pool area, the restaurants, the service, the rooms and the lobby. Loved the IMac in the room with complimentary internet. The service at the Fontainebleau is really good. Anywhere you go someone is asking what they can help you with. Any request you have no matter how big or small is taken care of quickly. I cant say enough about our stay here. Anytime we come back to Miami Beach we will HAVE to stay here. Anything else would not compare! Had dinner at Gotham Steak and Scarpetta both are pricey but worth it! Its vacation!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms on the 12th-15th floor at the Chateau have breath taking views of the pool area and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We just go back from a five night stay at the Fountainbleu in Miami. We have stayed at this hotel for over 20 years. Our recent stay was abominable. The staff is friendly but that is all it has to offer. Everything is overpriced, from the water to the food, etc. etc. Our first night the fire alarm went off but we were told not to evacuate until further notice. Twenty minutes later, we were told it was a false alarm and to go back to sleep. Of course, by that time we were wide awake. People in the individual stores are rude. To get anywhere we had to take a cab which were driven mostly by Haitians, as they have taken over the taxi industry. We were not happy and will not be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay close to the original hotel. Otherwise, you will be hiking and taking elevators to get to anyw...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Fontainebleau Miami Beach? Share your experiences!