“Love boat on steroids” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
alabama
“Love boat on steroids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Great history , beautiful and well maintained grounds and nice health club but I was overwhelmed. Everyone has their tastes and this place was just not for me. If you want a 1600 room hotel that never sleeps this is your place, Would go out to the pool around 10 am and could not find anywhere to sit down. Night clubs going nonstop. Was in the S Tower and had a really cool room except for three days the commode kept overflowing. I don't know but working commode is kind of important. One night turn down service was sheets turned down and all the pillows were strewn around the room. Waited 4 hours for a time sensitive package to be delivered to room and when I called they kept telling me to stay in the room as it was on the way. Finally went and got it myself. Twice was told a manager would get back to me and they never did and one time it was an actual manager that made that promise. I am sure this is a place for some folks but I will never go back because they are guilty of something I find intolerable and that is creating an expectation of excellence and then failing to deliver,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,507)
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Fontainebleau is very good but overrated...For the price you pay, spend a few more hundreds and stay at the Setai which offers everything.

I stayed in the Tower...it has a nice view but for the price we paid, we found that the quality and the service was not there. This hotel is huge and you never see any staffs. There is no doorman, 2/5 there would be NO ONE at the front desk. The hotel has NO indications of whatsoever. You can get lost, it is like a maze, you could be turning around in circles for hours and still be at point A. Check-in took me 35minutes which is ridiculous. My boyfriend and I were very mad since when we came, the lady was on the phone and she wouldn't hang up (how polite is that).

Room has no cups, coffee machine & bathrobe. Really? for the price we pay, they can't even offer us that.

I was very disappointed and will never come back here..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Saying this is a pricey hotel is the understatement of the year. It's a five star property on South Beach so brace yourself. Having gotten that out of the way here is the review:

If you are looking for a " happening" pool scene this is the place. There are over 10 pools scattered all over the property. The trick for getting a chair ( yes there can be a wait) is to come down early leave some clothing behind and then come down every hr. if you are gone for more than a hr you will lose your spot.
Pool service is terrific.
There were some pools we didn't get to see , so explore.
The beach is gorgeous. Beach chairs are included BUT the umbrellas are not. 25.00 for umbrella.
There is a night club in hotel Liv and its considered to be one of best night clubs in the country. If you are interested in going you should book online in advance. It was sold out for men and women had to pay 60.00. Needless to say we did not go given my husband's inability to get in.
The lobby also has a huge bar and on a Sat night it was packed.

The resort is about a 10 min cab ride from South beach. ($10.00). Cabs are at the hotel. Not a hassle but disappointing if you expected to be in the middle of it all.

If you are willing to drop some serious coin you will have a blast.

• Stayed January 2013
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I'd like to provide some feedback about my recent stay at the Fontainebleau . My trip started well, as I was pleasantly and efficiently received by the valet in the busy driveway of the main entrance. The valet was helpful and welcoming. I then proceeded to the conveneint temporary registration desk set up by the drive. I was warmly greeted by Athina, who proceeded to check me in. Unbeknownst to me, my credit card was past its' expiration date, causing me to embarrassingly fumble for my other card, before recalling that I had left it in the car. As I worked through the situation, Athina was incredibly gracious and friendly, and then quickly engaged the valet and bellman to assist while my car was retrieved and my credit card obtained.

After checking in, I encountered the only negative point of my experience, the campus is extremely large, with 4 hotel buildings. It was difficult to find the Versailles tower where I was staying, and signage was poor or non-existent. However, when I took the elevator up to the 14th floor of the incorrect tower, the housekeeping staff was very helpful and gave me clear directions to the proper building.

I was at the hotel to speak at an event being held by my employer. We had reserved a conference room, serving dinner and staffing open bars in the reception area as well as the dining room. Every staff member involved in the process was exceptionally competent, courteous and professional. From setting up A/V, to the wait staff and bartenders, they were exceptional. In addition, the meal which was served simultaneously for 200 people was delicious (a rare feat)! We hold many of these events, and this was the best overall experience we have ever had while hosting an event.

The huge property is immaculately clean and well maintained, and there is something for everyone. I'm sure we didn't even take advantage of most of the amenities. Every staff member, including; the hostess at the poolside grill, wait staff throughout, the bartender at the Lobby bar, the front desk staff, the valets and bellmen, were incredibly warm, competent, and helpful. It was really impressive to see such a large property managed so exceptionally well.

Of course you get the great energy and hip vibe you expect in SOBE, but without the hassles of noisy rooms or indifferent service. I would highly recommend the Fontainebleau for both leisure and business.

Tip: Ask ahead of time which tower your room is in, and which driveway would be most convenient for your arrival.

Room Tip: Views vary significantly, and a room with ocean view is worth it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Pembroke Pines, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I had the best massage by Roman! I loved my 80 minute Masters massage! Roman is great and he made me feel so relaxed. It was literally the best massage I have ever had. Also Abigail was great at the front desk, very professional and helpful. Gabi at the Locker was also very sweet. This was a great experience and I will be definitely coming back soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

This is my third time in this hotel. I stayed there last july, alone, and this time I came back with my kids. If you want a room with more space, choose a Deluxe room with beach view and balcony. The Gotham restaurant is delicious, but, with kids, share a dish. The portions are huge. I would like to mention Meir, a guy from THE Valet that helped us arranging our luggage at our car.

• Stayed January 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband & I had time for a quick getaway & picked this hotel because of all the hoopla surrounding it, and since we didn't bring our kids, it seemed perfect for an adult weekend. The room was nice enough (junior suite), but I wasn't overly impressed, and there is no privacy on the balconies. Each floor has 1 long connected outdoor space separated by a divider on either side; so you can be having breakfast & the people next to you are right there looking at you. The view was amazing though. Also, the room service attendants did not pick up our breakfast remnants until the evening (we even called when we were done...and they had come to clean the room during the day). I like the amenities (Mac, wifi and dock for iPhone).
The pool was great, and servers attentive. Seemed to be a hot spot on Saturdays (almost a Spring Break feel to it). Be warned...when the music is playing during the day, it is LOUD.
We did not go to the club, but the lobby bar was quite a scene in itself...lots of people watching, good drinks & a DJ.
The spa was excellent & the shops were all high end. Restaurants were pretty great too. All in all, I would recommend it, especially if you get a deal like we did ($100 spa credit, $100 dining credit, $ off if you pay for stay up front.) Be sure to check the website for monthly specials. Oh, and be on the lookout for celebrities...apparently this is a popular hangout for them.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Fontainebleau Miami Beach? Share your experiences!