“Great romantic get-away!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
East Lansing, Michigan, United States
“Great romantic get-away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

First vacation without the kids (ages 1 and 2), what a romantic experience! We were totally pampered from the moment we walked in the door. Our plane arrived 6 hours before official "check in" but we checked our bags, went to the pool and our room was ready in 30 minutes! Brianna at the front desk realized this was a romantic get-away and she totally surprised us and sent a special gift to our room that we enjoyed all week. Pool and beach are perfectly manicured and clean, attendants were professional, super fast and friendly, and the hotel is in a great location. 41st street is right across the bridge and has a ton of little restaurants and places to visit.

The recommendations for area attractions, restaurants, etc were excellent (deep sea fishing was close and we caught several 'trophy fish') and we ended our trip relaxed, refreshed and even had a little tan. Will return for sure in the future!

Room Tip: Rooms on Collins Ave have traffic all night and even though we were on the 8th floor the taxi horns...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
I am delighted to hear you had such a memorable experience at Fontainebleau! Thank you for sharing your enjoyment with our beach and pool facilities, and the service we extended to you. Our 2,200 team members are trained to go above and beyond in catering to our guests. I assure you Brianna will be recognized for a job well done! Please come visit us soon for another unforgettable stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,426)
  • Turkish first
Nashville, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I just spend 7 nights at the Fontainbleu in Miami Beach, for a conference, and then for 2 extra nights. Although it's a very nice hotel, I have many complaints with this hotel:

1. When I checked in, I was put on the 6th floor, above what amounts to a noisy obnoxious disco every night of the week. When I could feel the bass vibrating through my pillow at 1am in the morning, I finally called the front desk and demanded to be moved to a higher floor. Thankfully, they did move me, and to their credit, upgraded my room. They get mixed marks for this--although they remedied the problem, it should never have been a problem in the first place, and I should have either been warned of the noise, or (better) they should fix the problem with blasting awful music at all hours of the night.

2. When I rented a room belonging to a private owner for 2 nights, I was stuck with a $40 cleaning fee for each day of my stay. The room had a towel bar that was almost falling off the wall; other than that the room was decent, but again, overpriced.

3. Restaurants - food was good, but ridiculously-priced. Virtually everyone in our conference complained about paying $10 for a bottle of water, or $10.50 for a hot dog. Ridiculous.

4. Guest Services - when I called for information, it was a tossup as to whether I'd get a friendly voice; sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't.

5. Bell Services - when my girlfriend arrived at the hotel, no one offered to handle her bags for her; as a small woman with an injured wrist, it was difficult for her to manage her bags, and we were both displeased with the lack of assistance. To make matters worse, I was sent (by the concierge) to the wrong front entrance to meet my girlfriend's car; this actually happened twice to us.

Next time I'll stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere, but definitely don't accept a room lower than the 8th floor in the Chateau buildin...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
I would like to take a moment and express my deepest apologies for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay. It is disappointing to know we lacked in communicating important details on the location of your room upon arrival. I really appreciate you reaching out to us so we could fix the situation and find a more suitable option for your stay. Our goal is to go above and beyond in exceeding our guests’ expectations. We really hope for an opportunity to achieve this for you in the future.
Guildford, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We arrived and checked in after a long flight from the UK to find they had upgraded the room to a suite in the Tresor Tower. The room had a view of the waterway and of the ocean and was wonderful, with a handy balcony and kitchenette on was on the 28th floor with awesome views.The pool was fantastic and altough the loungers are all pretty much occupied we never had a problem getting one and spent most of the time in the pool rather than on the lounger. The sea temperature was amazing and the beach had the softest sand. You can order food by the pool and its is expensive but the quality and service is great.
So the down side.... WOW - The COST!
As previous reviews have mentioned, this place is astronomic when it comes to cost - even coming from London which is arguably one of the most expensive cities in the world! First start with the beach - Cost $25 for an umbrella on the beach. If you want shade and with the sun burning down most people would, its going to cost you!

Everything comes with an 18% gartuity added "for your convenience" and then there is the option to give an additional tip!! One round of 3 coronas - $35!! The food in all the restaurants was very good but the service which was 18% for our convenience was terrible. Too over attentive to the point where it was rude, trying to clear plates before everyone had finished, serving across people and generally constantly interrupting to find out if our food was ok.

The conference facilities were well organised but the A/C in the meeting rooms was near freezing so be prepared to wear a coat!

The spa was very good value as my flight was not until 10pm and we had to be out of the rooms by 11am, so by leaving the bags with the bellman and getting a day pass at the spa I was able to relax and shower before my flight and be ready for the long journey home.

Have heard several separate reports of things being stolen from around the pool and off the beach which people were supposedly keeping an eye on their things, so DO NOT leave anything of value. The thieves are skilled and swift. One person lost a bag with iPhone/iPad/Passport/Wallet - a not very nice end to their vacation. You can get a locker in the gym for free to store your things in!

All in all, aside from the cost, the hotel was lovely and the 11pm LIV lineup in the lobby and bar was an added bonus for people watching fans like me.

Room Tip: Tresor tower has the most balcony rooms Go as high as possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
It was such a pleasure to have you stay with us! We are thrilled that you were so impressed with your suite in Tresor. Your visit to Lapis Spa sounds like both a memorable and convenient experience! We want to apologize for any prices offered on our property that you did not feel comfortable with. We do hope the value and service had a positive influence on your perception. Thank you for offering a recommendation for other guests to properly store personal belongings and not leave them unattended by the pools. As we do not hold accountability for any unattended items, we gladly offer different options in protecting them. We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future for another unforgettable vacation!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

This is our second time staying at the hotel, and we loved it even more so than the first. From the location to the pool, everything about it was fantastic. We had a car, so we parked with valet for 11days, and loved the service. Justin Carrasco at Valet, was the best member of staff at the hotel, he went an extra mile and made sure we were properly looked after. Its little things like this...that makes us want to come back again next year!!

• Stayed June 2012
This review is beyond rewarding! As a new loyal guest, we are honored that you had an exceptional second stay at Fontainebleau! Thank you for sharing the true impact Justin had on your overall experience. We will be sure to praise him for going the extra mile in serving you. We are very excited to see you again next year!
Vancouver, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Came here for a 4 day business conference for developers. While the property has a reputation for being resort expensive - there was definite sticker shock and here's the most annoying thing about it - If you're going to charge 20% mandatory tip on every purchase no matter what the quality of the service - STOP TELLING ME WE CAN GIVE YOU AN ADDITIONAL TIP - it's unprofessional for a resort property to support this tip pan handling.

If you want to spend a lot of money and feel like you're one of the rich crowd, perhaps this is the place for you. Quite frankly charging nearly 20 bucks for a drink of such poor quality and then the surcharges says you care less about your customers than you claim.

Also - what is it with the hookers in the beau bar? Propositioned THREE times in 2 hours by hookers?

Really?

No one can debate the great beach and pool setup. But if you end up going here take this advice:

1: GO OVER YOUR CLOSING BILL with a fine tooth comb. I had over 300 dollars in charges taken off for services and "upgrades" we did not ask for nor receive. Follow this through with every bar order as well. We found different waitresses charging different prices for drinks.

2: DO NOT EAT HERE unless you like paying ridiculous amounts of money for food that I guess is made to make you feel important. There are plenty of excellent restaurants down the road in South Beach much more worth the money (and for a lot less money) than the stuff they peddle here.

3: Resort Fee - Every larger property seems to have them but truly - say NO. There's no "Free" newspaper - (you have to go downstairs and get it) - If you have a cell phone - who needs the phone? Wifi? go down the street.

4. NOISE - beg for a room as far away from main building as possible. We were 8 floors up and had the club music and noise all night

5: BEDS - hopefully if you pay more for the rooms further away - you'll get a bed that didn't feel so uncomfortable.

I realize a bunch of people love this kind of property because it suits their needs for a "luxury" look and feel and I've paid to stay at some amazing properties and resorts world wide but this place tries way too hard, charges way too much and just leaves you with a bad taste in the mouth for buying into it.

Sorry Fontainebleau - I wanted to like you and most of your staff to be fair were nice and helpful but you HAVE to do something about the hookers in the bleau bar , the arrogant waitresses there charging whatever they feel like and the overall gouging going on.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you sincerely for taking the time to post this valuable feedback. We appreciate your kind words in recognizing our team for their warmth and friendliness. At Fontainebleau, we strive to do our absolute best in welcoming and catering to our guests. With this said, it is unfortunate to learn that we did not exceed your expectations. Our hotel fee is designed to offer a bundle of services at one reasonable cost. We hope you had the opportunity to utilize some of the diverse offerings including: unlimited wired and wireless internet access in guestrooms and at the pools; Gym access and beach chairs for all registered guests in party; local dialing and toll-free calls; and newspaper daily. Please accept our invitation to return to Fontainebleau, as we promise to recommend room and dining options to better suit your preferences.
Palos Verdes Estates, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We were rather stunned when the taxi pulled up to the entrance and there was a large crowd outside smoking and milling around. Then we went inside and were stunned again with loud music, disco lights, and scantily clad kids on the dance floor. Yikes, I sound old, but I thought "what are we doing here?" My husband had a conference here for the next 5 nights and I was definitely worried. Checked in and my husband had upgraded the room to a suite in the Tresor Tower. This was away from the noise and frolicking, so I was a happy camper. Our room had a view of the waterway and of the ocean. I think this is a better view than the ocean front view. The suite was wonderful, with a washer/dryer, balcony, kitchenette. If you are coming here with a family, you would really like this set up.

OK, so here's the skinny: The pool area fills up by noon. The pool attendant's are very nice and will get you a chaise, but you are on top of your neighbor. Not a lot of space. The food ordered by the pool is expensive but the quality and service is great. The beach area likewise: crowded chaise lounges, but attendants and staff very nice. Cost $25 for an umbrella on the beach. I didn't do it for myself but if you have kids you would definitely budget for this. It was blistering hot and I slathered on the sunscreen.

On to the restaurants...Vida has a great breakfast buffet. La Cote has a wonderful "al fresco" feel. Husband had the lobster thermidor, I had mussels and we had the most incredible beignets for dessert. Ivan was our server. Great experience. Next night we ate at Scarpetta and splurged on the prix fixe 4 course with wine pairing and were not disappointed! We had the best polenta dish ever there.

There is a market about 3 blocks south from the Tresor Tower on Collins Street called "Primo Market and Deli" where you can get supplies for your room to keep the cost down.

Room Tip: Really liked having a room with a view of the waterway and the ocean. Don't think I would pay mo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
We are delighted with your overall perception and value of Fontainebleau. Although mentioned some of the prices may have seemed higher than expected, your praise of our quality and delivery is much appreciated. It was a true pleasure to have you stay with us while attending a conference on property. We are thrilled you had the opportunity to try some of our exclusive offerings and that you found satisfaction with your stunning Tresor suite. We would like to make a suggestion for you to visit the pools in the Tresor or Sorrento towers, where more privacy and relaxation can be offered. We are looking forward to your return for another enjoyable stay!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Amazing setting at the hotel,
Well priced meals and great portion sizes.
Excellent table service from Luke@Vida
They didn't have the churrasco prawns available but he swiftly proposed to have the snapper with carrot cuscus.
Great decision there from a many who knows his tastes well
And his menu even better!!

An awesome experience and once again great service!!

• Stayed July 2012
We cannot thank you enough for sharing your incredible dining experience at Vida! It makes us proud knowing your meal and the service received was beyond perfection. We will be sure to recognize Luke for his consistency and gracious hospitality in serving you. We hope to welcome you back in the very near future!

Been to Fontainebleau Miami Beach? Share your experiences!