“The Red Room” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Baltimore, Maryland
“The Red Room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2005

I didn't stay at the Shore Club but I did go to the SkyBar on Saturday night. What a time I had! The music was great the people and service was top notch and I had no problems with the door men. I will say this, if you get a chance to experience this place do so, you won't regret it.

• Stayed October 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2005

We had been to the Shore Club before to dine at Nobu and it appeared to be a great hotel. So, we stayed there 5 nights over Labor Day weekend only to be disappointed by the majority of our visit. You could hear everything going on in the hallways and adjacent rooms due to the concrete floors. The maids didn't come until after 2pm each day and there wasn't even free high-speed Internet! We were treated poorly by the most of the staff and in fact, we couldn't even get into Red one night because they said it was "reservations only". We offered to purchase bottle service so that we could get in and they flat out refused. There was no seating available at SkyBar unless you purchased bottle service. I don't think you should be banned from all seating when you are a guest in the hotel. Nobu would not allow us to reserve a table for dinner and we had to wait almost two hours to be seated. Again, the fact that we were guest was not taken into consideration. Since the rooms were small and unimpressive, I assumed that the $300+ a night to stay there was to provide access to all amenities (such as SkyBar, Red, Nobu) without the staff being rude or refusing service all together. If you decide to stay there you will not be afforded any guest privileges!

• Stayed September 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2005

What a disappointment! I read the reviews and should have listened. We paid a premium for our room and it was DIRTY. The sheets were ripped. The maid came in our room late to clean it, but she said we were in her way so she was not going to vaccum. The floor was cold and where ever one spills on the floor it spots. The shampoo and conditioner were refilled. The halls are loud and people are going in and out of there rooms all night. The pool was cool and NOBU was fabulous! I have stayed at the Delano and will go back there. CAN'T WAIT!

• Stayed January 2005
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2005

My boyfriend and I were in Fort Lauderdale over July 4th weekend and decided to check out of our hotel up there and pay a visit to South Beach since neither of us had ever gone. I had heard the Shore Club and the Delano were the place to stay and on impulse called and booked an Ocean Front room for one night at the Shore Club.

Once I had booked my non-refundable night’s stay at the shore club I sat down in front of my laptop and checked out the reviews on TripAdvisor. Let’s just say I got a pretty bad feeling at the pit of my stomach after reading these reviews. All too often have I fallen into the trap of staying at these super trendy hotels that completely lack service, treat you like dirt and expect you to just be satisfied for having the privilege of staying there. My heart totally sank – especially since I knew I would have hell to pay for from my boyfriend who absolutely hates these kinds of hotels.

Having said all that, I am extremely happy to report that the Shore Club is not such a hotel. I was expecting plenty of South Beach attitude but instead got nothing but friendly staff that was nothing but accommodating for the my entire stay. In fact I would say that the money we spent to stay at this resort was worth every penny as the staff did everything they could to make our stay more enjoyable.

We were originally supposed to arrive on Sunday afternoon well after the three o’ clock check in time, but somehow found ourselves at the Shore Club at 1 PM. Our room was not ready but we were offered a key to the gym and told we could change there and leave our luggage in storage until our rooms were ready. To my great surprise we were lounging on the beach within 35 minutes of check-in.

The men’s lockers in the gym were missing keys which had all probably been taken by previous residents of the hotel but I figured I wouldn’t have a problem leaving my well worn sneakers without a lock as the gym area didn’t seem so high-traffic. I notified the front desk thinking that maybe you had to collect a locker key from them, but this was not the case. I was totally expecting a nasty look and a helping of attitude from the people at the front desk to brush me off and just flat out send me away because they didn’t have a key but instead what I got was a sincere apology. “I’m a little bit embarrassed to say that we haven’t taken care of the locker room issue, Mr…” she said. Very unexpected, and very nice!

We received a call on my cell phone just before 3 PM letting us know our room was ready, but opted to stay at the beach until 4.30 since we were having such a nice time. When we got to the room I was thrilled! Ocean Front rooms are the way to go (unless you can afford to stay in the pent house villa!) – our room was large, clean, and spacious and our bathroom even more so. The king size bed was uber-comfortable and it didn’t look and feel as though it had been squeezed into a room that was too small as is often the case at a lot of these hotels.

I don’t understand why people on this site complain about the bathrooms and the concrete floors. You are in South Beach, not Nantucket – you don’t need parquet floors! The floor was not that cold – and anyway its summer, I found the floor totally refreshing.

As for the $32 toiletries, this is probably becoming standard at higher end hotels as I have seen it in the past. But I don’t understand how some of these reviewers get so irked by this as they had complementary samples sitting right there in the shower/bathtub area. Just leave the expensive bottles on the shelf and go for the free stuff, it’s not that hard and no one is going to think any less of you.

A word of caution about the bathrooms, however: I was rinsing out our bathing suits in the sink and left the water running when the bell boy brought up our bags. When I returned there was a small but growing pool of water underneath the sink. As it turns out, the overflow is not connected to the plumbing and water simply leaks out onto the shelf and floor below. I mopped up what I could with the extra towels and called the front desk. They had fresh towels and a new hair drier for me in under 10 minutes. They sent a plumber up to check my drain in almost half that time. The plumber confirmed that the overflow was not connected to the plumbing and I promised to be careful when I rinse out my bathing suits in the future and hoped they would not charge me for destroying one of their hair driers. (I have not yet been charged for same, and at this point do not expect I will be.) Agian, the hotel handled themselves beautifully. Full Marks!

The entire hotel transforms into a club complete with a velvet rope outside the front door after 10.30 PM on weekends. It is nearly impossible to sleep (even on the higher floors) until the music stops abruptly at 3 AM. If you are coming to South Beach for some R&R, the Shore Club is not for you. What was at 11 PM background ambient noise that sort of gets you psyched for going out later that evening, had by 2 AM morphed into a totally annoying, regrettable phenomenon. Having booked our room only the day before we were given a room on the 6th floor -- which is a lower floor so the noise was all that more audible. We had spent much of the early evening walking along Lincoln Mall and Ocean Drive and had not wanted to go out for more than a drink or two. We had no idea that it was basically expected of you to stay awake until 3 AM when the party ends or else bring industrial strength ear plugs. When I had booked the room at the shore club I was told by the Vicky (who does reservations for both Shore Club and Delano) that the Shore Club had a better view of the ocean, a balcony, and a more party atmosphere. Boy was I in for a treat. They really mean PARTY when they say it at this hotel. I expect that the party often spills into the lobby and it’s not hard to imagine the lobby itself getting packed with 2,000 people dancing away.

At 2 AM when we were leaving the Red Bar, it seemed as though half of Miami was packed outside clamoring to get in. My boyfriend and I are not what you would think of as “beautiful people” so we were given some apprehensive looks when we walked up to the door around midnight. Thankfully, they took one look at our hotel passes and quickly let us through. A random couple slipped in behind us. The music was your standard top-40-rap-music that you might expect at a resort. Lot’s of fun in general. For $17 a drink, I was expecting a taller glass, but that is probably the worst of my complaints for this hotel. When you drop $460 a night on your room, you expect that everything will be priced along the same scale. So there were no surprises there. Still the drinks at the Red Bar were served in the same smaller plastic cups as the drinks on the beach which I did find a bit odd.

I guess my only other complaint about the Shore Club is the location. Being on 19th Street and Collins Ave it is rather cut off from everything else on Ocean Drive. Lincoln Mall was close by, and the beach in front of the hotel was great, but I didn’t get to see much of Ocean Drive and that totally bothered me. Getting my boyfriend to walk to the Versace mansion was difficult enough, and most of the shops on ocean drive are on the other side of the mansion which I didn’t get to see. That in itself is also a bit disappointing. I like to do a lot of exploring on my first visit to a new location so that I know exactly where to go if and when I return and I just wasn’t able to do that on this trip because the Shore Club is located on the Northeren end of South Beach.

Sleep deprivation aside, I had a wonderful time at the Shore Club. We were allowed to keep our room until 2 PM on our checkout day without incurring an extra charge but were able to leave our things in storage. We spent the morning at the beach, check out of our room at 1.30, and found a highly coveted spot by the pool until 4. The pool area is nice, though people reserve the chairs and beds very, very early in the morning so it’s hard to get a spot. On Sunday afternoon the pool was packed with like a million people so we didn’t mind skipping that for the beach. I was kind of grossed out by the people to pool-space ratio anyway. But on our check out day, Monday, things had quieted a bit and we were able to enjoy the pool. I don’t know what it is about hotels in Florida but they seem to have a bad and totally unnecessary habit of heating their pools. So you are sitting out frying in the sun and want to jump into the pool to cool off and get refreshed. Instead the pool water is just as warm, if not warmer, that the outside temperature. Personally, if they had music on the beach (which they don’t), I would skip the pool area all together as the beach is totally more enjoyable.

We left the pool at 4 and went to Ago the Italian restaurant in the hotel. the food was good, but nothing to write home about. Just your basic Italian cooking. Still, Ago is right above the main pool area so they offer a nice view and it’s a good place to grab a bite without putting too much effort into it. My boyfriend and I eat at Nobu in NY pretty often and have also eaten at Nobu London and Mykonos so we skipped out on this one.

Around 5.30 we went back down to the locker rooms, showered and changed, picked up our luggage from the porter and left the hotel in a cab for FFL. I thought checking out of our room and staying by the pool would be a total cumbersome drag and that the hotel staff would make you feel totally guilty for making them accommodate you for a few extra hours, but I found just the opposite to be true.

All in all the Shore Club is a wonderful hotel that has somehow gotten a bad name on this site for whatever reason. But I have to say it somehow manages to pull of the totally-cool-hotel-where-the-beautiful-people-are vibe without losing much, if anything in service and quality. Even the hotel-club phenomenon will not dissuade me. Instead, next time I will be better prepared. In fact, I cannot wait to go back and hope to do so at least once before the end of the summer season. The only reason I have stopped short of giving this hotel 5 stars on the tripadvisor meter is because I feel like I have not stayed there long enough to get a complete idea of how things are. My next trip will most certainly be at least one night longer. If you are looking to spend an entire weekend partying till you drop, this is the place to stay. Book now!

• Stayed July 2004
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

I was very leery about staying at the Shore Club after reading so many negative reviews, but I had a great experience from the minute I was greeted at the door! (My boyfriend and I stayed June 16-19, 2005) The staff is very polite and discrete. I read the reviews about not being able to sleep in lower level rooms, due to noise from the night clubs, and asked to switch rooms to something higher. The front desk staff was very courteous, and put me in a partial ocean view on the 17th floor! I couldn't have asked for anything better-it was really an amazing view, and you can see the whole beach and ocean. The noise is a problem even at that level on the weekends. We came home at 2am after going out and could still hear music downstairs, but it's not unbearable.

The only complaint I had about the hotel was that it could use some cleaning or renovations. Everything is minimalist, and aesthetically pleasing, but there are rust stains in the bathrooms, and the elevators look worn. I also saw a cockroach in the bathroom late at night.
The staff is accommodating and I don't think they ever said no to anything we asked for(although we are not complainers) They always had a spot for us on the beach, and there are plenty of servers to take care of your food/drink needs. Beware- everything at the Shore Club is ridiculously overpriced. Oatmeal was $12!

We found some great restaurants (try Wish for a truly incredible experience-best food I've ever had, and Toni for sushi). The concierge(Julio) gave us contact names for all of the best clubs, and we walked right in. For most, we didn't even pay a cover. Amica and Prive were our favorites.

As for a "South Beach attitude", I never saw a glimpse of it. All of the people there were friendly and attentive. We never waited to be seated and were promptly served. Coming from New York, we may be more tolerant to dealing with "attitude" than other people, so it may strike some as indifference or rudeness.
Be prepared for gorgeous topless women on the beach if you have kids or are offended by it.

Overall, the Shore Club was an excellent experience, and I can’t wait to return!

• Stayed June 2005
Miami, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2005

Stayed at the Shore Club over Memorial Weekend, lets just say the room was a closet. The concrete floor is cold; on the plus side it gives your body a jolt when you get out of bed in the morning. Our view was of a side street/parking lot, not so bad considering it was Memorial weekend and you could people watch. The walls are paper thin so you hear everything, not muffled conversations, so clear I should have asked them out to dinner I knew them so well. On the positive they allowed us to check in early on one of the busiest weekends of the year, the valet had our car waiting every time we needed it and was very polite and informative. Next time I'll try the Ritz Carlton or the Royal Palm.

• Stayed May 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2005

We stayed in Miami as part of a round-the-world trip. We were really looking forward to 4 nights in such a supposedly "cool" and "hip" hotel. From the first moment at the check-in however, the service and attitude from the staff was appalling. I have never come across such arrogant people. The room was also horrible and felt like a hospital room. The corridors also carry noise only too well which meant you could hear everything going on down the corridor, including late night revellers at 6am. Upside was a really nice bar and pool but they didn't even come close to making up for the service we received.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Shore Club South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!