“"Second Stay was a repeat performance -- in a word, "EXCELLENT"” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #42 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Clifton, NJ
“"Second Stay was a repeat performance -- in a word, "EXCELLENT"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Our first trip to The Shore Club was in April 2009. I wrote a detailed review of my first experience on TripAdvisor ("The definitive review of the Shore Club -- read here first!” posted May 5, 2009). That review offered my thoughts on who should visit, and who the hotel probably doesn’t work well for, so please read there if you are looking for more detailed comments.

We returned for our 2nd stay in June. In summary, our experience was just as positive, so I can highly recommend the hotel for people looking for a unique South Beach experience. For me, this is a great “getaway” destination, and we will be returning for a long weekend at the end of July, so that alone should tell you how well things went!

I’ll offer some feedback, some of which may be repetitive if you read my first review:

THE VIBE: Fun, party environment. Music will be playing by the pool and at Skybar -- some have called it “loud”, but I disagree – the music and volume are part of the experience that the Shore Club offers. So if you are looking for a quiet getaway, this is NOT the place for you. On Sunday afternoon there is an all-day Pool Party with a DJ right at the pool. It’s crowded and more of a scene. We found it to be a blast, but we met people who didn’t care for it at all (you can go to the beach which is steps away if it’s too much).

THE LOOK: As you can see from the web site, the hotel’s look and feel is South Beach Art Deco style, which I personally prefer to the new construction at the Setai or the Gansevoort. We visited the Setai and Gansevoort and if you blinked you might think you were in NYC for a moment! You’ll never be confused when you are at the Shore Club and the Delano – both are pure South Beach experiences.

COMMENTS ON THE VIBE / HOTEL: The crowd is young / young-minded couples and singles who are in good shape, looking for a lively environment, and like to dress to impress. Given that, the hotel probably doesn’t make a lot of sense for families with young kids, older folks, or people looking for a quiet, serene environment.

THE STAFF: It puzzled us to read negative reviews from some people about the staff. We found the staff to be friendly, warm, and more than happy to help in any way possible. Stacey who works at the pool was exceptional, and is worthy of praise. After a rainy morning we went to the pool and Stacey made our drinks, served them to us in the pool, provided us with DJ services (her Sunday Pool Party iPod mix – her DJ name has something to do with a specific bird, from what I remember ;-) ), served us food, etc. Christophe, the Manager of Skybar, introduced himself and made sure we were happy with the service. Unfortunately I cannot recall other employees’ names (due to my drinking, oops!), but everyone who helped us was great. NOTE: A word to the wise – whether at the Shore Club or any hotel/bar/restaurant, if you wish to be treated well it always helps to treat people with respect. That means acknowledging staff members in a friendly manner, smiling, etc. We noticed several people giving attitude towards Staff members. Why does anyone believe that method will produce good results?

THE ROOM: We again had no issues with cleanliness and everything worked fine. The room we stayed in was an Oceanfront View, King. The style is minimalistic to accentuate the beauty of the ocean view. It is clean, simple, and functional – but that is the intention. If you want plush carpets and tacky framed pictures on the wall, this is not the place for you!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

I love South Beach. The bars, sexy lounges and hotels. The great beach. I go 2-3 times a year. I just returned form my usual July trip and sadly, South Beach may be just about over. The Shore Club was a very hot scene 5 yrs ago. It has definitely become far less exclusive. Security now pretty much allows anyone into the pool and club. The hotel is starting to show major signs of wear and tear. It longer has a gym(you can go to the Delano) and there is a general feeling of decline. And prices have become outrageous. $11 for a bottle of Voss water in my room, $15 for the same bottle at the beach? $42 a night to park my car? It's very rude, and now tips are included everywhere, even for drinks at the bar. But it's not just the Shore Club, I also went out to the Mondrian, the Gansevoort, the new W Hotel and the Fountainbleau Hotel. While they were all better that the Shore Club, the scene seemed tired and at least 30% less crowded than previous trips. Is South Beach over for now? Maybe...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
shoreclubmanagers, Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2009
Dear NYCguy212,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a great stay. We truly appreciate your comments. Your feedback helps us to improve and to continue offering luxurious service in our minimalist setting. Feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss this matter further.

Best,

cward0625
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

This hotel is awful. We are away on vacation and we reverted to this hotel as the hotel we wanted was fully booked. We are now at the Ocean Z hotel for the same money, as we got a deal, and words cannot explain the difference.

Shore club started off as bad from the get go. They had 6 guys standing outside doing nothing when we pulled in. One took our bags and told them they would be in our room as soon as they get the room number. Well we checked in, room number provided, got to our room and no bags....We waited 30 mins, but wanted to get to dinner as it was now almost 7pm. I called and spoke to Charmaine?? at the front desk, she said she would talk to the bell hop and they would be right up, bell hop calls 2 mins later stating they are on their way up with them. Another 30 minutes pass no bags still. I then go down and our bags are sitting there so I tell the front desk guy, Jose, who really does not offer any reason for the problem. I carry the bags up myself, which I would have done in the first place but the guy said it was going to be taken care of. Don't over promise and under deliver.

In our room at 6pm we could her the music from the pool/club area crystal clear, which didn't enthuse me. We then got back at from a night out at 12 am, and the music was booming, it basically sounded like i had the music full blast. Eventually I was so tired i fell asleep and then woke up in the night and still heard the music. This is pretty ridiculous. Music should not be booming into a hotel room this late at night/early in the morning.

On top of this the rooms basically have these dirty looking speckled concrete/cement tiles as floor, I was walking in bare foot in my room, and a big piece of broken glass got stuck to my foot. Luckily I did not cut, but with floor like this its impossible to see what crap is on it.

I also woke up with back pains. I am in my mid 20s and this bed was completely uncomfortable.

This hotel is an uncomfortable experience. Its not a hotel, its a club that has an area with some beds if you need it. No quality hotel service. If your 21 and constantly drunk, maybe this is your hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
shoreclubmanagers, Guest Experience Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2009
Dear cward0625,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are here to provide each of our guests with luxurious service in a fun and lively ambience; I'm so sorry to hear that you did not find that with us. We would have loved an opportunity to turn your experience around, but we understand your decision to go. If you'd like to give us that chance in the future please feel free to email me directly at: darwin.jose@morganshotelgroup.com

Orlando, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

I have no clue how on earth this hotel got so many bad reviews. My wife and I are in between the party and relax scene- we want both, and the Shore Club delivered, making a weekend where we were celebrating birthdays fantastic.

We arrived for a three-day weekend, and -from the valet to the front desk staff- check in was a breeze. Next morning, we were on the beach where they got us chairs without a problem, with clean towels and wait staff serving their beach. Service took a while, but they got to get from the hotel to the beach and back, so not unreal. Then back to the pool where there was a wait for chairs; not surprised as many reviews here warn you of this. No worries, as we just found some people to put our items next to, and then took our drinks in the pool for a dip. Relaxed there for a couple hours- great DJ on Saturday- and then went up for our massages. Wife got the best massage she says she has ever received; me...not so much. Before the massages we got a quick bight at Ago; very nice pizza (and one of the few things that would be deemed reasonably priced; I'll get to that later). We returned after going out around 1am and to my surprise, despite a vibrant club scene in the Red Room, we had no problem going to sleep. Both nights we had no such problem, our room was quiet as could be at night. In the morning around 1030 we could here the room next to us, but they were hardly pumping bass music or being intrusive. I dont get the other reviews, not my experience AT ALL.

The negatives: the pool bartenders were so busy that they seem indifferent. The prices are expensive too; bar food will run $18-25 at the pool, and the in room extras were a tad silly ($30 for suntan lotion?), but this is South Beach, and everything of quality is expensive. You shouldnt fool yourself otherwise.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
shoreclubmanagers, Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2009
Dear jjesq99,

Thank you for posting this wonderful review. I'm happy that your experience was very pleasant and I'm also glad to hear that your wife had a phenomenal massage. We hope to have you again soon and show you an amazing time in Miami Beach all over again.

Thanks again and all my best,

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

On May 29th 2009, we checked into the Shore Club Hotel. My fiancée and I were celebrating our engagement and as such this was one of the most important weekends of our lives. We are bi-coastal and live in both Los Angeles and NYC and are an extremely well traveled couple. Upon our arrival we were rudely greeted by one of the front desk attendants and after waiting for almost 40 minutes we proceeded to go to our room. When we go to the room we observed some residues of a white substance by one of the nightstand tables, the toilet was filthy with yellowish water and had not been properly cleaned and the cements floors were sticky and not properly scrubbed. When we noticed the surroundings of the room, we promptly contacted the front desk and housekeeping to inform them of our findings. They assured us that we were going to be relocated to another room and to wait for a call back. Of course, we wanted to enjoy the day and left the room in pursuit of some daily activities. Upon our arrival, no message was left and we contacted the reception once more. Again, nothing was done until late the same afternoon and the room was finally sanitized properly during turn-down. No apologies and explanations were made by the hotel manager or head of housekeeping.
The following day our hotel charge card was lost at the Shore Club pool and we immediately contacted the front desk to advise them of our misfortune. They timely delivered another charge card to our room and guaranteed us that if any unauthorized charges were made, we would not be liable for them. On Sunday and upon checking out, we received our bill and quickly detected that two unauthorized charges were made; one for $60.77 and the other $106.02 at the Sky bar pool. Upon checkout, we brought up these charges with the front desk and were assured that we would be contacted in the next week by email or phone and that these charges would be removed. We waited for a manager to confirm this, but after 45 min decided that we could not longer wait and headed to the airport. Not only was this issue not resolved on Sunday, but we also missed our flight back home. The only resolution was the promise “we will call you back and follow up on Monday”.
On Monday we were not contacted by anyone from the front desk or the accounting department. We attempted to telephone the front desk several days both Monday and Tuesday, we spoke to Chris, Charmaine and several people from the accounting department and also wrote two emails. By the end of the week, we received an email from the Sky Bar manager (see attached) informing us that there will be no credit back because someone’s signatures were on the receipts. We promptly responded to his email addressing and clarifying inaccurate information, but never heard back. Over the last few weeks, we wrote more email and called several managers with no resolution.
We have written three emails addressed to the Sky Bar, the accounting department and to the hotel manager and nothing has been done after almost a whole month. We feel that this situation has been rudely dismissed and handled extremely inappropriately. We continue to call and write emails and still there is no response.
We ended up speding a lot of money, taking time off from work and our engagement was ruined with this experience. We are still awaiting a response back from the hotel and keep writing emails and placing telephone calls. The hotel managers not only do not return calls or emails, but also refuse to give us information for the Morgans Hotel Group so that we feel we can not reach out to Corporate customer relations. We are absolutely astounded by this type of customer service.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
shoreclubmanagers, Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2009
Dear Maya77729,

Please accept our apologies again for the confusion in handling your issue. As you may have already noticed, this matter was resolved prior to the posting of this review. Also, our hotel manager attempted to contact you to apologize and to inform you that the amount disputed had been refunded as you requested. I wish there was something more that we could do to make up for this inconvenience. Feel free to contact me directly if you need further assistance.

Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

I found the hotel to be worn out and in need of a makeover. My girlfriend and I enjoy the Morgan's hotel group. We stayed at the Clift in San Francisco and the Mondrian in Miami and are staying at the Sanderson come September. The Clift and Mondrian were in excellent shape and offered a great vibe for the CHIC traveler. The problem we had with the Shore Club was the lobby, elevators, hallways and rooms all need to be redone. The hotel has had it's day... The staff was very friendly, the pool area is lively and the scene is still cool. I agree that it is loud late into the night so be prepared before you come. Sky bar is excellent and offers great people watching.

If they could do what was done in NYC, close the hotel, remodel and soften the decor from being too plain, the Shore Club could get back to what it once was, ONE OF THE BEST HOTELS IN SOBE!

Before I can recommend the Shore Club, a makeover MUST be done.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
shoreclubmanagers, Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2009
Dear MHGC,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. Thank you also for your comments regarding the style of our hotel. I'm glad that you felt the friendliness of our staff and that you enjoyed Skybar also. Your feedback is very important and is taken very seriously by our management team. We hope to have you again soon; feel free to contact me if you need assistance with bookings, or if you'd like to discuss this matter further.

los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

The hotel definitely could use a little facelift BUT...between the restaurants, pool party and ambiance, it still rocks!! The main downer is that there are such a limited amount of chairs at the pool that you have to wake up at 8 am and save your chair!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
shoreclubmanagers, Guest Experience Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2009
Dear sofee202,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our "rocking pool ambiance" and the rest of our hotel amenities. We'd like to make sure that during your next stay you have a wonderful experience as well. Feel free to contact me if you ever need any assistance with reservations, or if you like to discuss more details about your experience.

Best,

darwin.jose@morganshotelgroup.com

Been to Shore Club South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!