“Best Pool Scene Ever” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Boston, MA
“Best Pool Scene Ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

Visited the Shore Club with 5 girlfriends for a bachelorette weekend. From the minute we set foot on the property, we were treated so well. Frasier helped us with our bags and informed us of all the amenities in the hotel which was so helpful. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable with great views of beach and downtown. We ate at Ago several times and loved it. The bar at night was also very fun. Most importantly, the pool scene was fabulous. Max, Henry and Kevin were so hospitable to us and kept the party going. Whatever we needed they were quick to help out and we felt like the only party there. Dakota and Blaine were great waiters and we loved the drinks and the food by the pool, as well. Aside from the waitstaff, we also found the other guests to be so friendly and it made the pool scene one to remember. Girls and guys having a great time and they played the best music ever! Only thing is be sure to wake up early to get prime seating, even if you've been out late the night before it is worth the waking up! We seriously cannot say enough about our stay at the Shore Club and can't wait to go back. Definitely spend your next girls' weekend there!

Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
shoreclubmanagers, Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2009
Dear ALR34,

Thanks so much for choosing our property for your special festivities. I'm glad to hear that your experience was a positive one, and that you felt everyone's friendliness. We hope to see you again soon.

Thanks,

Darwin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
fl
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

We stayed in a suite that cost $700!! The bed was uncomfortable, the floor was the same floor that is in the shower!! cold and hard! small bathroom counters, Only one bed in the suite! The valet wouldn't even help us with our bags, (4 girls, we had like ten bags)!! $50 for parking and they couldn't help us!! The white chair at the desk had mold on the legs, the entertainment center was chipped all over, no decor, it felt like a jail cell!!!! Should've stayed at the Ritz!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Dear Tomjen1,

Thanks for being our guest and for taking the time to post this review. I'm sorry that your overall experience was not a postive one. We hope to turn around your experience during your next stay with us; I would personally look after your stay to ensure this.

All my best,

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

We loved our experience at The Shore Club. Although very expensive, you get what you pay for. The room was pristine, the service on point and best of all was the scene. This place rocks in the evenings. From Wednesday through Sunday there were events in the hotel.

We did not have to leave the hotel at all. All the entertainment was right there in our little oasis.

I would recommend a room that has ocean views. Ours was fabulous.

The only drawback is all the busboys and service people give you a bad look if you tip them less than 5 dollars. Aside from that, everything was perfect.

• Stayed December 2008
shoreclubmanagers, Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2009
Dear Viajadoramundial,

Thank you so much for being our guest and thank you also for taking the time to post this review. I'm glad to hear that your experience was a positive one. Please feel free to contact me if you need any assitance with reservations at Shore Club, or any other Morgans Hotel Group property.

Milan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

I was coming from abeutiful holiday in Negril in avery nice hotel on the cliffs, nice place nice people, good food and drink, decent bills.
I found in Miami the opposite.
Very small room, almost a garage, all to be paid, including cosmetics in the bathroom.
Dirty and bad smell ambients, not polite waiters and waitresses.
One example 15 dollars for a half glass of white wine including the plastic glass for the wine, orrible.

never again. Andrea

Stayed August 2008
shoreclubmanagers, Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2009
Thanks so much for choosing Shore Club during your last visit to Miami and thank you also for taking the time to post this review. Your authentic feedback is greatly appreciated. Please accept our sincerest apologies for all the challenges you experienced. Please be sure that your challenges and feedback have been shared with the rest of our management team for proper handling. Feel free to contact me directly on the Shore Club main number if you would like to discuss your stay further. We’d love to have the opportunity to wow you during your next visit to Miami.

NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

My husband took me to Miami for my birthday, we stayed in the Shore club because we got a great deal ($150.00 a night). We had a few friends along with us. When we arrived the hotel seemed beautiful the doormen were great!! THX GUYS! We checked in and the front desk were very rude. Once we got to our rooms and looked in the room was very small, the curtains were filthy for this room to be all white. They did upgrade us and that still had no justice. We went down to the pool area after ordering champagne to our room and i took it with us down to the pool thats when all h*** broke loose.They wanted me to leave the area with the champagne not knowing or asking if I purchased the bottle on the property. After i proved that i did then everything seemed to mello out. But they should have asked first before trying to embarrass someone. I will never stay here ever again!!!!

• Liked — doing the upgrade
  • Disliked — front desk and rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
shoreclubmanagers, Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2009
Thanks so much for choosing Shore Club during your last visit to Miami and thank you also for taking the time to post this review. We're glad that you enjoyed the complimmentary upgrade and felt welcomed by our door staff. Please accept our sincerest apologies for all the challenges you experienced. Please be sure that your challenges and feedback have been shared with with the rest of our management team for proper handling. Feel free to contact me directly on the Shore Club main number if you would like to discuss your stay further. We’d love to have the opportunity to wow you during your next visit to Miami.

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

Hello, this is my first review, which was prompted by my dissappointment in what I expected to be an exciting stay at the Shore Club Miami Beach.

I will start with a bit about me. Here is a cut and paste of my mileage on NWA alone, which even impresses me!

"Total Mileage Since Enrollment 1,919,582", which is quite a few miles and hotel stays, in more than 40 countries.

OK, about the Shore Club.

My parents, cousin, and girlfriend (who also wrote a review), were staying at the Ritz Miami Beach over Thanksgiving 2008, which was a fabulous stay.

My girlfriend and I decided to "shake it up" a bit and split our stay, and stay at the Shore Club the last 2 days of our Thanksgiving trip.

We taxied the 2 blocks down to the Shore Club, and were greeted and assisted by the doormen in A+ fashion, we were quite satisfied with them.

On to the front desk to check-in, and the staff were more interested in what they were doing than there were in checking us in, C-.

Once greeted, the front desk staff (1 woman 1 man that helped me) were very helpful, and even went in the back room check on getting us an upgrade, which upon return, the upgrade was available. Very nice, B+.

We decided to roll our 2 pieces of luggage per person ourselves, and quickly found we had to carry it up a flight of stairs, down the hall to an elevator, or up 1 floor on elevator 1, down the hall, and up 3 floors on elevator 2. A bit inconvenient, but we chose to roll the luggage ourselves. No grade.

Up to the 4th floor, down the hall to the end of the hall to our room. This was preferred, as hallway noise tends to be loud late at night when the party'ers come back from the clubs.

Now the problems start!

There was an inch gap under our door, which the light was shining through, as we approached our room, which always makes me nervous, as outsiders can do things with that much space. I already decided to put a towel on the floor against the door to close off the space.

Ok, so I opened the door, and the room first appeared white, modern, and pleasing. I reached for the main light switch, 6 inches from the front door, clicked it, and this BUZZING sound filled the room.

I switched off and on several times, and confirmed the switch was causing the sound, which I decided to keep switched off. It sounded like a buzzing toaster just before it burns the house down.

Totally F-, as I have never thought a light switch would actually cause damage to my hotel room.

I called the front desk, and they were happy to send maintenance up to take a look, and said to wait on that, I would call them back in a bit. I really did not want to wait around the room during the sunny part of the day, while I waited for my room to be fixed. (I really dont like people in my hotel room unscheduled, as I like it to be a private as possible)

I then tried to open the curtains, which wouldn't hardly move, and took some real effort to open. When I looked up at them, they were actually Very dirty, and must have ripped out many times from this situation. There were 30-40 nuts and bolts holding the curtains onto the rail hardware, and they looked and moved horribly.

I am guessing the patio door open, and the shower moisture had condensated onto the curtians over a long period of time, and the AirCon then blowing out air with dust in it had turned the curtians dirty over time. F.

This is not what I expect from a 4-5 star hotel.

After a couple of minutes wrangling with the curtains, I finally got them open part way, and then could see out the window to our Ocean view, and open the sliding glass door to get onto the patio. F, I really was annoyed to work that hard just to get onto the patio.

Whew! Are you getting tired yet?

So...our upgraded Ocean-view room did have a nice, straight on view of the water from the headboard of the bed view and the patio. It was not a full Ocean-view like it sounded at the front desk, but better than nothing. The other bedroom window and patio view was directly at the building next to the Shore Club, so we had to immediately close the curtains so that we could change clothes, etc., see photo.

The bathroom did have a sliding door on it, but I didn't want to hide in the bathroom just to relax or change clothes (see photo). C on the view, as it did sound better from the Front desk.

Speaking of the sliding door for the bathroom, it happened not to slide. Once opened, it got stuck in some rut or something, and I actually had to force it hard to get it to close again (photo). I was getting annoyed at all these things, and we decided to not fully open or close the bathroom door. Grade D...hard to open/close a main door?

Ahh...the Bathroom. The glory of the room! Square footage wise, the bathroom was as big as the main room/bedroom!

But do I need a 5 x 9 bathroom, and a 5 x 5 glassed in shower/tub? It was a spacious room, but ultimately had almost no space to put our toilettery items. As a couple on vacation (1 man & 1 woman), we needed some space to put our things out.

We ended up keeping our things in the toilettery bags, and putting things on the floor. Shower was great, and toilet water worked as expected. Grade of C.

Speaking of the floor, since it was all concrete/tile, it was a little cold and noisy, as we could hear noise from all the other rooms around us, especially high-heels and bathroom/water noises (see photos). I would have expected a rug somewhere, but no rugs. I think there were slippers in the closet, but if there were, I didn't use them and dont really know if they were there for sure.

I get the decor, and get that form over function was key. I was not that impressed, and rate that a C as well.

The closet was small, and we could only hang up a couple of things each, and there was no dresser, except for a small space under the TV. The other half of the space was for the basket of items the Shore Club wanted to sell us, like lotion and gum. As I look at the picture, I see the slippers were there, and maybe they were for purchase, that is why we didn't use them? I dont remember now.

We were dissappointed, but wanted to get on with our holiday, and ran out of the room to go get some sun and go for a walk on the boardwalk. A+ for location, one of the best in Miami Beach.

We came back, cleaned up, and out to dinner, not much time in the room.

We came back from dinner very late, about midnite. We were both very tired and went to bed. Since the Shore Club has a great bar/club by the pool, we got to hear the music until 4am, when I believe they closed for the night. So much for quality windows to keep out the noise. The bed was uncomfortable, and between the bed and the noise, it wasn't a good night.
D+ on sleeping quality.

Next morning we then went to breakfast, which was adequate, but not as good as the breakfast we had the prior 2 days at the other hotel.

It was interesting, talking to the waiter, he wouldn't recommend the Shore Club, and he said many of the other workers find the food and the rooms a joke, and the quality low, he was thinking about quitting his job to go to another hotel.

So now I was severely dissapointed with my stay, and called the Manager at the Ritz where we had come from the prior day. He said he would be "Happy to have us back", and he would give us a "Really Great Room" for switching back.

With that confirmed, I went down to the front desk and politely explained how I felt, and said I would like to check out early. I asked if there would be a penalty, and if we could still use the promotional massage we were promised. She went to check, and there would be no penalty for early check-out, and yes we could still use the free massage appointment.

I asked the woman if the rooms were to be renovated in the future, and she said yes. Sometime after New Year's many rooms were to be renovated.

That must have been the problem, we were in a room to be renovated, and it was literally on its last days or weeks.

A+ on early check-out, but is that what I really wanted?

OK, taxi back to the Ritz, where the Manager gave us a 1,000+ sq/foot suite with a pool/ocean view room, that we could have had a party of 60 people in. Twin vanity in the master bath, 2 bathrooms in the room, Palacial! The price per night was less than we paid for smaller rooms the 2 nights before. Enough said.

On the night we checked-out of the Shore Club, we went back to have dinner at Nobu (Japanese Food), one of our favorite restaraunts. We had a fantastic dinner, and were supremely satisfied. A++. Of course the Shore Club and Nobu are under different Owners and Management.

After dinner, we decided to go out to the pool bar/club that we heard the night before. We walked through, cool vibe, nice music, good ambiance. We sat on a chair for a few minutes where I took some photos of the lanterns and lighting. We then decided to walk back to our hotel as we had enough to drink.

We stopped and talked with the DJ, where I took a photo of the poool, and then took a photo of the back pool, the lighting was nice, I liked it.

Just as I was getting up to walk out the back door of the property, where my girlfriend was talking to the security guard as she was waiting for me, a different security guard came to kick me out.

I was shocked. She nearly screamed at me, "No Professional Cameras Allowed in The Shore Club!" "You Have to Go!" She got on the walkie-talkie and started describing me..."Short-hair, blue shirt, black pants....don't let him back in!"

First of all, in the pitch black, she comes out of no-where, and tells me I have a professional camera, which I couldn't even see when I was holding it. Then she wanted to just kick me out.

I said I was staying in the hotel, and she wanted to see my key card. I had left it in my wallet, as I hadn't taken it out from that morning. I asked her, "If I show you my key card, then what?" She said I would still have to leave the club, but she would let me go back in from the pool, instead of making me walk around the block to go back in from the front side. I told her to forget it, we would just leave through the back.

I was appauled that any Shore Club employee would approach any guest that way. No starting with "Excuse Me", or explaining the rules. She just said "You are Kicked Out!" She didn't even ask if we were hotel guests. See photos that I took at the pool.

F- minus, on this interaction.

All in all, we did the right thing to check out of the hotel. I have never had a room in that poor of condition at that price, and never been treated that poorly by any hotel staff, anywhere in the world.

I have never had that many bad coincedences in a row at any property, and would not go back.

• Liked — Near the beach, famous restaraunt.
  • Disliked — Room quality, service, terrible treatment by staff.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

This is a first for me....My very first "Terrible" rating on TripAdvisor!
(I'm actually very sad about this stay and the fact that I have to write this review as I was excited to stay in this hotel.)

Let me start by saying I'm a very easy traveler - and I travel a lot. I'm not a big complainer and when I do, I do it nicely. (Too many years of working in the service industry to know that making a scene and being difficult does not get you anywhere!)

I don't have to stay at the best places, but when I do, I do expect a quality product. Quality to me does not have to mean super luxurious, but it does mean CLEAN and the ability to see "you get what you pay for."

First impressions...

Valet guys were awesome. Super chatty and friendly and very helpful with giving out tips of where to shop or eat. Grade: A

Check in - friendly enough - front desk person made us wait a little bit before acknowledging us. Once we got help we were in our room in about 5 minutes. Grade: B

Hotel - hip, minimalist lobby. Lush and tropical outdoor spaces. Doesn't feel like you're in the middle of the city. Grade: B+

Our room.....

We had quite a bit of luggage and it was a little goofy to have to go to one elevator (or up stairs) and then walk to another elevator.

Our room (4th floor) was at the end of the hall and to the right from the elevator - and we were glad to not be right across from the elevator as it's usually noisy.

We got a partial ocean view, though you had to go out on your balcony and basically look around the corner to see the water - so it was a bit of a disappointment.

The room itself was small - quite small actually. My boyfriend and I kept running into each other - literally. The crazy thing is that the bathroom is huge. Not sure why they didn't add more room to the living space and cut down on some of the unused space in the bath.

As much as I love contemporary/modern furniture, this was ridiculous. The furniture reminded me of something out of IKEA, or maybe a dorm in the 60's. The desk was tiny (I'll attach a pic) - so small that if you wanted to set up a laptop you'd have to take everything off it.

The bed is just a mattress on a platform with a headboard (and a dirty one at that.)

The bedside tables are small, but at least there are some.

There is a dresser at the end of the bed (TV sits on top) and there is some storage - which you desperately need because the closet is miniscule (I'll attach a pic, but it's fuzzy, sorry.) We literally picked only a couple things that we hung up just because there wasn't nearly enough room for all of our stuff.

The closet also housed an ironing board and iron, along with the safe and a mini-fridge. Our fridge was luke warm at its coldest, made some buzzing noise and had wires coming out one side.

The best feature of the room - and most updated, was the bath. It was huge with nice tiles and a separate shower/tub area from the sink and toilet.

One other thing to mention is that our curtains were a mess - they were full of holes and dirt and all sorts of stains - and they didn't close all the way.

Because the floors are cement we heard every movement the people above us made and we heard everything the people in the rooms next to us said as it echoed down the hall. Room Grade: F

The Spa...

The spa is located in the tower closest to the restaurants on the top floor. Beautiful views and I had a very nice aromatherapy massage. A bit spendy, but it was good and the staff was nice.
Grade: B

The Pool....

Lovely, but seating is limited and there seems to be a lot of chairs that are "reserved" yet no one shows up. That was disappointing. Grade: C

The Restaurants....

Nobu and Ago...it doesn't get much better than that! We have eaten at Nobu several times and as usual, had a great meal (but expensive!!) Our waitress was knowledgeable and helpful and we had a nice time. Grade: A-

After hours.....

Lots of beautiful people lounging on outdoor beds. DJ by the pool playing great music. Mostly it was a cool vibe but it got a little x-rated on a few of those beds. Ew. Grade: C+

Misc (and most disturbing)....

So here we are, staying at the hotel, eating at the restaurants (though they are not affiliated we were told) and we wandered out to the pool to go on the boardwalk. My boyfriend loves to take photos and he has a nice camera. We took pictures in Nobu, of the lounge, lobby, basically all over the hotel and so he was taking pictures out by the pool of the plants, the water, etc....but not of the people around it (except us of course.)

I was chatting up the security guard waiting for him and some woman came over to him and told him (actually was yelling at him) professional cameras were not allowed on the hotel property and photos were not allowed by the pool and it went on and on.....he told her he had been walking around with his camera in his hand all night an no one had told him that - and if that was the case he was sorry and he would stop taking photos. She was SUPER rude to him and demanded he give her his camera - that she wanted him to delete the photos he took, which of course, he refused. She was on her walkie calling for "backup" security and the whole deal. The guard I was talking to was like "Man, I'm so sorry this is happening to you." It was obvious to him that my boyfriend wasn't doing anything wrong b/c he didn't stop him. Anyway, I was absolutely appalled.

Never in my life have I (or my boyfriend) been treated so poorly by hotel staff. They could have handled that completely different and been nice about it - they could have explained the rules and nicely asked to see the photos he took - which as I mentioned - there were no photographs of people!! That was just unprofessional and all sorts of wrong. Grade: F-

On a side note.....It was interesting to talk to some of the staff there. Anyone we met that did NOT work at the front desk said they would never pay to stay there. They said there are so many nice hotels that are less expensive!! We were also told they are going to remodel the rooms after this season and so that's even more reason to not stay there, because they are just leaving everything as-is until they start the remodel.

As you can guess, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, let alone my best friend. If you are going to SoBe and you want to stay at a beautiful, hip hotel where the rooms are comfortable, the furniture is quality and the staff is professional....stay at the Delano. Do go to Nobu and Ago and enjoy the great food, but then get the heck out of there!

Hopefully management will take these negative reviews seriously and make some positive changes to this property.

• Liked — Spa was nice and Nobu is located in the hotel.
  • Disliked — Don't get me started......
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Shore Club South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!