“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
Glasgow
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2008

I was very apprehensive about going to The Shore Club after so many bad reviews but was pleasantly surprised although, from the hotel photos, not what I expected. The staff were very friendly and helpful on arrival and during our stay. The room, although very minimal in design, was nice,was a good size and had a great wet room shower. Unfortunately the hotel is very noisy as the concrete design of the rooms and corridors do not offer any sound proofing (the corridors are a bit like a sanitarium in design). Although this didn't affect me greatly, my mum was not best pleased. The hotel was ridiculously expensive, but I suppose it was South Beach. The price of water in your room and lack of tea/coffee making facilities, for the price of hotel, was very poor standard.
We paid $250 per night which was a good price considering the normal room rate. I definitely wouldn't pay more. The pool was nice but the sardine like layout of sunbeds could be improved. The cocktail waiters and pool staff were very helpful and attentive. We made use of the Spa facilities which, although extremely expensive, were great and the staff lovely.
We stayed during the week which I think was a factor in our good stay. The weekend would definitely be more of a party scene, which if you're looking for that would be great. We spoke to a couple, who had stayed the previous Saturday night, who were not impressed with the hotel at all considering how expensive the hotel was. Too much money for too little.
We had continental breakfast included which consisted of a bread basket or fruit plate. Not much again for the money.
Overall good stay but would pick another hotel next visit.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor value for money
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

I had great expecations about this hotel, not only by the reviews I saw but also because it advertised to be a "green" hotel in Miami. Well, green, probably if they refer to the colour of the trees! Nothing on their practices was green or sustainable - suggestion: provide a training to the hotel staff and management team about sustainable development. We paid $300 for a standard room on 2nd floor; the corridors are very noisy (a notice to the architects: nice materials but not adequate for a huge corridor were no noise absorption exists...another training: acustics). Once arrived to the room, there was not even a cookie or a bottle of water free! everything had to be paid...we failed to see that and we paid $14 for a 750ml bottle of water...all 4 and 5 star hotels where I normally stay in europe have always some nice "welcome souvenir" for the guests (another training: customer care...). On the top of that, one towel of the bathroom had a huge hole and anytime we took a shower the water would flow over and provide us a pool in the bathroom...

• Liked — Room decoration
  • Disliked — Lack of all the other services for an hotel at this price; If I had paid $40 I would not complain
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

Shore Club is well placed, has an excellent pool & beach and the restaurants and bars were good (though we didn't eat in the hotel much). However it is let down by its rooms which are small and basic - not good value for the price they charge IMO.
Also no hot drink making facilities in the room - almost unheard of in this day and age.

• Liked — Pool and beach
  • Disliked — Room
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Long Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

I will admit, I was afraid to check into the Shore Club after reading the reviews here however I was more than surpised when we arrived. The bellhops were quick and courteous, the front desk was more than hospitable and accomodating, and our first room was super clean. When my boyfriend and I asked if there were any options to upgrade our room, the front desk was able to get us a larger ocean view room with a balcony which was also extremely clean, and we were able to change rooms in a matter of minutes. The pool scene was great. Cocktail waitresses were quick and extremely friendly. The food at Ago was amazing , the Skybar was super fun, and overall my boyfriend and I had an amazing time. I will suggest however, if you are over 35 and want super quiet relaxation, stay at the Delano. The Shore Club is mean to be a fun pool party hotel for younger guests. We have stayed at both and when we want to go to Miami to party and play we will definitely stay at the Shore Club. When we want peace and quiet we will stay at the Delano. I want to thank everyone at the Shore Club for making our long weekend amazing!

• Liked — pool scene, restaurants, atmosphere, beach
  • Disliked — lounge chairs at pool fill up quickly
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

I try to frequent South Beach as often as I can, usually staying with friends who live in the area. I came with two friends this trip and decided to book a room at The Shore Club.
I was a little worried because I read some of the reviews. The staff was very efficient and our room was clean, and the bathroom was bigger than i expected. The doormen were pretty hysterical and a great sport when two of us walked in early morning still in our stilettos etc.! The security at the pool is great. If it weren't there you'd be out of luck to find a place to lounge! And if you forget to pack enough sexy dresses or a pair of earrings there is a great little store downstairs for you to grab it and go! The location is great to, walking distance from mynt and set, two really cute hot spots.

I'm planning a trip with my three best girlfriends before I get married and I'm going to consider staying here again!
Hopefully it will be another good experience, it'll save me time from hotel searching every time I run away to SoBe.

• Liked — Pool, Location, Crowd, Nobu ♥
  • Disliked — small closets!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

Maintenance of the hotel needs to be attended to. Hotel is very run down - both the rooms and public areas.
Rooms have papethin walls/doors making them very noisy and look nothing like the photos on the hotel website!
Bar not very friendly/inviting. Will not be staying here again.
Very overpriced for quality/condition of hotel - not the "party-hotel"
I was hoping for.
Don't forget to add in $42 per night for valet parking!

• Liked — Check out!
  • Disliked — Quality of rooms and public areas
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
washington dc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

We had a terrible stay here:

1) After paying $300/night, we could not get a seat at the pool. The pool staff put our names on a 'wait list' and told us they would call us as soon as seats where available. They never called.
2) We went to the beach instead, and were told we had to pay to use the lounge chairs. Which is really quite ridiculous, we had to pay to use their chairs at our own hotel?!?!
3) The rooms are small with cheap furnishings. One expects more for the premium price.
4) There were errors on our bill when checking out which took 20 minutes to fix

We are both 31 and wanted to stay at a place with a good scene, which is why we picked Shore Club. I'd heard the pool scene is really fun, unfortunately we never got to experience it! I expected a lot more for what we paid. I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it to friends.

I find it interesting that the manager responds to a lot of posts on TripAdvisor but never offers to address customer service issues beyond an online apology. If the hotel really cares about customer service, they should put some skin in the game.

Stayed September 2008

Been to Shore Club South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!