“DO NOT GO” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
washington dc
“DO NOT GO”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

We had a terrible stay here:

1) After paying $300/night, we could not get a seat at the pool. The pool staff put our names on a 'wait list' and told us they would call us as soon as seats where available. They never called.
2) We went to the beach instead, and were told we had to pay to use the lounge chairs. Which is really quite ridiculous, we had to pay to use their chairs at our own hotel?!?!
3) The rooms are small with cheap furnishings. One expects more for the premium price.
4) There were errors on our bill when checking out which took 20 minutes to fix

We are both 31 and wanted to stay at a place with a good scene, which is why we picked Shore Club. I'd heard the pool scene is really fun, unfortunately we never got to experience it! I expected a lot more for what we paid. I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it to friends.

I find it interesting that the manager responds to a lot of posts on TripAdvisor but never offers to address customer service issues beyond an online apology. If the hotel really cares about customer service, they should put some skin in the game.

Stayed September 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Hoboken, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2008

Overall, the Shore Club was not what we expected. Luckily, we got a lot rate for the hotel, under $300 a night. I wouldn't recommend paying a dime more because it really isn't worth it. I went with a group of friends/couples are we are all in our early 30's and have lived in Miami and even for us it was too much of a "scene" and not relaxing at all. See below.

1. It was extremely noisy from both furniture moving in the room above us to the constant in and out of people on the elevator outside of my room (690)
2. Room service woke us up the last day we were there but we didn't order room service and I told them that through the door and they kept knocking so I had to open the door to tell them
3. There were 2 open seats at the pool that were clearly not used at all and the pool staff told me & my husband that we couldn't sit there because they were "holding them" for someone. I had friends also staying at the hotel in two other rooms, who had been at the pool all morning and they said no one had even come to the 2 seats in question all morning prior to my arrival. I had to argue with the staff and eventually told them I was taking the seat and they were very rude to me. Of course, no one ever showed up for the seats they were "holding" for someone. Ridiculous. Also, when we tried to order drinks at the pool, it was really had to track down a server. In order to close out at the end of the day, I had to go to the bar myself because we couldnt even find a pool server.
4. The waitress we had at Ago was not very helpful (borderline rude) to our group even though we were purchasing several drinks, but she was extremely friendly to a man she knew by name who was sitting by himself behind our table.
5. We got lost on the way to finding our room after we checked in. We stopped and asked an employee for help and he sent us to the wrong building. Eventually we found it on our own. By the way, several people told me they had this same experience.
6. Our elevator is in a building with the club in it. I think is is extremely unsafe that there is no security guard posted by the elevator at night or there isn't a key system for the elevator. I had friends walk me to the elevator Friday night because I was afraid someone might follow me up to the room. They have a lot of staff monitoring the pool--you need to show your room key to get in--but not a lot of security for hotel guests and not a lot of employees accessible when you need help.
7. the bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable. Also, seemed strange that there is no top sheet, only a duvet.
Overall, I was completely not satisfied with the unattentive staff and rude staff. There was one person who was an exception and it was the bellhop who brought us to the room. It was a young man, who was very knowledgeable about the property.

• Liked — On the beach
  • Disliked — Rude staff and hard to find a seat at the pool. Too much of a scene
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

I admit - I was somewhat worried about booking at this hotel after reading the reviews here. But I found the bad reviews of this hotel completely unfounded. I stayed at The Shore Club with an old college buddy as part of a guys getaway weekend. Check in was easy and fast, and the hotel receptionist was very nice. We made up to the room and it was very clean. There is not much space to put your clothes up, but I only went for 3 days so I kept my clothes in my suitcase. There was some closet space to hang collared shirts and jeans/pants. The room came with a flat screen TV (about 28-30 inches) and had 2 queen double beds. The best part of the rooms were the beds, they were VERY comfortable! The room was supposed to come with a radio/CD player and when we got to the room there was no radio. I called down to the front desk and requested a radio/CD player, and it arrived in about 15 minutes.

The bathroom was very roomy and the shower/tub area was awesome. The shower was huge and you could fit about 4 people in there if you so wanted. The room was very quiet at night. I read many reviews about how noisy the hotel was at night. Of course we were out until 4 am anyways so by then the hotel seemed to be pretty calm by this time.

The best part about this hotel was the Nobu/Skybar/Pool area. The pool was awesome, with beautiful women everywhere. I also liked the fact that you had to have your hotel issued card with you to be bale to get in the pool area. This keeps people who are not guests from entering the pool area. The Skybar was cool - but be forewarned - drinks are very expensive. But you can always buy liquor at the liquor store down the street and make your drinks in the room and take them down to Skybar. I read many reviews by people complaining about the prices of drinks/food. Don't forget it's Southbeach, and remember there are always ways to save money if you are smart enough. We had a couple of drinks at Nobu and we were blown away by the number of beautiful women in this establishment. It was amazing.

Bottom line if you are young, single, or married on guys/girls getaway, this hotel is a great choice. I can't say for sure I would stay here again, but I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Can't pick one thing - I liked it all
  • Disliked — Had to pay to use internet in business center
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

This place is the proverbial king's suit of clothes for hotels. The rooms are spartan and minimalist: a cross between a sanitarium and a college dorm. No carpeting. The only color comes from the (cheap) lampshades. The desk and chair are what you would buy for your pre-schooler so that she could color.
Maybe I'm too old (40's) to appreciate what Morgans Hotel Group is trying to achieve with hipness, but this hotel is definitely not worth the price.

• Liked — Public space
  • Disliked — Spartan guest rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
VanesssNYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

We stayed at the Shore Club since we found great rates online and was at one point a fabulous hotel to stay at. Boy were we wrong! What was once a gorgeous fun hot spot is now a dingy, grimey run down hotel. The room was dirty (empty water bottles, rusty nail on the floor, dust balls all over) and TV, phone and internet connection didn't work. We had to make several service calls to have it repaired. Pool is a scene on the weekends, which can be fun. But if you're not interested in a pool party, head to the beach which is quieter, cleaner and better food/beverage service. The pool was crowded, difficult to get chairs and very buggy (especially after the rain). The cushions and lounge chairs are soooo dirty (since the pool is also a hot spot at night- Sky Bar) and actually kind of scary looking duing the day (at night the pool area looks gorgeous). But then again, everything looks better at night. After years of partying up in this hotel, you can see it finally took it's toll.

Nobu was fabulous! The food was amazing, get there early since they do not take reservations.

Hotel breakfast is gross and their morning buffet is cold. The food was also covered in flies but the waiters and staff did not seem to care.

Front desk didn't offer to comp anything or apologize for any of the issues we experienced during our stay. They just don't seem to care about their service and reputation.

Bottom line, if you're a large group looking for a decent party hotel, this is your place. Otherwise, look elsewhere for cleaner, elegant, posh-like hotels (next door is a much better Setai!).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

We booked the Shore Club in Miami beach after hearing that its a great hotel and all kinds of great stuff. So we booked a bungalow for $1,000 per night.
The disaster came right away when we arrived in the hotel.
The room smelled bad, the shower was not working, phones were not working, renting movies on demand was not working...

The worse part comes when we returned on our first day back to our bungalow by finding out dirty linen lying on the floor of the outside area... We checked out right away after talking to the manager who seemed he did not really care...

NEVER GO THERE!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ShoreClubAdmin, Guest Services Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2008
Fridacaine, I apologize that your stay at The Shore Club did not meet your standards of excellence. We were disappointed to here about your experience and have addressed the challenges you experienced. We absolutely do care about all of our guest’s experiences and we truly apologize if we gave the impression otherwise. Customer feedback is the only way we can know about and rectify situations and or inconveniences. We understand that first impressions can be lasting; but hope that we someday have the opportunity to provide you with the level of service you deserve and that The Shore Club is known for.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

We were very nervous about staying at the Shore Club because of the terrible reviews were had read on trip advisor. However, when we arrived we were very pleasantly suprised!

Yes, it's very expensive, yes, the pool is like something out of a hip hop video, yes the rooms could be better and yes it's noisy....but people that stay at the shore club come to party and if you don't want to do that 24-7 then stay at the ritz and pop down to the shore club for a drink instead.

we had a hiliarious time down by the pool playing fake or real and people watching. we also went to nobu for dinner which was fab and our waitress(jeanette!!) provided some great recommendations We would recommend the shore club to party but it's certainly not the sort of place I would take my mum for a relaxing weekend away.

• Liked — the pool scene and dinner at nobu
  • Disliked — it was really loud so we were woken up when the party crowd finally got home
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Duncs88, thank you for taking time out to write a review of your time at the Shore Club. It’s true you never know who you might find lounging next to you at our pool! Glad you enjoyed! Believe it or not sometimes “Mums” have more fun here than their kids! Please feel free to contact me with any concerns next time you visit us in Miami. We look forward to having you back.

Been to Shore Club South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!