This property is pleasant, but there are several qualities about it that have made my stay there a disappointment--well, "stays" really: in November/the off-season, the hotel is quieter and the experience nicer. So, this is a hotel where the atmosphere changes with the seasons. The first time I stayed here it was a tropical drizzle of low-key enjoyment. That was in the late fall/early winter. The next time, it was the middle of summer and the experience made me never want to go back. Here's why--and they both deal with atmosphere:
1) The noise/scene: If you are looking for clubbing at your hotel, then this is a good choice, I suppose, as they do have a club there. However, if you want to club elsewhere and then retreat to your hotel OR you are not interested in clubbing, this set-up is a big problem: It means that after 10 p.m., the nature of the hotel morphs into, well, a club (it is "The Shore CLUB," to be fair). It further means that if you want a drink outside in the latter half of the evening, you have to fight clusters of clubbers to get it. Finally, it means that if you want or need to turn in before 2 a.m., it's going to be a challenge because of the incredibly loud bass tones produced by the club. In short, if you want that kind of thing, it's fine, but if you're not interested, it is a bother and restricts access to the outdoor bar and even your balcony!
2) The alcoholic beverage situation is completely unreasonable. I like to have silly cocktails in these situations, but a pina colada was over $20! That's not the worst, though. The drinks are expensive and they must be watered down. I'm not an epic drinker, but I could have probably had cocktail after cocktail and not worked up a healthy buzz.
3) There's a great outdoor setting with a garden and pool and these diaphonous fabric open tents. It's very romantic, but if you take a look at the pillows in the light of day they are...dirty. It makes me think of who thought it was "romantic" before me and what they did about it.
4) The beach-ware is ridiculous to rent. I'm used to paying for equipment at a certain level, but usually, when a hotel purports to be what this one does, the beach accessories are free (included in the reckoning of the room, I'm sure, but they save you the embarassment of money changing hands to rent equipment!).
5) The staff runs hot and cold, relatively capable and completely useless. Sometimes, there's a polite, able individual on hand. The rest of the time...goodness! I lost a key card and needed a new one AND wanted to change the credit card on the room. Apparently that was impossible, a Herculean task. Enough said.
Of course, there were less negative aspects to this hotel: the rooms are beach-friendly granite/stone with lovely bath tubs, the beach outside is nice if you fancy Miami beaches (I'm a Pacific Ocean native so...), the decor can be considered attractive. The restaurants were once hip, now boring, but still solid. In short, it is not a disaster, but unless you have a specific agenda that ivolves clubbing at your hotel and then collapsing there, I would look elsewhere.
If you don't want to be disrupted by very loud music, ask the staff for a room as far away from...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for your honest feedback, we are so sorry you did not have an amazing time with us. Shore Club is known for being a lively hotel and many of our guests come here to experience the atmosphere and nightlife that the hotel has to offer. We apologize you were disturbed by the noise and we do offer our guests the option of staying in a quieter part of the hotel. We also recently completed a full replacement of our windows and they are now sound proof. Next time you check in, please contact me directly and I will be happy to make sure you are in a high floor on the quiet part of the hotel. I am sorry you did not enjoy our atmosphere of the garden area and I can assure you that our drinks are competitively priced with other hotels in South Beach. It is standard on Miami Beach to charge a fee for certain beach services. I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future, please contact me directly email@example.com
Dorothy Jean "DJ"
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.