“Okay, If you want to be ripped off for drinks and sleep at a club” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shore Club South Beach Hotel

Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #41 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York
“Okay, If you want to be ripped off for drinks and sleep at a club”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This property is pleasant, but there are several qualities about it that have made my stay there a disappointment--well, "stays" really: in November/the off-season, the hotel is quieter and the experience nicer. So, this is a hotel where the atmosphere changes with the seasons. The first time I stayed here it was a tropical drizzle of low-key enjoyment. That was in the late fall/early winter. The next time, it was the middle of summer and the experience made me never want to go back. Here's why--and they both deal with atmosphere:

1) The noise/scene: If you are looking for clubbing at your hotel, then this is a good choice, I suppose, as they do have a club there. However, if you want to club elsewhere and then retreat to your hotel OR you are not interested in clubbing, this set-up is a big problem: It means that after 10 p.m., the nature of the hotel morphs into, well, a club (it is "The Shore CLUB," to be fair). It further means that if you want a drink outside in the latter half of the evening, you have to fight clusters of clubbers to get it. Finally, it means that if you want or need to turn in before 2 a.m., it's going to be a challenge because of the incredibly loud bass tones produced by the club. In short, if you want that kind of thing, it's fine, but if you're not interested, it is a bother and restricts access to the outdoor bar and even your balcony!

2) The alcoholic beverage situation is completely unreasonable. I like to have silly cocktails in these situations, but a pina colada was over $20! That's not the worst, though. The drinks are expensive and they must be watered down. I'm not an epic drinker, but I could have probably had cocktail after cocktail and not worked up a healthy buzz.

3) There's a great outdoor setting with a garden and pool and these diaphonous fabric open tents. It's very romantic, but if you take a look at the pillows in the light of day they are...dirty. It makes me think of who thought it was "romantic" before me and what they did about it.

4) The beach-ware is ridiculous to rent. I'm used to paying for equipment at a certain level, but usually, when a hotel purports to be what this one does, the beach accessories are free (included in the reckoning of the room, I'm sure, but they save you the embarassment of money changing hands to rent equipment!).

5) The staff runs hot and cold, relatively capable and completely useless. Sometimes, there's a polite, able individual on hand. The rest of the time...goodness! I lost a key card and needed a new one AND wanted to change the credit card on the room. Apparently that was impossible, a Herculean task. Enough said.

Of course, there were less negative aspects to this hotel: the rooms are beach-friendly granite/stone with lovely bath tubs, the beach outside is nice if you fancy Miami beaches (I'm a Pacific Ocean native so...), the decor can be considered attractive. The restaurants were once hip, now boring, but still solid. In short, it is not a disaster, but unless you have a specific agenda that ivolves clubbing at your hotel and then collapsing there, I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you don't want to be disrupted by very loud music, ask the staff for a room as far away from...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dorothy Jean H, Shore Club Genie at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear "LifeofThings,"

Thank you for your honest feedback, we are so sorry you did not have an amazing time with us. Shore Club is known for being a lively hotel and many of our guests come here to experience the atmosphere and nightlife that the hotel has to offer. We apologize you were disturbed by the noise and we do offer our guests the option of staying in a quieter part of the hotel. We also recently completed a full replacement of our windows and they are now sound proof. Next time you check in, please contact me directly and I will be happy to make sure you are in a high floor on the quiet part of the hotel. I am sorry you did not enjoy our atmosphere of the garden area and I can assure you that our drinks are competitively priced with other hotels in South Beach. It is standard on Miami Beach to charge a fee for certain beach services. I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future, please contact me directly dj.hicks@mhgc.com

Dorothy Jean "DJ"

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Miami, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

That is a ridiculous hotel I was approached by a hostess to enter the hotel to the pool bar as they are doing this time of year since tourism is weak.
By going along to the bar with my 2 female friends we ordered 3 glass of wine valued at $ 13 each witch, in the check came 16$ for each glass excluding tips and taxes!
I asked the waiter ( Called ANTONIO) and he was super thick and rude to us, saying that it was the price and started shouting while me and my friends was in shock. This is illegal overpaying and not give a single explanation, and tried to intimidate us.
Good luck on your Business continue treating costumers like that!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dearest "Renata S,"

Thank you for visiting our wonderful Skybar. We receive so many great comments about our bars so it always disappointing when we have let ourselves down. We are so sorry you did not have a wonderful experience at Skybar. I have personally looked into your feedback... We do not have anyone by the name of Antonio that works in that department and we can assure you that none of our staff would be intentionally rude or disrespectful to our guests. I have also double checked our drink prices and the prices on your check do correspond to the prices on our drink menu.

Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Good location but found a cockroach in the room early in evening. Killed cockroach and left in bathroom as proof before informing front desk on our way out for drinks. They seemed pretty embarrassed so assumed they would take care of it. However, returned a few hours later to find the cockroach in the same place. Complained again for some guy to eventually come up with a brush to take it away. Not what I'd expect from a hotel charging $417 per night. Stayed in 2 other hotels in south beach this week which were considerably better and cleaner.

• Stayed January 2013
Dearest "Murrayd,"

We sincerely apologize that your experience at Shore Club was less than perfect. Since your comment on Trip Advisor, we have placed your room out of sale and carried on a full inspection by a professional contractor. The room was found free and clear of any cockroaches.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The service at this hotel is amazing. With the rooms, I have no clue what they are trying to go for. The pool area and the nightlife is really good. The beach in front of the hotel is great. The restaurants are not anything to write home about and are starting to get dated. Overall, a fun hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dorothy Jean H, Shore Club Genie at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dearest "Rabs22,"

We appreciate your honest feedback. I am so happy you had an amazing time but I am upset that you did not like the style of our rooms. Our white on white concept with pops of color in the rooms are not for everyone. We get tons of compliments on its uniqueness so I'm sorry you did not like it and felt that we are starting to look dated.

Nixa, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I'm mixed on this one. This is a cool hotel in a great spot. The design is very unique and trendy but couldn't get past the cost versus the quality. Don't get me wrong, the rooms weren't bad by any means, they just didn't seem worth the $350 a night that I paid. This could be typical of the South Beach market because $300+ will typically get you top notch in other cities.

The service was good, the concierge upgraded our room without asking upon check in. We got a room on the 6th floor and had balcony with a nice view of the beach and the outdoor bar below. The room was nice, just not awesome. It's like they ALMOST nailed it. The room looked like an old hotel room that had been updated but the attention to detail wasn't great. The bed was nice & comfy and they had a great little noise machine on the night stand that we used every night. The bathroom was roomy and the shower/bath combo was unique and the showers were relaxing with the oversized head.

The bars on property were great and the pool was a fun place to hang out, listen to the DJ, and people watch. I've heard Sundays are the best days there. The bars and restaurants were great but the prices were sky-high. This seemed to be typical for South Beach, just a bit of sticker shock for a guy from the sticks in southern Missouri. : )

We hit Nobu and had a great dinner. I had read a few mixed reviews but we all liked it a lot. Also had breakfast & had a good meal there too.

Highs
Great location. Walking distance to a lot of places.
Good pool and beach access.
Good beds
Outdoor bar at night. Great ambiance

Lows
Wife said storage for clothing was minimal. Dressed out of suitcases.
Very high prices
No attention to detail. (Paint on receptacles, rust on drains, small stains on bed comforter.

Room Tip: Would opt for something on the higher floors. The music from the outdoor bar can be a little loud.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dorothy Jean H, Shore Club Genie at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dearest "Springpatch,"

Thank you so much for your honest review! We are glad you enjoyed our location, pool, bed, and restaurants! I am sorry you felt like we "almost nailed it" though.... but wasn't that lovely of us to give you a surprise upgrade upon check in? We do provide extra clothing racks for storage if requested. The prices at our bars and hotel are fairly competitive to all other prices with the hotels in South Beach! Hope you come back again soon and enjoy the many things you rated as highs!

Rio de Janeiro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Trendy Hotel in South Beach.Very nice comum areas : pool, gardens, restaurants.The de luxe room is too small for two, it is all designed for one : one chair , one table, tiny closet, not comfortable.My advise : book another category of room if you are two, because this de luxe is too thight for a couple.

Room Tip: Book another type of room if you are two.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dearest "111Sandra,"

Thank you for your review! Our deluxe rooms are a little bit bigger than our standard rooms but if you are looking for more space, our jr. suite lofts are perfect! They have more room and bigger than a deluxe room. Also we do have suits available that provide a bedroom area with a separate living area. Next time you come, please let us know which category room you would prefer.

Genie Wishes,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have been coming to the Shore Club for over 8 years now, and I still love it. Yes, bigger name brand hotels have been built right around the corner (W, Gansvoort) with all the new bells and whistles, but these gigantic McMansion style hotels lack the charming ambience and quality of the Shore Club. This hotel transformed South Beach, along with the Delano, two old school boutique hotels in this area. I recommend the Shore Club if you prefer a hospitable staff that actually remembers your name. The pool scene is the tale of two cities--if you want the party vibe, stay in the front pool, while if you prefer a quiet or even family friendly vibe scene, go to the back pool. This hotel somehow manages to be a trendy place while being family friendly as well. The location of this hotel is also a major plus, in the center of it all close to everything. Also, the pool staff are great at keeping the drinks flowing, and also being quite friendly and attentive. Shore Club for me still stands the test of time. Love it, Sal B

Room Tip: stay in the rooms/tower that have the elevator access past the scoop store. This is the main tower
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dorothy Jean H, Shore Club Genie at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dearest "Sal B,"

Oh my goodness.... this is the most amazing review about Shore Club! Well you have always been one of our favorites! I feel the same exact way you do about this hotel. Before I started working here, I came to Shore Club on vacation every year for about 8 years and it does truly stand the test of time! You can't beat our charming ambience and quality. Thank you for being so loyal to us and we are truly grateful to have you as a guest each time.... We love you! See you soon dear.

Much love from your Shore Club family,
Dorothy Jean "DJ"

Been to Shore Club South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!