This property is pleasant, but there are several qualities about it that have made my stay there a disappointment--well, "stays" really: in November/the off-season, the hotel is quieter and the experience nicer. So, this is a hotel where the atmosphere changes with the seasons. The first time I stayed here it was a tropical drizzle of low-key enjoyment. That was in the late fall/early winter. The next time, it was the middle of summer and the experience made me never want to go back. Here's why--and they both deal with atmosphere:
1) The noise/scene: If you are looking for clubbing at your hotel, then this is a good choice, I suppose, as they do have a club there. However, if you want to club elsewhere and then retreat to your hotel OR you are not interested in clubbing, this set-up is a big problem: It means that after 10 p.m., the nature of the hotel morphs into, well, a club (it is "The Shore CLUB," to be fair). It further means that if you want a drink outside in the latter half of the evening, you have to fight clusters of clubbers to get it. Finally, it means that if you want or need to turn in before 2 a.m., it's going to be a challenge because of the incredibly loud bass tones produced by the club. In short, if you want that kind of thing, it's fine, but if you're not interested, it is a bother and restricts access to the outdoor bar and even your balcony!
2) The alcoholic beverage situation is completely unreasonable. I like to have silly cocktails in these situations, but a pina colada was over $20! That's not the worst, though. The drinks are expensive and they must be watered down. I'm not an epic drinker, but I could have probably had cocktail after cocktail and not worked up a healthy buzz.
3) There's a great outdoor setting with a garden and pool and these diaphonous fabric open tents. It's very romantic, but if you take a look at the pillows in the light of day they are...dirty. It makes me think of who thought it was "romantic" before me and what they did about it.
4) The beach-ware is ridiculous to rent. I'm used to paying for equipment at a certain level, but usually, when a hotel purports to be what this one does, the beach accessories are free (included in the reckoning of the room, I'm sure, but they save you the embarassment of money changing hands to rent equipment!).
5) The staff runs hot and cold, relatively capable and completely useless. Sometimes, there's a polite, able individual on hand. The rest of the time...goodness! I lost a key card and needed a new one AND wanted to change the credit card on the room. Apparently that was impossible, a Herculean task. Enough said.
Of course, there were less negative aspects to this hotel: the rooms are beach-friendly granite/stone with lovely bath tubs, the beach outside is nice if you fancy Miami beaches (I'm a Pacific Ocean native so...), the decor can be considered attractive. The restaurants were once hip, now boring, but still solid. In short, it is not a disaster, but unless you have a specific agenda that ivolves clubbing at your hotel and then collapsing there, I would look elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Designed by famed British architect David Chipperfield, with landscaping inspired by the rich Matisse-like palette of the Jardin Majorelle in Marrakech, Shore Club shimmers with intrigue and sensuality. Anchored by the original polished terrazzo floor, the elegant furnishings are an eclectic mix evocative of global marketplaces—including relaxed sofas, hand-woven tribal rugs and large patterned throw pillows from Kenya that invite mixing and mingling. The vibe is lively, the atmosphere intimate, the feeling electric. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Tablet Hotels, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Shore Club South Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shore Club Hotel Miami Beach
- Shore Hotel Miami Beach
- The Shore Hotel
- Shore Club Miami
- Shore Club In Miami