“Minimalist to the extreme, weird concierge experience and bogus minibar charges!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Shore Club South Beach Hotel

Daily Hotel Credit & More
Ranked #39 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Closter, New Jersey, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I am in my early 40s and have traveled a lot within the United States and abroad, so I have been to my fair share of standard and uber expensive hotels. To say I was disappointed by the Shore Club is an understatement. And no, I am not one of those people who gives negative reviews of everything! In fact, I hate to say anything negative about a hotel or restaurant that I have visited, but since our experience at the Shore Club was so weird, I wanted to share it with anybody that may be considering a stay there. I have written excellent reviews on this site of almost every other hotel and restaurant we had the pleasure of visiting during our stay in Florida and you are free to search for them and read them! Having said that, here goes:

UNCOMFORTABLE BEDS AND ICKY BATHROOM : This hotel is minimalist to the extreme, which is fine if it is done properly....The Delano is a good example of that. So, we wanted to experience the whole Miami "White" minimalist movement, but we wanted to stay at a hotel that was within walking distance to shops and restaurants, so we opted for the Shore Club. The rooms were very stark, which we expected, but what we didn't expect were the uncomfortable hard beds and the cement surround around the bathtub which was stained and dirty. And although I hesitate in using the word "icky", that's exactly what it was, "icky!" Maybe cement and water just don't mix. Newsflash, I know. And, the hard mattresses killed my lower back! I guess the 20 something kiddies that stay there don't have back problems yet... If I were the owner of the Delano, I would have sued the designer for not understanding the basic laws of chemistry and comfort! But, the designer does get an A+ for making sure the Shore Club spent very little on its renovations....how bare can you go? Visit the Shore Club and you will find out!!!

CLOROX SMELL: when we entered our room, it smelled of Clorox. Look, I appreciate the fact that the room had been so thoroughly cleaned, but dude, does it have to smell like Clorox? It's a hotel, not a hospital!!!

GOOD SERVICE: On a positive note, the Clorox smell was quickly attended to with some febreze spray from the hotel staff and service was always quick and reliable. Giving credit where credit is due...

BEAUTIFUL GARDEN AND GREAT LOCATION: the outdoor garden area is very chic and tres adorable with hammocks, lounge areas and nooks and crannies that you can get lost in, whether you are reading a good book or just snuggling with your honey. It is also very romantic at night when it is all lit up with floor lanterns and moroccan looking lamps. Thumbs up on the outdoor garden area! The pool is also very nice and the access to the beach is very convenient. Also, the location is within walking distance to shops and restaurants! Location, location, location! You cannot beat this location!!!

WEIRD CONCIERGE EXPERIENCE: The concierge gets a thumb down. Attractive young brunette. Very peppy and sweet. She approached us at check in and asked me if we had come to the hotel for a special occassion. I said it was my birthday! She said happy birthday! I said thank you! She asked me for my room number. I gave it to her. Then she asked me what my favorite drink was. I told her it was a mojito. She told me that two mojitos would be waiting for us in our room! How sweet! I thanked her and my husband gave her a tip. We stayed at the Shore Club for a couple of days and the only mojitos we drank were at NOBU, and yes, we paid for them!! Look, if you tell people that drinks, that they did not ask for, will be waiting for them in their room, they should be there, regardless of whether you get a tip or not, and especially if you get a tip. Plain and simple. Your word is your word. Stick to it. And it was a special occassion so a bottle of champagne would have been a nice touch. Heck, the Marriot does it, so why can't the elite Shore Club do it? I guess you folks are just too hip and cool for that kind of stuff.... ;-)

A MIXED BAG AT NOBU: It was my birthday so my husband decided to treat me to a dinner at Nobu. Expensive restaurant so it was going to be our splurge for the week. It was the most expensive meal of our trip and the least enjoyable!! So I guess you don't always get what you pay for..... Beautiful restaurant, great ambience, beautiful people everywhere, but "model sized" portions of food. I guess that's why people in Miami are so skinny - because they eat at Nobu! ;-) And, no I am not overweight. I am skinny!! On a positve note, their hot plates were all delicious, especially the rock shrimp, but again, very small portions. Their sushi was fresh and decent, but again, the roll was very small. And, I have had better rolls at our local sushi restaurant in our sleepy little town for half the price. We were so hungry after our meal that we had to order appetizers at a bar where we met some friends afterwards!! Drinks were good though! Guess if you are drunk, you cannot tell that you are getting ripped off! ;-)

BOGUS MINIBAR CHARGES. So, we were in the room, my husband opens up the minibar fridge to check it out and says, look hon, there is a sticker that says that if you remove/touch any of the items in the minibar, even if you do not consume them, you will be charged for them! I was like, seriously?? My husband shuts the minibar door. I was skeptical, so I opened the minibar door and he was right! Clever, I thought. Ingenious way of cutting back on the labor to go through the contents of the minibar I thought. For a second there, the Shore Club actually had my respect! But, the label should have read "YOU WILL GET BOGUS MINIBAR CHARGES EVERYTIME YOU OPEN THE MINIBAR DOOR!." We never touched or consumed any of the contents of the minibar, but my husband keeps getting bogus minibar charges on his credit card that he needs to keep calling them about. They credit the charges, but then charge them right back again. Ha ha, very funny Shore Club!!! But, it's not April Fools yet! So if you have been to the Shore Club lately, please check your credit card statements!!!

Tisk, tisk Shore Club! You could have been a classy experience that I ranted and raved about, but instead, you were a huge disappointment!!! So, Shore Club, if you want anybody over the age of 29 (translation, anybody who knows better) to stay at your hotel, you are going to have to STEP UP YOUR GAME!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dorothy Jean H, Shore Club Genie at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear "Liliana M,"

We deeply apologize that you were disappointed by Shore Club and we did not give you an amazing experience like so many other guests have commented on this website. Its spare, sensuous architecture comes courtesy of famed British modernist, David Chipperfield. His modern aesthetic is showcased in this serene, radiant space. A refreshing white-on-white color palette is infused with vibrant touches of color, reflecting Shore Club’s lush tropical gardens. Custom-designed furniture and fixtures blend high style with comfort.

We are sorry you did not find our beds to be comfortable. This is the first complaint we have ever heard about our beds. People even ask to purchase our pillows and linen because they are so heavenly. The cement surrounding the bathroom is Mexican Sandstone. We apologize that you felt it was stained and dirty. There was an overpowering Chlorox smell in your room, however I'm happy our team removed the odor efficiently.

Regarding your experience with our concierge, we are so sorry that we fell short of your expectations and we have since retrained our entire concierge in ensuring we deliver on our promises. We are sincerely regretful for the challenges you experienced with Nobu and minibar . We hope the errors with these charges have now been taken care of.

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our beautiful garden and location. However should you still be experiencing problems with your bill, please contact me directly at dj.hicks@mhgc.com

Kind Regards,

1,501 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Tampa, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel was great....years ago. I used to love the pool, the cabanas, the whole South Beach experience. Maybe I'm just getting old? We stayed here last February during the Miami Boat Show and I had great hopes for it based on my past experience. Now it's just run down, overpriced, and filled with riff-raff. If your goal in life is to be on an episode of Jersey Shore than maybe this hotel is for you......

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear "Avanya2012,"

Thank you so much for your honest review of Shore Club and we are sorry your stay last year did not meet your expectations. Since you have stayed in January 2012, we have completed a rigorous update of all our areas in the hotel in order to improve our guest experience. We cater to a broad range of guests and many of them comment on the great mix of clientele. We certainly would never call any of our guests "riff raff."

We hope that we can welcome you back to Shore Club in the near future so you can experience the many improvements that we have made.

Kind Regards,
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Talk about an important booking... I got a suite a Shore Club for new years. but more importantly, to get engaged to my girlfriend during my trip! Talk about delivering... words can't describe the level of service, attentiveness, cleanliness, etc. that shore club executed over the most meaningful vacation of my life. I stayed there once in 2007, and for whatever reason, this surpassed my experience over half a decade ago. I will never forget it, you made Miami for me and my fiance!! THANK YOU SHORE CLUB!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dorothy Jean H, Shore Club Genie at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dearest "Ben K,"

CONGRATULATIONS! Everyone here at Shore Club is so happy for you both and wish you lots of love and happiness in your future. We are honored that you choose us for this special occasion. You will always be dear to our hearts. Come celebrate your future anniversary with us!

Sending you much love from your Shore Club family,
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed here for my birthday and I can't tell you how awesome it was. I am from Miami and needed to get away for a night from the suburbs. By staying at this hotel, I got a little view as to why people from all around the world come to stay here!

Pros: Really nice lobby, beautiful view of the ocean, cozy room, incredibly friendly staff, really good food on the beach, conveniently located near everything in Miami Beach, etc. etc. etc. (the list goes on)
Cons: Could only stay one night!

I really recommend this place and I'll definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: corner rooms facing the ocean are cheaper and you can see the ocean from your bed!
Dearest "Sean D,"

Happy Late Birthday!! We are so thrilled that you choose to stay with us for a little getaway even though you are from Miami. You listed some great pros. But about the con you listed... well you better just come back right away and stay longer than one night! See you again soon.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

4 guys stayed at the Shore Club for 10 days. The rooms are spotless, the bathroom is very large with an excellent shower and there is plenty of cupboard space.
The service at the front desk, the concierge and the pool was superb. Restaurant bookings, tables at clubs all done to perfection without any hassle or problem.
All the staff look like they are genuinely happy to work at the Shore Club and interact just the right amount with guests.
I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dearest "Ben P,"

WOW... you are such a sweetheart! You are making us blush. Thank you for the compliments of our superb front desk, concierge, and pool service. We are all genuinely happy to help our guests! Can't wait to see you again.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Came to Miami with a couple of buddies for our annual “Mancation” and we all stayed at the Shore Club. We looked at a lot of hotels and simply could not find a better deal for the same level of quality that the Shore Club provides. During the day we took full advantage of the pool with it’s excellent music and drinks/food. The rooms are quiet large with excellent amenities and probably the best shower pressure I’ve ever had. The location is excellent with all the popular restaurants and night spots close by. It’s also conveniently located across the street from a liquor store which certainly doesn’t hurt. An added benefit is that you can easily get into other properties in South Beach by mentioning that you are staying at Shore Club and showing them a room key...with 7-guys I don’t think we ever had to wait in line at Delano, SLS or anywhere else...just because we stayed at the hotel. All in all...just a great experience from the rooms, staff, and location.

If you’re fine shelling out upwards of $800/night for a hotel then perhaps you can find something better but for the money....this is the place to be.

In fact, I enjoyed my stay so much I’m going back there with the gf next week for 4-nights to soak up some sun.

Room Tip: My room was next to the elevator which was convenient but if I was there simply to relax I'd pro...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dearest "Roman B,"

Thank you for this amazing review! Glad you enjoyed the "man-cation" so much that you are returning with the girlfriend this week! We do have the best water pressure in our showers. I have already upgraded your room and looking forward to seeing you! Enjoy soaking up the sun.

Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My business school friends and I take a weekend each year to get together in a city and hang out. This year we chose Miami and for our place of stay we chose The Shore Club. We booked two rooms with two doubles on some shintzy website (some people in our crew like to save every penny. I generally realize that you get what you pay for). Anyways, we showed up ready for a good time, get to the desk, are greeted by Will AKA "The Manager." Will promptly tells us that the double rooms we booked on the chintzy website were relayed to them as Kings. Happens all the time he said. Because King rooms cost less, the website books them and misinforms the customer on their site they they got doubles making the deal look better than it is. I would have loved to confirm this at the time but unfortunately chintzy.com didn't have a US number! Rut roh, we thought, we now have 4 dudes with two King beds. Let the homo-erotosism begin. I'm pretty handsy when I sleep, especially after drinking and we are all pretty decent sized dudes so this was just unacceptable. Anyways, after lots of back and forth with Will "The Manager" that went like...."Look at our phones! See we booked Doubles!" "I see that and look what the chintzy website booked, "Kings!" we were told that the hotel was completely booked and it was Kings or nothing and that getting roll-aways was impossible because the rooms we had were too small for them. After more back and forth that went like...."unacceptable!" and "I hate you!" Will "The Manager" told us to hang out and come back in a couple of hours as he worked through the issue. Usually I, being a pessimist, expect disappointment but Will came through big time. He upgraded both rooms to larger suites to accommodate the extra beds. One of the suites had a suite (see what I did there) balcony! He also got us a free VIP bottle at the club in the hotel. From that point on our stay was phenomenal! Everyone who worked there including Will "El manager" was super nice and really friendly. Dude at the door was real cool and knew everything about Miami. We ended up having a great time and I didn't wake up with my arm around one of my friends. You can't beat that. Thanks Will.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dorothy Jean H, Shore Club Genie at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dearest "Jason A,"

Your review was a hoot! Thank you for the amazing comments about Will!../ He was more than happy to help you out with your situation. Come back to see us again soon!

Dorothy Jean "DJ"

Been to Shore Club South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!