“A must see, but maybe not stay...” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #40 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
“A must see, but maybe not stay...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We have been to Miami South Beach several times but never stayed at the Shore Club. We were excited and eager for our vacation. First, let me say, by all means, don't miss the Shore Club if in South Beach. The grounds are amazing, cool, well-maintained, and have a great atmosphere and vibe. The pool and skybar area are wonderful. Go for a drink. Go eat at Nobu (always one of our must-dos when there). I am sad to say that after all the anticipation, actually staying there fell short. First, we arrived early so I didn't expect a room. But, after waiting over four hours (and well past the posted check in time) without ever receiving a call as promised, it got a little ridiculous. After checking back at the desk on our own, our room was then ready. The rooms are in a common Miami decor - minimalist, white, but very cool. We were in a jr. suite with ocean view and the extra full bath was a great suprise. The balcony was nice as well. Once in our room, we waited over an hour for our luggage and, after calling to see what happened, they finally brought it. It was a special occasion for my husband and I so after we were settled in our room (we'd been exploring all day while waiting for our room) well, let's say we were in the midst of some private romantic time. Imagine our suprise when someone came busting into the room. My reaction was to yell in suprise and shock. They quickly left. Then we got back to enjoying our time, and the phone rings. Ugh! They were trying to deliver a bottle of wine compliments of the house. Nice gesture, but bad timing. And, to come into the room - very bad.

During our four day stay, we enjoyed the beach access and pool a lot. BUT, we kept getting the nagging uncomfortable feelilng of being "nickeled and dimed" to death - but at the Shore Club, it's really $10 and $20'd to death. I know South Beach is expensive and I expect it. What I don't expect is to pay over $600 for a room, then get hit up for everything as an extra. They let the public into the pool on the weekend, so then they start charging for pool chairs (which were free during the week). Really? Fine, charge the public, but not paying guests! At the beach, we were upsold on having the nice chair at the front by the water - for $100!!! Really, did I have "sucker" tattooed on my forehead? Yes, drinks are expensive, but don't come to South Beach if you don't like that. But, the excessive upcharges they put on everything on top of the high prices? A bit much. The spa was a mystery to me as to why it was so popular. It had no atmosphere. The "relaxation area" was a few chairs in front of the busy bank of elevators. I was overcharged from the quoted price for my service - but to their credit, they fixed it the next day when I mentioned it. The locker room facilities are minimal at best and after paying so much for th week, they wanted to charge me $10 just to use the shower before we left? Another example of the extra charges.

So, don't miss this wonderful property. But, think twice about staying there. They seem to be struggling with what type of property they want to be and who they cater to. We will find another place next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dorothy Jean H, Shore Club Genie at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear K-Cadventures,

The Shore Club sincerely wants all of our hotel guests to enjoy every moment of their stay so it bothers us to hear your review. We acknowledge your inconveniences and hope that you come back again for all the things you enjoyed such as our pool, Skybar, and atmosphere. We apologize for the delay of your room being ready, that is why we sent you a bottle of complimentary wine. Each room provides a "Do Not Disturb" sign to be hung outside the room when you require privacy. Had the sign been there, Room Service would not have entered and disrupted your romantic private time. The pool is only open to the public on Sundays for our fabulous Sundaze Pool Party. Also, chairs and towels are complimentary to all hotel guests at the pool and beach. Guests are only charged for cabanas on the beach or day beds by the pool. Our spa is known for being relaxing and tranquil so I am sorry you did not agree on this. It is unfortunate that you felt "nickeled and dimed." We at Shore Club work very hard to please our guests... Hope you give us another chance. We appreciate your honest feedback!

Dorothy Jean "DJ"

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Westport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just the right amount of wrong. Rooms are nothing fancy - minimalist or bare boned if you'd rather... But the bathrooms are huge and water pressure phenomenal. Service is great and there is always a scene. You can stay under the radar or be out in the thick of the action. Clean sheets and a greet nights sleep, if you choose to sleep!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dorothy Jean H, Shore Club Genie at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear "Jlang816,"

We appreciate your honest feedback. Our guestrooms radiate high style, with a white-on-white palette with dashes of color. It is a minimalistic style but that is one of the reasons that make our rooms so very chic. We do have fantastic water pressure in our luxurious bathrooms and plush beds with down duvets. Our bed linens are 400-thread-count Egyptian cotton sheets... very cozy and snug! We hope to see you again soon.

Genie Wishes,
Nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My stay at shore club was fabulous and phenomenal. Based on my friend peters experience I had anticipated a pleasant experience but imagine my surprise when I was blown away by how far beyond it went. What really got me was how genuine everybody seemed and how eager to please the staff was! It didn't feel servile in any way it just seemed like nice people wanting me to feel good on vacation. I look forward therefore, to becoming an old friend. Do you have a loyalty program?? I would like to single out DJ, rio, and emily for being especially helpful during my stay. You can count on my recommending this hotel to friends and i look forward to returning again next year.

Room Tip: My experience so far is limited (only one visit, but that won't be true for long) but I thought...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dearest "Doublerainbow132,"

Thank you so much for this marvelous review!! It was smart to take your friend's advice to stay here after he had such an amazing experience. Everybody here at Shore Club is truly genuine and authentic. We sincerely look after our guests and treat them all with kindness. Thank you for mentioning Rio, Emily, and myself! It was great meeting you and we are all looking forward to seeing you again.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

At the Shore Club in Miami Beach, from the time you stepped out of the cab you felt very welcomed. DJ met us at the door with a warm smile, checked us in herself so we would not have to wait making us feel very special and welcomed. The lobby is spa like decorated in pure white making you feel relaxed immediately after a long trip. It was our first visit, my husband on business and myself on vacation. With the availability she updated us to a suite which overlooked the pool and the ocean which was breathtaking making our stay perfect, thank you. The room was very comfortable, clean, minimalist decorated in pure white with two bathrooms with the bedroom being able to be closed off from the lounge area. Although the music was loud in the bar at night our room was very quiet. The outdoor area is very comfortable and inviting to relax and enjoy a drink or meal. The hotel is a very short walk to the convention centre. It is also in walking distance to the main strip with the shops and restaurants of which there is a vast number to choose from and going the art deco district. All the employees we encountered were very friendly, provided great customer service and we would definately return in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower overlooking the pool and beach is great to watch the sunrise over the ocean.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dorothy Jean H, Shore Club Genie at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dearest Shirtley148,

Well aren't you just the sweetest!! Thank you so much for those thoughtful words! I was so lucky to have met you and I am glad you appreciated the upgrade to the suite. I always want to make sure all our guests feel welcomed! You are right, we are located in a great spot.... right next to the Convention Center, Lincoln Road, and Ocean Drive! We can't wait to see you again.

Sending you a big smile from Shore Club,
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

The staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. The hotel itself is simply but beautifully decorated, very "Miami" style. The outdoor garden area and pool area are fabulous, a wonderful place to relax or have a meal and take in the beauty. On Sunday they had a Sundaze pool party with a live DJ, it was great to people watch and hang out for a few hours, a lot of beautiful people partying. The drinks are delicious (but a little expensive at 16$+).
We had a room in the lobby building and it was clean, quiet and the bed was uber comfortable. The amenties are fabulous. I would definately go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dearest IdaFlat,

Wow... Thank you for the lovely review! You are so kind and thoughtful to post these amazing comments about Shore Club. We do have a great staff and our hotel does have a very chic Miami style! I agree with you about the good "people watching" at our Sundaze pool party... We have the best DJ's spinning records and the crowd is definitely fun to watch! I love to see all the action at our Sundaze pool party every Sunday. I am delighted that you enjoyed our amenities in the room. Malin+Goetz are our high-end products made of natural ingredients that everyone goes nuts for! They are amazing and so are you!

Genie Wishes,
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Everything at this hotel was great aside from my first having a cockroach in it. After switching rooms there wasn't a glitch. I'd definitely come back to the Shore Club, although the prices during April are pretty high.

Room Tip: Ocean View is the best, although it's not very much difference if you're going to be on the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jim M.,

Thank you so much for your feedback and I sincerely apologize for the issue you experienced when you first checked in your room. The Shore Club provides impeccable service from housekeeping to guest experience. I am glad you had a perfect trip otherwise and we do hope to see you soon! April in Miami is considered "high season" so the rates tend to be more expensive since we have the most amazing weather during that time! It is definitely worth the splurge! Please feel free to contact me anytime about future rates... I would love to give you a complimentary upgrade for the slight issue you experienced earlier! dj.hicks@mhgc.com

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Shore Club in Miami South Beach wants to be a hotel but is not. The people who work there are terrific with the exception of the Japanese restaurant, where they will try to over charge you and WILL if you are not careful.

In the hotel itself the rooms and corridors remind you of a dormitory and the noise level is so loud with slamming doors and metal walls, that you should not expect to sleep.

Move down the strip.... Do not stay at the Shore Club.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dorothy Jean H, Shore Club Genie at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Eeesh,

Thank you so much for your honest feedback, be it positive or negatvie, it is so vey important to us. Our hotel is known for its amazing guest experience and venues such as Nobu. Nobu is rated one of the best restaurants in Miami and people from all over the world come to dine here. I apologize if this did not live up to your expectations. Our rooms are chic, cool, and modern... They are designed by the famous David Chipperfield and we get so many great compliments on its iconic design. I'm sorry if we were not your style. Everyone has different tastes. We hope you come back and give us a second chance and we can show you why so many guest return to Shore Club time after time.

Dorothy Jean "DJ"

Been to Shore Club South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!