“Loud at night, overpriced hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #42 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
new york city
“Loud at night, overpriced hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2008

I would never stay here again due to the fact that they have nightclub parties and loud music until 3am at the pool which you can hear in your rooms at all hours. Even though I was on th 18th floor it still sounded like the music was right outside. Besides the fact that when you go downstairs it's like trying to make your way through an obnoxious night club.

Truly impossible to get a good nights sleep here. Very bad experience, the only good thing is the staff that is very nice and attentive, especially the concierge and front desk and valets. housekeeing wasnt so good at cleaning the trays of food in the hallways or forgetting things in the room.

also beware of hte high prices of the water and mini bar. also, only decent resaturant was nobu, the other one was the worst food i'd had in miami, $40 for a bowl of greasy pasta. ridiculous!

• Liked — staff and location to beach
  • Disliked — loud music at night and rude guests that were there to party
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2008

We were off to a bad start when we checked-in way past check-in time, our room was not ready and the front desk lady was very rude about it.
It is a party hotel. If you are there to relax, don't go. I took my sister for a bachelorette weekend however the first night I was exhausted, after dinner went up to my room to read. What was I thinking. You won't get to sleep until after - way after - the bar closes. Ok - my fault, but just fyi.
I don't like that there are concrete floors. I feel like I am staying in a dorm room.
I also wasn't too thrilled about the cockroach making its way across the room either.
Pluses - the shower/bathrooms are nice. The beds are typically queen or kings and fairly comfortable, the tv is nice as well. They were pretty attentive at the beach, not so much by the pool.
All in all - I wouldn't stay there again, but I am not really a fan of Miami either.

• Liked — Two queen size beds in the room
  • Disliked — Front desk, bugs
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lisboa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

Shore Club it was simply great... a very nice surprise !

It´s a good place to stay if you want to be in the action.
The lobby is very impressive. The rooms are clean and minimal with everything you´ll need..
With the famous restaurants like Nobu..expensive but you´re in Miami and you can see beautiful people.
Great partys in the evening by the pool

• Liked — the quality
  • Disliked — the price
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

Just got back from a 2 night stay at this dorm room/prison/mental hospital. The first room they put us in was next to an elevator which rumbled all the time, as well as a set of doors that also made a lot of noise when they opened and closed , which was often. The bathroom didnt have a tub, just the concrete that is everywhere in this place. It did have a very creepy stained bench in it as well as handles/rails around the bathroom and rest of the room. When we called and asked if they had another room, we were told they only had a handicapped room available. Then we realized, we were in a handicapped room already.

We went down to the front desk, where they told us that for an extra $250 a night we could get a partial ocean view room. We passed on the $250 upgrade, and I demanded they give us a better room. They put us in a slightly better room, but again all the reviews about the noise of rolling carts in the hallways, cold small cramped dorm room/ mental hospital decor , loud guests, sounds echoing down the halls, little amenities, overpriced products all over the room (sunblock , shampoo, conditioner for $30 each)is absolutely 100% true. I didnt want to take my shoes off in the room , as it felt dirty.

Also my wife and I wanted to relax by the pool, read a book or just sit there, but there is very loud booming club music all the time. I tried to find a quiet corner, but it doesnt exist there. Its just loud club music...by the pool, in the restaurant..even during breakfast...at night you can hear it in your room...I guess if you are a masochist and like being overcharged for mediocre accommodations at best, just so you can hang out and watch kids drinking and trying to pick up everyone in sight, you may like this place. If you want a fine luxurious hotel and a vacation to remember for the right reasons, keep away.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Its all bad
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york city
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

I highly recommend that if you head to South Beach, you do not stay at this property. We paid $910 a night (absurd yes....). For that stratospheric price, I was expecting Four Seasons meets Ritz. Instead, the following insued....food poisioning from Nobu, couldnt get a chair by the pool two days in a row, they ran out of chairs at the beach (is that possible?), the floors were concrete circa Warsaw '42, there was a cockroach the size of my hand in the shower (okay, its the tropics, its happens....), and the staff was lazy and indifferent (on a good day). We ordered room service...took over an hour both mornings (can you say cold coffee, cold oatmeal, etc). When I tried to order lunch, the staff told me the wait would be over an hour...so why bother!

The upside...not much. Good bar scene/party at night. But, with 200+ other places in a 1 square mile....definetly dont have to stay at the hotel to have an amazing time. The GM tried to make good...and was attentive once we vigorously complained...but at that point....nerves fried!

Good luck if you stay there.......

• Liked — leaving when I checked out
  • Disliked — staff...lazy, indifferent and i felt like i was putting them out for seemingly simple requests
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

The best thing at this very expensive hotel is its night life. I was there on business and a colleague said to me that this was really a “night club with a hotel inside” and he was dead-on. If you want a party atmosphere and can afford everything being crazy expensive then The Shore Club is for you. If you are looking for a good night sleep and a place to relax think twice and read all the reviews before committing to The Shore Club.

The second best part of the hotel was the staff. There is staff everywhere and most are very attentive.

Upon check-in be sure 1) that you have a property map and 2) that you know where you are going. I noticed at least three banks of elevators to get to different sections of rooms. Despite the map, I got lost on the way to my room. A staff member saw the confusion on my face and readily pointed me in the right direction.

My room with a king size bed was quite good but had one significant flaw. I overlooked the hotel’s plaza (read: party area) and was worried about late night noise, but that fear was unfounded. As many reviews point out there is slate tile on the floors of the rooms. I “get” why they did this, but clearly function does not follow form in this case. The tile was great in the bathroom. Having it in the bedroom was okay at best and a big problem at worst. My problems with the slate tile were two-fold. First, it extends into the hallway. So starting around 7am, you will likely hear everyone and each of their rolling suitcases click and clack down the hallway towards the elevator. Second, one morning I awoke at 6am to the sound of the bed on the floor below screeching back and forth on the floor (perhaps an amorous couple?). The bathroom was really cool and was stocked with the expected toiletries and soaps.

If you have young children, check if The Shore Club has any rooms with bathtubs. My room and those of my business colleagues all had glass enclosed showers. Also, be aware there are items for sale all over the room and bathroom. It is easy to confuse the free shampoo with the not free suntan lotion.

The other reviewers’ comments about the elevators are spot on. The look terrible and in some sections of the hotel are slow to come.

The outdoor pools are heated and enjoyable. It could be a little hard to get the pool staffs’ attention. Once you had it though, it was fine. Towels at the pools were nowhere to be found. Be careful sitting on the outdoor furniture it may be wet. The staff makes a valiant effort to cover the outdoor furniture if a shower comes through, but you can easily sit on a very wet cushion hours after the storm has passed.

We dined at Ago a couple of different times. The food was good to excellent. The staff was excellent and very attentive.

The Shore Club has two outdoor bars and two inside bars. Music is pumped throughout the facility. While the music is fine, it is every where. If you need a quiet place to talk or to make a cell phone call, you will be hard pressed to find a spot outside of your room. The bars are a good place to hang out especially at night to people watch and just talk with friends and fellow guests. The outdoor seating areas are fantastic (beware of wet cushions) with lanterns setting the mood all over the property.

Be prepared to pay…a lot…for every part of your stay. From the $500+ per night rooms to a $20 (very good) hamburger to $3.50 sodas everything is exceptionally pricey.

Because of the expense and the slate tile floors this would not be the hotel of my choosing. Having said that, I can see why the younger party crowd would enjoy it.

• Liked — Night life, outdoor seating area and ambiance
  • Disliked — Slate floors in hallways and rooms
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2008

I visit South Beach 3 - 5 times a year for entertaining clients and personal vacation. I typically stay at the Delano when with clients and the Tides when on personal time. However, this time, I said I would stay at the Shore Club because I spend time at Nobu or Sky Bar. Please don't waste your money on this hotel just to get easier access to the restaurants or bars.

The hotel rooms are very loud, no fluff, or extra amenities found at most other hotels. The service was horrible - room wasn't made up unless we called or pool side staff hung out with guests vs. served guests. Guests pay a lot of money to stay here and the attitude and lack of attention towards guests is horrible. Check your credit card statement upon returning home....I was charged over $400 more than what the bill actually was.

Stayed January 2008

Been to Shore Club South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!