“Not as bad as I thought..” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Daily Hotel Credit & More
Ranked #39 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Cali
“Not as bad as I thought..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

First of all, I love Miami so it's hard to make me unhappy here. It's just so expensive! Normally I stay at the Sagamore because the rooms are big. Based on the pictures of the rooms at Shore Club online, I was worried. We booked a Deluxe King and it looked very stark and small in the photos. I was pleasantly surprised when we got in the room. It was a decent size with a big bathroom and a balcony with chairs to lay out on. I personally didn't like the decor of the hotel outside. It looked old and dirty. We arrived super early in the morning because we took a redeye flight from LA. We ended up having to wait a few hours for our room to be ready so we went to breakfast at the restaurant. The manager was great. Super friendly and welcoming. We had the buffet and it was good but nothing amazing. We ordered two mimosas and then decided to just get a bottle of prosecco. The two glasses of mimosas was $48 and the bottle was $50. I couldn't believe we paid only $2 more for a bottle. Lesson learned, don't buy single glasses of a wine/champagne. The breakfast ended up being $163 for two! Nobu is great as always, the beach service was great (ricky was very friendly). The only complaint really is the housekeeping. They didn't replenish towels, left a dirty glass, didn't replenish glasses, didn't straighten up the balcony. I called twice and they never came up so I had to call front desk and then they finally did. Also had a mishap with our keys when we first arrived but they resolved it fairly quick so it was fine. Oh and the housekeeping was SO loud every morning!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandra A, Guest Relations Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear seluj07,

Thank you so much for your review and your honest feedback on your stay. I have passed on your great comments to the manager at Terrazza and also to Ricky at the beach. They are superstars!

However I was very concerned to read about the challenges you encountered with the houskeeping service and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please be assured that I am personally looking into this with the Director of Housekeeping.

I hope to see you soon.

Kind Regards,

1,502 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I wanted to hate the Shore Club as I am a W fan but it was fully booked for Easter, so we reluctantly booked into the Shore. And what a lovely time we had. We left almost preferring it to the W. Was very chilled out. Rooms were clean, comfortable beds. Pool was great, sat there most of the time and could always get a bed, though Sunday was a bit crazy when all the locals show up for a pool party. The food around the pool was really good. Staff were great, esp around the pool and at the front desk. Good location, within easy walking distance of Ocean Drive and Lincoln Ave.
I'm taking a star away as we were in the Nobu building, which I wasn't wild about, you share the lift with the nobu kitchen staff so you do kind of feel like you're in the "cheap seats". Service in the room was a bit patchy, some evenings we got turn down service, sometimes we didn't, and sometimes they didn't replenish the toileteries, which was annoying.
The beach beds were also comfortable though the W's beds and those of the Setai and Delano look a bit smarter if you care about those things.
That said, despite feeling that the Shore is a trifle tired and could do with a lick of paint, I really did like it and thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. And I'd stay there again in a heartbeat (and at $325/night vs $791 for the W over easter it was much better value for money)

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the Nobu wing. We were in room 684 which had a view of the Setai parking lot.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandra A, Guest Relations Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear Welltravelled888
Thank you so much for your amazing comment! We really appreciate your honesty.
Thank you also for recognizing the pool and front desk staff “ they are the jewels in our crown “.
I appreciate your comment about the location of your room. Since the property is very large and we have 4 different buildings be sure to ask for a room in a different location on your next stay .
I apologize for the inconsistent service with housekeeping, I am currently looking into that.
I hope to welcome you back soon.
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed for 5 days over Easter and there is a lot they do right at the Shore Club. First of all, our room was ready when we got there before noon. that was a great surprise. The room was very large, very quiet once inside and as many people have said, great big bathroom with good water pressure. We found every person who worked for the Shore Club to be friendly and very helpful. Not a bad attitude in the whole place from a service perspective.

I think the issue people have is the noise level sometimes at night. Our room was very quiet. The only issue is the hallways really carry noise and with most people drinking a lot who stay here, they tend to be very loud coming back to their rooms. It is very surprising to me that so many people have no regard that others may be sleeping at 3, 4 or 5 in the morning and feel free to talk loudly, play music in the halls etc...I was trying to figure out why this is the attitude in this particular hotel because I have been to Vegas several times, New Orleans, New York City etc... and never experienced this attitude. I would highly recommend calling to the front desk every time this happens because the only way to solve it is to have management address it when it happens.

That said, I noticed it was much noisier on the weekend. Weeknights were just fine and overall I would say this is not a business hotel so go for fun when you can sleep in. I would also highly recommend the beach vs. the pool. Frankly I cannot imagine why anyone would want to hang out at that pool when you have an absolutely gorgeous beach - and the beach guys are WONDERFUL - TIP them well and they will take care of you. Someone else said it in a review but the pool is a bunch of jersey shore wannabes and euro-types who think they are much more than they are...so go to the beach and avoid them anyway.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear katamaran000
Thank you very much for your fantastic review. We are so glad you spent Easter with us at Shore Club.
With regards to the noise in the hallways our security team conducts regular patrols to avoid any inconvenience to our guests however I have passed on your comments to the Director of Security and he will ensure appropriate follow up. Thank you again for recognizing our entire staff as being helpful especially our wonderful beach staff!
I hope to see you very soon.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

To set the scene, my 4 night stay at the Shore Club was on company expenses. I was VERY apprehensive staying here given the very mixed, leaning towards bad, reviews on TA. However, as everything was set up for me by the company, I went in with an open mind.

Decor - sparse. I personally don't think they made the trendy mark. There is a difference between bare and trendy. All the concrete made the hotel look cheap, especially in the outdoor areas where the plants were unpruned and the mattresses/day beds at the pool area looked dirty. The bathroom walls were painted which meant that the dampness in the shower area had led to blistering (not sure of the technical term). Not very classy, especially at the rates they charge. On the plus side, all that concrete made it 'feel' cleaner as it minimises the amount of dirt trapped.

Service - more misses than hits. Staff are either friendly or not, and they're usually not with no in-betweens. As previous reviewers have mentioned, getting service for a drink or towels around the pool area was a mission, even when the pool area wasn't busy. What is up with that?! There was a blonde waitress who kept chatting to a group of people the whole time I was there. Upon check out, there was an error on my bill. It was clearly an error and at the risk of sounding dramatic, had an alibi for the time that the charge was made which they could easily verify. For starters, the lady checking me out at front deck didn't know what to do. When the manager came out, they clearly didn't believe in 'innocent until proven guilty' and furthermore, DID NOT APOLOGISE. A simple SORRY for the INCONVENIENCE caused would have GONE A LONG WAY. They took it off my bill, however there are other odd charges I have noticed on my credit card since leaving. I have asked for a breakdown and have yet to receive a reply. Not impressed.

Amenities - everything comes with a price. For instance, after our first night, they had taken away our towels and not replaced them. I had left them hanging on the hook so was ready to reuse. They hadn't replaced the used soaps either. A rather hefty tip and a note the next day resulted in LOTS of soap left. So yes, pay, and you will get, even for the simple stuff. I visited the spa, and the set up could be improved. The general decor of the place felt cheap. Prices, were not cheap.

Noise - We stayed at the wing closer to the entrance, which I presume is quieter than the area nearer the pool. Generally, noise didn't disturb us unless the hip and happening people were screaming in the corridor (very cool guys, very cool). It appears that the main door isn't well sound-proofed. Also, to understand the type of clientele the Shore Club attracts, the ceiling was literally shaking on one of the nights. How the people above managed to get the ceiling to shake is beyond me.... hence my title of 'Club trying to be a hotel'.

Location - good location in walking distance to the main sights, Ocean drive (5 mins to the top), Lincoln Road (10-15 mins), Espanola Way (10-15 mins). Beach in the backyard.

Overall - I wouldn't go back, certainly not as a paying customer. For a four star hotel, you could be treated a lot better somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear AnnualLeaveLover,

Thank you very much for your honest feedback regarding your stay. We receive so many great comments about the hotel so it is always dissapointing to hear when we have let ourselves down.

I am also very concerned to read about the billing errors that you mention. Please can I ask that you contact me directly at alexandra.aubry@mhgc.com and I will personally look into this for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Let me begin by saying that I am definitely not the average guest at the Shore Club. I am a 67 year old soon to be retired teacher in an inner-city high school and I was on spring break in South Beach. When I called the Shore Club in advance I spoke to Lucy Martin, the manager. She was absolutely charming. She told me that it would be very lively at the Shore Club on the weekend. I told her that I was sure that the music would be better than the hip-hop rap etc. that I hear every day. I was right. Yes, the music and “scene” were lively, but at least it was real music! If I had I wanted quiet and dull, I would have visited a retirement community. The majority of the hotel guests were very young 20 somethings, actually ½ my children’s ages, and everyone was very friendly. There were also some families with children.

When I arrived in Florida, I phoned to ask if my room could be ready a bit early. Will, the front desk manager, was very nice. He found a room and said that it would be ready, which it was. From the moment I arrived, I was totally impressed with the hotel. The last time I had been to the Shore Club had been in 1957! It has definitely come a long way. It’s still in the same great location, but there the similarities end. My room was absolutely beautiful, with an ocean view and a balcony and a great bathroom. The bed was great, and that is important when you have a 67 year old back. The staff was exceptionally accommodating and friendly, from the managers to the cleaning staff. I travel often, and the service at the Shore Club meets or exceeds service anywhere I have been in the world. I loved the restaurants, especially Nobu.

On my second day there, Alexandra Aubry, Guest Relations Manager, called to ask if I needed anything. I needed service twice during the five days I was there, once to fix the television, and once to get a refrigerator. Both times they were there in five minutes. When I left, Alexandra came to say “goodbye” and gave me a book about the history of Miami Beach. What a nice touch. I loved the facilities, especially the swimming pools and the beach. There are two pools. I’m a lap swimmer, and I was able to swim laps every day, at any time of the day. The attendants at the pools and the beach were extremely friendly and helpful.

Next year I will be retired, and I won’t have to confine my vacations to Christmas and spring breaks. I can’t wait to go back to this hotel. I would definitely recommend this place for anyone who is young or young at heart!

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear SusanN
I’m so happy to hear that you had such a great time with us.
We love to take care of our guests and that’s just why people love us and come back year after year. Thank you for mentioning Lucy, Will and myself. We enjoyed having you with us and can’t wait to personally welcome you back to Shore Club.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed 4 nights at the Shore Club over WMC / Ultra Music Festival. It was a great scene, we loved the daily pool parties, our room in the new Nobu tower was large compared to most Miami Beach rooms at other art deco properties. Overall a great stay and we would definitely stay here again. We had one incident that prompted me to write this review. We receive a phone call to the room phone on our last night from the room service manager (at 11:30pm). The message stated that they had an 'amenity' for us that they were trying to deliver but our privacy sign had been on our door all day. We didn't even notice the message until we were getting ready to check out the next morning... Who uses te room phone anymore? We called room service as instructed and requested this 'amenity' be delivered. They wouldn't tell us what it was! Two hours later still no delivery. On our way out to breakfast, we stopped at the concierge desk and explained this, he said he'd take care of it an have it delivered to his desk so we could pick it up on our way back in. Upon returning, he informed us that he had spoken to room service an there had been a 'misunderstanding' and there was nothing for us. My husband ten realized that re voicemail we received initially referred to his nickname, obvious that it was written that way on a card. So we went straight to the room service manager, insisted he look into his more and ta-da... They found our 'amenity'. A friend from back jome had bought us a bottle of Moët Champagne (with a personal note addressing my husband by his nickname). Poor service for a 4star hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
Alexandra A, Guest Relations Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2012
Dear Varcheetah,

Thank you so much for your review and I am glad to see that you had an overall good stay with us. However it is very frustrating to read of the problem you encountered with our room service department and the confusion regarding the amenity. Please be assured that I am personally looking into this and this error was indeed unacceptable. Please accept my sincere apologies for this oversight on our part.

I hope to be able to welcome you back soon and I ask that you contact me directly at alexandra.aubry@mhgc.com when you wish to return and I will personally oversee your stay with us.

Hope to see you soon!

NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

My buddies were raving about the sweet suite they'd rented for a bachelorette weekend in Miami, but this place did not meet my expectations for the money we paid to stay there. The sparse furniture is chintzy. The bathrooms could not be less inviting. The pool scene was sad, with all the best spots blocked by "Reserved" signs. I could identify a few instances where they'd tried for stylistic flair, but there's no energy behind it, so it feels dilapidated. Bummer!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear chin1ta,

Thank you so much for your review.

I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay at Shore Club. Our pool scene and energy throughout the hotel is famous on South Beach and it is this atmosphere that attracts so many guests to Shore Club. However I am sorry that you did not have this experience with us.

I hope to be able to welcome you back soon and be given the chance to personally oversee your stay and show you a real WOW time!

Alexandra

Been to Shore Club South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!