“Beware - beware hazard to your health” 1 of 5 stars

Biscaya Hotel
4000 Alton Road, Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Formerly Bayview Hotel) (Bayshore)   |
Ranked #171 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
chicago
“Beware - beware hazard to your health”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

We stayed in Key West with a friend that had never seen Florida. We decided to take a trip to Miami at the last minute. Stay one night and fly out the next day. This was the cheapest hotel available. IT WAS TERRIBLE, DISGUSTING, should I go on? The wall paper was falling off the walls, the toilet bowl was stained inside, the furniture looked like they got it from a second hand store or maybe just from the alley. There were homeless people sleeping in the parking lot. The hallways smelled, should I go on? We have traveled before and have stayed at inexpensive hotels, none of them have every been this bad. I can't begin to compare. I slept with my clothes on and on top of the blankets, not wanting to touch anything more than I had to. Barely slept, with one eye open and as soon as the sun came up we were out of that hell hole. BEWARE!!!!

• Liked — ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING
  • Tips/Secrets — BEWARE - BEWARD HAZARD TO YOUR HEALTH

Solo
Business
rotherham , UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

stayed here for 10 days last year.
location is not brilliant as its a 45 minute walk to where the action is in south beach, but we were on a budget and like walking so the hotel suited us fine.
it could do with renovation but im not a fussy person so it was ideal as we got a stonking deal on our stay. if you stay here either get used to hiring cabs or hire a car as you will need them to get around from where the hotel is.
I dont think the hotel is as bad as some of the people are saying, although i take the point about the carpets.....seems like its a while since they were hoovered.
overall i would describe it as adequate but if you are on a romantic holiday and want luxury definately do not stay here. staff were friendly though

• Stayed July 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2006

My husband and I were on a cruise in the Caribbean. He had a medical emergency and was airlifted to Mount Sinia hospital across the street from the hotel. I received the name of the hotel from the ER nurse. Should have been a clue how bad the hotel is when she commented " all I can say is they have a bed and a shuttle."

My husband and I travel extensively as he is retired from a major airline. I have never never never stayed in such a DUMP. I hadn't slept in three days due my husbands medical emergency. I thought " I just wanted a bed." All of the comments from the previous reviewers are true. I left the hosptial at 10:00 pm, after 4 calls to the hotel the "free shuttle" picked me up at 11:00 pm (located 3 mins. from the hospital). If it weren't so late I would have called a cab and returned to the hospital and slept on the floor as it was cleaner.I never took my flip flops off as they were sticking to the carpet. I was afraid to leave my bags open as bugs might crawl into them. I looked for bed bugs and made myself sick from the stains on the mattress. Slept in my cloths, never sat on the toilet because of the stains. Was going to wear my flip flops in the shower. Checked out as soon as the sun came up.

I felt taken advantage of as the hotel gave me a couple dollars off the cost when I explained my husband was in the hospital. The price should be $19.99 per night not $90 after tax. Better yet knock the hotel down as it is a health hassard.

• Stayed April 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2006

We booked this "hotel" (if you can call it that) online for an overnight stay prior to a cruise. We got in at 1h00am, the night manager barely said three words to us, gave us a key and we were on our way. While checking in, two young guys with their dates were trying to get rooms, made us wonder what kind of hotel this was.

We couldn't tell you what color the carpet is, it is covered in stains, I wouldn't walk on it barefoot if you paid me. The bath fixtures looked as if they had never been cleaned. We basically slept, showered and left as quick as we could. I get grossed out easily so I had to work extra hard to not think about what I had to sleep on. Still don't want to think about it.

The girl at the desk the next morning was very nice, not sure what she was doing working there. They had muffins and coffee in the dingy lobby but we opted to go across the street to Bagel Time instead.

We're in our mid to late thirties and are not complainers but this was pretty bad. We stayed at the Red Roof Inn close to the airport after the cruise and it was a hundred percent better there, at least there it was clean!

Don't expect more than a cheap, sleazy motel room, back home a place like this would cost you 25 bucks a night.

• Stayed February 2006
Hopewell Junction, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

Needed a place to stay last minute within a couple of miles of convention center, so I booked this hotel online. It's ok if all you want is a place to sleep. If you're going down with the family or significant other for a weekend getaway or vacation I wouldn't recommend it. Very dated circa late 70's early 80's, all furniture very old and lots of formica, lousy tv reception (antenna quality), carpets on hallways gotta go, everywhere you walk is a tripping hazard, not the cleanest place either. Overall it's a 5 minute car ride to where the action is ($10-15 cab ride) and it's a cheap place to lay your head down. Strictly no-frills. The place is in need of cosmetic updating and/or renovation. Oh, and it's by the highway.

• Stayed February 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2006

I should have heeded the advice on site. Even the staff joked with me that the board of health should shut this hotel down. The carpet was so old it was in waves, the rooms were unclean and unsanitary. I took a shower with flip flops on. The hotel lobby and public areas were dirty and scummy. The restaurant is permanently closed and it is very far from south beach. Hotels gave me a partial credit for my stay it was so bad.

• Stayed February 2006
Franklinville, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Biscaya overnight before our cruise. We mainly wanted to see the area because we had never been to Miami before. For the price, it was not bad at all.

We didn't think it was dirty, but it was indeed a little run-down. Definitely looks like a former HoJo hotel. The carpet in the hallways was wrinkled, little things like that. But the place was extremely quiet.

We stayed near the top floor of the hotel with our room facing the Bay. Through the tops of the trees we could see the tops of the cruise ships and the downtown Miami skyline.

I guess my biggest complaint was the TV. There was basically NO reception. Looked like a weak antenna signal rather than cable TV. That was pathetic, but we didn't stay there that long, so it didn't really matter.

The Friday night we stayed we took a taxi (6.00 or so) to Ocean Drive in South Beach (5-8 minutes away). Had a very good dinner at Mangos. But since we are not into clubbing, we walked along the beach (very tropical compared to Daytona just a couple hours north!) until sunset. The area was beautiful, including the art-deco architecture, but we were disappointed in how many people were over-the-top egotistical. You just want to scream, "Let go of yourself, people, and have some real fun!" But we found an area that's more "us". Called "The Walk", you can walk down a closed-off street filled with upscale restaurants / cafes and good shopping. A real relaxed, pleasant, laid back area. This area is kind of in the middle of the South Beach area away from all the clubs of Ocean Drive. We also saw a movie there at a good-sized theater at the end of "The Walk".

We were also attracted to the place because of the free airport shuttle that the hotel provides. The hotel is conveniently located to the airport. At one end of Rt. 195 is the airport, the other end is this hotel and Miami/South Beach. Early Friday we returned our rental car to Miami International Airport, called the hotel on our cell phone, and were picked up by the shuttle. Then, on Saturday morning, The staff was accomodating to our brother and his wife who joined us before the cruise. We asked if they could be shuttled to the hotel to spend a few hours with us instead of waiting at the airport all that time. Then all of us went back to the airport together where we then met with our reserved shuttle to the cruise.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Biscaya Hotel? Share your experiences!