“Life Doesn't Get Much Better Than The Delano Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Delano South Beach Hotel

You added Delano South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Delano South Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1685 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Delano Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #51 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Richmond, VA
“Life Doesn't Get Much Better Than The Delano Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I consider myself to be well-traveled, and I have visited many amazing hotels. The Delano is hands down the coolest hotel I have visited.

The location of the Delano is great! It is one block from Lincoln Road (home to many shops and restaurants). The Delano is located a short walk from Ocean Drive, the Convention Center, and many great nightlife options. Best of all, it is directly on the beach, which is not true of many South Beach hotels.

The Delano’s rooms are done in a unique mostly all white design. The beds are very comfortable. My favorite room feature is probably the I-pod docking station in every room. I read some of the earlier reviews saying the bathroom is somewhat small, and this is true in a few of the rooms, but who goes to Miami and then hangs out in the bathroom?!? I go to Miami for the pool, beach, great food, and nightlife, all of which are amazing at Delano.

The Delano has the most comfortable beach and pool chairs I have encountered anywhere. I wish I had a pair of them for my home. The beach and pool are both full service with an extensive drink and food menu available all day.

One of the most unique things about the property is that Delano can serve as a self contained destination. I have made many visits to the hotel and not had a reason to leave the property all weekend. The Blue Door, Plat Blue, and Blue Sea restaurants, as well as 24 hour room service are amazing. The Delano is home to some of the best night life in Miami with its lobby Rose Bar, pool bar, and The Florida Room. The doorman at the Florida Room always seems to get hotel guests in right away while others wait in line. After years of going to clubs in Miami, paying $25 cover charges or being forced into bottle service, I find I honestly prefer to stay at the hotel for nightlife and be treated like a VIP at the Rose Bar or Florida Room. The Delano definitely attracts the "in" crowd. I have lost count of the extensive list of celebrities I have run into at the Delano over the years.

Perhaps what I love best about the Delano is the staff. One thing that sets the Delano apart from any other property I have visited is the unique very personalized attention that is impossible to find at a large sized resort. I do not think I have made a request of a staff member that has not been honored. Many of the staff members remember my name visit after visit. What is just as remarkable is that bartenders at the Rose Bar and Florida Room welcome me back with a hand shake, and remember my regular drink, housekeeping has given me hugs, and when I first arrive for check in, bellman often welcome me back by name. Even for someone who has never stayed at Delano before, the high level of personalized attention should be evidenced by Ellis personally responding to many of the reviews on this web site. As you read reviews of hotels on this site, how many do you see that have personalized responses from the hotel management? Based on my knowledge of the Delano staff, I would not have expected anything less.

I can’t wait to get back to the Delano! See you guys this weekend!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
DelanoGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
PeytonJ,

Thank you for what you say about us (and me!). We are very fortunate to have such a seasoned staff who are able to balance a service that is both fun and friendly while remaining attentive and accountable--clearly this is a big reason that you have made us your Miami destination.

Peace and love!

Ellis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Polish first
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Overall this is an excellent hotel on the main hotel strip of South Beach. A friend and I stayed at the Delano after reading lots of hype on the Internet about just how cool and popular is this hotel. We figured that the coolest hotel on Collins Avenue would surely have a well-connected concierge that would score us tickets to any event or reservations at any hotel that we wanted during our stay. (He did just that, by the way.)
Upon entering the hotel lobby, you will find some of the tallest white curtains on Earth hanging from the ceiling. In Miami Beach, almost all the cool hotels are decorated in white, so there was no big surprise there. The room price was as high as the curtains, which was no surprise either, because of the hotel's location and reputation. The big surprise was in the room. I was expecting to find luxurious finishings like hardwood flooring and granite counter-tops and modern designer faucets. In fact the finishings were retro-industrial-looking, as in an old hospital or school, with vintage flooring. I must say that my stay would not have been even slightly improved had the finishings been as expected. In fact I consider it a brilliant idea to decorate minimally rather than waste millions of dollars on needless improvements. The reason that people go to South Beach is for the white sand beach with turquoise water, the great people from everywhere on Earth, the wonderful restaurants and shopping, and the Delano puts you in the middle of all these things.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Thank you! If you are looking for a fun experience where every need or want is attended to with a prompt yet causal "yes" then we are your hotel. What you say about our minimalist rooms is true--why stay in the room when you have the best pool and lobby scene in Miami waiting for you? Not to mention the best-connected concierges?

We hope to see you soon,

Strasbourg, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

My wife, daughter and I have just got back from our fourth trip to the Delano Hotel. Last time we stayed there was 3 years ago.

We had a fabulous time as always ! We love this hotel ! Rooms are nice and different than anywhere else. We couldn't believe that the staff hasn't changed much in 5 years. That tells a lot about how people love working there and how good they are at their jobs! They are amazing and make you feel special. Some even remembered us eventhough our last stay dated back to 2007 !

We ate at the Blue Door twice and loved it ! I recommend the Big Ravioli for starters ! The Blue Sea Sushi restaurant is also excellent!
Love their burgers at Plat Bleu too!
Parties on Saturdays at the pool are also fun and fabulous !

IMHO, their pool is the best hotel pool in the world (great scenery, perfect temperature, excellent staff etc...)

We have stayed in other South Beach Hotels in the past but it never really felt the same. After this trip, we decided never to stay anywhere else than at the Delano when in Miami !

A special thank you to those who made our stay special: Mihai (the Beach & Pool manager who was so kind to us and our daughter! He's very professional and it was always a pleasure to chat with him), Gustavo (Oi !), Caroline, Diego, Rodney (Rose Bar)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your loyalty and for taking the time to post this review.

I suppose the argument could be made the Delano and Versace helped to make South Beach what it is today...we are happy to still carry the torch. You're right about our staff remaining virtually intact and unchanged over the years; and we're happy that many of our guests--such as yourself--keep coming back season after season.

Thanks for the F&B shout outs--they rock!

See you soon,

Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

The Delano was Fabulous! The decor and ambiance are stunning. The service may have been the Best I've experienced. Although expensive, completely worth it. We had breakfast, lunch by the beach, and a wonderful dinner all at the hotel. Food is great. Sushi restaurant looked Fab as well but we didn't get a chance to try it. We highly recommend staying here. The conceirge was Very helpful with restaurant and club suggestions. We can't wait to come back!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
DelanoGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2010
Fabulous is as fabulous does. We hope to see you soon. And you must try the sushi--the best!

Paphos, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

we started our honeymoon with this beautiful hotel! we came a long way (Cyprus-Europe)
we had some trouble with our luggage and the staff especially Joshua (concierge) help us a lot. He help us get around south beach where to eat and shop. The decoration of the hotel is charming in his own special way. The swimming pool oh my god nice quiet and clean! I will definitely go again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
DelanoGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2010
Thank you so much for this review. Josh and our entire staff are indeed the best on the beach. As well, I'm happy you appreciated the charm captured in our design and setting. We look forward to your next trip.

All the best,

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

The Delano had a very peaceful decor to it. The room I stayed in was very serene and relaxing. The pool was fabulous and the staff was very accomodating.

Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
DelanoGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2010
Thank you! I am happy that you found your stay dreamy and our staff attentive; our aim is to deliver just that experience. We look forward to your next visit.

toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at the Delano. Staff were excellent. Service by the pool was great. Other than the white painted floors and the miniscule bathrooms, the room was more than acceptable. Keep in mind this was an old hotel converted into a modern high end hotel, so many of the existing features remain. Great location as well.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
DelanoGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
Thank you for your recent visit and for this great review. Yes, we are focused on the service--or better yet, we focus on you with the service. As you and so many others have commented, our pool staff, like the rest of the team, is top notch--the best on the beach! Yes, our footprint is that of a 1947 hotel; as such, our bathrooms are on the smaller side. But the style and overall vibe of Delano is unique and beyond amazing. Thank you for staying with us and experiencing this for yourself. We hope to see you again soon.

Ellis

Been to Delano South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!