“Classy , quirky , cool” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Delano South Beach Hotel

You added Delano South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Delano South Beach Hotel
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   1685 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Delano Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #43 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Classy , quirky , cool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Delano at the end of a 2 week tour of Florida . We were recommended to the hotel by friends and we were not disappointed. It is very expensive and the rooms are small particularly the bathrooms but very stylish and there is everything you need . We asked at check in for a view of the beach and were moved to a partial city, partial beach view which was great. We were near the lift and I agree with other reviewers that this, the corridor and doors are all quite noisy. I found all staff to be polite , welcoming and friendly, service at the pool was excellent and the atmosphere fabulous . Our kids 17 and 13 loved it and we would all go back again, we didn't have to pay for toiletries there were small trial size available in the shower and at the sink the charge would be for full size versions and trial size were replaced as they were
used . Overall we loved the hotel , it's location and it's surroundings . Valet parking is expensive but isn't it always in a city centre hotel???

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

The location and layout is great however the service is a 2 star standard. The rooms can be painfully noisy as there's not a good insulation, so expect hearing door slamming and people's steps in the hallway.
The front desk are unbelievably inflexible. I can't believe arguing with the manager in a 5 star hotel about late checkout. Most planes to Canada are late in the afternoon and late checkout should be complimentary especially when a hotel claims to be a 5 stars one. Other hotels give you up to 3-4pm, while this hotel said they would give till 1pm, which is basically the standard for a 4-5 star hotel. The manager was then arguing that the checkout is actually till 12pm but they are doing us a favor by making it till 1pm. They asked us to pay $100 for each extra hour we intended to stay after 1pm.
In summary, my wife and I were shocked that such unprofessional attitude exist in well respected hotel like the Delano.

• Stayed August 2014
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Mozyal,
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review. I would like to apologize about the noise you encountered while staying with us. Regarding your comment about the late check-out, it should never come to a point to where a guest has to argue to get what they are requesting, however, certain days are much busier than others. Our availability at the time of inquiry would determine whether or not we can honor a request such as this at no charge. We are sympathetic to the fact that some of our guests have flights later in the evening and we will do our best to accommodate them, but I am sorry that what was offered to you was not satisfactory. If the manager you spoke with mentioned that there would be a charge incurred if you stayed later in the room, this means that the room category you are in is very limited/sold out and in order to justify you staying in the room well beyond the 12 noon check out, we would need to charge for this. A late check-out from a limited/sold-out room category would displace a guest coming into that room and would hinder housekeeping operations. Our check out time is at 12 noon and this would have been communicated in your reservation confirmation, but I apologize if you had missed this. In a good bit of cases we are able to extend the room until 1pm at no charge as we would still be able to get the room prepared for another guest. We also offer the option of storing your baggage until you are ready to leave the hotel, and if you need to shower or freshen up, instead of paying for a late check-out you could pay an insignificant facility fee and clean up in our spa. We exhaust all efforts to ensure that our guests have a wonderful experience, so please understand that if we were able to honor a complementary late check-out on the day you departed, it would have been done on the spot.
Wishing you the best,
Dwight
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

My husband and I visited the Delano two weeks ago and had a great time. We have stayed all over South Beach and were excited to finally cross the Delano off the list.

We had a spacious Ocean-view room and a large bathroom (Malin and Goetz products). We like the location - above Ocean and on the water. Our one complaint was that the air-conditioning barely worked - not great when it's that hot. We had them bring up a fan which helped, and they offered to move us on our final night but it wasn't worth the hassle. I was surprised to not hear from a manager about the inconvenience. We were on a high floor so it was quiet.

Other than the one hiccup, we had a great stay. We had a lot of fun at the pool - delicious drinks and great/friendly service. I think it's a spot-on poolside menu - lots of lighter items with the obligatory burger. We spent one morning out at the beach and had a blast (did not order drinks - too hot for them to take the trip from the pool bar). We had not been to South Beach in August before - lots of European families and very warm ocean water.

Overall - Delano is a fun and trendy hotel, sometimes overpriced but that's South Beach

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

It is a fun hotel.
The Sushi bar is a social area where you can chat with other guests.
The spa on the top floor is indulging. There is even a private sun-bathing area, where you work on your tan, as god created us.
The swimming pool is so full of fun and alcohol, that it made me feel like I was in a middle of a party.
Also - the direct access to the beach, made my husband and I strolled early in the morning, and enjoy some couple time/
W were disappointed about the small gym - so unattractive!
Our room was small and the way the towels were folded in the tiny bathroom, made them wet after 1 shower.
But it is a place, where you would like to spend more time outside your tiny room anyway.
So our experience was good.

Room Tip: Try to get a bigger room!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Chef Phillip Stephenson and our server Danie were amazing! The food at Bianca was 5 star and so was the service. They were very charming and wonderful. This hotel/restaurant is a must visit. Thank you for a wonderful day:)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Me and a group of 9 of my friends stayed at the Delano for the weekend to celebrate one of our friends 21st birthday. We walked into a trendy lobby with dim lights, surrounded by white all over, with chill lounge music playing everywhere. The staff were friendly, nice and the check-in process was fast. They were helpful in suggesting places for us to celebrate, including the in-house club, FDR. The rooms weren't the biggest, but they were nice. The pool was beautiful, with guests hanging out in cabanas till late evening. There was easy access to the beach, which was convenient. It was heaven waking up on Saturday and Sunday, coming down to lay by the pool, listen to some good music and enjoy some mimosas. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights at the hotel Delano and we were very very disappointed. we expected more for what we've payed. We did not feel welcome at all.
the service was rude, the rooms not clean (dirty towels, wet floor from the air conditioner etc.). furthermore, it was very loud! we are not very sensitive when it comes to loudness (we went quite late to bed) but the doors were banging everytime another guest left / entered the room. furthermore, the toilet was defect and made a horrible noise all night long.

all in all: one of the worst hotel we've ever stayed in!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear 895Sebn895,
I am sorry your experience with us left you feeling underwhelmed. All of the issues you encountered with the room are easily rectifiable and I am certain our team could have effortlessly resolved this in it entirety given the opportunity. Never the less, I apologize about what you had endured. We invest a lot of time and effort in our staff to ensure they deliver the spectacular service Delano has become known for. Your comment about not feeling welcomed and service being rude is very concerning to me and I invite you to contact me directly regarding this. I would like to know the specifics as to why you felt this way; you can contact me at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com. I assure you, that what you experienced is not typical of Delano or its service. I would greatly appreciate it if you gave us another chance so that I can personally change you impression of Delano for the better.
Kind regards,
Dwight

Been to Delano South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!