“Fab Service and a great time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Delano South Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Delano South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Delano South Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1685 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Delano Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #43 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Fab Service and a great time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

My husband and I visited the Delano two weeks ago and had a great time. We have stayed all over South Beach and were excited to finally cross the Delano off the list.

We had a spacious Ocean-view room and a large bathroom (Malin and Goetz products). We like the location - above Ocean and on the water. Our one complaint was that the air-conditioning barely worked - not great when it's that hot. We had them bring up a fan which helped, and they offered to move us on our final night but it wasn't worth the hassle. I was surprised to not hear from a manager about the inconvenience. We were on a high floor so it was quiet.

Other than the one hiccup, we had a great stay. We had a lot of fun at the pool - delicious drinks and great/friendly service. I think it's a spot-on poolside menu - lots of lighter items with the obligatory burger. We spent one morning out at the beach and had a blast (did not order drinks - too hot for them to take the trip from the pool bar). We had not been to South Beach in August before - lots of European families and very warm ocean water.

Overall - Delano is a fun and trendy hotel, sometimes overpriced but that's South Beach

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

It is a fun hotel.
The Sushi bar is a social area where you can chat with other guests.
The spa on the top floor is indulging. There is even a private sun-bathing area, where you work on your tan, as god created us.
The swimming pool is so full of fun and alcohol, that it made me feel like I was in a middle of a party.
Also - the direct access to the beach, made my husband and I strolled early in the morning, and enjoy some couple time/
W were disappointed about the small gym - so unattractive!
Our room was small and the way the towels were folded in the tiny bathroom, made them wet after 1 shower.
But it is a place, where you would like to spend more time outside your tiny room anyway.
So our experience was good.

Room Tip: Try to get a bigger room!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Chef Phillip Stephenson and our server Danie were amazing! The food at Bianca was 5 star and so was the service. They were very charming and wonderful. This hotel/restaurant is a must visit. Thank you for a wonderful day:)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Me and a group of 9 of my friends stayed at the Delano for the weekend to celebrate one of our friends 21st birthday. We walked into a trendy lobby with dim lights, surrounded by white all over, with chill lounge music playing everywhere. The staff were friendly, nice and the check-in process was fast. They were helpful in suggesting places for us to celebrate, including the in-house club, FDR. The rooms weren't the biggest, but they were nice. The pool was beautiful, with guests hanging out in cabanas till late evening. There was easy access to the beach, which was convenient. It was heaven waking up on Saturday and Sunday, coming down to lay by the pool, listen to some good music and enjoy some mimosas. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights at the hotel Delano and we were very very disappointed. we expected more for what we've payed. We did not feel welcome at all.
the service was rude, the rooms not clean (dirty towels, wet floor from the air conditioner etc.). furthermore, it was very loud! we are not very sensitive when it comes to loudness (we went quite late to bed) but the doors were banging everytime another guest left / entered the room. furthermore, the toilet was defect and made a horrible noise all night long.

all in all: one of the worst hotel we've ever stayed in!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear 895Sebn895,
I am sorry your experience with us left you feeling underwhelmed. All of the issues you encountered with the room are easily rectifiable and I am certain our team could have effortlessly resolved this in it entirety given the opportunity. Never the less, I apologize about what you had endured. We invest a lot of time and effort in our staff to ensure they deliver the spectacular service Delano has become known for. Your comment about not feeling welcomed and service being rude is very concerning to me and I invite you to contact me directly regarding this. I would like to know the specifics as to why you felt this way; you can contact me at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com. I assure you, that what you experienced is not typical of Delano or its service. I would greatly appreciate it if you gave us another chance so that I can personally change you impression of Delano for the better.
Kind regards,
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

My friend and I staid at Delano for two nights in August 2014.
What is good about delano:
- very classy lobby, swimming pool and restaurant
- design furniture and soft lighting makes the scenery very charming for visitors
What is bad about delano:
- we were assigned a very small room. There was no space for our luggages. The bathroom was a sort of a !cage' very small, one lavatory only and very small shower. Moreover it was without window and with no ventilation.
- We booked an ocean view room for1.200 dollars for two nights. The room was in front of the elevator, very noisy and the ocean view was just partial.
- the continental breakfast included in the room rate was just a joke!
You have to pay a la carte a ridiculous price to get simple scrambled eggs ! The buffet only includes some fruits and a very poor and low quality selection of pastries
- wifi was at additional charge
- the people at the reception were very unprofessional... Although friendly.
Initially they could not find our reservation and we had to wait for half an hour to get a room. Afterwards, They claimed breakfast was not included in our rate and we had to show our email confirmation to get what we had paid for.
We asked to park our car while waiting to do our check in and they charged us 40 dollars as per one night parking ......
The gym was at LL level very dirty and really unpleasant to go to.
All in all avoid delano as accommodation but definitively go for a drink !

Room Tip: The rooms are not up to standards with v low quality for money. Don't waste your money asking f...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear Rosa C
Thank you for your review. I am happy to see that you did find the hotel somewhat enjoyable, but I would like to apologize about issues you encountered. Most hotel rooms in Miami Beach are on the smaller side and we do advertise full details (including size) of our rooms on our website. We also offer larger rooms which may have been more accommodating for you. You mentioned that the room was without window and with no ventilation; I do not fully understand this comment as all of rooms have windows which can be opened.
With regard to the continental breakfast, they are limited by nature but we take great steps to ensure that ours is above the standard. We offer several selections of breads, cereals, pastries, fruits, and bagels. As you can imagine, developing a buffet that caters to everyone’s taste is extremely difficult, but I do apologize that the continental breakfast was not up to your expectations.
Our staff, including reception, are among some of the most considerate talented and proficient individuals in Miami Beach. I am sorry if you found them unprofessional. I invite you to contact me directly at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com as I would like to have further details as to why you felt this way.
I am sorry about the delay in check in you had. We did experience some issues with our reservations department recently which caused this anomaly to occur with your reservation, including the miscommunication about the breakfast being included. This is not an excuse just an explanation as to what happened.
Regarding your parking charge, we do provide valet service for our guests and charge $37 to stay overnight. These prices are posted by our valet podium. Prices do vary depending on the hotel but the vast majority of hotels in Miami Beach incorporate a very similar practice.
I will also be addressing your concern about the cleanliness of our gym facilities with our director of housekeeping.
I would greatly like the opportunity to change your impression for the better of our accommodations. I would make it my personal goal to ensure that your next experience is nothing short of amazing. Please feel free to reach out to me directly, I am happy to help in any way I can.
All the best,
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I came on a Sunday was supposed to leave on Wednesday and I wanted to leave as soon as I saw my room.. i didn't even stay for 24 hrs .. this place was terrible and over priced and when I went to take a shower in the (closet )i mean bathroom(the closet is actually bigger than the bathroom. . No lie . The bathroom like a box . I cried due to being miserable in this place .. the trial size shampoo and soaps in the hotel room were so expensive I ended up going to Walgreens down the block to buy everything I needed..(and the liquor store due to the hotel bar at the delano charging me 52 dollars for 2 coke and Hennessey drinks ).. when I went to check out the next day because i woke up &I couldn't take it anymore I was alil put off by when the guy at the front desk saying to me I wasn't schedule to leave til Wednesday when I told him I'm not happy here he didn't even try to make things right or ask me if there is anything he can do to make my stay better .. most likely I would have declined but I think he could have offered something but then again maybe they knew this place is a dump ..& they couldn't fix it .. they do not have bamboo floors in the rooms as stated it is a slab of white painted concrete.. all the white Room was missing a straight jacket cause all that white especially the padded white headboard drove me insane .. i ended up at the Seagate hotel in del ray beach and was very much satisfied with my stay there it was cleaner and didn't have a funny just paint smell and my cousin room smelled as if they covered the mold smell with paint at the delano .. i really hated coming here and I will never recommend this place .. this place totally turned me off from Miami ...the delano is absolutely terrible terrible and needs new everything. .

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Dear jgrey630,
It is always off-putting when our guests do not have a wonderful experience and I would like to apologize that. Regarding the décor and size of the rooms, this information is readily available and clearly stated on our website. There are also pictures of what the rooms look like so you could have a good idea of what you are actually booking. We also offer a variety of rooming options that do have bigger bathrooms. While there are “for sale” bathroom products wrapped in plastic, there are smaller versions of the exact same product for complementary use that are not wrapped and are replenished daily. The floors in our rooms are bamboo wood floors, not concrete painted white as you described. Over time, the touch up paint work that is done in the rooms does fill up the creases in the floor, which can sometimes give the impression that the floor is just concrete. I am sorry that you felt the drinks were too expensive. The prices that we have set in any of our food and beverage venues are comparable (and sometimes less costly) to any high end restaurant, bar, night club, or lounge in Miami Beach. We pride ourselves on delivering outstanding service and creating memorable stays for our guests. When any of our guests express dissatisfaction we will try to do whatever we can to turn your stay around. I apologize that the gentlemen you dealt with at check-out did not try to make it right; however, taking your review in its entirety into consideration, it seems as if most of your issues were with the room design itself. The vast majority of our guests love the rooms and décor, but we do sometimes have guests that do not like our design. We want you to have the best possible experience when staying in Miami, but if you truly did not want to stay with us because the room was not to your liking and decided to leave because of that we will not fight you to stay with us. You even admitted that you probably would have declined whatever may have been offered, but again I apologize that the gentleman did not try to remedy your issues. I am troubled that we were not able to make your stay special, but I am happy to see that you found solace at the Seagate in Del Ray Beach.
Wishing you the best,
Dwight

Been to Delano South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!