“Scams abound” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Delano South Beach Hotel

You added Delano South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Delano South Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1685 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Delano Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #50 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Nashville, Tennessee
“Scams abound”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Having been to many of the finest hotels in the world, I was quite looking forward to an anniversary weekend at the Delano with my wife. While the vibe is great at night, there are many annoyances by day that should not be present at this price point. When one goes to the pool at 9a and every seat is empty yet one is told they are all "reserved" you are certain something is rotten. So you are offered tables by the pool bar and you sit and notice that at 11:30am most of the chaises are STILL empty. To add insult to injury they are constructing a giant tent and fence on the beach for some future festival so if you want to go to the beach you have to walk 2 blocks around it.

When we ask if we can reserve chairs for the next day we are told they do not take reservations, yet every day the chairs are reserved? It appears if you are not from the east coast nor have "that look" you do not get a pool chaise. As two senior executives with Fortune 500 firms, we don't exactly look like steerage refugees. From what we observed though, being an obnoxious drunk did not keep some from getting chaises - apparently they had "the look."

I'm told all the Morgans Hotels have these little scams working. Sorry, but when you're paying $800 per night you expect better than being treated like one of South Beaches' many homeless vagrants who hopped the fence. There are better places in South Beach where you do not get abused for a high rate.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear NvrEnuffBeach,

Thank you for your review and please allow me to apologize about your experience. It seems as though your review focus’ mainly on the pool chair availability and not so much the whole hotel, never the less, I completely understand how one negative occurrence can over shadow that of the entire experience. While pool chairs cannot be reserved for the day, we will on occasion, hold the chairs directly in front of bungalows, for the guests staying in those suites until 11:30am, after which they are released on a first come first serve basis. I assure you that there is no scam of any sort going on, and to say that all Morgan’s Hotels are like this is completely untrue. I want to also shed some light on the tent being constructed you mentioned. The tent you are referring to (although is directly behind the hotel on the beach) is not associated with Delano, and is actually part of the South Beach Food and Wine Festival. This circumstance is, unfortunately, out of the control of the hotel as permits were granted by the city of Miami Beach to place the tent where it is now. I apologize for the inconvenience that the construction presented. I will personally meet with our pool staff to ensure that what you experienced does not happen to another guest and that our protocols are properly communicated. If you are interested in returning, I am more than happy to assist you in any way I can. Please feel free to reach out to me at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com.

All the best,
Dwight

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

This place is awesome!! The location is great, the hotel/venue/pool are gorgeous, and the atmosphere is fantastic. Late night by the pool was wonderful and the DJ was great. I can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Although the hotel offers a good first impression with a good location, it aspires to be uber chic but seems a bit contrived. Our bedroom was stylish, but the bathroom was almost impossibly small. Food and beverage over priced for what is delivered. If looking for service and style you can do better elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Rhodes, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

We booked this hotel last december in order to spend some of our honeymoon holidays there.
Our first impression from the lobby was very nice. However, once we got in the room we were deeply disappointed. Small, old, even though cleaned and nicely decorated. Definitely no value for money. Thankfully the staff of the reception was exceptional and tried to help us by upgrading to another room in higher floor. Guess what. Same room, different floor. Went back to the reception again and complained heavily as this was our honeymoon and we would not accept to stay in such a room, especially after the amount of money we spent for it. Special thanks to the ladies who understood and changed the room once more. This one was better but definitely not worth the money spent.
We had dinner at the restaurant facing the pool, once. The food was great and you should definitely try it.
Overall, we found this hotel overpriced and we would not visit it again, even though the staff was really helpful and gave their best.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Fairfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We were down here for four nights for my boyfriend to run the marathon and celebrate my 30th birthday. Upon arriving I was blown away by the first step into the lobby. It is beautifully decorated, simple but totally hip. The staff at the desk was nice and accommodating. The pool scene is by far the best I've had at a stay in Miami so far. The beach was also nice, although the one day we spent out there they didn't have towels for a while which I found odd, either way it didn't damped my enjoyment at all. The pool staff was awesome though. Always available to get you a chair (when they are available) and assist in anyway they can. There are servers for 2 groupings of chairs at a time, so 8 total and it is really nice because they are not overwhelmed by the amount of people but can give the attention expected at a hotel like the Delano.

The fish tacos at the bar by the pool - out of this world, I reviewed a place in Grand Cayman, http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147367-d1046165-r114261949-Sunshine_Grill-Seven_Mile_Beach_Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html and they I thought had some pretty serious fish tacos, the Delano is right up there with these guys. Plus the staff is awesome (Jeremy was on the bar when we arrived). The food at Bianca the restaurant is great too although we only had breakfast here a few times. It was all fresh and arrived promptly.

The sushi restaurant in the hotel is also really fabulous. We ordered it and had it delivered to our room - talk about awesome service. There was almost no wait and it was DELICIOUS.

Since we were here celebrating my 30th my boyfriend made arrangements with Pedro at the concierge desk and he did not disappoint. Got us into great restaurants and clubs with no issues. There was a bottle of champagne delivered to our room on my actually birthday and since I am a sun lover the staff was in our room and replaced the ice twice - the attention to detail is superb.

I would agree with other posters the bathrooms are TINY and for such a nice hotel I was surprised with the low end hairdryer (although I was glad I didn't have to pack one). I did notice there was no shower caps available either, however I did not ask for one but am confident they would have been able to provide it.

My only complaint about this hotel is the elevators. They are EXTREMELY slow and seem to be malfunctioning more than they were functioning. There were times when the full elevator with buttons all above Floor 4 were pressed but we ended up on the bottom level, back to the main level, then to the office level and back to the main floor before it finally went up to the guest rooms. A friend of mine that was staying here to run the marathon actually got stuck in the elevator on Sunday for a while, which was awful for her.

Bottom line - great hotel, fabulous food, amazing pool scene, the staff's attention level is perfect. I would totally stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view - you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

still maintains being one of the premier spots in south beach, nice rooms, good food and a great pool wit a great crowd, always busy morning till late, would definitely consider staying there again, walking distance to all prime spots in south beach

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went down to The Delano for an event in South Beach. We brought our 8 month old daughter. The staff was excellent. Always going above and beyond great service for us. Our accommodations were beautiful! Our room had a great view of the ocean. The food at both restaurants was excellent. Had sushi in the lobby for dinner and the brunch is excellent. We are looking forward to our next event in South Beach or any excuse to stay at the Delano. Thank you for treating us like family!

Stayed January 2014

Been to Delano South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!