“A Luxury Hotel that just misses the finer points.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Delano South Beach Hotel

You added Delano South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Delano South Beach Hotel
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   1685 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Delano Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #43 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“A Luxury Hotel that just misses the finer points.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stayed here from the 9th to the 21st October, 2013 and mostly enjoyed The Delano experience. The hotel is well appointed on first sight and I checked in satisfactorily at the Front Desk and was then escorted to my full sea view room by a very charming and helpful Andreas.
This room did not meet my expectations as it was quite small and the noise from the giant air conditioning units outside was disruptive so Andreas helped me find another room.
The next room I chose was a suite at extra cost per night. It was much roomier with more hanging space for clothes and a beautiful seating area and small outside terrace.
As it was evening time when I arrived in this suite, I didn't notice until the following morning that from the side window, the outlook was not good. It was a view of most of the hotel's windows, all overlooking an area which looked similar to a building site. A very untidy mixture of old buckets, cables, ladders and other bits of old trivia, all surrounded by stagnant water. The scene was dirty and grey. The outlook from the front of my suite overlooked the pool and beyond to the beach.

I was quite dismayed to see in the breakfast area that the seat covers all appeared to have stains and marks on them. I thought it was demeaning for a five-star hotel to expect guests to sit on such dirty covers but nobody else seemed to mind so I did not remark. I encountered this on other tables in the area and took particular note to have a good look at the rest of the seating area. All of the seats had dirty covers.
The staff who were on duty at breakfast were exemplary - always ready to serve and very polite and charming.
The buffet breakfast to which I was entitled was good.

The pool and poolside amenities were first rate and the staff there could not have been more helpful. Benito, Roberto, Marco, Soledad, Solomon, Lawrie to name but a few really made the holiday what it was. Even on the most busiest of mornings, I was found a sun lounger with the promise of a further move should I require it. I can honestly say that these boys and girls did look after their guests with the utmost caring.
The poolside snacks were very good.

I noticed on an evening when the poolside staff were covering up the sun loungers for the night, the same stains and marks were apparent on these removable covers as can be seen in the breakfast room. It does make me wonder that maybe management at The Delano are seeing the bigger picture but missing the small details that would make this hotel a complete delight. I am amazed that this five-star hotel expects its evening visitors to the pool area, to sit in their finery on such dirty seats. I would have thought that with these covers being removable, a spare set could be used when one set was being laundered.

The two downside experiences I encountered were: A giant cockroach was lurking in my shower early into my holiday. I was very frightened as we seldom come across these creatures in our homes in the UK. I covered it up with a towel as I didn't want to squash it in case it was an egg-laden female. This action may have caused more harm than good. I rang Housekeeping and someone came immediately and removed said cockroach, still wrapped up in its towel. I then had a visit from Head of Housekeeping who assured me that "this sort of thing never happens". Apparently the rooms are sprayed with an anti-infestational spray weekly. I was, however, not convinced that this practice was successful and spent the rest of the holiday fretting that I might have another visit from such creatures. I made sure I blocked the shower waste plughole up with damp towels to prevent any further occurrence.

My other problems were that nearly everyday, my keycard did not allow me entry to either of my two doors. I did waste a considerable amount of time queueing up at Front Desk for replacement keys. Sometimes, I was lucky enough to meet a housekeeper in the corridor who would allow me entry and on another occasion, I was allowed entry by Security staff. These episodes were annoying in the sense that it was exasperating and needless in a five-star hotel. This occurrence was practically daily. I was assured that the door locks would be attended to but this obviously never happened.

Concierge were quite helpful but I got the feeling that they didn't want to make the effort and it took some time for them to actually look up at me. I was given erroneous information from D'Michael Haas regarding the courtesy bus service that operates from the nearby Ritz Carlton Hotel to the Aventura Mall. He printed the bus timetable for me but when I arrived at the Ritz Carlton to take said bus, we were told that the service had been withdrawn around two weeks prior. This was another waste of time, waiting for a bus that didn't exist. We never saw D'Michael again with whom to mention this lapse.

I met a Front Desk Manager, Jennifer, towards the last couple of days of the holiday. I mentioned to her my problem with the door keys and she showed due concern and even went up to have a look for herself.
I asked her if I may keep the suite on for a few hours extra on my departure date as I was flying back to the UK in the evening. Jennifer immediately found out that this was indeed possible and I was able to spend the last day in comfort, not having to rush to pack my bags and vacate the suite at the normal time. Thank You, Jennifer, for this. I notice that I was not charged for this extra and I thank Jennifer and The Delano management for this. I appreciate this touch. I was, however, erroneously charged a fee of $59 for in-room bar food that I did not have. This was rectified by Sheerley on checkout.

I completed The Online Delano Questionnaire upon my return, adding that I would like feedback but since that date, nearly two weeks have passed and I have heard nothing.

I would not go back to The Delano for another holiday as my experiences marred what could have been a thoroughly excellent vacation. In my opinion, the huge amount of money that is charged by The Delano in regards to accommodation, does not match the apparent reputation that this hotel holds. My suite room number was 603. JJ - 5th November 2013.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear JennyJay2013,
Thank you for your very thorough and detailed review. I am happy to hear that you did enjoy you experience for the most part, but the issues you mentioned are very concerning. In regard to your comment about the restaurants seat covers and the pool bed covers, we are in the process of obtaining all new covers for every chair in the restaurant and every bed in the pool area; needless to say it is unacceptable. I assure you that this is not a detail that is over looked, but please understand that a majority of the furniture pieces in the hotel (in this case the seat and bed covers) we have custom made and take time to be prepared and shipped to the hotel.
Since your stay we have re-vamped our procedures with regard to issuing guest’s room keys for suites and the key issues you experience have been resolved.
I do apologize for the experience you went through with the cockroach; I surely understand how something like that can put a serious damper on an already rocky hotel stay. To reiterate what our housekeeping Head said, this is an extremely rare occurrence, and we do take necessary steps to ensure that this does not happen by having weekly exterminator visits. I will ensure we explore more options to make certain that this does not occur with other hotel guest.
I have personally addressed your concern with regard to the information the concierges give out to guarantee we have the most current and up to date information available. I do apologize if you felt the concierges were being in attentive. Our concierges are some of the best in Miami Beach and are usually on point with all information and happenings in the area. Your incident in this regard is not typical of our concierges and they are always more than willing to go above & beyond for our guests.
I will be forwarding all the positives you touched on to all the employees you mentioned. I would also like to invite you back and I will make it a personal goal to ensure that your next experience will be nothing short of perfect. I invite you to contact me directly so that I may personally handle your accommodations. You may reach me at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com. Thank you for your enlightening review and I look forward to hearing from you.
Dwight

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I recently celebrated a friends bday at the Delano. Dwight and Jose were helpful in setting up the accommodations and ensured that I had everything I needed throughout my stay.

We become best friends with Melissa, Kelly, and Martin.

Also, Marco, Mauricio, Julia, Christa, and Coco, were extremely helpful poolside.

They became part of the family. Julian, Ulysses, Darien and Yves become immediate friends and couldn’t have been any nicer.

Nick, the bar manager, went above and beyond. He walked us into FDR, made sure we were comfortable, and followed up with us the next day. I forgot my credit card at the pool bar and Nick and Melissa found me to ensure I didn’t leave it behind.

Room Tip: ocean view . . . it is worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for your glowing review Rafael. The staff is definitely the #1 asset at Delano and you seem to have experienced the feel in which we are going for. I will be sure to forward your inspiring comments to all the employees you mentioned. Please feel free to reach out to me directly when you are looking to return. You can reach me at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com and again thank you for taking the time to complete this review, it’s greatly appreciated!
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have been twice at the Rose Bar and they were very nice experience and so I decided to book a night at the Delano Hotel. I chose the Delano for its location in the heart of South Beach, history, atmosphere, style and charm. We booked a package, “Experience South Beach” that included “overnight accommodation, $100 hotel credit per night and daily continental breakfast for two”. We were not so lucky, infact we stayed at Delano Hotel a Sunday night in August 2013.
From the moment we arrived on property, unfortunately there were too mamy mistakes to decide going back to Delano Hotel (especially my husband was very disappointed). We check in at 5 pm, and the staff in general was not really welcoming (car valet was very rude and dismissive, no doorman and no concierge).
Rooms at Delano are completely white and very elegant. Everything was clean. The Location is perfect, the décor and all furniture are very beautiful. The shop box is a bit “…” and the price on the flip flops is not very elegant!
The pool area was crowded and seemed to be in an all inclusive resort than in a 5 stars hotel. Every two seconds we were stopped by the hotel staff asking us if we were check in or visitors and to show the room key; so, I decided to hold and show the room key, to avoid being stopped.
We decided to leave the hotel because it was impossibly enjoy and relax. In the evening, when we came back the atmosphere was much more calm and relaxed, and when I asked some information at the reception, the staff told me that on Sunday afternoon, the pool area is also open to outside guests. I suggest to inform guests who book Sunday night about this situation. We decided to have a drink at Rose Bar. The atmosphere was nice. Monday morning at 8 am the pool area was very quiet and confortable, but not sun! The breakfast buffet offers a really small selection of things. Of course, continental breakfast buffet is limited and is not as an American breakfast buffet but I expected more by a 5 stars hotel: this continental breakfast buffet was just ok, very minimal ! Anyway, we ordered two omelette a la carte and they were not so good. When the waitress asked if the omelettes were good and I said no, she just said "I am sorry", considering it was early morning, the breakfast room was not crowded and the other people were eating at the buffet, I would have expected greater interest to my complain. Very disappointing with the breakfast.
At the check out, the bill was what I expected. After leaving the hotel, I noted that the bill in the envelope was different from the bill that the staff at the reception showed me and I noted that the breakfast was totally added to us and not used the 100$ credit. 100$ credit was used for valet parking and rose bar only. After several requests and emails, we didn't even had an answer from the Delano! I don't understand why a boutique and 5 stars hotel doesn't even answer to a client request. At the end, I decided to resolve with American Express and they refunded the money paid extra. Unfortunately I do not think they have contacted the Delano. Not great experience at the Delano Hotel and not quite what we expected.
Sorry if my English is not perfect but I am not English mother tongue.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Hi FredericaRoma_Italy,

Thank you for giving your review.
With regard to valet being rude and dismissive, I have never received this complaint before. Our valet staff is always eager to assist and is very welcoming. Did you have a car in valet or did you arrive in taxi cab? You also mentioned that there were no doorman and no concierge; was this during you arrival or during your entire stay? This is very concerning to me and I ask this because we have both doormen and concierges working until the late evening everyday and are always present in the lobby.

On Sunday’s (and most weekend days during the summer) our pool area is very crowded as our occupancy is higher during the weekend; most guests that come to the pool are looking for a more energetic and upbeat scene; I am sorry it was not as relaxing as you hoped it would be. I also find it unacceptable, but also very hard to believe that “every two seconds you were stopped by the hotel staff”. Our security/hotel staff does not patrol the pool area, questioning guests or patrons about their guest status in the hotel. Our security staff is positioned at the entrance of the pool to ensure that registered hotel guests are properly directed, as non-guests are re-directed to enter the pool from another area. Our security staff does ask for your name& room number or to provide your room key when you enter the pool area for verification purposes. These particular staff members do rotate their posts around the hotel, so if you left and returned to the pool area multiple times then it is likely you would have been stopped by a different staff member, but only upon entrance to the pool area. I apologize that you did not know about the Sunday pool party, but this event is promoted through every major social media network, flyers for the pool party (as well as any other hotel events) are readily available from the front & concierge desk, and these same flyers are also as in all guest rooms. Unfortunately, it is impossible for us to inform each of our guests that book a stay on a Sunday that there will be a pool party. There are literally hundreds of booking avenues and we do not control the 100% of the content publicized on our online travel agent sites. I can tell you however, that our guests have full priority over non-guests and that we are obsessively selective with whom we allow access to our property on Sunday. We never allow the additional "outsiders" to compromise our ambiance. If they don't add to the scene, they don't come in.

With regard to the continental breakfast, they are limited by nature but we take great steps to ensure that ours is above the standard. We offer several selections of breads, cereals, pastries, fruits, and bagels. As you can imagine, developing a buffet that caters to everyone’s taste is extremely difficult, but I do apologize that the continental breakfast was not up to your expectations.

In regard to your bill, I would really like to know where you were sending your email requests. Had I or anyone in my department received this information, we would have happily taken care of whatever billing issues you encountered. It seems as if there is a misunderstanding about the use of the $100 credit. It is indeed a credit, however, the “Experience More South Beach” Package is a DAILY credit (based on the number of nights you stay), that must be used entirely on the day you arrive and any remaining balance of that credit not used before the day of your departure, would be lost. We are always happy to work with our guests and in a majority of these type of cases we will still honor the credit even though it has technically been lost.

Please contact me directly so that we may discuss in detail the specifics about your arrival, and your billing issues. You can reach me at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com.

Thank you for taking the time to detail this valuable feedback. It is not lost on us that we can always improve and there are no better people to give the direction than our guests.

Helsingborg, Skåne Län, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I highly recommend the Delano South Beach Hotel, It was great experience again to be back at the hotel. We enjoyed a relaxing vacation with a fantastic service, I would like to especially mention "the pool" service experience, it was not just the sun that was shining, all staff did their utmost to make us comfortable, great food, great drinks and always a genuine service attitude from everyone :-)) We'll Be Back

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Hello MNI61,

Thank you for such an encouraging review. It is always pleasing to read reviews like this and that you had wonderful experiences with us. I will be sure to forward your kind and motivating words to our pool staff. Whenever you are ready to come back please free to reach out to me directly, I would be more happy to personally handle your reservation. You can reach me at Dwight.palacious@mhgc.com. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Can't beat the location of the Delano and the rooms are comfortable, clean, etc. The staff was amazing and very accomodating for needs while we were there on business. The $17 cocktails seemed a bit pricey. But my main gripe were the bagels!!! Definitely need a new distributor!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Good day Bill,

Thank you for taking a moment and completing this review. I am happy to see that you enjoyed the hotel overall and I apologize about the bagels being the issue that they were. I have forwarded your comment about the bagels to our Director or Food and Beverage, as well as our Executive chef; I will be conferring with them to make certain that this is properly addressed and fixed. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at Dwight.palacious@mhgc.com if you have any additional feedback or if you are looking to stay with us again.

Warmest regards,
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is one of the coolest hotels I have been through in the United States. The furniture and décor is incredible. We did not stay here but at the recommendation of a waitress came threw for a drink. It was one of my favorite evenings during my trip. After we looked at all the interesting furniture and décor we headed out to the pool bar for a drink. Again- this is a must see- the pool is beautiful at night and the atmosphere was fun but laid back-exactly what we were looking for. The drinks were fabulous.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hello beachbreeze66,

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review, we greatly appreciate your feedback. I am happy to read that you had a great experience at our hotel and more specifically the bar outlets. I know you were only here for drinks, but if you are ever interested in staying with please consider me your personal ally at Delano. You can reach me at Dwight.palacious@mhgc.com. Thank you again for your review and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

south yorkshire england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed here 16 to 18th of October we last stayed here 12 months ago, the staff greeted us like their friends as we arrived at the hotel. The gentleman on reception was very welcoming.
We had a front sea view well worth the money great view of the sun rise each morning
The cocktails either round the pool or the rose bar were very good !!! Never had so many
The beach staff were very friendly and remembered your name each day
Location is right in the centre of things

Room Tip: Front sea view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello 939Dawn,

Thank you for you for staying with us again and for taking the time to fill out such a kind review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the staff and your experience with us. Please feel free to contact to me at Dwight.palacious@mhgc.com whenever you are looking to return, I would be happy to help you with your next and future stays.

Warm regards,
Dwight

Been to Delano South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!