“A true gem in Sobe!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Delano South Beach Hotel

You added Delano South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Delano South Beach Hotel
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   1685 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Delano Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off - Best Rate
Ranked #36 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
NC
“A true gem in Sobe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We are now sadly returning home from four nights at the Delano in South Beach. Truly a wonderful experience. After reviewing many accounts on TA I decided that the Delano was the place for us. I had read many comments about Lee and his team and was impressed. I am a stickler for good service and it sounded like that was what the Delano was all about.

I sent a note to Lee a few days before arriving to ask a few questions. He was off that day but in spite of that answered within 5 minutes. He answered my questions and introduced me to Willy Garcia, the Concierge. Again, within minutes I had an email from him too. Ok, I'm already impressed.

We arrived at the hotel before 10 am, understanding a room would not be ready, we had packed a small bag with beach stuff. No problem. The terrific receptionist took a little time and found a great room that was ready. Bellman J.C. grabbed our bags and we made our way to the room. All the while J.C explained the hotel and its features with genuine pride. I liked the vibe already! The room was beautiful (thank you Lee!) with a great view of the beach. Done in all white, it was very classy. We unpacked our bags and went downstairs to meet Willy who then took us on a tour of the property ending at the beach. Willy had told me he would have a chair and umbrella reserved for me as it is a first come first serve arrangement. He suggested to the beach team (a separate company) to upgrade me and take care of me. Done! Front row bed with canopy -- thank you Willy! I can't handle lots of sun but because Willy made it happen I could enjoy more time on the beach with my wife.

The beach is very nice. There were times it was crowded but never too much. The team of servers (Delano employees) were awesome. Miguel in particular was always there with a smile, happy to make the run in to get drinks, food, whatever we needed. He couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Marco and Matthew were very nice too. The beach chair team (non Delano) were also great. Gleb greeted us by name every day and Sam set us up. Thanks guys, you were terrific.

The pool is very nice. We choose to spend our time at the beach instead but it looked great with enough chairs for all and again smiling, friendly staff to insure your every need was supplied.

We often had breakfast and lunch at Bianco, the restaurant in the hotel. It set on a level above the pool and the setting was very pretty. Food was excellent every time. Yes it is a bit expensive but worth it. If only to meet Etty and have the pleasure of her wonderful and friendly service! She needs to be cloned and duplicated many times over. When we thought of dining elsewhere we said, "no we need to go see Etty."

We had drinks one night in the Rose Bar. Fun! The bartender extraordinaire asked what we wanted or what flavors we liked and he would make it for us. I told him the flavors I liked and he came up with something unlike I had ever had and very tasty. Thanks Matthew! It's a very cool looking bar with a super friendly team.

The Bellman team was also great. Aldo, J.C. And all the others were only to happy to offer suggestions, chase down taxis, do whatever you needed done.

The lobby is very nice and open. A tropical paradise. There was a smell pumped in it that was intoxicating. Lee, if you read this please tell me what it is so I can duplicate it at home! Lots of unusual chairs and wonderful Miami music playing, never to loud, just right. I'd love to know the CDs to play at home as well. One night we just set in a couple comfy chairs and watched the DJ spin great tunes.

Its hard to walk threw a door and not have it held for you. It's impossible to pass an employee and not have them make eye contact and greet you. They all seem to genuinely care about their hotel and their guests. One told me he loved working for this company because they let you be yourself. It certainly works! You rarely find this kind of commitment. I am very impressed and appreciative.

We came to South Beach to experience something different than we have back home. There are cheaper places to stay and certainly to eat but we wanted to experience Sobe at its best. For us Delano did it. For us it was a great value. Unfortunately, I only have 10 vacation days a year. Yes that stinks! Because of that everyone of them needs to count! Delano, you gave us more than our moneys worth in a world that rarely does that.

Thanks go out to Lee, Willy, and each and every employee we came in contact with. You are the best. We will be back again and again!

Room Tip: The staff cannot be more accommodating. Offer them a smile and thanks in return and they will take e...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Polish first
Orlando, FL / Palm Springs, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Did you know that they have the best bartender in South Beach? His name is ARTURO, a really nice Peruvian guy. You will find him at the inside bar located near the pool area....Unbelievably helpful, a wealth of SouthBeach information...AND....he makes the most delicious Caipirinha ever....smooth and fantastic....was just there this afternoon and will be back again tomorrow!
Cheers! to ARTURO and as always, the wonderful Delano....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lugano, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

perfect location, Amazing pool and great staff.
i have been in miami several times in the last 5 years and tried few hotels but Delano it's with no doubts the best one.
rooms are unique and the view on the beach and the sea is beautiful. no downsides during my stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Rome, Lazio, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Facciata hotel molto bella, accesso x sedia a rotelle laterale attraverso le cucine, e le lavanderie... una sporcizia e un odore nauseabondo ! 3 hours of waiting to fix the room, and in the end we discover that my wife and I were on 2 separate beds! Despite booking months in advance ..
Very nice entrance, but for people on a wheelchair the entrance is in the side of the building through kitchens and laundries, with a smell and a dirt terrifying !!
3 hours of waiting to have the ADA room ready, and at the end we discover that my wife and I were on 2 separate beds! Despite booking months in advance ..
NO COMMENT !

• Stayed July 2013
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Hello Andrea D.,

I'm glad that we had the opportunity to meet upon check out. Had I not gotten the entire story from you, I would have been extremely concerned about my hotel staff's training in our ADA services. In light of the serious nature of your review and the indication that we do not take every possible measure to comfortably lodge any of our guests requiring ADA accommodations, I'm going to deliver a factual and direct response to your review so that you may be adequately informed before your next hotel stay. When you informed me that you had been using the employee entrance as an ADA ramp and that you very angry with the condition of the area, I was very concerned. This area is reserved for large deliveries, staff entrance and exit and the majority of our industrious operational activity. I immediately and profusely apologized and insisted (even against your wishes) that I personally walk yourself and your husband directly to our ADA entrance so that you knew where it was for the future. When I asked you who informed you to use our employee entrance as an ADA entrance, you wouldn't tell me. When we approached our actual ADA entrance you very abruptly told me that you already knew about that entrance and that the other one was closer so you prefer that one... I again made an attempt to apologize because you were upset about the proximity of the ADA entrance vs. the employee entrance to the hotel, but you wouldn't allow that and waived me off as if I was insulting you further by trying to help you.
Regarding the room: there are several notes made by your travel agent in your guest account advising that you would prefer a king bed. You were informed at the time of booking that a king bed in the ADA rooms would not be possible, and with this knowledge, you still booked the room with double beds.. There are 2 beds in all of our ADA rooms. This is an Art Deco building and was built long before existing specifications were created for ADA hotel requirements. Because of the way our rooms are laid out, our ADA rooms must have 2 double beds. Dictated by the US Dept. of Justice: Civil Rights Division, there is a very specific space requirement between the restroom door and the first obstruction (the beds). We have 2 separated beds so that it is comfortable for our guests to maneuver in and out of the restroom. We did not purposely give your husband and yourself two separate beds. Even though you knew when you booked it, and were again informed at check in, you demanded that we remove the double bed frames and replace them with a king bed. We didn't do that... because we can't do that in the 5 minutes from within you wanted it accomplished. We did however, disconnect one of the frames and push one of the beds against the second to create a king bed...All the while taking meticulous care to ensure your husband's comfort by not compromising any ADA requirements in the room. Over the many years that I've been here.. I can't remember even one occasion where we changed furniture in a room (with furniture that is not meant to be moved) to accommodate a guest with previous knowledge of the room type before check in.

If you or any reviewers take anything from this... this should be it: The staff at Delano will do nearly anything to ensure that our guests are not only looked after, but that they are genuinely cared for and recognized as family. This is a boutique hotel and service is expected to be good, our staff doesn't care what is expected anywhere else. When you're here, service won't be just "good", it will be genuine, exemplary, over the top, personal, thoughtful and better than most seasoned travelers expect to receive even at the most notable destinations... (there are nearly 700 reviews below this one that substantiate that fact) I, like the rest of my dedicated team, take what we do here very seriously and personally. Part of my job is to speak for Delano's staff that work desperately hard to ensure that your stay is perfect. They went above and beyond for you... I'm sorry that you weren't able to recognize that, but I do, and I'll write a ten page reply to any erroneously negative review if need be. As long as it gives them the pride and motivation to return to work and continue to keep Delano the special place that it is.

Have a nice day.

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We have stayed at the Delano each year for our anniversary for 6 or 7 years and don't typically write a review because I don't want everyone to discover this hotel. I'm writing this year because we did have a couple of minor room issues that my wife and I were just looking to have resolved while we were at the pool for the day, but instead when we brought them to the attention of the front desk they were very apologetic, understanding and immediately had us move rooms to an upgraded room. They also provided some other perks which were more than generous. During our stay, the two staff members at the front desk remembered us and continued to check back to see if our stay was going well. We later discovered that one of the persons was Lee Greenspan, the client relations manager, and were impressed that he takes the hotel's level of service this serious and works hard to satisfy his guests.

The Delano is truly a boutique hotel at the higher end of the price spectrum, but we stay there because that is the experience we are looking for. We understand that the Delano may not be for everyone, but if you still think it might be for you, then it probably is. Go and enjoy!

Room Tip: We have stayed all over the hotel and have not had a bad room!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hi Ken M,

I am very happy that you wrote this review. Although I planned to send you a private email; this gives me the opportunity to thank you publicly for the way that you handled what could have been a very difficult situation. As we discussed, often times when a hotel guest has a minor inconvenience at any hotel, the tendency is for that inconvenience to turn into a snowball effect... and that it did. When your wife and yourself came to desk and very graciously told us about the very uncharacteristic room issues that you had, I have to tell you, Stacy and I were very surprised...this was a new one for sure... and we have about 20 years hotel management experience between us. My point here is this: You refused to let this easily fixable situation ruin your trip. You were patient and kind and allowed us to resolve the issue. The majority of any hotel's most loyal guests have had a bad experience at their favorite hotel.. the trick is to allow staff to recover your stay. Personally, my job is to address guests that have a complaint or are unhappy with any aspect of their stay. I invariably become friends with these people and it's been proven to me time and again just how far a little compassion and genuine empathy can take you in both personal and professional relationships.
So thank you, and please thank your wife as well. You are both class acts and are exactly the type of guests that we love to have. Thank you for your loyalty, thank you for your review and thank you for your patience in allowing us to fix the bump in the road during your stay.
I'm available to you for your next trip. lee.greenpsanz@mhgc.com All you have to do is send me your dates and show up... I'll handle the rest!

All The Best,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

As other reviewers have said The Delano is an institution in SB and the beach and pool are gorgeous spots to while away the time and the hotel's location couldn't get any better. But the staff here are also amazing! The attendants at the door, pool and beach were friendly and quick to help and the bartenders really know their business. We went to celebrate my sister's birthday and I have to say Lee G., the manager of guest relations was a huge help in making this trip a truly memorable one. So thanks, Delano, for the memories, we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Rainbowdrops!

Thank you for the great review! I know this was an important trip for you and I'm glad the entire staff came through for you. They really are an extraordinary group of people and we're lucky to have each of them. I usually just relay information and follow up, but the team on the front line making it all happen are truly pros. I will share this with them asap as well. From the title of your review, it seems safe to assume that you won't be staying anywhere else in Miami.... so, when you decide to return, just send me personally your dates. I'll organize and follow your accommodations all the way through. Thank you again! lee.greenspan@mhgc.com

See you soon!

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

My best friend and I stayed here for four nights for my 40th birthday in June. This is the coolest, friendliest hotel experience I have ever had!
All the staff were great, from the check-in staff, to the waiters and the pool staff - nothing was a problem for anyone.
The pool is very cool and I didn't feel old at all! The sushi bar is excellent - probably the best I had during my four week holiday.
Highly recommend this for anyone who wants a sophisticated cool hotel to just hang out in - will definately stay again!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ang73 Melbourne,

Thank you for your review. I noticed that the first thing that you noticed at arrival was the staff. We work hard to execute ongoing training because nothing is more important than service. People fall in love with people and return just to see them again. I'm very happy to hear that your impression with staff was great. Once that 1st impression is successful, everything about the stay is just that much better... and that point seems as if it was validated with you... and I'm glad because this trip was for a very special occasion for you.
Regarding the sushi bar (Umi) I have to concede... Umi is quite simply amazing. We don't advertise it and always try to keep it available to our hotel guests . We don't take reservations so you basically walk up, sit down, and brace yourself. Even the most discriminating sushi\sake connoisseur will leave surprised at the quality and service provided here.
You did mention that you would like to return. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to take care of your accommodations. Please reach out prior to booking (lee.greenspan@mhgc.com)... just send me the dates and I can make it happen from there! Thank you again for the great review and we hope to see you much sooner than later!

All The Best,