“Overhyped ...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Delano South Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Delano South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Delano South Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1685 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Delano Hotel)   |
Special Offer
$100 Daily Hotel Credit
Ranked #42 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Saddle Brook, New Jersey
“Overhyped ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The hotel definitely has the wow effect, but overall was just OK, especially considering the steep price.We were upgraded to a partial ocean view room, and it was... tiny! The bathroom was pathetic, small shower, tiny sink, barely enough space for one person. The room had a walking closet (really? what for? make the bathroom bigger..) There was no ironing board in our room, and after requesting it (through the iPad that comes with the room) we waited over 45 minutes. The pool area is very pretty, but small, and people reserve their lounge chairs as early as 7AM. The lounge chairs on a beach are very comfortable, but I can't believe the hotel charges for umbrellas. So tacky considering the room price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you for your review.

It seems as though you did have some positive points throughout your stay but you mentioned several issues that you experienced and these seem to outweigh the good. I apologize that you found Delano to be less than what you expected. There are some issues that you mentioned that are not acceptable, such as waiting 45 minutes for an ironing board. I will look into that and will monitor to make sure that all iPad requests are handled efficiently.
Our pool has more than enough room for our guests. We only allow guests to enjoy the pool during the day and we don't often have issues with the size or seating availability. I will concede the fact that most of our guests do rise early to reserve their chairs. It is a first come, 1st served policy. This is the best way to ensure that our guests are able to guarantee chairs. While we have a lot of seating, seats in the sun are sometimes limited and that encourages proactively reserving them early in the day. On the beach, we do charge for umbrellas. I'm sorry that you found this tacky. I can't think of any private beaches in the area that don't charge for umbrellas. While keeping consistent with pricing throughout the market here, Delano works hard to ensure that service levels are extremely high in order to justify the high end nature of our property. I hope that you found our service at the very least, satisfactory, and ideally, excellent. Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts, it is certainly helpful from my perspective here and we always try to build on any negative in order to turn it into a positive.

Many Thanks,

1,194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

After many visits to SoBe the Delano service, staff & hospitality just keeps getting better. Lee Greenspan and his crew know how to treat their guests. From checking in with Jose to ordering cocktails at the pool from Anna- everyone is overly helpful and friendly!

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your review!

You guys are always a pleasure and we look forward to having you several times a year. Guests like yourselves are the ones that make this industry special. We're very fortunate to have the opportunity to forge lasting friendships with some wonderful people. Thank you for your loyalty. I'm always glad to hear that we've been able to consistently deliver on expectations and it looks like we were successful during your last trip. Of course we'll look to out-do ourselves next time around! As you know, I'm happy to handle everything for you once you plan your next stay. Just say the word!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed at a hole in the wall the first time I visited Miami in '06 or '07. During the trip, my colleagues and I decided to grab a drink at the Delano before we headed out to party and...whoa!..that memory has always stuck with me. When I entered the lobby, it led to the main hallway with all kinds of people socializing and hanging around. I thought to myself, "What is going on here? It's just a hotel lobby." Little did I know.

There are chairs/sofas lining the hallway to sit around in, a pool table, a legit bar, all of which brings you the back of the hotel. In the back of the hotel is an indoor and outdoor restaurant (never sat down), with stairs the lead down to the pool area. Since we weren't in splurge mode, we had a drink at the pool bar and just kind of let stylish atmosphere soak in. I always wanted to stay at the Delano after that night.

And that's what I did last weekend, 7 years later armed with a little more money. One of our friends was able to book 4 rooms at the Delano with a corporate rate (yes!), and we were able to enjoy Miami in luxurious form.

The hotel has remained the same as I remembered. So although there might be some minor signs of age, everything is kept very clean and up-to-date. The rooms have a white motif going on, with marble bathrooms and strong air conditioning that makes everything cold to the touch, but it's nice when you come in from the hot sun.

But what's the point of going to Miami if you're going to stay inside all day. Gotta talk about the pool area. The pool itself is not that big and not deep--max 5.5 to 6 ft so you won't be diving. Surrounding the pool are beach chairs as well as sofa-type canopies on one side as well as beds on another. The arrangement is excellent for straight up lounging. So even during the peak of the day, when the pool area is maxed out, everyone is just hanging around and not really invading other peoples' spaces. It's definitely chill. Lounge/house music playing in the background.

Service at the hotel and pool was friendly. Drinks/food expensive (coffee $8). Door at the back of pool area leads directly to the beach for easy access.

Overall, I had a great time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed review!

It looks like you've got us pegged pretty well. You seem to have enjoyed the finer points and indulged on Delano specialties. It is one straight line from lobby to beach, along the way you see the separate furnished areas, unique to themselves, throughout the lobby.. these areas are flanked by The Rose Bar. At the end of the grand corridor is Bianca. It is an indoor\outdoor restaurant. They do a great job there and consistently receive rave reviews from guests and visitors alike. You also mentioned the vibe and atmosphere at the pool, how you described it is exactly what we're going for, and the same goes for the beach. I'm very happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and were able to experience all that we have to offer. If circumstances or business bring you back, please feel free to utilize me personally to handle your stay. (lee.greenspan@mhgc.com) I'm happy to duplicate your last experience and even make it a little better next time around!

London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The highlight may not have been the sparrow-resembling bird tucking into the breakfast display (see pic) to make me feel at home, but the super-cool pool for a 7am swim before a hard day's work in the hotel's one conference room.

Glamourous people hang out here including the 7ft 2in 145kg Shaq O'Neill whose gigantic shadow announced his arrival across the pool area.

If you're not paying personally (I wasn't) it's great for a corporate treat.

Pricey - yep: you get what you pay for. The $25 Kobe burger was an experience.

Staff can be a touch inattentive: five were talking to each other whilst my colleagues were attempting to get their attention for two whole minutes. Minor gripe only.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

This was a wonderful vacation. Staff was outstanding and extremely friendly. Attended to our every need. Three people went over and above: Jose at the front desk; Andres at the bell station; and Solomon at the pool were extraordinary. You definitely get what you pay for here. I asked my wife where we would stay next time, and we agreed the service we received at Delano cannot be topped. Our anniversary could not have been spent at a better spot. you can count on a wonderful experience!

• Stayed June 2013
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for your very positive review!

I've already shared your compliments with Solomon, Jose and Andres. It's always great to hear when individual efforts are noticed and have such a positive impact on our guests. As you mentioned, yourself and your wife have already made the Delano decision for your next trip to Miami Beach. I'm happy to handle your arrangements personally for that stay. Please contact me at lee.greenspan@mhgc.com a week or two before you would like to come, we'll definitely look forward to providing another amazing experience!

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

The Delano is still the place in South Beach. But either you like it or you don't. I always like to come back because you have everything: Special designer furnished white rooms with comfortable beds, a unique atmosphere, fun at the Pool or a more quiet place at the Beach, delicious food on the lovely terrasse of the Bianca Restaurant, good service and a nice Spa. You can go for an early morning run at the beach and a lite night drink at the Pool-Bar or shopping on Lincoln road just a few steps away. You will also find the best restaurants just around the corner. Yes there are some flaws sometimes like the houskeeping, which definitely needs some attention. But I will come back anyway.

Room Tip: Ocean view room have just a side view only Ocean front rooms have a direct view on the Ocean. Some r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hello Charlotte,

It was a pleasure to have you, as always. You said it quite clearly... Delano is Delano! While we do work hard to strike a balance and a common theme with all of our guests, we are also steadfast in keeping with the brand from which our continued success has been built upon.
I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed all of the offerings here just as you remembered, however, less than perfect housekeeping is not acceptable and your comment in that regard has been duly noted.
In the future, please let me know when you're coming down. (lee.greenspan@mhgc.com) I'd like to meet you personally and have the opportunity to handle your accommodations.

Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Once again, I'm wondering how to fit all of the Delano, South Beach fabulosity into this space. I am fortunate enough to have been introduced to this iconic destination by the Travel Channel years ago, when they did a spectacular review of this property and all that it has to offer. I have been addicted to the 'Delano experience' ever since, visiting 3-4 times a year during each cold New England winter for at least a week each time. The consistency in world-class guest care is what keeps me returning, but more about that later...... It is truly a magical feeling as soon as you arrive, with an amazing indoor-outdoor lobby. You immediately feel like you have become a part of a high-end adult playground. Rich, dark floors with huge white columns and massive billowy sheer white draperies are all accented by a beautiful variety of fabulous, interesting art pieces and many different types of seating eating/social areas that move on through, down toward the back of the building. This is where the Delano's wonderful main restaurant Bianca is located. It provides fine dining with authentic, organic Italian dishes that are sure to delight. May I suggest the signature dish TruffleTaglietelle - homemade pasta dish in a lovely cream sauce that is covered with fabulous truffle shavings. Also equally amazing is the King Salmon, the Petite Filet Mignon, the Salmon Carpaccio, the Heirloom tomato salad with fresh goat cheese, the Big Eye Tuna pizza, and the Pasta Pomodora. There is something for everyone, and this restaurant will certainly please even the most discriminating foodie. In addition to the many wonderfully talented and knowledgable servers and hostesses (Greg, Jason, Etti, Stephanie, Lacey, Tanya, Paulo,Bradford- amazing !) the Manager 'Rosario' and the Director ' Mahmood' will certainly be visible, be present, and ensure a perfect dining experience. Many other eating and socializing choices are available throughout the property including Umi Sushi, Rose Bar, Delano Beach Club and FDR. The huge famous infinity pool is truly something to behold, for just relaxing while enjoying a wonderful selection of cocktails, champagne and food selections, or for just enjoying the social scene, with beautiful white lounges and/or Cabanas that will suit your every mood . It is secure area with direct immediate access to running/bike paths and of course, a pristine South Beach that will surely please. With all it has to offer, you will see that Delano is a self-contained property, and with its fitness areas, and the Spa 'Club Essentia, some people, like me, feel there is really no reason to leave the grounds. If you choose to do so though, Delano is perfectly located with in walking distance to Lincoln Road and many restaurants and fun attractions.
Delano is a breathtakingly beautiful property with its sexy, whimsical aura and decor, and it always provides the very finest in guest services and customer care. The Philipe Stark design is absolutely magnificent with its cool, sexy clean lines and a beautiful variety of guest room choices. Marble everywhere, comfortable seating, large plasma TV, bevelled edge mirrors and fine linens make for a very luxurious and comfortable stay. The hotel and its grounds are spectacularly maintained with regular, discreet beautifications. The biggest asset of Delano though is most certainly its entire staff. Professionals of the highest caliber that ensure each guest is enjoying a fabulous, individualized stay.
Lee Greenspan, Nicolas Black and Steven Hiblum are absolutely amazing in managing a fine team. These guys are amazingly talented and knowledgable and the consistency and pride with which they perform their duties trickles down throughout the entire staff. Their attention to detail with the very highest caliber guest services, is apparent whether it is your first or your 20th visit .
Front desk staff: Stacey, Sheerley, Natalie, Zulfiya, Jose, Dwight,and Willie and Nora - thank you for everything you do and for always being so wonderful, friendly and thorough.
Bellman: Sam, Cesar, Jean-Claude, Aldo....you are the best, love you guys !
Pool/Beach staff: My beloved Diego and Soledad, Lorena, Skip, Eman, Mariano, Anna, Marco, Julie, Julia and Julianna , Jeremy, Mathew......every day is perfect ! Thank you.....
Housekeeping/room service : Alvina, Nery, Judith, thank you for taking such good care of me.
Again I encourage readers to come visit Delano, South Beach. You will be enthralled by 'all things Delano'......I promise !
See you in the fall my dear Delano friends !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Delano South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!