“Even better than the last time!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Delano South Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Delano South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Delano South Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1685 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Delano Hotel)   |
Special Offer
$100 Daily Hotel Credit
Ranked #38 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
New Haven, Connecticut
“Even better than the last time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Lee Greenspan and the Delano team made my last trip the best one yet. Upon my arrival Jose helped me with an upgraded room for part of the stay. I had never stayed in an Alcove room in my previous stays (just the standard rooms) so I definitely liked the additional space.

To me the pool area is always the highlight of my stay. Thanks to P.J. (great mojitos and restaurant tips), Julianna, Diego & Marco, I did not want to leave the pool area to go to the beach! And it helps that the lunch served at the pool was delicious, so I didn't have to miss a moment of prime pool time. Of course when I did spend a little time on the beach, the staff had me covered there too. I also went to FDR for the first time and enjoyed the atmosphere.

The stunning hotel, the service from the staff, the relaxed vibe and the location all combine to keep me coming back. I don't know if my next trip to the Delano will top this one, but based on the great people who work there, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it did. Thanks again Lee!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

1,119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was expecting so much... The location is fantastic, the staff is very helpfull, but we had some disappointments. The bathroom is too small. One morning during our breakfast, we were surprised by a man painting the walls; I really don't think this is the best time for doing it....But the worst: After a long day walking with my mother, we decided to buy a pizza and eat in our room, when we were entering the hotel, I was stoped by a "security man", asking if I was a guest.... So be prepared to dress like a star, otherwise you can have a problem.....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Delano 24-29 April 2013 (Room 1219), with 4 other couples, celebrating my 40th birthday in Miami Beach. There are no shortages of beaches, luxury, or beautiful people in our hometown of Los Angeles, but let me just say we loved our stay so much, we did not want to leave – South Beach blows Los Angeles away. We had the ultimate vacation and celebration. And as many people have noted, the man who takes this hotel from 5 stars to 5 stars ++++++++++, is the amazing Lee Greenspan, Guest Experience Manager. It's like he has a sixth sense the way he anticipates and sees to your needs. And if you want or need anything else, he will make sure it happens. Here's just one awesome example: After I emailed him and explained we were coming in for my 40th and asked for some dinner recommendations, he immediately upgraded my room! Here are more specifics:

First Impression: We arrived late, 9:30pm (late by normal standards - it is the beginning of dinner time in Miami Beach) and were greeted by the valet guys up front. They were all smiles and helped with our bags even though we were coming out of a cab (the bellman was making his way towards us, but the guys were right there so they helped) - such a greeting was uplifting after a long flight.

Check In: The good feelings continued as we walked in and were overtaken by the beautiful lobby, the spa-like aroma, and made our way to the registration desk. There, Dwight (who I believe is the Asst. front desk Mgr.) continued the warm greetings, wished me a happy birthday, and immediately gave me a card good for a few drinks at the bar.

Rooms: The rooms are all white and beautiful. Clean. Perfect mini-bar and other essentials. This is a boutique hotel so if you are looking for big rooms, you are coming to the wrong place (unless you stay in a poolside bungalow). Honestly, the rooms were perfect for one couple. Each one of our friends loved their rooms. I should mention that we each had different views. My wife and I had a Deluxe Ocean Front View room. The view was amazing. However, we and our friends found the other rooms equally nice - for example, the City View King also had a view of vibrant Collins Ave. A pet peeve of mine at hotels is crappy showers – Delano’s showers rocked!

Pool: The pool is always at the right temperature and there is really no shortage of beds, umbrellas (just ask), or if you want them, cabanas. Those that complain about beds - get real. No hotel has enough beds for everyone. Just go downstairs, find the pool staff (who are impossible to miss), and reserve beds. Then go have breakfast and come back. During our stay, we were out until at least 3am, but most nights 5am. We were fortunate that every morning, someone from our party went down between 8 and 9 and reserved chairs. Then we would wake up at 10am, have breakfast, and hit the pool by 11am. By noon, the pool was full of beautiful people and great music. The staff works their butts off to make sure you have what you need. SPECIAL NOTE: Marco, poolside server, is AMAZING. He remembers your name, your room number, and, most importantly, your drink. He runs around under the sun for hours every day, but always with a smile and excellent attitude. Thank you Marco, and the rest of the pool staff (Sole, Highlie, and others whose names I am sorry I forgot), for making our lazy pool days so enjoyable (as well as the party pool days)! Which brings me to the weekends, when they have a daytime DJ at the pool spinning amazing stuff. And what I like about the Delano daytime pool parties is that, while I would definitely not say they are G rated, they are hot, sexy, yet classy fun. In comparison, we hit XIV at Hyde Pool, at the SLS next door, for a coupe of hours on Sunday. It was great for a couple of hours, but that is not the scene we were looking for on this trip: complete hedonistic madness and mayhem – think daytime nightclub with super loud music and waitresses going around the pool spraying everyone with champagne every 15-20 minutes; the theme was “save water, spray champagne.” The Delano party is fun, great music, beautiful people, but (for the most part) not folks on drugs and completely trashed on alcohol – having said that, I don’t know if I would bring my kids even there. But that is the American in me. Some Europeans had their kids there and they were perfectly happy. Speaking of which, I got the impression that the crowd was at least 50% if not more from the UK or Europe (UK, Italy, Spain, some German), and another 25% or so from Latin America (there were many Brazilians during our stay). That’s my unscientific guess. It made for even more fun, mingling with people from other places.

Beach: Most days we would hit the beach for an hour or two after spending the entire day at the pool. The beaches are beautiful. I will say it here: They are SUPERIOR to most every beach I have been to in Los Angeles and Orange Counties in California. The white sand, water, beds, beautiful (often topless) women . . . The Delano beach was excellent.

Nightlife: The Delano itself is a nighttime destination. Their lobby has a DJ on weekends, as well as an excellent sushi restaurant, pool table, and great vibe. Outside, there is the Bianca restaurant, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We enjoyed the food very much. Walk across the pool at night and you get yet another DJ at the pool bar and a classy, wonderful bar scene. If you want a nightclub experience, but don’t want to leave the hotel, there is FDR. Talk to Lee Greenspan . . .

Location: Delano is located at the heart of South Beach. You can just about walk anywhere, but cabs/taxis and the guys in golf carts who work on tips are everywhere too.

As you can see, we loved our stay. I have no complaints about the Delano, but about Miami Beach in general: While the entire Delano staff was amazing, our group found that customer service outside the hotel, in most of Miami Beach, was horrendous. I mean just crap. It might have something to do with the fact that every place, large and small, automatically includes 18% (or more) gratuity in their bills. They say they have to because European travelers tend not to tip. I get that, but it has bred a culture of lazy and lackadaisical service. So expect that once you leave the Delano.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong, but I am partial to the Deluxe Ocean Front View. We had 1219.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

From the moment you arrive at the Delano you know that this hotel is different. It has this design aura about everything. It's lobby is stunning and it sets you in the mood that this is a fun oriented hotel. The room is nice, nothing special though. The pool area is amazing and so is the beach. The highlight of the hotel however is the restaurant and the excellent bar. Excellent choice for Miami !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Delano for 3 days ... There was 70 of us from th UK
Totally impressed ... A stunning location with the beach right on your doorstep .

This is somewhere I would just LOVE to come back to .. Many times !!

The rooms are beautiful ,staff on hand for everything and SO FRIENDLY , pool bar .. Yummy cocktails who could ask for more !!

The one thing I really loved as well was the ' Delano Aroma " as you walk into the foyer you are wrapped in this beautiful and distinctive aroma .... I had to email them when I to home as I really want to have that " smell " memory!!

DELANO YOU ROCK ... X

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Lee, Guest Experience Manager at the Delano South Beach, is by far the most professional, understanding and generous hotel manager that I've experienced in all my years of travel. Not only did his listen, but he understood my needs and created an otherwise standard trip into a fantastic experience for my friends and me. He was not only respectful to me, but more importantly, extremely respectful and kind to those working with him at the Delano.

I have travelled all over the world from the Plaza Athene in Paris to several Singita resorts In Africa, and Lee is one of the top, if not the best, guest services managers I have encountered.

Thank you for a fantastic, memorable stay!

• Stayed April 2013
W Palm Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Just returned from a stay at the Delano.
This must be the chicest hotel in Miami....and I looked at a dozen or more. Everything from arcitecture to interior design to employee uniforms, this place says "style". Phillipe Starck is a genius...often copied, never duplicated.
You might think that this hotel would be snobby, but no, genuinely friendly service is the order here. And not just me, others commented on this as well.
As for value, you decide, I paid $330 a night for an ocean view room on the 9th floor. Not a big room, mind you, but big enough. And atractive! My one complaint at the hotel was the price of everything else...$10 for a bottle of water on the beach, $80 for 4 drinks at the pool bar, $37 a night to park your car,,, It adds up.
Sleep quality was fine...amazing linens, super comfy king bed, and soundproof. And clean....as the room is all-white, any speck of dirt would show...and none did.
For a fun filled and glam holiday, I couldn't think you could do any better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Delano South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!