“Great Hotel, Excellent Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Delano South Beach Hotel

You added Delano South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Delano South Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1685 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Delano Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #48 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Excellent Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Recently stayed at the Delano with my partner and friends. The rooms are great, pool area and beach both gorgeous.
The service was exceptional, from door staff, concierge, bar staff and most of all manager Lee - who made the trip extra special and really added a personal touch. Would definitely stay at this hotel again for that reason.
Looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for the great review! You guys were a pleasure to have and easy to take care of... I'm glad to hear that everything exceeded expectations.
As we discussed, in the future, I'm always personally available to you. Please always feel free to reach out to me for any needs at all. I'm happy to take care of arranging all of your accommodations next time you're in Miami Beach.

See you soon!!

Best,

Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Polish first
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have been to Delano's pool bar too many times to count. Upon arriving to show a friend looking at Miami property the hotel we were not allowed access. The pool and bar were empty so I didn't feel we were disturbing or taking away from the guest. I proceed to the front to explain I wanted to show my visitor around briefly. I was met with the same reaction. Come back after 7pm! I, as well as my guest were nicely dressed (no swimsuit)... and could have returned in those very clothes however, it was not the point to start a party at 3:30 in the afternoon. I was shocked as locals are a big part of the Miami Scene" when summer rolls around. The Delano not only didn't want to take our money, they didn't even want to invest a bit of time for a potential guest looking to throw a huge bash.... little do they know how much they lost! Actually it's a blessing as the drinks are small and overpriced. The venue has been chosen and far better quality elsewhere. Thanks

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I apologize that you left Delano disappointed in the pool policy. Delano has always reserved the pool strictly for hotel guests during daylight hours. There are a number of reasons for it and I'll detail a few here as many people do often come by to see the pool during the day. It's important that we are forthcoming with valid reasons for this sometimes inconvenient or misunderstood policy.
1st, Safety and Security:
People that are relaxing at the pool or beach are not able to keep valuables on their person. Also, if they're in the pool or ocean, they have no choice but to leave some items unattended. One way that we protect our guests it to be conscious and in control of who enters the pool area.
2nd, Exclusivity:
Delano is known for it and our guests expect it. When you came here, you mentioned that it was slow at the pool and that you wouldn't be disrupting any guests.. I can appreciate that, however, we have many regular guests that purposely reserve a stay here on slower days to enjoy a more tranquil pool experience. We also regularly cater to celebrities, artists, musicians and others who do not wish to be recognized or exposed any more than what is necessary.
3rd: We have less lounges and pool beds than we do rooms. We have a responsibility to guarantee that our guests have chairs and beds available and that they always have first priority to all other amenities at the pool. Indiscriminately opening our pool to visitors during the day would effectively remove everything that has made this hotel, specifically the pool, so special over the years.
Finally: Delano guests are among the most loyal in this industry. Our guests return because we take feedback seriously. Privacy, ambiance and personal, perfect service at the pool is among the most recognized and requested services that we provide. We will continue to deliver on that standard... even at the risk of creating minor inconveniences for some of our visitors.

With all of that being said, you had a bad experience and I apologize for that. This is not a personal matter and is simply a policy that has been in place for 17 years.
I hope that your alternate accommodation choice while in Miami is excellent and I'm sure you'll enjoy your experience there.
Also, you're welcome to join us after 8pm at the Delano Beach Club any time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Over the past few months I've been traveling to Miami Beach every week for work. Although I've never yet been a guest of the hotel, I enjoy coming to Delano to eat and drink in the evenings. The hotel is very beautiful and like something out of a story book. The staff is extremely friendly and provides excellent service..especially Julia at the pool bar. The drinks are excellent and the vibe is really chill. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2013
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review. We're happy to know that we are one of your favorite spots for a classy lounge and a night cap... I have to agree, under those circumstances, Delano is the place to be. The only suggestion I have that could possibly make that experience even more satisfying would be to spend a couple vacation days with us in order to get the Delano experience in it's entirety.. I'm happy to help make that happen. Feel free to reach out any time, I'm always available!
lee.greenspan@mhgc.com

All The Best,

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Delano Hotel is our favorite hotel. It is a beautiful hotel with an exceptional staff - the rooms and grounds are just gorgeous. The pool and beach are gorgeous - you never have to leave the hotel, for it offers everything you need. The Delano is, without a doubt, the only place to stay in Miami!

Thanks, Andrea!

You pretty much summed it up.. we tirelessly find ways to make it completely unnecessary to leave our property during your stay and it seems as if we've hit the mark with you. We're happy to hear that all aspects of your stay put a smile on your face and created fond memories. We'll look forward to doing it again for you!

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have stayed at The Delano for the last 3 years in March to celebrate a family birthday. We are from the UK and have never stayed at any other South Beach hotels so cannot compare - we found the Delano and keep returning as it ticks all the boxes for us.
The ambience is just right - laid back whilst being super organized. We love the decor and the quirkiness of the furniture and the pool area is beautiful. The restaurant serves fantastic food and the lunch menu on the beach is great.
The rooms are small, the white decor is scuffed in places, the 'sea view' is limited and it's all savagely expensive - but personally I love it!
A small gripe from this stay - whilst we weren't allowed to rent a sea front cabana some rowdy kids (not hotel guests) came and used one for an hour or so shouting and using foul language but the beach boys did not ask them to leave.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hello,

Thank you for your review! I can see clearly that you've found your Miami home at Delano and we appreciate your acknowledgment of all of the finer points that Delano has to offer. I would also like to thank you for bringing up some of the inevitable areas that can be improved. While the rooms are all traditional Philippe Starck white, it's our responsibility to keep them pristine. In addition, as a guest, you, and only you, take priority for pool and beach lounges, beds and cabanas. In the future, please feel free to bring these concerns to hotel management. I assure you, the issue will quickly and tactfully resolve.

Atlantic Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband & I got engaged at the Delano 16 years ago & decided to return for our 15year anniversary... The staff couldn't have been more happy for us to be back & still together!! The front desk staff upgraded our room with a smile & Lee Greenspan (guest experience mgr.) sent a bottle of bubbly to our room. Lee made sure to check on us through out our stay:-)

I'm headed back in June for a girls trip & all though it will be a completely different type of trip I'm Soooo looking forward to my stay at the Delano!!!

Room Tip: Away from elevators
Hi JS!

You guys were an absolute pleasure from start to finish and it was great to be able to spend a little time with you personally. I'm glad that all went perfectly and that you have another unforgettable anniversary in the books!
Now: THE GIRLS TRIP: Totally different ballgame!! I'm completely prepared to change gears and hit a home run with that trip also! All I ask is that 1) You book your reservation through me. 2) You give me about a week to prepare. and 3) Get plenty of rest before you arrive!... I'll be arranging an amazing agenda for you guys.. but it will be exhausting!!

See you soon!

ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

if you heard about the delano and thought it was "the place to be" forget it-- tiny rooms, way overpriced, and a bunch of people who are experiencing 80s flashbacks walking around looking for the cool people who have obviously moved on many years ago--- front desk manager was a nice guy, but after discussing with me didn't disagree...

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Steve,

I'm not sure when you were here, but I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet you. We have several room categories. Our standard rooms are of average size for Miami Beach and are very well appointed and modern. We also offer a rate competitive with similar properties.. the difference at Delano is the ambiance, sophistication, dining, nightlife, staff and design. We do have a theme of sorts in mind... but 80's flashback certainly isn't it. Delano is a place where high profile people from all over the world spend their time while in Miami. Celebrities also find comfort here as we are very exclusive and trendy. The most important people though, our regular guests, are the driving force behind who we are as a brand.
As you mentioned... it seemed to you that we "cater to people walking around looking for all the cool people who have obviously moved on years ago".. I'm sorry that you got that impression.. It's actually on the contrary. The people chasing the cool people, usually come to Delano to find them. What our regular guests and visitors don't realize until they experience a stay here, is that when they are at Delano, THEY are "the cool people." The celebrities, movers, shakers, artists and the many other notables just happen to be here as well... and we're happy to have all of them and to recognize them.. as guests.

Lee

Been to Delano South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!