“Hotel is ok, but has seen better days...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Delano South Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Delano South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Delano South Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1685 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Delano Hotel)   |
Special Offer
$100 Daily Hotel Credit
Ranked #41 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Orlando, Florida
“Hotel is ok, but has seen better days...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We have been to the Delano years ago when it was fresh, hip and crisp. Our latest visit this weekend was a disappointment.

We had a corner Alcove room. While clean, the room and bathroom overall, have an old, outdated cheap feeling. The beds are very uncomfortable. Like the pillow top mattress has been compressed years ago and they haven't gotten around to changing them.The maid service hadn't cleaned our room even after we had been gone all day and returned at 6pm. That is totally unacceptable! We had to call down to have the room cleaned and the towels replenished.

The elevator was not working either on our arrival back to the hotel and we had to climb eight flights of stairs just to get to our room.

The pool area and lobby is starting to get that tacky, everything used to be crisp and white but now it's old look to it as well.

For the amount of money spent, the experience was unacceptable and underwhelming. I'm not sure who the people are that write all of these glowing reviews for this hotel, but they definitely are not avid travelers and must have pretty low expectations.

Spend your money somewhere else... if you like the finer things in life you'll be sorely disappointed here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. First, I'd like to apologize. Your review is definitely concerning and I would like to discuss it further with you. Regarding housekeeping; what you described as far as your room not being serviced at all is first of all, unacceptable,and secondly, very surprising. I have looked into this already and will continue to investigate until I can find a reason for this oversight. You also mentioned elevators. We did have one elevator down briefly for scheduled maintenance at one point during your stay but I'm unaware of any point at which both were down. I will look into this directly. I apologize for that inconvenience as well.
We spend substantial time ensuring that the property is fresh and clean daily. We are almost obsessed with ensuring that all of our guests find the property (both public space and rooms) to be in pristine condition at any given time. We update and refresh constantly as service and ambiance stand atop the list priorities at Delano.
As you mentioned, you may be under the impression that reviewers on Trip Advisor are not avid travellers.. or that their overwhelmingly positive reviews of Delano are because of a lack of experience at great hotels. I assure you that it is quite the contrary. Reviews like yours, while very concerning and certainly deserving of an apology and thorough follow up, are actually the anomoly on our page. Overwhelmingly, our reviews are positive. That's because we consistently deliver an overwhelmingly positive experience.. and I would like the chance to provide that to you. If you do have plans to return to Miami, please contact me at lee.greenspan@mhgc.com. I would like to personally handle your next accommodations so as to give you the first hand example of what all of the well travelled and discrimnating reviewers on this page are referring to.

Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Polish first
Thessaloniki, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

One of the best hotels! Amazing rooms, modern,simple, just white theme everywhere!
One of the most amazing pool with great service and super pool parties with great music! In front of the beach and the ocean you can relax there and close by to the best restaurants and bars and of course the boardwalk.
I would definitely visit it again soon!

Room Tip: With ocean view are the best and at the upper floors.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

If you want ..
The best location
The best staff
The best food
The best all round service
Then stay at the Delano
I've been coming every year for five years and I love it
Yes it isn't cheap
But in life what's good is worth paying for
Do yourself a favour , book the Delano
It's worth every cent

Simon Taylor
England

• Stayed February 2013
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I love this hotel, the second you enter the lobby you know this is a special place. The theme is white, the rooms, lobby, everything is a spotless white. The pool is terrific, the restaurant called the Blue Door is expensive but delicious, they also have a sushi bar in the lobby along with the very swank Rose Bar ..The grounds are perfectly, spotless and magical, at night the pool area gets transformed into a clubby outdoor trendy bar scene. Never stayed in the outdoor rooms, but they look great. The regular rooms are small, and without balconies, but still very nice, nice toiletries and very chic. This is an expensive place, but the whole thing here is the vibe, and it is beautiful. as are the women who seem to be everywhere. I will be back.

Room Tip: I would go for an ocean view room if you can afford it
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
New Canaan, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I headed to The Delano in Feb to celebrate our Anniversary. The staff was incredibly nice and we had a good time despite the cold front that rolled into SoBe. The best part of the hotel is the pool and beach area, so with the blustery weather, we weren't quite able to realize that value this time. The day we did spend by the pool was festive with yummy food and drinks that are a bit pricey, but good nonetheless. The Delano, being a sexy place (see headline) attracts a celebrity crowd, and there was one by the pool whose privacy I will respect by not naming. The lobby is also expansive (but freezing cold) with a pool table, bar, and sushi restaurant. All fun. There is a club on site, called FDR, with easy access. We are not much for the club scene, but went one night anyway. We left a short while later after I discovered a local patron going through the pockets of the blazer that I had taken off and put down. A sleazy element can find you anywhere in SoBe but it seemed like this group was looking for hotel guests to prey on since right before I caught the person, I had been repeatedly asked if we were staying there. It made us feel that we were not their first "mark" ever. Word to the wise.. Be wary of suddenly friendly strangers!
The hotel room itself was very small with all white decor that's basic and kind of cheap. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows weren't at all I asked for a down pillow and was promptly sent one that was feather filled and also uncomfortable. The bathroom was super tiny but serviceable. I had just come from staying a few days at The Breakers in Palm Beach, whose turn down service includes a gourmet chocolate or cookie, whereas The Delano, although a similar room rate, does not go to that effort or expense. All in all, I would stay there again, and bring my own down travel pillow though! The location can't be beat - on the beach and so close to Lincoln Road.

• Stayed February 2013
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I met a friend at the Delano last weekend. We chose South Beach in general and the Deleno specifically for time in the sun (pool and beach), relaxation, and fun. The hotel itself, the pool area, and the ocean view from our room were gorgeous, but what made the weekend for us was the staff. They were fantastic. Everyone we encountered from the moment we arrived until we left was very personable and seemed genuinely happy to help. One tip about the pool, if you want a lounge chair, get there early to claim your spot. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the less noise from the party going on in the lobby. Ocean view is spectacula...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Miami Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you are looking for the best of the best, this is the place for you...the entrance is just like walking in one of those beautiful Palace, reserved for Kings and Queen...the decoration is fabulous, the colors of the lights make it look like Paradise, beautiful Bars on each side....the outside, the restaurant with everything ready for your comfort and degustation...the service is top, sometimes too much when you want to be left alone for conversation, then you have a great set of stairs, like in a Chateau, and direction the huge swimming pool with another bar where you can also eat at the bar...chaise lounge, where you can relax after the pool, and drink one of their delicious cocktail.....I know Paradise is not strong enough of a word for the DELANO...it is expensive, but if you are not ready to spend some money, you don't come there. PERIOD....

Room Tip: Unfortunately, I didn't sleep there, but my friends were very pleased. I know they will return...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Delano South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!