“Fabulously Surreal Weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Delano South Beach Hotel

You added Delano South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Delano South Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1685 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Delano Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #50 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Fabulously Surreal Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I’ve longed to stay at the Delano since my first trip to Miami nearly a decade ago. My husband booked a weekend at the hotel as a surprise birthday present, and it was absolutely everything I had hoped it would be and more. Yes, it is ridiculously expensive, but the experience of being a guest here – from sipping after-hours cocktails in the ethereal lobby to floating around the pool with a glass of champagne – is unparalleled and truly worth every penny. We have stayed at hotels at every price point all over the world and can say without hesitation that no other place has offered such a celebrity experience. Thanks for such a fabulous stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Kristine,

Thank you for the amazing review! I'm so glad to hear that after ten years you finally had a chance to stay with us.
You're correct, the Miami Beach market has a high price point. Delano takes the approach that if you're going to spend significant money at a hotel, the hotel should be pristine, in a perfect location and have 5 star service. It sounds like you got to experience the best of all of those things at Delano!
In the future, you are more than welcome to contact me personally for any needs that you may have in Miami Beach. I'm happy to extend that VIP, celebrity treatment for you any time! lee.greenspan@mhgc.com

All The Best,

Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I toyed with a few other hotels in South Beach before booking the Delano. I had heard it was THE place to stay although a little pricey (especially for a week). I had also been nervous having read some reviews on here from people saying that the staff were rude, but from the moment we checked in we had fabulous service. Everyone was smiley and helpful. It's easy as a Brit to feel that American hospitality can be a little saccharine and false, but here it certainly felt genuine. I must pay special attention to the guys on the beach, who were so kind, helpful and charming; they couldn't do enough. Ditto the waiters at the pool.

Food-wise, the beach/pool/bar food was great. The coconut crunch shrimp was fabulous: I ate it three times in a week! We ate in the restaurant in the evening once and were a little disappointed. It was ok, but nothing to write home about. A little unimaginative really. Breakfast again was good, although it's easy to spend $100 for two without trying. We had a couple of cocktails at dinner and at the bar, and again, they were a little disappointing. The mixologist surprisingly didn't test the drinks, and as a result the balances were out. No biggie though.

We had a Deluxe City View room on the 10th. Not too small, but then having stayed in NYC everything is palatial by comparison. There's no double glazing, and as a result I didn't sleep too well on the first couple of nights we were there. So much traffic noise at weekends. The room itself is nice though. All white and crisp. I didn't feel that the room had been cleaned very well: the floors felt a little grubby. We didn't mention anything though, so can't complain too much.

This really is a party hotel, especially at weekends. Music pumping around the pool from the off, and lots of beautiful people looking at each other and themselves. We had a the excitement of a celebrity staying while we were there, so there were paps running up and down the beach and hanging around the entrances, although the staff dealt with them quickly.

Overall we had a lovely time at the Delano made more special by the staff. It isn't cheap and breakfast, lunch and dinner soon add up, but it was a lovely treat. If the manager sees this I really do hope that he /she makes a special note to give the guys running the beach a special thank you. They're the people that go to making this a great place to stay.

Room Tip: A review here mentions seeing the sunset over the ocean at this hotel. The sea-view rooms would catc...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sam,

Thank you for taking the time to return such a detailed review. First and foremost, I want to assure you that I've already shared this with the entire beach staff. Thank you for pointing out the above and beyond job that they did for you.
It sounds as if you were more than satisfied with the service level here. Certainly there are some moments where there is a breakdown, just as there is at every property. I appreciate some of the reviews that pointed out such service concerns as it allows us to identify areas of concern and improve upon the issue. It's great to hear that you were able to experience the genuine and attentive service that Delano is known for.

Always feel free to contact myself or any front office manager for your future stays, we're happy to tailor a stay that tops this one for you any time.

Best,

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The best reason to stay here is the beauty of the hotel, its staff and surroundings. The Morgan’s group is adept at taking a well located, older building and fitting it with designer décor and beautiful staff to lure the beautiful people to perpetuate the cycle.

The hotel can be seen on approach for its white tower with art deco crowning detail. Neat hedges frame a driveway with valet and slick bell services. On one night a Bugatti Veyron was valet parked in pride of place. The hotel lobby is an ethereal combination of dark spaces, soft lighting and billowing white drapes. Classic Philippe Starck design with a signature brilliant mix of chairs and couches create private spaces along the space leading to the pool. This area hosts a DJ and bar area at night.

Check in was handled very well by a svelte woman who came across as welcoming and natural which was an essential antidote for a ruffled hot traveler rolling into such a pristine environment.

The dark hallways led to a brilliant all white room. We stayed in a partial ocean view room which provided a good mix of neon lights and sunset water views. The room was stylish but functional. A large closet provided plenty of storage and room to remove suitcases which antagonized the style of the room. The bathroom was very small, but overjoyed us with a full sized shower with rain head and wall head fixtures. The milky black and white marble and pendant light fixtures looked smart. The bed was comfortable and the air-conditioning efficient.

The pool area is a highlight of the Delano. The temperature was very warm, but comfortable for swaning around. Don’t bother with lap swimming, its not what this pool is about. The sun loungers and cabanas with palm trees and hanging lights provided a very slick place to spend time.

The Delano is well located in South Beach with many attractions within walking distance. Try the Ritz Carlton beach bar for good cocktails and a view of the sunset and cruise ships steaming out to the ocean. Shop in the Lincoln Street Mall and end up having lunch at Juvea, in the iconic 1111 Lincoln building. This place has great views of South beach from an extensive outdoor area or indoor glass enclosed restaurant. Try Joe’s Stone Crab’s for a authentic Miami mega restaurant experience. The place has a great buzz, you wait for an hour for a table but have the Stone Crabs and you understand what all of the fuss is about.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hello,

It was a pleasure to read such a well articulated and descriptive review. I couldn't have said it better myself. You touched on and described most of the highlights of a Delano stay... We like to keep it on the surreal side with excellent service and breathtaking surroundings.
We would love to have you back to enjoy Delano all over again. Please make sure that you contact me before you make your final plans. I'd be happy to add a little personal touch to the accommodations to bring it over the top. lee.greenspan@mhgc.com

See you soon!

All The Best,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

From the moment bellman who took my bag into reception I was made to feel very special. The staff are fantastic, while lounging around the pool, they could not do enough for me, definitely try the Mahi Mahi tacos for lunch, the best I ever had.
I had an ocean view suite and it was spectacular.

Room Tip: Request an ocean view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for the great review! We work hard to ensure that you are welcomed and wowed from the front door to the beach... And I agree whole heartedly regarding the Mahi Tacos. It's a must-try at the Delnao Beach Club!
Next time you're in town, please feel free to reach out to me personally. I'm happy to handle your accommodations.

Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This was a beautiful hotel with a great staff. You have to know in advance that you are booking a room at a place built in the 1920's in South Beach - in other words, the rooms are not huge and there is noise of the late night people out at the clubs. The room was comfortable even though the bathroom was pretty close quarters. Bed was comfortable. Be prepared for everything in your room to be white. I won my nights in a charity auction, so I cannot give any kind of an accurate answer on value. Concierge gave good recommendations to good restaurants and good attractions without them being the most expensive or flashiest. While the pool was very pretty and nice, the service on the beach made it that much better. All around, a wonderful 3 nights.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write that excellent review. Delano is an older Art Deco building with several room categories to choose from. I'm sorry that you were able to hear some noise during the night, however, I can ensure a high floor quiet room for a future stay. Please feel free to contact me should you be returning to the area.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the ambiance throughout the property and that all of the your staff interactions were pleasant. We'll look forward to welcoming you back.

Riverdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I loved the service and the pool. This hotel never disappoints after all these years. The design and style is awesome and the location on the beach rocks. I've been coming back for 10 years. and hopefully for more years to come.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Wow! Very brief and direct!

Thank you for the excellent review, you covered it all in a nutshell. We're always glad to see familiar faces and repeat guests. Next time you're down, feel free to send me a quick note before you arrive. I like to try to meet all of our regular guests and fans. lee.greenspan@mhgc.com

Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Booked a beautiful Ocean Front room, only to discover it had been given to another guest when I checked in. The only room available was a tiny, dirty room with hair on the floor and a "cruise ship type" bathroom. Stayed in a high traffic corner room so I could listen to honking horns, motorcycles, slamming doors and blasting car stereos all night. Not exactly the rolling sounds of waves crashing along the shoreline which I had expected. I tried to get the room I had reserved, but instead I was given a list of other hotels from the woman at the front desk, who seemed to care less where I stayed on January 31, 2013. Her flippant demeanor was that which could be found at the local Super 8 Motel. Instead of charging me the nearly $800 for my Ocean Front, she acted like she was doing me a favor by giving me a very small discount. Unfortunately, I couldn't find another hotel in the area and ended up staying at the Delano. BEWARE! Common areas such as the lobby and hallways are beautiful, but when you walk into a room.....Look out!!!!!!! Would never stay there again even if the room was free! (Instead of supplying condoms in the rooms, ear plugs would be a better choice)

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review.

I would like to preface my comments. In regards to the issues with your room type not being available, I would like to speak to you in more detail personally. Please feel free to reach out to me @ lee.greenspan@mhgc.com.
Beyond that, I would like to utilize this forum to address a few concerning issues that you described above. First and most importantly is the staff. My office is situated behind the front desk and I work regularly and very closely with both front office managers and front desk agents. At Delano, service is head and shoulders above all other priorities. You will see from the vast majority of reviews on our page here, that the people that work at Delano are some of the most talented, repectful and hard working individuals that you will ever find in this industry. I have an extremely hard time accepting that the female front desk staff member with whom you dealt was flippant. If she was, I will be the first to apologize. It is a rare occasion that we oversell a certain room category, however, unpredictable things do happen in hotel operation. If she did offer a discounted rate or a room move, that is certainly an appropriate approach. If she was out of options as to how to make you happy she may have seemed to be at a loss... not flippant or disingenuous. I'm sorry if her demeanor suggested anything but genuine concern for turning your stay around. Regarding rooms: All of the Art Deco or boutique hotels in Miami Beach have standard rooms which are on the small side. We do have several categories and options for larger rooms, but on the whole, rooms here are not huge. Delano is located directly on Collins avenue to the west, and directly on the beach to the east. Depending which floor you're on, there is a possibility that you will hear normal sounds associated with a busy city. This is beyond our control, but if it bothers a guest, we will find an accommodation more comfortable for them. Also, we do have ear plugs in addition to condoms. For future reference, ear plugs can be obtained from the front desk. There are several other items, including condoms, which are tastefully placed in an in room shop box. Regardless of any misunderstanding or disenchanting memories of your stay, I would like to make your experience up to you. As discussed, please feel free to reach out to me personally.

Lee

Been to Delano South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!