“Lap of Luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Delano South Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Delano South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Delano South Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1685 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Delano Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #41 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Lap of Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

From the moment bellman who took my bag into reception I was made to feel very special. The staff are fantastic, while lounging around the pool, they could not do enough for me, definitely try the Mahi Mahi tacos for lunch, the best I ever had.
I had an ocean view suite and it was spectacular.

Room Tip: Request an ocean view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for the great review! We work hard to ensure that you are welcomed and wowed from the front door to the beach... And I agree whole heartedly regarding the Mahi Tacos. It's a must-try at the Delnao Beach Club!
Next time you're in town, please feel free to reach out to me personally. I'm happy to handle your accommodations.

Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Polish first
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This was a beautiful hotel with a great staff. You have to know in advance that you are booking a room at a place built in the 1920's in South Beach - in other words, the rooms are not huge and there is noise of the late night people out at the clubs. The room was comfortable even though the bathroom was pretty close quarters. Bed was comfortable. Be prepared for everything in your room to be white. I won my nights in a charity auction, so I cannot give any kind of an accurate answer on value. Concierge gave good recommendations to good restaurants and good attractions without them being the most expensive or flashiest. While the pool was very pretty and nice, the service on the beach made it that much better. All around, a wonderful 3 nights.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write that excellent review. Delano is an older Art Deco building with several room categories to choose from. I'm sorry that you were able to hear some noise during the night, however, I can ensure a high floor quiet room for a future stay. Please feel free to contact me should you be returning to the area.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the ambiance throughout the property and that all of the your staff interactions were pleasant. We'll look forward to welcoming you back.

Riverdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I loved the service and the pool. This hotel never disappoints after all these years. The design and style is awesome and the location on the beach rocks. I've been coming back for 10 years. and hopefully for more years to come.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Wow! Very brief and direct!

Thank you for the excellent review, you covered it all in a nutshell. We're always glad to see familiar faces and repeat guests. Next time you're down, feel free to send me a quick note before you arrive. I like to try to meet all of our regular guests and fans. lee.greenspan@mhgc.com

Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Booked a beautiful Ocean Front room, only to discover it had been given to another guest when I checked in. The only room available was a tiny, dirty room with hair on the floor and a "cruise ship type" bathroom. Stayed in a high traffic corner room so I could listen to honking horns, motorcycles, slamming doors and blasting car stereos all night. Not exactly the rolling sounds of waves crashing along the shoreline which I had expected. I tried to get the room I had reserved, but instead I was given a list of other hotels from the woman at the front desk, who seemed to care less where I stayed on January 31, 2013. Her flippant demeanor was that which could be found at the local Super 8 Motel. Instead of charging me the nearly $800 for my Ocean Front, she acted like she was doing me a favor by giving me a very small discount. Unfortunately, I couldn't find another hotel in the area and ended up staying at the Delano. BEWARE! Common areas such as the lobby and hallways are beautiful, but when you walk into a room.....Look out!!!!!!! Would never stay there again even if the room was free! (Instead of supplying condoms in the rooms, ear plugs would be a better choice)

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review.

I would like to preface my comments. In regards to the issues with your room type not being available, I would like to speak to you in more detail personally. Please feel free to reach out to me @ lee.greenspan@mhgc.com.
Beyond that, I would like to utilize this forum to address a few concerning issues that you described above. First and most importantly is the staff. My office is situated behind the front desk and I work regularly and very closely with both front office managers and front desk agents. At Delano, service is head and shoulders above all other priorities. You will see from the vast majority of reviews on our page here, that the people that work at Delano are some of the most talented, repectful and hard working individuals that you will ever find in this industry. I have an extremely hard time accepting that the female front desk staff member with whom you dealt was flippant. If she was, I will be the first to apologize. It is a rare occasion that we oversell a certain room category, however, unpredictable things do happen in hotel operation. If she did offer a discounted rate or a room move, that is certainly an appropriate approach. If she was out of options as to how to make you happy she may have seemed to be at a loss... not flippant or disingenuous. I'm sorry if her demeanor suggested anything but genuine concern for turning your stay around. Regarding rooms: All of the Art Deco or boutique hotels in Miami Beach have standard rooms which are on the small side. We do have several categories and options for larger rooms, but on the whole, rooms here are not huge. Delano is located directly on Collins avenue to the west, and directly on the beach to the east. Depending which floor you're on, there is a possibility that you will hear normal sounds associated with a busy city. This is beyond our control, but if it bothers a guest, we will find an accommodation more comfortable for them. Also, we do have ear plugs in addition to condoms. For future reference, ear plugs can be obtained from the front desk. There are several other items, including condoms, which are tastefully placed in an in room shop box. Regardless of any misunderstanding or disenchanting memories of your stay, I would like to make your experience up to you. As discussed, please feel free to reach out to me personally.

Longport, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I lived in Miami for a while and used to go the Delano quite a bit. This time I was in town visiting.The crowd is still the same but you can tell the hotel is aging just a bit. The location is great and the service is even better. Expect the best and be sure to get a drink at the Rose Bar!

Room Tip: The more expensive rooms are much more spacious than the base rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the very positive review. Even with all of the added competion in Miami Beach, I have to agree, Delano is still the staple here. Regarding the "aging' of the property, you're correct, after 17 very busy and successful years, it is imperative that regular maintenance and upkeep is a priority... and it is. We have just completed a very thorough property improvement project. Thank you for bringing your honest and valuable observation to us, I believe you'll see the difference next time you're here.

Cambridge ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed at the Delano for the first time and it was very South Beach!! Stark white bedrooms (would have appreciated a little bit of carpeting - very cold floors!!) and billowing curtains flowing from all the high ceilings throughout the lobby and common areas. Not exactly my cup of tea but definitely an iconic property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review!

Although Delano may not be your cup of tea, we're certainly happy to hear that you were able to appreciate the design and location of the property. Delano is a very trendy, upscale, hotel with a significant focus on night life. Many travelers that decide on Miami Beach as a vacation spot expect their hotel to have similar offerings, but not everyone. Thank you for giving us a try. Even if you don't stay with us next time you're in Miami, I'd like to invite you back for lunch or cocktails. Please let me know next time you're in town. lee.greenspan@mhgc.com

All The Best,

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The Delano is known throughout South Beach as the place to be, along with its sister property, The Shore Club. Decked in white from head to toe, the Delano presents a luxurious hotel and nightlife setting in one of the premiere locations in Miami.

Filled with a slightly older crowd of guests (due to the higher prices), the Delano still attracts the young and beautiful on Saturday nights. If you aren't a guest, be prepared to wait in line as early as 6pm for entry into the hotel. The pool area is reserved exclusively for guests during the afternoons, with pool chairs going to those willing to shell out for Bungalows poolside or book cabanas with bottle service for the day.

The rooms are all white with high ceilings and whimsical touches--including apples suspended from the walls on metal hooks. Throughout the hotel, strange lamps, glass pianos, huge mirrors, and other Alice-in-Wonderland touches bring this whimsical fantasy to life. The pool lights at night and soft house music create an ambiance unmatched by any other establishment.

If you're looking for a $65 all-you-can-eat brunch buffet for Sunday, the Delano's main restaurant has you covered. And it is exceptional.

Don't miss this hotel next time you're in town.

Room Tip: Alcove rooms may overlook the city, but they're huge. A room with two queens offers plenty of r...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
That was a fantastic review Merrily, thank you!

You are correct, Morgans Hotel Group has 3 properties in Miami Beach, Shore Club is 2 blocks North of Delano and we also have Mondrian, which is located on Biscayne Bay.
I'm glad to see that you appreciated the whimsical touches and Alice In Wonderland feel.. that's exactly what we're going for! We certainly cater to the adult crowd and appreciate those who expect an exclusive, classy and upscale environment.
It was a pleasure having you, many staff members told me about you and I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet you personally. I'm happy to look after you should you return to South Beach. Please feel free to contact me any time. We're looking forward to having you back!

All The Best,

Lee

Been to Delano South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!