“South Beach's Hotspot Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Delano South Beach Hotel

You added Delano South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Delano South Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1685 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Delano Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #47 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“South Beach's Hotspot Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

A very cool atmosphere and beautiful hotel located right on the beach. It's elegance is proven as you enter the magnificent tall doors to a long high ceiling lobby. The poolside is just as elegant. A long slender pool with cabanas lining each side and a wrap around white bar with light dance music attracts the finest people of the world. I did not feel out of place even though celebrities were in sight. The rooms are always clean, very fresh, which is what sets this hotel apart from others from me. The rooms are all white and with mirrors, very modern and clean looking. My kind of hotel experience. Located right in the heart of downtown south beach you will be able to get to all the best restaurants and clubs within a short walk or less than a 10 min taxi ride. A hotel worth checking out when experiencing the high life of south beach. Check out the poolside bar later at night, well worth it.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
São Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Usually I try stay at conservative hotels, with enough space for bags, cozy atmosphere, good service (specially concierge) and of course, good service. But have always had a curiosity about the Delano, that is elegant but very modern. I think the entrance is charming, the lobby very elegant and staff look impeccable, though they are a little snob. At this first and last stay these impressions were kept. It is magic to enter the lobby of the hotel and walk through the long aisle until reaching the restaurant and the pool. The room is beautiful, bed is comfortable and bathroom is nice also. Not impressive and not cozy, but relaxing. The room is extremely light, everything is white with lots of mirrors, floor is cold and instead of slippers they have “havaianas” (the Brazilian brand) sandals – not comfortable and not warm the room (specially the cold floor) and when I walked with them on the beach my feet hurt until boil.
At the check in I had a special VISA package with upgrade, breakfast, valet and internet. But nothing appeared for them and they assigned me a regular room. Showing my reservation they changed my room and instructed me to spend according my benefits – if they found it on their system I wouldn’t have to pay for them. Gladly I they honored that.
I had some packages delivered through UPS, and as I warned the hotel before my arrival, they were delivered there. Fortunately 3 packages arrived in my room on the third day of my stay, while they had arrived one or two days before me. Unfortunately a fourth package delivered at the same day as the others was lost. After my check out they found it but when I asked them to mail me (on my expenses) they lost it again.
The pool is beautiful and glamorous. Seems there is always room for everyone, different than other crowded neighbor hotels. The service is poor. They like good tips and nice girls. On my second day I requested a chair. The pool guy told me to seat wherever I wanted ,with these words, that appeared to me like discourteous. On the first day they conducted me to an available chair and prepared that for me and for my friends. I thought on the second day I would have the same treatment. The pool bar staff had the same indifference.
Restaurant is very pleasant, with a beautiful veranda and great service. Food is very good also but the breakfast is very limited on buffet, but taste good.
The modernity in a bad way is about the cold room, rough slippers (sandals), limited breakfast (I don’t like menu when I can have a buffet – modern people, I guess, are often on diet), snob staff, poor concierge service and noisy pool area at night.
The good way is the opulence of the lobby and the aisle, beautiful pool not crowded, beautiful restaurant and bar.
To finish, the valet takes an eternity to bring the car.

Room Tip: Have an upgrade to a large room. The ocean view is noisy because of the pool parties.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Norwalk, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

The Delano is a well-known spot on the South Beach strip. Great for the partygoer with a loud and lively scene - music, drinks, great inside/outside areas to hang out, dance, and drink. Unfortunately, the hotel was booked for me for a business trip, which this is far from ideal for. No real comfortable areas to work - nowhere to plug things in - Internet access was spotty. Bathroom very tiny as is room - bare wood/concrete floors not comfortable. Couldn't get thermostat to work. Service was OK - not horrible, but nothing to write home about. And the noise til 3-4AM makes sleeping miserable. As I said, this is a great spot for what it is - a good party with people to meet and hopefully connect with. But if you're looking for the traditional hotel amenities for business travel, this isn't where you want to be.

• Stayed January 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The Delano is a great hotel, a bit expensive ,but so is everything in Miami. Good location, walking distance to the best streets in south beach(ocean drive, Collins avenue etc)
The concierge D'Micheal got us tables in all the best clubs and restaurants, he was very helpful.
The pool area is beautiful and the service is very good(look for victor he's super friendly) contrary to what some people are saying. The rooms are clean and the food is very good. That's all you need to know, you get what you pay for.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I should start this review out by saying two things, first being this stay was during Art Basel, a very busy weekend and secondly that I was already having issues during booking with the Delano so I should have known better than to keep this reservation.

I booked this hotel about three months before my actual stay. During booking, my credit card was charged accidentally three EXTRA times. When calling to get the situation dealt with, I was greeted with ZERO apology and bad attitude with almost every single person I had to speak with in order to get the money back into my account. I finally had to have my credit card company deal with the Delano. I should have known better at this point that customer service was sub-par. I was going down for a girls weekend and we had gone to a pool party at the Delano during our last trip and fell in love with the hotel. We wanted fancy and decided to risk keeping the reservation. BIG MISTAKE.

When actually getting to the Delano, and speaking in person about the ordeal with the booking mistakes, we were upgraded to a suite. The room was a joke. I know that in a lot of these old art deco Miami hotels the rooms are small...but these rooms are ridiculously small. The room was also DIRTY. Stains on the comforters, stained lampshades, dirty mirrors, stains on the rug. The bathroom was so small and our mirror had a huge crack in it. I'm NOT picky but when you charge over 700 a night for a room, I'd think it could at least be clean...especially if the look youre attempting is chic and all white details.

Anyway, we dealt with it and decided to head to the pool... it took about 30 minutes to get our pool bed set up with towels. My friends and I nearly had to beg for towels. After about an hour of being at the pool we then were told everyone had to leave for a private party...and OH YEAH, the nightclub in the hotel....GUESTS NOT PERMITTED that evening due to a private party. The pool bed set up went on to take forever throughout EVERY SINGLE DAY OF OUR VISIT, not just the first day. Drink service and wait staff was better though.

More and more of the lack of service went on for the weekend...I usually like staying with Kimpton hotels, so luckily the last night of our trip I was able to book a room at the Surflcomber, literally two hotels down and SO MUCH BETTER.

I'd go back to the Delano to hang out at their pool but I WOULD NEVER PAY TO STAY HERE AGAIN. It was such a waste of money and a joke of an upscale hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your detailed review. First, I'd like to apologize. Staying at Delano during Art Basel should always be an unforgettable and positive experience. We put countless hours of effort into creating a flawless stay for our guests as a rule, however, during Art Basel, we pull out all of the stops. You detailed several issues that I would very much like to discuss with you further. I feel that it's imcumbent upon me personally to find a resolution and to address all that you mentioned specifically. Please feel free to contact me @ lee.greenspan@mhgc.com. I'll look forward to speaking with you, and more than that, we would certainly like to have you back. I believe that given the opportunity, we can, without a doubt, turn this around.

Many Thanks,

Lee
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at Mondrian in Hollywood we were eagerly awaiting our stay at Delano. Phenomenal is the one word here that captures it best. Staff, accommodations, grounds, drinks, food, et al. And, contrary to a disgruntled guest unhappy no doubt with life, Danny is the BEST waiter you could ever have!
Book 1120 for a fab ocean view!

• Stayed January 2013
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at other Morgans properties before and enjoyed the experience, but this was our first stay at the Delano, and there are some issues that need to be addressed.

The service at the Delano is horrendous. There were problems everywhere. It took ages on the beach to get drink/food service (we left to go back inside before our order even arrived), and it was even worse at the beach bar. One day, it wasn't even busy, but the bartender still took forever to take our drinks order and then once he did, he gave our leftovers from the cocktail shaker directly to another couple right in front of us. (The same couple that he had been chatting to when he was ignoring us.)

Housecleaning was a nightmare. We came back one afternoon from the beach to find that no one had cleaned our room. I called housekeeping, and they said they would send someone up immediately. No one came. I had to call again, and in the end, our room wasn't cleaned until 5 p.m. Absolutely unacceptable. We made sure to file a complaint, but the manager didn't get back to us until the day before we left. We got a complimentary CD, and I don't know if that's because they felt bad about the service, or if everyone gets one. In any case, I'd rather have good service than a CD.

The lobby of the Delano is gorgeous, but the rooms leave a lot to be desired. The towels were tatty and not soft, and a lightbulb was burned out in the room.

Room service is crazy expensive. Don't bother with that. We ordered cheesesticks for $21.

We stayed in a Deluxe Alcove (which we thought would be much bigger than it was), and the room was on one of the higher floors and relatively quiet, but you could still hear traffic. We didn't have a bathtub, but the rain shower was nice.

It's a weird vibe at the Delano pool. It markets itself as a trendy place, but there were kids running around and doing cartwheels in the pool.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review. You have included a lot of detail and there are several points that are concerning, to say the least. The problems that you experienced include service and housekeeping, the two staples in any great hotel. We pride ourselves on service, including housekeeping service. I assure you that we take this feedback very seriously and have already addressed your negative experience in the appropriate areas.
Regarding pricing, specifically room service, we work daily to ensure that we are competitive in the Miami Beach market. Price points here are higher than some other vacation areas, but we certainly work hard to be fair.
Finally, you mentioned that there were several children at the pool while you were here. This is common during the holidays as families tend to travel together, however, Delano typically caters to adult guests. I apologize if this was inconvenient for you.
Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you're in town. I'm happy to tailor your stay and ensure that the issues above do not repeat.

Many Thanks,

Lee

Been to Delano South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!