“Beautiful hotel, but poor, overpriced service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Delano South Beach Hotel

You added Delano South Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Delano South Beach Hotel
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   1685 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Delano Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off - Best Rate
Ranked #41 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
NYC
“Beautiful hotel, but poor, overpriced service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at other Morgans properties before and enjoyed the experience, but this was our first stay at the Delano, and there are some issues that need to be addressed.

The service at the Delano is horrendous. There were problems everywhere. It took ages on the beach to get drink/food service (we left to go back inside before our order even arrived), and it was even worse at the beach bar. One day, it wasn't even busy, but the bartender still took forever to take our drinks order and then once he did, he gave our leftovers from the cocktail shaker directly to another couple right in front of us. (The same couple that he had been chatting to when he was ignoring us.)

Housecleaning was a nightmare. We came back one afternoon from the beach to find that no one had cleaned our room. I called housekeeping, and they said they would send someone up immediately. No one came. I had to call again, and in the end, our room wasn't cleaned until 5 p.m. Absolutely unacceptable. We made sure to file a complaint, but the manager didn't get back to us until the day before we left. We got a complimentary CD, and I don't know if that's because they felt bad about the service, or if everyone gets one. In any case, I'd rather have good service than a CD.

The lobby of the Delano is gorgeous, but the rooms leave a lot to be desired. The towels were tatty and not soft, and a lightbulb was burned out in the room.

Room service is crazy expensive. Don't bother with that. We ordered cheesesticks for $21.

We stayed in a Deluxe Alcove (which we thought would be much bigger than it was), and the room was on one of the higher floors and relatively quiet, but you could still hear traffic. We didn't have a bathtub, but the rain shower was nice.

It's a weird vibe at the Delano pool. It markets itself as a trendy place, but there were kids running around and doing cartwheels in the pool.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review. You have included a lot of detail and there are several points that are concerning, to say the least. The problems that you experienced include service and housekeeping, the two staples in any great hotel. We pride ourselves on service, including housekeeping service. I assure you that we take this feedback very seriously and have already addressed your negative experience in the appropriate areas.
Regarding pricing, specifically room service, we work daily to ensure that we are competitive in the Miami Beach market. Price points here are higher than some other vacation areas, but we certainly work hard to be fair.
Finally, you mentioned that there were several children at the pool while you were here. This is common during the holidays as families tend to travel together, however, Delano typically caters to adult guests. I apologize if this was inconvenient for you.
Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you're in town. I'm happy to tailor your stay and ensure that the issues above do not repeat.

Many Thanks,

Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Polish first
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Please note the above review, I wrote I made a mistake on the review. I accidently gave a low rating. A big woops. The staff and service at the Delano were outstanding. I thought I was giving the highest rating and gave the lowest. That is what I get for 13 years of higher education. I am so sorry Delano. The hotel gets five stars across the board from me. The staff is absolutely outstanding.. The setting is chic with an international crowd visiting . I visit frequently and never am at a loss to meet interesting people at the hotel. I am treated like an old friend each time I return. Thank you for another outstanding stay. This is Dr. MF writing the review again... Trip advisor staff please feel free to email me to correct my last review that gave one star , I meant five... You have my email.. All the best. mark f

Room Tip: ocean view always nice and higher is always better for me
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Mark!

It's always a pleasure having you. People like yourself make coming to "work" fun! It's been great getting to know you over the last couple of months and we always look forward to your return. Thank you for everything...

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

As a Miami Beach resident, I entertain friends visiting during the winter. I chose to take them to The Delano beach to enjoy relaxing & sunny day beach. We were greeted by Gleb, beach manager, who quickly took care of our lounge chairs & towels. Our Server, Nuno was very friendly and quick to get our order as we had our kids with us and made sure that each one of us were happy. The food was great! no need to leave the beach when you're at The Delano.
By the beach entrance to hotel, security were friendly as they let us use the restrooms.
It's not easy to please three families and kids...BUT the team definitely succeeded!
Thank you again, Gleb, Nuno & Stephanie!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to submit that excellent review! I have already spoken to Gleb and Nuno, thank you for mentioning them specifically, it certainly goes a long way. Next time you're in Miami Beach, feel free to contact me (lee.greenspan@mhgc.com). I'm happy to arrange the full Delano experience for you.. the beach is just one of many unforgettable experiences here!

Speak Soon,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Having stayed in past, I knew to expect top notch service, magnanimous rooms, and a Miami vibe like non other.

Upon arrival, greeted warmly by bellman, brought into the stunning lobby, where Carlos took care of my accomodations. From there, Jean took me to my room, unexpected( thanks Carlos) oceanview!

Jean explained room, hotel amentities, filled my ice bucket, and off to the pool/beach I went.

Pool was as expected in past, a cool vibe, awesome service and drinks. Dave hooked up a bed and from there, I was in Delano heaven!!

Experienced the beach for the next day, sat drinking cold beverages, smoking an Opus X or two cigars, and unwinding.

As always, would chise The Delano over anyone. Went to Juvia, a rooftop restaurant on recommendations of Pedro the concierge. Spot on!! Met many nice people there:-)). All in all, The Delano is " the place and only place " I will stay.

Brent,

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to have met you personally as well. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy everything that we have to offer here. Your experience is exactly what we work to provide for every guest. I'm sure that you'll be returning to Miami Beach, when you do, please let me know. (lee.greenspan@mhgc.com) I'm happy to handle everything for you and to ensure that your next stay is better than the last!

sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is an unique art deco style hotel. the common areas look great, as do the rooms, all done in white.The bathroom was very disappointing as was way too small and had no ventilation and nowhere to hang anything to dry. the pool is fabulous looking but very expensive to use the day beds. easy access to the beach. the breakfasts were very disappointing and the service here was very erratic. Overall a fun place to visit if in Miami.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I had the most fantastic weekend at the Delano. We know luxury travel very well and I have to say it was exquisite without all the fuss. A weekend without children , just romantic pool and showers, in room dining overlooking the beach, luxury designed rooms,fantastic and prompt service using the iPads in the room . The pool bar has very well educated mixologist....I look forward to my next weekend getaway at the Delano.

• Stayed December 2012
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Wow! Thank you for that great review!

You just about summed everything up in a few sentences. We take a lot of pride in successfully combining service and luxury. I'm very happy to hear that you were able to experince all of it.

When you plan your next weekend getaway, please send me a quick note. (lee.greenspan@mhgc.com) I'm happy to arrange all of your accommodations and ensure that you have an experience even better than the last!!

Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

This is an excellent hotel. The concierge can handle anything, the service rivals hotels like Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. I think the strongest point of this hotel is service and atmosphere. We have been here several times. We like Nicholas, the GM - I mentioned I fell asleep during a 15.00 movie and he credited me for it. I also made sure to let him know a group of employees passed me near the elevator - not in uniform, not ready for work, laughing and getting ready....they saw me, a hotel guest, and immediately put on a nice work face and greeted me as if they were on the clock. Jay was put pool guy a lot and he will go a mile out of his way to accommodate us and really knows customer service. Anna is our preferred pool waitress and does the same. We love the white in all the hotel, the cocktails are phoenomenal and the little "store" in a box in our room is so cool.

Our only complaint is that the room service is ridiculously expensive - 75.00 for eggs, toast, bacon, coffee and oj for ONE person. We find ourselves venturing out to other hotels to eat. If it were even 50.00 per person we may order breakfast for two every day.

Hello Jesica,

Thank you for the great and informative review. I had the pleasure of meeting Dyke this morning, I'm sorry I missed you. I've passed along your recognition to Nicolas, Anna and Jay, thank you for mentioning some of our team specifically. I'm glad to hear that they were able to leave a lasting impact.

Regarding breakfast, your point is duly noted. This is certainly something we can look into and discuss the possibility of viable options to make this less of a concern.

Finally, please feel free to reach out to myself or Nicolas directly for your future stays. Either of us can arrange your accommodations and ensure that you leave happy again and again!! (lee.greenspan@mhgc.com)