“Days Inn North Beach Redeux...” 5 of 5 stars

Miami Beach - Days Inn North Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7450 Ocean Terrace, Miami Beach, FL 33141   |
Ranked #131 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Miami, Florida
“Days Inn North Beach Redeux...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I rated this hotel last year and feel compelled to review it again because of the poor reviews other travellers have given it. Over the past year I have stayed in this Days Inn about once a month and haven't had a bad experience yet (and I consider myself Ms. Picky). On my last trip I brought my daughter and granddaughter and they loved it! The neighborhood is absolutely safe. Although you have to use common sense everywhere, I am comfortable walking to the Walgreens around the corner alone at night. The location is nice for families because North Beach has a small city atmosphere and is slower paced than south (South Beach) and north (Bal Harbor). (I was so taken with this section of Miami Beach from earlier stays at the Days Inn, that I bought a house blocks away.) There are wonderful Jewish and Cuban bakeries everywhere for your morning coffee and pastery and good, inexpensive restaurants - Mexican, Thai, Middle Eastern, Cuban, Argentinian, Italian, etc. But do give the hotel's restaurant a try for casual oceanside eats. The staff at the Days Inn are genuinely nice and concerned that your stay is a good one. At this point we are on a first-name, hug-hello basis. The rooms are consistently clean with decent linens and the small refrigerator is nice for wine and sodas. I especially appreciate that the rooms are well-soundproofed so you can't hear the guests in the next rooms (unlike many high-end hotels). For under $10 you can buy a 24-hour parking pass good for anywhere in the neighborhood. There is plenty of parking within steps of the hotel and it is nice not to have to wait around for the valet to get your car. Although there isn't a hotel fitness center, there is a gym within walking distance where you can get a day pass if you need more of a workout than the paved oceanfront runnning path provides. The hotel pool is always sparkling clean maybe because most guests opt for the ocean so it isn't overused. The beach is one of the least congested streaches in Miami with lifeguards and nice facilites for outdoor showering. Plus, you don't have to be a silicone enhanced, thong-wearer to feel comfortable on North Beach. I suggest you check out the North Shore State Recreation Area next to the hotel - a 40+ acre oasis of natural tropical flora and fauna (I've sighted lots of iguanas and parrots) with picnic pavillions (you can pick up picnics-to-go at the nearby Publix supermarket), BBQs, bike trails, a fitness course, playground, boat and kite rental - even a handicap accessable boardwalk. Well used by local families on the weekends, the park is like a private preserve during the week. I had to stay at the Fountainbleau in February for a conference and missed the Days Inn so much that I schlepped there to hang out on the veranda one afternoon, sipping my 2-for-1 Mojitos, relieved to have escaped all the bling and hip of my high-priced hotel room to the south. When my house is finished I won't be staying there anymore, but will book overflow guests at North Beach Days Inn without breaking the bank and with confidence that they will enjoy their stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Grand Junction, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

We stayed here for two nights with three kids. It was very noisy, somewhat clean, nice big room (we were upgraded to a suite for free) and location was right next to beach. Neighborhood isn't the greatest. I wish I would have paid a little more to get something nicer. It was OK for a night or two, but I would not have stayed longer. Parking is not awful, but could have had more free parking.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Panama City Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

We went to Miami to catch a cruise from the port. We came in late one evening so that we could get up early and not be tired the next morning. We were only staying one night, thank goodness. I had booked this hotel several months in advance and got a great rate, or so I thought. After having a hard time trying to find a place to park, we finally got to the front desk. They didn't have a reservation for me. Luckily I had my printout with me because I would not have got as cheap of a rate if I didn't. They were trying to raise my rate from $79 up to $129. After I showed them my confirmation, they gave me a room at the correct price. Luckily they were not at full capacity.

We went up the shabby elevator to our room. I think we were on the 2nd or 3rd floor. We were in a king size room. It was so small and dated. The furnishings were well worn and graffitti scribbled all over them. The bed was very uncomfortable and the pillows were like pancakes. Thankfully I had brought our own pillows. The A/C was a joke. They had a window unit stuck in the wall. Our view was just lovely also. If you stand just right and lean over, you can see the water, otherwise our view was the top of the building next to us.

The bathroom was a dirty joke. There was a toilet with a ring, sink with no counter, and tub with a disgustingly dirty shower curtain. The towels were all crammed on one towel rod. I never took off my flip flops while in the shower or anywhere else in the room for that matter. There never was really hot water, it stayed only warm with only the hot side turned on.

We got thirsty later that night. We found that there is nothing within walking distance of the hotel. After having a hard time finding a parking space to begin with, we decided not to move the car as we probably wouldn't find one later. We used their drink machine, for it to only take our money. We went to the front desk to let them know and they already knew the machine was taking money, but didn't bother to put a sign on the machine. They did however walk back there with us, open it up and give us each a drink from the machine.

The hotel fit the Miami personna, but the hotel was definitely dated and needed a complete renovation. It definitely had potential, but would take alot of work. The area around this hotel was old and most everything was boarded up and closed down. I think there was a CVS or a drugstore near, but that is about all I saw. The neighborhoods that you had to go through to get to this hotel from the interstate were not very good and left me feeling very uncomfortable and unsafe.

I suppose it served us okay, considering we were only there for approximately 12 hours. I wouldn't consider staying there any longer than that though. I could not, in my best judgement, recommend this to anyone. I suggest staying somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
West Lafayette, IN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

We came here on a spring break trip.. hoping to relax at the beach.. One of the girls in our group was taking a nap in one of our rooms while the rest of us were on the beach. Housekeeping knocked on the door, came in and started going through her purse. LUCKILY she woke up and made the lady get out of our room before anything was stolen. The hotel staffs response was "we will fire her".. We no longer felt safe there. Come to find out, the lady/other housekeepers had a stash of items they had taken that day from other people. The staff was incredibly rude and didn't handle the situation how we would have liked. Police had to get involved.. Needless to say.. the beginning of our Spring Break was TERRIBLE. Luckily, after the police forcing them to give us our money back, we ended up in a much nicer hotel. I DO NOT suggest this hotel for anyone.. There is hardly anything around the hotel anyway. A lot of vacant buildings.. There is a CVS and a Walgreens just 1 block away but no fast food places besides Subway within walking distance.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Clermont, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

I came with my 9 month old bay and husband, room was clean with 2 double beds, tv, mini fridge, microwave, safebox and hair dryer, all worked fine. We stayed for 5 nights and requested a crib for the baby at no extra charge. Also free beach towels.
We stayed in a room at the 5th floor with pool/city view. Elevator was working fine, and finally all that was what we expected for the price we payed.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

I read the reviews after I booked and thought I had just ruined a great weekend. It is not a 5 star hotel..... but the room was very clean it did not smell old or bad. The beds were very comfortable, and the staff was friendly. The beach was just across from the Hotel, and restaurants were within walking distance. If you are looking for a place to rest after a great day at the beach this is the place for you.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
FORTALEZA, CE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

Fortunately we slept only a night in this hotel. We arrived at night and gave us a room where they had dirty towels on the bathroom floor, dirty glasses on the table and to much garbage. We change the room and gave us a small room with bed for one person and my reservation I requiered a queen bed , and also appearance of dirt, I complained again at the reception and had so informed, have only that rooml. The bathroom needs a urgent reform. It was a terrible night . Days Inn North Beach anymore. I not recommend for nobody.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Miami Beach - Days Inn North Beach? Share your experiences!