“Fine or the Price!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #124 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
FloridaGardener
“Fine or the Price!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I spent two days here, with a friend while in Miami for a business appointment. First of all, this is a low budget hotel, NOT THE RITZ CARLTON.

There are so many gripers here. My best friend works for a big name Hotel chain in reservations. He is always telling me about the people " who expect everything, for nothing". It would seem a lot of the reviewers here are of that type.

This is an older, Art Deco hotel. It was built in an era before air conditioning. Which is why it has an air shaft off the bathroom. Yes you can hear noises, but you CAN'T hear everything, as some people here have said. I grew up in an apartment building in NYC, that had the exact type of ventilation system. It works efficiently for the purpose that was intended.

The smell everyone complains about, is noticeable in almost EVERY building in Miami. It is a combination of mustiness from the high humidity, as well as the smell of cleaners and the actual decomposition of the building materials themselves. My business was in a high rise office building downtown. I smelled the exact same smell there! I visited the Wolfsonian museum, and guess what? That same smell. You are not in Arizona! This is Miami, where the average humidity is 90?. Which would lead me to my one gripe. The hotel being old, has exposed plumbing. Because of the air conditioning ( which was not there originally ) the pipes condense as well as the tile in the bathrooms. If you don't have the air conditioning, you won't have the problem. That noisy old air shaft, was the way to keep air circulating! Any of you willing to do without the air conditioning?

The carpets were a bit worn, but otherwise our room was clean and comfortable. We had two double beds, and a view of the beach. For with an AARP discount, it was by far one of the best bargains I have seen in a long time. The rooms are exactly as they appear in the ad!

The desk staff were very friendly and courteous. We were here during a very bad tropical storm. I was concerned about the long drive back to the Tampa Bay area. The woman at the desk, was very helpful in showing me exactly where to go and writing it on the map that she gave me. We had no problem finding our way back to the East Coast, following her directions. I wish I had caught her name, I would really like to thank her!

Oh yeah, for those upset by the fact that there are homeless people in the area. You should open your eyes. They are all over Miami even South Beach. It's not the hotels fault! We have the homeless in our area as well. Maybe you live in a town, where they arrest the homeless. Not everyone can afford a Florida vacation. Sorry for you!

Room Tip: Many rooms have a view of the beach. Try to stay away from the elevator, if you are a light sleeper...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend for one night before getting on a cruise the next day. Honestly, the property is right on the beach and is close to shops, restaurants, bus line, liquor store and even a McDonalds. The room was really inexpensive but it was also kinda dirty and there were ants near the window. It was a great option for a one night stay before a cruise, but I wouldn't recommend taking a week-long vacation at this place. Oh also, there are stairs leading into the building which makes getting your luggage inside very difficult :s Last thing, breakfast is NOT included, so if you were made to believe otherwise you should just be aware they have stopped their continental breakfast program.

• Stayed October 2011
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Stayed here in july for 2 nights, would rather have paid expensive than stayed here! There was extremley limated parking, and you had to pay an hourly rate! The hotel was lovely in the reception area, and checking in was made easy. Then we arrived at the room and it was a disaster from then on. The beds had hair in them, the pillows stook of grease, the crpet ws filthy and shoe shad to be worn constanly, we had mouldy food in the fridge, the shower leaked etc. The neighbourhood? Awful, there was lots of homeless and we constantly felt intimated!
On a plus side, the hotel is right on the beach front :)

Room Tip: Pay more for better hotel, it will be worth it in the end. Also try for a room facing the beach, we...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Saint Augustine, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

I was looking for a place on Miami Beach to stay that was safe and not too expensive. I made reservations at this hotel without looking at reviews. I'd lived in Miami before, and had a friend in the North Beach area, and I'd always felt very safe there. Afterwards, I read some of the reviews here and started to regret my decision. Traveling as a single female, returning a little late at night and leaving before sunrise, and there is no hotel parking? I was worried as to how far I was going to have to walk from my car in the dark to the hotel. Also, a previous reviewer made it sound as if this was a very unsafe hotel.

What a mistake - to read the reviews, that is! Every time I came to my hotel, I felt perfectly safe. At night, the area was well-lit and fairly active. There were no "sketchy" people in the area. I was not concerned for my safety *at all* during my stay. North Beach was just as I'd remembered it.

As for the other aspects of the hotel - Michael is a real person, and very friendly and helpful. I didn't get the name of the other staff, but they were also helpful and nice. The hallways were weird - sort of a winding path back to my room. The bed was old and creaky. The blinds in the bathroom were too short and did not cover the window entirely! Fortunately, the glass was frosted so one couldn't see in or out of the bathroom. The room was clean and fine. I have read reviews somewhere saying that the elevator stops on every floor. Didn't do that while I was there - maybe guests complained and they changed it.

This is not a fancy hotel. This is a cheap option in a expensive area. You don't get a lot of extras. You are paying for a decent room in a great location. It does suck that there is no hotel parking, but there is plenty of nearby parking (even though you have to pay for it) so know that even at night, you won't have to walk far to get back to your hotel. Go in knowing all that, and you shouldn't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

dirty, didnt feel safe, difficult to park. Sorry nothing good to say about this hotel. Do yourself a favour and pay a little more and get somewhere else, we did.

Room Tip: Dont check in
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend on Miami Beach. The desk clerk checked us in quickly and gave us our room key. We had an ocean view room with a king bed. It was clean and neat, the air conditioner cooling the room fine. Nice view of the sun comming up in the morning. There are alot of food places around the corner to eat or get breakfast, groceries, etc. Parking is 1 dollar an hr. from 8am till 5pm free after 5pm. not hard to find a parking spot near hotel. South Beach is only about 5 miles from the hotel and easy to travel to. There are also buses that go up and down Collins Av and taxies seem easy to find. All and all a good room to get some sleep and relax as we were out on the go most of the day.

Room Tip: I was on the 4th floor and had a quiet room facing the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Good hotel for the price. Excelent location. Very close of the beach. Not so far from South Beach, Bal Harbour Shops and Aventura Mall.
Very poor breakfast.
Rooms big enough, including refrigerator and microwave.
Staff very kind and helpful.
Some homeless around the hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Miami Beach - Days Inn North Beach? Share your experiences!