I stayed at the Circa 39 for one night in prepration for meeting my sister for several more days at the Fontainebleu. To be honest, this hotel, although obviously more basic, was much more my speed. I needed a quiet place to rest after being up for 36 hrs, and this was perfect. The hotel is 2 blocks from the Indian Creek Rd and 41st street airport express (150) bus stop, so for $2 and change, I was practically door to door from the airport.
The cons (not many, so these will be first):
1) On busy Collins Ave. Not much street ambience. Not standard walking distance to South Beach, if that was the destination you had in mind.
2) Restaurant seating area is undergoing renovation at time of visit, but still serving food in the lobby and bar area. I wasn't bothered by construction noise.
3) Pool area is loud from road noise.
1) No gym. Not so much a con..they don't advertise one, but if you wanted one...
2) Resort fee. Wasn't surprised by it. If its mandatory, why not just roll it into cost of room?
3) Parking fee. Not unique to this hotel, so not a con. Expensive. I planned to not have a car because you don't need one in Miami Beach. Cab, Bus, Walk, Scooter, or bike.
4) Food. I went elsewhere for breakfast as i read mixed reviews.
5) No fridge in room. Probably what keeps the rooms clean.
1) Quiet (e.g. no crazy music blasting in lobby on arrival) very clean hotel. This may be an odd comment, but I liked walking down the hallways to my room. The lighting complemented the patterned carpet, and the knockdown textured white walls were nicely maintained. The trim and moldings were subtle but really made the room and halls look finished.
2) Clean. The room had wood floors, clean crisp upholstery, and was spotless.
3) Little touches. The room had plantation shutters (nice!) a ceiling fan and central AC, a small single serve coffee maker, and a small closet to put everything away. There was a safe for valuables. The bathroom was spotless with glass tile and glass door to shower. Aveda toiletries. Very nice. Lobby and pool were clean and tastefully decorated.
4) Beach chairs. Lets face it. Nice to sit by a pool, but much nicer to go to the beach. it was a block away, included in the resort fee, and very comfortable. Look for the red towels. Umbrellas there. No bathroom at beach. Boardwalk there.
5) Staff was helpful and accommodating. No one stood out to me, but all were nice and smiled. Even the maids!
In all, I really liked this hotel, actually a lot more than the Fontainebleu (mainly because it was more my spped) and would definitely stay here again. I think they did a very nice job on a recent renovation, and they're not trying to be something more than what they are, which always backfires anyway.
Local tips: There is a so so convenience store next door open till midnight, but OK in a pinch for sundries. Walk west over 41st street bridge to Walgreens for cheaper prices, expecially on suntan lotion, soda, snacks. A few blocks west on 41st street is a French bakery with great omelettes, also a few small restaurants (Chicken Kitchen is great for healthier food) and a gas station.
The local busses going south to S. Beach are $2 per person and stop on the Indian Creek Rd and ~40th st, just around the corner. Also, the airport express (150) bus stops at same spot.
I rented a bicycle a block away at a decobike kiosk (decobike.com) with a credit card and rode it around for distance transportation. If you want to keep the bike for the day (not necessary) you need your own lock.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We invite you to enjoy good vibes, eclectic style, and positive energy at Circa 39 Hotel Miami Beach. Our employees are dedicated to providing a cozy, laid-back retreat for savvy travelers who are looking for smart, affordable vacation options. A home away from home for family and friends, a convenient place to gather, or a quiet escape from the every day.Located just across the street from Miami’s platinum-sand beaches and lucent-blue waters, you’ll enjoy the tranquility of our neighborhood as well as the originality of our décor. Recently updated, all guestrooms are fresh and comfortable embracing the hotel’s beach location featuring hues of crisp white and soothing sea-blue with views of the pool, courtyard or city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, HostelBookers, EasyToBook, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Circa 39 Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Circa 39
- Circa 39 Miami Beach