“A welcome rest at Circa 39” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Website Special From $114
Ranked #60 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“A welcome rest at Circa 39”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed at the Circa 39 for one night in prepration for meeting my sister for several more days at the Fontainebleu. To be honest, this hotel, although obviously more basic, was much more my speed. I needed a quiet place to rest after being up for 36 hrs, and this was perfect. The hotel is 2 blocks from the Indian Creek Rd and 41st street airport express (150) bus stop, so for $2 and change, I was practically door to door from the airport.

The cons (not many, so these will be first):

1) On busy Collins Ave. Not much street ambience. Not standard walking distance to South Beach, if that was the destination you had in mind.
2) Restaurant seating area is undergoing renovation at time of visit, but still serving food in the lobby and bar area. I wasn't bothered by construction noise.
3) Pool area is loud from road noise.

The Neutrals:

1) No gym. Not so much a con..they don't advertise one, but if you wanted one...
2) Resort fee. Wasn't surprised by it. If its mandatory, why not just roll it into cost of room?
3) Parking fee. Not unique to this hotel, so not a con. Expensive. I planned to not have a car because you don't need one in Miami Beach. Cab, Bus, Walk, Scooter, or bike.
4) Food. I went elsewhere for breakfast as i read mixed reviews.
5) No fridge in room. Probably what keeps the rooms clean.

The Positives:

1) Quiet (e.g. no crazy music blasting in lobby on arrival) very clean hotel. This may be an odd comment, but I liked walking down the hallways to my room. The lighting complemented the patterned carpet, and the knockdown textured white walls were nicely maintained. The trim and moldings were subtle but really made the room and halls look finished.
2) Clean. The room had wood floors, clean crisp upholstery, and was spotless.
3) Little touches. The room had plantation shutters (nice!) a ceiling fan and central AC, a small single serve coffee maker, and a small closet to put everything away. There was a safe for valuables. The bathroom was spotless with glass tile and glass door to shower. Aveda toiletries. Very nice. Lobby and pool were clean and tastefully decorated.
4) Beach chairs. Lets face it. Nice to sit by a pool, but much nicer to go to the beach. it was a block away, included in the resort fee, and very comfortable. Look for the red towels. Umbrellas there. No bathroom at beach. Boardwalk there.
5) Staff was helpful and accommodating. No one stood out to me, but all were nice and smiled. Even the maids!

In all, I really liked this hotel, actually a lot more than the Fontainebleu (mainly because it was more my spped) and would definitely stay here again. I think they did a very nice job on a recent renovation, and they're not trying to be something more than what they are, which always backfires anyway.

Local tips: There is a so so convenience store next door open till midnight, but OK in a pinch for sundries. Walk west over 41st street bridge to Walgreens for cheaper prices, expecially on suntan lotion, soda, snacks. A few blocks west on 41st street is a French bakery with great omelettes, also a few small restaurants (Chicken Kitchen is great for healthier food) and a gas station.
The local busses going south to S. Beach are $2 per person and stop on the Indian Creek Rd and ~40th st, just around the corner. Also, the airport express (150) bus stops at same spot.
I rented a bicycle a block away at a decobike kiosk (decobike.com) with a credit card and rode it around for distance transportation. If you want to keep the bike for the day (not necessary) you need your own lock.

Room Tip: I wanted quiet...the back of the hotel away from pool and Collins is likely the quietest. Slept like...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife and i went to miami for our honeymoon from toronto. We booked online and when we arrived at the hotel they told us they had no space! Reservations are supposed to reserve a room for you! We were given a room at the palms a sister resort. That cost us an extra cab ride. When we got to the palms our room had to twin beds! Some honeymoon! We had to pay an extra 50 dollars to upgrade to a room with a queen. We ended up spending 350 dollars not to stay at circa 39. Do not bother wasting your time...

• Stayed March 2013
Alma C, Manager at Circa 39 Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
I am disappointed to hear of this unfortunate experience. We regret the inconvenience you and your wife have experienced and understand your concerns. Please know that your satisfaction is priority at Circa 39 Hotel and I would like to discuss this matter further. Kindly email me at alma@circa39.com
Warm Regards,
Alma Cue
Circa 39 Hotel Management
Marco Island, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Booked this hotel blind on Priceline who ended up having the best price. Once I knew the hotel I would be staying at I checked around because I had time to kill. I looked for a three star hotel, location Miami Beach on the Priceline web site.

All that being said, I got a King Room which was on the small side but I was alone and it worked well for me. The staff at the desk was very helpful and friendly and had no problem with me checking in two+ hours early. First time I ever had hardwood floors in a room and kind of liked that. I'm sure it is easier to keep clean and overall the room was very clean. There were two minor things not worth talking about here. Tv was not working when I turned it on but I was leaving and when I got back it was working fine. I see others had problems with WiFi but worked fine in the room I had.

Because it was pouring rain I thought I would go work out in The Fitness Center which they show they have on the web site, however, they don't have a fitness center. They do however have a sister hotel a couple blocks away where you can go. I would recommend just taking that off the web site. I was not going to walk or run a couple blocks in the pouring rain. Reminded me of a hotel in fl that I stayed at years ago that advertised a pool and my son went to look at it and came back to say the pool was filled with mud and had alligators in it. Well I guess they had a pool. That would be the only real negative thing about the hotel.

Didn't dine here or visit the bar and the pool looked clean in the rain.

NOTE.......$25.00 parking but street parking is $1 an hour and I wanted to make sure I had a place to park near by. Also, $8 house fee covers WiFi, pool towels, beach chairs and towels and something else I forget. I only used the WiFi as the rain never stopped. I am used to having WiFi included in the cost of the room. I would recommend just making it part of the room fee not a surcharge. I felt they were overcharging for the parking and the house fee. Did notice a lot of cars parked in the hotel lot with no parking pass. Maybe you just pay when you book thru Priceline as the Priceline price was $30+ less then the hotel posted price on their own web site. This is why I would rate the value as AVERAGE.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with cool pool and shaded areas. This is just across the street from the beach but next to Collins ave which is a busy road. The rooms were of a good size and the bathrooms were very nice. The hotel breakfast was well worth the 10 dollars and the staff were extremely pleasant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel was nice and clean with a great price tag. The service there was great. We arrived in Miami around 1030 and check in was not until 3. Helen the front desk agent stored our luggage and welcomed us to relax by the pool and have lunch. We did and she was able to get us in our room before we even finished lunch. The concierge/ bell boy refused our tip and told us not to worry about it. The rooms are small and minimalistic but we had no plans on spending much time in the room. The pool area is nice. The food is not so great. We didnt waste our time having breakfast there because of what other reviews said. We had breakfast across the street at the Marriot for $14.99 for the buffet. The Wifi is spotty in the rooms but is fine in the lobby and pool areas but it is free. The resort fee includes use of there chairs on the beach and towel. Overall, it was a great stay. We would come back and recommend to others.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

The hotel has a good location, closed to the beach. Rooms are modern and clean. The Wifi service they offer however, just terrible! Very slow connection. Also are there some rooms with the remote control for ceiling light and fan programmed on the same coding. Nice surprise when the neighbor switches on you light and ceiling fan at night :-)

• Stayed April 2013
Nice, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were visiting Miami for the first time and wished to explore Miami Beach for a few days even though we were already staying with friends in Doral. This hotel had mostly good reviews. Compared with South Beach, prices are lower but there are are less restaurants and bars in the vicinity. We liked the rather minimalist design. The room was very clean, the bathroom nicely designed. The AC was rather noisy, There was a problem with the ceiling fan/light that went on randomly. The hotel took care of this rapidly. The staff was friendly. Their own brasserie served decent meals for lunch and dinner although the menu was limited to just a few options. The breakfast was served in the same room, on some busy mornings there seemed to be too little tables. The breakfast served was satisfactory but cost us $ 9.95/pp.
If you don't mind the distance to Lincoln Rd, the Art Deco District etc the hotel can be warmly recommended for the budged minded traveler.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alma C, Manager at Circa 39 Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for not only being our recent guest but also for taking the time to share your Circa experience with us! We appreciate your kind words in regards to our property and I am glad that the issue with the ceiling fan was rapidly resolved. Thank you again for providing this feedback, it allows us to evaluate and ensure a pleasant stay for our guests. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again whenever your travels bring you back to our beautiful city.
Warm regards,
Alma Cue
Circa 39 Hotel Management

Been to Circa 39 Hotel? Share your experiences!